SPOILER ALERT - New Spell Quest - Zander's Very Own Spell - Wizard101 Forum and Wizard101 Wiki
Wizard101 Central - Powered by vBulletin
  • Aggressive
  • Alienated
  • Amazed
  • Amazed2
  • Amused2
  • Angelic
  • Angry2
  • Apelike
  • Artistic
  • Balanced
  • Bashful
  • Blah
  • Bookworm
  • Bored
  • Breezy
  • Brooding
  • Busy
  • Chatty
  • Cheeky
  • Cheerful
  • Cloud 9
  • Cold
  • Confused
  • Cool2
  • Creative
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Daring
  • Devilish
  • Disagree
  • Doh
  • Doubtful
  • Drama Queen
  • Dreaming
  • Elated
  • Energetic
  • Fiendish
  • Fine
  • Gloomy
  • Goofy
  • Grumpy2
  • Happy2
  • Hot
  • In Pain
  • Innocent2
  • Insomnious
  • Inspired
  • Lonely
  • Lucky
  • Lurking
  • Mellow
  • Mischievious
  • Monday Blues
  • Musical
  • Nerdy
  • No Mood
  • Not Amused
  • Notworthy
  • Paranoid
  • Pensive
  • Predatory
  • Procrastinating
  • Psychedelic
  • Relaxed
  • Sad2
  • Scared
  • Scurvy
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Sleeping
  • Sleepy
  • Sluggish
  • Sneaky2
  • Snobbish
  • Spooky
  • Sporty
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Sunshine
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Thinking
  • Torn
  • Twisted
  • Vegged Out
  • Volatile
  • Woot
  • Worried
  • Yee Haw
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrg!
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh!
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • At Work
  • Eating
  • Editing
  • Lagging
  • Netflix
  • No Status
  • PC Gaming
  • PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
      Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

SPOILER ALERT - New Spell Quest - Zander's Very Own Spell

Maybe I'm just getting a little harder to please these days, but I miss that feeling when getting a new spell was a special milestone. We'd look forward to reaching the correct level and running to see our Teachers for the new quest, nervous about being able to defeat a new boss solo. I'll always remember having to defeat Freddy Nine-Lives nine times to get my spell in Marleybone, or the multiple trials that led to recruiting Sir Bedevere as a minion in Avalon.

Seriously -- this was quite... anti-climactic - hardly better than just getting awarded the spell during the story. After all of the hype I heard about "We're going back to having special spell quests," Life Wizards having to defeat a couple of mobs was unforgettably simple as spell quests go, and the fact that this is Zander's Very Own Spell made me kind of sad.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

icourt is online now Wiki Master

• icourt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jack MythBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Plucky Gryphon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Re: SPOILER ALERT - New Spell Quest - Zander's Very Own Spell

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Maybe I'm just getting a little harder to please these days, but I miss that feeling when getting a new spell was a special milestone. We'd look forward to reaching the correct level and running to see our Teachers for the new quest, nervous about being able to defeat a new boss solo. I'll always remember having to defeat Freddy Nine-Lives nine times to get my spell in Marleybone, or the multiple trials that led to recruiting Sir Bedevere as a minion in Avalon.

Seriously -- this was quite... anti-climactic - hardly better than just getting awarded the spell during the story. After all of the hype I heard about "We're going back to having special spell quests," Life Wizards having to defeat a couple of mobs was unforgettably simple as spell quests go, and the fact that this is Zander's Very Own Spell made me kind of sad.

The spell quests are so disappointing. The Myth quest was 2 mobs together and then 1 mob by itself. The Storm quest was even more disappointing, being just a single mob...

The Wallaru solo fights are harder than that. I guess they just wanted these spells to be super easy to get :/

Court
      Wiki-Master

Dylan Windwalker is offline Transcendent Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

I don't have any problems with the Rainbow Serpent spell personally since I use it on my new Balance-Storm set. But it's certainly not for everybody. I was gonna make a thread about it much later because I'm not super comfy about giving out any spoilers so soon.

But the spell quest for that spell, which literally was to defeat one single mob in Azteca with 4000 health. That's ridiculous. That's weaker than the boss that is necessary for the level 88 spell... in Azteca (Huemac Spear Wreath with 12,680 Health). And everybody who has gotten to the point of the potential to getting Rainbow Serpent has certainly the capability of facing a boss just as strong, if not stronger, alone in a solo quest. I don't understand how this 4000 health mob is catering to the lower threshold of weaker players based on this logic of what they're already capable of doing.

Sure, I soloed Iron Face, who has 100,000 health so maybe I'm not in that lower threshold of weaker player and can't speak to what they can't and are willing to do. But on the contrary.... c'mon 4000 health?? Maybe they forgot to add the boss in the second boss with Idk 40,000 health. And with enough blades stacking, any player at level 160 could do that much with a loaded judgement.
      Last edited by Dylan Windwalker; 11-30-23 at 3:10:51 PM.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Jonathan Greenflame is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Jonathan Greenflame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jonathan Greenflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Bubba
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wintry Elf
      ----

Mood:
      Confused

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

I think this is why creating a new wizard and playing the first couple arcs are the most fun. I got the Zander spell as well and have to admit that I had the feeling "this is all I need to do". There was no challenge, excitement or sense of accomplishment. Off topic here, does every new spell they create going to be a long, drawn out cartoon? Why can't they make them simple again, like Imp?

Dylan Windwalker is offline Transcendent Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

I saw the Zander Spell when a lady used it in Kingsland and honestly I liked the animation for it. It was very reminiscent of Ninja Pigs and Ninha Piglets. I wouldn't want to change it into something less spectacular just for small inconveniences like time. The Rainbow Serpent animation spell really didn't speak balance though. I guess the concept of the spell was balance themed...

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Flash33 is online now Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Twitchy Chester
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold
      Blog Entries

For fire the quest involved checking in with Sparck in Empyrea and fighting 3 particular shadow creatures (a Shadow Seraph and its 2 minions) planning an Empyrea takeover now that Bat is gone (Seraph delcaring it be the master of the sky, Shrike the sea (even though it can't swim) and Sentinel the land (who wants to be the sky master even though it can't fly). The fight wasn't too difficult though the quest dialogue overall was the real highlight. Personally I'm not too bothered by not having super difficult or long spell quests if it means the dialogue and spells are good, though there's nothing wrong with having a balance of both.

As for spell length I'm fine with Phantasmania's length and don't really get the argument that spells should only be about 5 or so seconds long. While I understand not wanting super drawn out spells I also understand that we're not dealing with the rank 1-3 attack/heal spells we used as novices anymore (spellwriting aside), and expecting all spells to be copies of them feels unreasonable. We're more powerful wizards now so naturally the more powerful spells are gonna take longer to cast than the simpler less powerful ones. Besides, it could be worse, we could be living in a world where aoes don't hit all targets at once (anyone remember Call of Khrulhu's or the rank 7 aoes old lengths? I sure do).

Overall it feels to me like the argument boils down to "make spell quests long and drawn out like in the early arcs but also make the spells themselves speedrunner friendly like in the newer arcs."

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
      Overall it feels to me like the argument boils down to "make spell quests long and drawn out like in the early arcs but also make the spells themselves speedrunner friendly like in the newer arcs."
      Not at all. The argument is whether questing wizards are looking to be drawn into the story and feel a sense of adventure when doing a SPECIAL quest for a new spell, or are they looking to skip the questing/dialogue and be given powerful spells quickly so they can speedrun the new world in just a couple of days. Me, I want a sense of adventure, and an engaging story that will keep me busy for more than five minutes.

Animations are getting more and more dramatic and cinematic, so they feel longer. I really appreciate the art and creativity involved. They may be getting carried away with some of them at this point, though. I wonder if they have an art department internal competition going on.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Flash33 is online now Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Twitchy Chester
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Not at all. The argument is whether questing wizards are looking to be drawn into the story and feel a sense of adventure when doing a SPECIAL quest for a new spell, or are they looking to skip the questing/dialogue and be given powerful spells quickly so they can speedrun the new world in just a couple of days. Me, I want a sense of adventure, and an engaging story that will keep me busy for more than five minutes.

Animations are getting more and more dramatic and cinematic, so they feel longer. I really appreciate the art and creativity involved. They may be getting carried away with some of them at this point, though. I wonder if they have an art department internal competition going on.

I thought about that, and perhaps I could've worded it better, but ultimately I feel it's a situation where you can't please everyone. The people who skip through everything will get mad if it takes more than a few seconds or minutes to get through, while the people who like to read everything will get mad if it's not long and drawn out like some spell quests in arcs 1 and 2 were. I like a good story too and admit some of the spell quests in the early arcs were neat* but I can also admit that at times some of them felt like they were long for the sake of it (i.e. needless padding).

*While the ones this time around were short considering it's the first time in years it may be just them testing the waters, and while I did like it I can also see why it feels too short.