RIP Dell Aldrich (Narrator, Grandmother Raven). - Wizard101 Forum and Wizard101 Fansite

• Aggressive
  • Alienated
  • Amazed
  • Amazed2
  • Amused2
  • Angelic
  • Angry2
  • Apelike
  • Artistic
  • Balanced
  • Bashful
  • Blah
  • Bookworm
  • Bored
  • Breezy
  • Brooding
  • Busy
  • Chatty
  • Cheeky
  • Cheerful
  • Cloud 9
  • Cold
  • Confused
  • Cool2
  • Creative
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Daring
  • Devilish
  • Disagree
  • Doh
  • Doubtful
  • Drama Queen
  • Dreaming
  • Elated
  • Energetic
  • Fiendish
  • Fine
  • Gloomy
  • Goofy
  • Grumpy2
  • Happy2
  • Hot
  • In Pain
  • Innocent2
  • Insomnious
  • Inspired
  • Lonely
  • Lucky
  • Lurking
  • Mellow
  • Mischievious
  • Monday Blues
  • Musical
  • Nerdy
  • No Mood
  • Not Amused
  • Notworthy
  • Paranoid
  • Pensive
  • Predatory
  • Procrastinating
  • Psychedelic
  • Relaxed
  • Sad2
  • Scared
  • Scurvy
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Sleeping
  • Sleepy
  • Sluggish
  • Sneaky2
  • Snobbish
  • Spooky
  • Sporty
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Sunshine
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Thinking
  • Torn
  • Twisted
  • Vegged Out
  • Volatile
  • Woot
  • Worried
  • Yee Haw
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrg!
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh!
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • At Work
  • Eating
  • Editing
  • Lagging
  • Netflix
  • No Status
  • PC Gaming
  • PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
        Flash33 is online now Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

RIP Dell Aldrich (Narrator, Grandmother Raven).

Found this out on Twitter today but the voice of the Narrator and Grandmother Raven, Dell Aldrich, has passed away at 91. May she rest in peace. Credit to Voices of the Spiral (a Twitter account dedicated to documenting the VAs in the Spiral) for the information and the attached photo.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unhappy Re: RIP Dell Aldrich (Narrator, Grandmother Raven).

I saw the topic for your thread and my heart sank. I had to have a cup of coffee before I could find the strength to open what I knew would be bad news.

The very sound of her voice from day 1 of our journey in the Spiral was always a great comfort and something I eagerly looked forward to every time I logged on. The character of Grandmother raven was perfect as our guide, narrator and Guardian BUT it was Dell Aldrich and her voice that brought the iconic character to life. She was more than just a voice, she was the very soul of the character and even the game itself. I pray that KI will NEVER have ANYONE record a new track of her voice as Grandmother Raven, @Sparck please pass my prayer on to the KI powers that be.

Since the September that the game first came out of Beta, I have always counted on hearing her voice to soothe and calm me when needed. I even have a side account specifically set up for being able to stay in the lower areas and relive those beginning memories.

I can not begin to process the great loss of someone who became so special, and yet we know so little about her as a person. I hope KI will do us the Honor of telling us more about Dell Aldrich the person who we all came to love as our very special Grandmother Raven.

This is how I saw her in the game...

Name:  grandmother raven 002.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  74.7 KB

This is now how I see her in Heaven...

Name:  grandmother raven 001.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  87.4 KB

Rest in Peace Dell Aldrich, may your voice continue to give us comfort forever.

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: RIP Dell Aldrich (Narrator, Grandmother Raven).

@Pegasus Unbound Actually the Narrator wasn't originally voiced by anyone and was only given one later on. I don't remember when exactly it happened but I believe it wasn't until arc 2 came out that they were finally given a VA. As for not giving her another voice someone on Twitter pointed out that we haven't had a narrator since Empyrea, which coincidentally is also the end of the Raven/Spider conflict.

Will we ever get another narrator? Who knows, but it's not unheard of for characters to be retired once their VA dies (Colonel Roy Campbell from Metal Gear Solid was retired once his Japanese VA Takeshi Aono died as MGS creator Hideo Kojima said that to him no one else could voice him but Takeshi) so it's possible the same will apply to Raven and the Narrator as well. Personally I've never been a fan of this practice, as while I get it's done out of respect it just feels like an unnatural way to retire characters, but that's just me.
      Last edited by Flash33; 10-5-22 at 2:00:20 PM.

Lightdragon is offline Legendary Wizard

• Lightdragon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Liam RavenShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  artic fox

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
      @Pegasus Unbound Actually the Narrator wasn't originally voiced by anyone and was only given one later on. I don't remember when exactly it happened but I believe it wasn't until arc 2 came out that they were finally given a VA. As for not giving her another voice someone on Twitter pointed out that we haven't had a narrator since Empyrea, which coincidentally is also the end of the Raven/Spider conflict. Will we ever get another narrator? Who knows, but it's not unheard of for characters to be retired once their VA dies (Colonel Roy Campbell from Metal Gear Solid was retired once his Japanese VA Takeshi Aono died as MGS creator Hideo Kojima said that to him no one else could voice him but Takeshi) so it's possible the same will apply to Raven and the Narrator as well, but again who knows?
      I came in just a week or so when Wintertusk went into test realm. and Celestia was already live. I do recall her in there. My guess she was too sick to do the voice overs so they wrote her out of it. Hopefully they will not replace her as they did with Ashley the fire tree in DS and a few other VA's .

May she rest in peace.
      Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
      @Pegasus Unbound Actually the Narrator wasn't originally voiced by anyone and was only given one later on. I don't remember when exactly it happened but I believe it wasn't until arc 2 came out that they were finally given a VA. As for not giving her another voice someone on Twitter pointed out that we haven't had a narrator since Empyrea, which coincidentally is also the end of the Raven/Spider conflict.

Will we ever get another narrator? Who knows, but it's not unheard of for characters to be retired once their VA dies (Colonel Roy Campbell from Metal Gear Solid was retired once his Japanese VA Takeshi Aono died as MGS creator Hideo Kojima said that to him no one else could voice him but Takeshi) so it's possible the same will apply to Raven and the Narrator as well. Personally I've never been a fan of this practice, as while I get it's done out of respect it just feels like an unnatural way to retire characters, but that's just me.
      I seem to recall the narrator in Krok. Either way, the memories are there.

No, we don't have a narrator in later parts of the game, but that has not stopped them from changing old voices in the past.

All the other stuff is not important to me, what is important is to honor an important part of W101 history and protect what she did. Some voices are iconic and their legacy protected and left alone and unchanged. Her character is no longer in play, but like in othe situations, they can rewrite the script and change the voice which is what I pray they never do.

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Unbound View Post
      I seem to recall the narrator in Krok. Either way, the memories are there.

No, we don't have a narrator in later parts of the game, but that has not stopped them from changing old voices in the past.

All the other stuff is not important to me, what is important is to honor an important part of W101 history and protect what she did. Some voices are iconic and their legacy protected and left alone and unchanged. Her character is no longer in play, but like in othe situations, they can rewrite the script and change the voice which is what I pray they never do.
      I totally get that, and something I should've clarified is that I think situations like changing VAs should be done on a case by case basis and only when it makes sense to do so. For example when Billy Kametz stepped down from VA work due to stage 4 colon cancer (which sadly later turned out to be fatal) some of his roles had to be recast (Naofumi Iwatani from The Rising of the Shield Hero being a prime example where Stephen Fu took over for S2), which in that case made sense.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

If there's anything in W101 that I will never complain about, in fact I think Ki does this incredibly well, it's the way they've picked their voice actors and their music. I don't think they've ever made a poor choice in the character's portrayal and Dell Aldrich is no exception. While I don't know exactly who voices who in W101 (and I'm assuming Nelson Everhart composes a lot of the musical pieces, but I know there's other musicians and artists out there Ki reaches out to), and it doesn't help that I will never get a twitter and hardly ever browse through the platform, I have the utmost respect for those people's craft. I hope Dell Aldrich's voice lives on through Novus, like maybe she recorded her lines already, however I'm not sure since I know Novus is probably still in early or mid development. But this also brings up opportunities to turn her into a special NPC in that world that can honor her. Or perhaps the return of Grandmother Raven into the story??

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

It's crazy to think of just how many kids grew up listening to her calming voice as it guided them through the Spiral. Her contributions to this community will be remembered fondly for many years to come.
      Yet it cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory - Machiavelli // I also write my own stuff ~

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: RIP Dell Aldrich (Narrator, Grandmother Raven).

@Sparck

I don't know if it is possible (family permission, etc.) but could you guys look into some sort of statue or something honoring Dell? Since the first time we meet Grandmother Raven in person is in Wintertusk, I think that would be the most appropriate place. Her voice work of such a vital character is something that needs proper recognition and a way to "visit" with her. I would even go so far as to make/design some sort of memorial housing item to remember her by. I don't know if she was involved in any charity, but I think it would be a great way to honor her by supporting one she cared about.

Lastly, in light of the issue, the next Plush from Makeship should be Grandmother Raven.

@Jester, would it be asking too much for some kind of Grandmother Raven emojie?

Thanks.

Oxnhorse is offline Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I understand all the sentiments being given, and honestly, I love many of the suggestions. Technically, Grandmother Raven was kinda set aside after the ending of Empyrea, but the narration continued on into the 4th Arc, cause I thought her narration was used in Lemuria.

As for a statue of Raven, that would be cool, but here we are on the cusp of a new world release and a great voice has been silenced. It would be really cool and awesome as a tribute if KI would consider as the final quest of the 4th Arc or interlude between 4th or 5th; to have a new enemy have like a quest running the entire gambit of the Spiral starting in Wizard City and ending in the last world of the 4th Arc.

Like having Bartleby call the Scion and tell him/her that he's concerned over the fate of Grandmother Raven, and a new enemy has arisen that considers Grandfather Spider weak and seeks to harm Raven. These enemies could be druids that had originally idolized Spider, but once he was cast into his prison in Khrysalis, he was thereafter considered to have betrayed Spider and had ported her out of the Husk and threaten her with being killed.

As we battle these druids, they are called Grandfather Cultists, and Bartleby alerts us after so long of travelling to each of the existing worlds; but from Khrysalis on, they are called The Betrayed, and they serve an unknown enemy.

As hope builds that we might save her throughout the 4 arcs, the unknown enemy possesses Spider and threatens to end Sister Raven. As her life drains away, Bartleby mourns that without Raven, the Spiral woven by Bartleby and Raven will be undone if she dies.

The Scion of Bartleby councils Bartleby by saying, what if you created a statue of Raven and placed a statue of her in each of the worlds where she played a part in shaping the Spiral? Bartleby says, Hmmm, such power and magnitude might cause my death as well because we were a team in reshaping the fragments of the first world.

Spider appears and tells Bartleby, without Raven I have no reason to exist, I'll sacrifice myself so these statues will honor Raven, so you won't die.

Without warning Spider starts to become depixeled, and several statues of Raven materialize. Bartleby sings a song of woe, and they disappear save one in Ravenwood. As the song ends, Bartleby tells the Scion that the statues were close to the pedestals that were created through the dirge. Upon placing them on the pedestals in the 4 arcs, the words GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN appear as well as GRANDMOTHER (DELL) RAVEN.

Oxnhorse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast