Do you think people talk too much or not enough? - Wizard101 Forum and Wizard101 Wiki
Wizard101 Central - Powered by vBulletin
  • Aggressive
  • Alienated
  • Amazed
  • Amazed2
  • Amused2
  • Angelic
  • Angry2
  • Apelike
  • Artistic
  • Balanced
  • Bashful
  • Blah
  • Bookworm
  • Bored
  • Breezy
  • Brooding
  • Busy
  • Chatty
  • Cheeky
  • Cheerful
  • Cloud 9
  • Cold
  • Confused
  • Cool2
  • Creative
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Daring
  • Devilish
  • Disagree
  • Doh
  • Doubtful
  • Drama Queen
  • Dreaming
  • Elated
  • Energetic
  • Fiendish
  • Fine
  • Gloomy
  • Goofy
  • Grumpy2
  • Happy2
  • Hot
  • In Pain
  • Innocent2
  • Insomnious
  • Inspired
  • Lonely
  • Lucky
  • Lurking
  • Mellow
  • Mischievious
  • Monday Blues
  • Musical
  • Nerdy
  • No Mood
  • Not Amused
  • Notworthy
  • Paranoid
  • Pensive
  • Predatory
  • Procrastinating
  • Psychedelic
  • Relaxed
  • Sad2
  • Scared
  • Scurvy
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Sleeping
  • Sleepy
  • Sluggish
  • Sneaky2
  • Snobbish
  • Spooky
  • Sporty
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Sunshine
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Thinking
  • Torn
  • Twisted
  • Vegged Out
  • Volatile
  • Woot
  • Worried
  • Yee Haw
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrg!
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh!
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • At Work
  • Eating
  • Editing
  • Lagging
  • Netflix
  • No Status
  • PC Gaming
  • PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
      Dylan Windwalker is online now Transcendent Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Do you think people talk too much or not enough?

A social and philosophical question to throw at you!

Do you think people are talking too much? Or not talking enough?

I know this is very situational but I want you to think as generally as you can and there's no right answer because there are really good arguments for either. Talking is the main way of communicating and people need to communicate in order to inspire action or make a difference in those that need it. But not talking is the epitome of peace and quiet, the tranquility that our hearts desire deep down and where nature can meet us!!

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

The Lone Ninja Escapist is offline Legendary Wizard

• The Lone Ninja Escapist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sarah BattleThief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight, Maximus, Toby, Diesel
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Heckhound, Storm Hound, Orthrus, Danger Hound

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Do you think people talk too much or not enough?

I think in this day and age, people are talking too much.

It's great that we've expanded how we can communicate, but I wish everyone would appreciate the things that are not said. A friendly gesture like a hug or a small gift speaks more than wrapping around the words to redundantly show your appreciation for someone.
      I can't, for the life of me, express gratitude very well with words. Instead, I take on nonverbal things like giving my time and attention to listen, share things I like, and do something for someone in return for what they've done for me. I'm a show vs tell kind of person, because socializing takes too much energy from me to do everyday.

And then there's small talk. I don't know why we still do small talk. It's boring, it's repetitive. It's TOO POLITE when that person initiating it obviously needs/wants to talk to you, but they have to do it in a roundabout way for some reason. Conversations need to be trimmed down; just get to the point of the subject and we're done. We don't need another round of "How are you? What'd you do this weekend?" etc.. If technology was made so we can make communication seamless, we should be doing the same orally.

So yes, I think people talk to much. Not everyone wants to talk about the same thing everyday, if it's not something cool or important. Also, I think others should know that not everything needs to explained, and to give us silent folks some slack for not replicating our thoughts or emotions the same way as they do.

Pegasus Unbound is offline Legendary Wizard

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Red face Re: Do you think people talk too much or not enough?

I don't think the answer to this is so simple; I wish it was but I think there are so many things that have changed our communication.

Thanks to various issues, I personally tend to talk/communicate too much for some people. Please try to understand that this is to ensure my messages are understood clearly since I live in great fear that if I am not careful and complete...I will be often misunderstood. At the same time, I do tend to avoid the "$10" words as my Grandmother used to call them. As a child, I actually read and reread dictionaries and encyclopedias giving me a very extensive vocabulary (80% of which I do not used unless it is to help some of my friends in Hawaii, Japan and Taiwan with their term papers in their English classes). My communication style is called "conversational" as opposed to the "technical' or "grammatical" style.

Having been open about my own communication, I feel safe to turn to my observations of other peoples communication without trying to sound critical of them. Right now, thanks to Email, texts, cell phones, etc. the art of communication has been lost in the rush to hurry and be done with it; just look at the the abbreviations that have been created because people just don't have time the internet was created.
      Communication used to mean talking face to face, or sitting down with pen and paper to tell someone what we felt or were thinking. That "personal touch" is all but gone. Sadly I have actually had people here at Central say (Via PM) that I "talk too much" simply because I personally feel I owe the reader a complete message.

So my answer to this is actually... "none of the above"; instead I would rather people remember that communication in any form is a 2 way street. The message we send and the way it is sent is vital AND the message we get back is equally vital; but if either message was incomplete or did not properly covey the feelings of the sender...the entire "conversation" will be a failure regardless of how long or short the communication was.

So there you have it, my "long winded" answer. For those who want to send me PM about having talked too much, all I can say is...

"Verbose" Hugs,

Van

AluraMist is online now Wiki Master

• AluraMist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jennifer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      ... Do you think people are talking too much? Or not talking enough? ...
      I think the problem today is that people are all talk and no action.
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Trikru is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Trikru's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tanner Titan
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Misty
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fog Unicorn

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

This question has no one answer. You must take into account whether the person speaking belongs to an individualistic culture or a collectivistic culture. There are many psychological, sociological, anthropological, and many 'ological' reasons why people tend to speak more or less. My personal philosophy is to respect others for their differences. I myself tend to be more meek and reserved, but if I am speaking with someone that is rather loquacious and/or extraverted, I do not judge for how much they tend to speak as compared to myself. Some people may construe my general reticence as rude, but I hope that one day society can appreciate that humans are not a homogenous body and that they differ in personalities and talkativeness. Me being shy and taciturn does not equate to me not being interested in the conversation at hand when conversing with others-- rather, it is indicative of my personal struggles and anxieties in social situations. Let people talk or not talk. We are all human and deserve to be heard and/or unheard dependingly.
      Last edited by Trikru; 8-27-23 at 4:29:33 AM.

Pegasus Unbound is offline Legendary Wizard

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Red face Re: Do you think people talk too much or not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by AluraMist View Post
      I think the problem today is that people are all talk and no action.

This is very true. I have been guilty of this as I want to get something started only to find others have no interest. I guess I just prefer to be "behind the scenes"...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trikru View Post
      This question has no one answer. You must take into account whether the person speaking belongs to an individualistic culture or a collectivistic culture. There are many psychological, sociological, anthropological, and many 'ological' reasons why people tend to speak more or less. My personal philosophy is to respect others for their differences. I myself tend to be more meek and reserved, but if I am speaking with someone that is rather loquacious and/or extraverted, I do not judge for how much they tend to speak as compared to myself. Some people may construe my general reticence as rude, but I hope that one day society can appreciate that humans are not a homogenous body and that they differ in personalities and talkativeness. Me being shy and taciturn does not equate to me not being interested in the conversation at hand when conversing with others-- rather, it is indicative of my personal struggles and anxieties in social situations. Let people talk or not talk. We are all human and deserve to be heard and/or unheard dependingly.
      I agree 100%, there are so many things involved...but I am glad that it is being discussed.

Hugs,

Van

LuckyDuck is offline Journeyman Wizard

• LuckyDuck's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Mackenzie BearBlood (1 of many)
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  --
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Still working on the perfect pet

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

I love questions like these!

I'd much rather have someone else talk and guide the conversation than do it myself. In real life, I'm so quiet to the point that some people get uncomfortable with me. I have opinions, but they're mostly kept to myself unless they ask for it. People expect a back-and-forth exchange to fill that need for social connection, but I'm not good at returning, haha. So being too quiet can be detrimental at times.

What can be learned from this extreme is that when you speak less, you listen more. And the few responses you give are often thoughtfully calculated rather than impulsive. So I wouldn't say that lack of speech around others is the epitome of peace, per se, but I do believe holding your tongue in order to gather more information is key to meaningful communication. Oftentimes the questions you had when hearing their first sentence are answered by the time they finish their paragraph, so just let them talk.

So I guess my answer is complicated. I don't think we should be concerned about how much/how little a person speaks so much as how well they listen. What's the point of talking if no one hears?

It's funny you posted this thread not long after I read this quote in a book:
      "Nature hath given men one tongue but two ears, that we may hear from others twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

Ravino. is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Ravino.'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jonathan DeathShield
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Grim Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ianthine Spectre

Mood:
      Not Amused

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

Never really thought of conversation as something to be measured and especially not in the molds of "too much" and "not enough". There's no true standard of what's the "right" amount of talking you should be doing, we create that notion ourselves based our perception of society which is VERY subjective and most often shrouded in bias generated from the social role we tend to play, how well we fit in, the kind of relationships we each pursue et cetera.

In fact, to answer your question is reserve, whether I talk too little or too much will depend entirely on who you ask.

I can't handle small talk and chit chat for more than one or two hours a day so if that's the kind of "talking" I'm engaging with, I'm gonna be a very quiet guy who needs to "loosen up".

Now if you have something other than filler to talk about, I can be very talkative. I've never been told I talk too much to my face, but this might well be a consequence of how the people who engage me in such conversation already expected or sought to have it. Others have, however, noted how much I talk to certain individuals and I know my idea of a good conversation is actually quite insufferable to certain people I know because it's not what they are after in some respect.

In the end we aren't really talking about other people's habits, whatever we say about the way "people" talk says nothing about them but it reveals a lot about ourselves. Our opinion of others all comes down to what we want, or would like, from them and how well they're meeting these expectations, yet it most often leaves out what said people want for themselves.

~R
      Last edited by Ravino.; 8-27-23 at 3:23:36 PM.

KingNothing is online now Legendary Wizard

• KingNothing's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chris Ravenblood
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Cryptclops

Mood:
      Fine

PvP Tournaments Joined
      PvP Tournaments Won
      Gold

I'm not a big talker. I come from a time when you speak when spoken to and when you do speak, be clear, concise and to the point. I also like to get on with it. When making your point, make it and let's move on. I'm never rude, though it's my belief my body language tells a story. LOL. I'm working on it.
      "Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale." -Brennan Huff