----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unhappy A Rant: I'm Beginning to Hate Empyrea

I've been playing Wizard101 since it came out, more or less.

You wouldn't actually realize it, considering I'm only... what, approaching level 140(?) on my main character, and I've never completed the game. But it's true.

Enter several paragraphs of backstory. You can skip all this, but I'm wordy. I'm a published writer, it's part of my job.

Since I was twelve - and I'm approaching twenty-six in November, now - I have painstakingly, agonizingly, bought my way through the Spiral with crowns. First, it was 'being a child', during times when my parents were on government (and religious) assistance. Still, every year for Christmas I'd ask for Wizard101 crowns, and every year my parents would buy me $5 or $10 worth of crowns. Then, I was an adult who... didn't realize my full issues. I was struggling with work, keeping and finding jobs, struggling with pain I didn't understand, with trouble sleeping, with... a thousand different things.

I worked for a time at Walmart, which funnily enough was more lucrative than my time as a nanny or caregiver for the elderly. The people taking care of your parents and grandparents are horribly underpaid, by the way. But at Walmart, I bought myself... what, $300 worth of crowns? Spent a week's worth on pay on 'em. Worth it, still don't regret it, even if I was fired a few months later.

And after Walmart, I got a few diagnoses. I deal with chronic pain and I'm Autistic. On top of stuff that I'm not getting into. Needless to say, I have a laundry list of issues, which explains why everything is so hard for me. It was life-changing. Of course, I got all these diagnoses because it is All Getting Worse.

Every day, I wake up and I don't know how long I'm going to be able to sit up at the computer. I don't know if I'm going to be bedbound, or if I can do all the things I want to do. Every day, I have to prioritize. Do I take a shower today? Do I clean today? Can I play a video game?

Wizard101 of course has been a priority for me. I drop it for months, but I always - without fail - return to it. I spend crowns on worlds and quest. Before, it was running out of crowns that limited me; starting from mid-Celestia, I've had enough crowns to take me to each new place. I've bought the Catacombs and I'm going to run out either at Karamelle or right after buying the first area of Karamelle (one of the two). It's been great! Instead of a literal year between how long I can play, it's just a couple of months. I've been gardening. I've been crafting! I team up and crack jokes with people and genuinely enjoy myself, despite being introverted and anxious.

It also genuinely takes me by surprise sometimes. I consume media avidly, from books to TV to video games, and can generally follow plot threads and foreshadowing like nobody's business. Some stuff comes out of NOWHERE, only becoming obvious to me in hindsight, and both the predictability and the sudden surprises have been an absolute delight for me. I've loved the characters.

My one regret is that some days, I can't play. Other days, I have about fifteen minutes before I'm in too much pain to remain sitting up. My favorite days are when I can dedicate hours to it.

End backstory here; now we get to the relevant parts. The following bit is also wordy, but talks solely about the game and Empyrea itself as the bits above.

Enter Empyrea. I've LOVED Empyrea. I've loved the Star Trek references. I've laughed out loud at the jokes. I've been able to talk to my non-Wizard friends about it and have them laugh with me. Mirage was great too, referencing things I really didn't expect (Dune??? Hello??? Escape from New York??? Karate Kid and Kobra Kai??? GI Joe??? RIKITIKITAVI???), but Empyrea's just been... fantastic. I've loved the story line. Part one went swimmingly.

Then we get to Reverie. Oh my gods, Reverie. Traveling through the second dream for Mellori was absolutely horrible. It wasn't so bad, except... well. Those stupid Dream Morganthes. Over and over again, I'd get caught. I'd die to Dream Belloq, then have to flee because my partner nearly died, and on my way back I'd get caught in the Morganthes. If I fled and returned, I'd get caught AGAIN. I'm sure ya'll know the part. My partner actually successfully defeated Belloq on their own, which of course didn't register for me in the quest because I WAS STUCK ON THE MORGANTHES. This actually had me in tears.

I quit, came back later, teamed up again. Got caught by the Morganthes, but this time I was able to catch up with my partner and didn't die in Dream Belloq. Genuinely, not that hard once you figure out the gimmick, that massive health pool is misleading (and intimidating).

Everything's fine until we get to the Nibari citadel. I'm really excited to know more about Sparck and Iona. Well, we have to fight before we can learn more about the story of their father's betrayal, and so I do the fight. I die. I'm in too much pain, so I log off. The next day, I team up. Someone joins me.

I end up dying to the boss of that encounter, but all we have left is the minion. My partner kills the minion.

It doesn't register. Wizard101 usually puts you at 1 HP and the quests say you've completed it. I don't take advantage of this often - I'm life, and usually if I've died my party is in trouble - but it has occasionally come in handy when I've made a few mistakes in cards. I'm not a great player. I am USEFUL and I HELP PEOPLE but I do not usually read cheats, I don't farm, crafting is a very casual thing for me that I do when I feel like it. My gear is a hodgepodge of crafted staff, gear from Olympus, and gear from Darkmoor. I don't have the time, brain space, or genuine ability to farm, especially when I am dedicated to doing aalll the side quests. All of them. Every last one.

To say I'm devastated is... an understatement. I don't get hours and hours and hours to play. I don't get consistent times I'm on. Sometimes it's 3 AM, sometimes it's noon, sometimes it's 7 PM. My best bet is finding a group elsewhere - which I have done before, for House of Scales, and that worked well! - or waiting on Team Up. I usually opt for Team Up because it's less socializing, but that ALSO means waiting, and I can't always afford to wait. I have no ability to give myself a consistent schedule, because of my health issues (both mental & physical).

It's just... upsetting. Real life stuff is going on, as well, which isn't helping, of course. I'm genuinely upset to the point of tears over this. I know it's just a game, but...

It's a game I really, really love. A game I've put time and money into. And it's frustrating that this keeps happening. I LOVE Empyrea. Love the concept. Love the story. I love where the overarching Wizard101 lore has gone so far! My struggles to succeed in battles - over things that don't occur elsewhere - is ultimately putting a really big damper on that.
      Last edited by Kunabee; 9-11-22 at 9:33:11 AM.

Willowdreamer is online now W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: A Rant: I'm Beginning to Hate Empyrea

This is some really bad luck you are having. I'm sorry you're getting so frustrated, but congratulations on your tenacity and patience to keep plugging away at the game.

Now that Guilds are a thing, perhaps you'll be able to find a Guild or group here on Central that will be able to help you get past this bottleneck. The Wizened Wizards are a group of adult players who meet up, usually on the weekends, but some play during the week.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

1) I agree, the Reverie mobs needs to be restructured so it's more difficult to be pulled. Also the bosses, needs to be more manageable for solo players, getting enough blades (plus a prism for Fire folks) is a hassle if a fourth of your health is being reduced during the turns you're finding your stuff. And Belloq, it needs to be more clear what you need to do. Legit the first time I tried Belloq, I was ready to deal all of Belloq's health by myself (I had all the feints and whatnot, the shields, I was prepared to do the Chimera of all Chimeras lol). And also these are Main Quest line bosses, I suppose they should be easier just because of that too. Save the challenging bosses for side quests for us over-achievers lol I'm glad you didn't get caught in that!

2) My storm died in the Nimbari fight a couple times too, mostly because of low health. But I got through with a bit of luck. I hate it when players take the kill while players are dead beyond 3 turns. Fleeing makes it seem to that player that they're ok with the go ahead and you can't stop them from killing while you're away. It's just a mean move but Ki can't really do anything about it. Preventing players from killing the boss is something that they'd run into problem with and having it so that players complete the quest automatically just by having some sort of presence in the battle, would make it so players would simply flee after the first turn while others do the dirty work still get the same results as their teammates. Maybe a better Ai can determine whether it's ok to extend the 3rd Turn limit if the player kills on the 4th Turn... But the easiest solution isn't what Ki does but what you can do, like getting a respectable teammate.

3) A part of the problem is that whenever Ki tests stuff in the game for difficulty in Test Realm, the majority of the players who are helping are players with "the best of the best" gear or something close to it and Ki may not often times account for the fact this doesn't reflect a large amount of players who can only get by with mish-mashed gear (particularly those without the time to improve it). That means their understanding of difficulty may be skewed towards something like if these players can finish the fight, maybe others can to. This maybe why we see fights like the Wizard City rematch fight, which is virtually impossible for the majority of players. I think it would be very helpful for players that are involved with scaling fight difficulty would change their gear but sometimes they don't want to "stoop so low" like their pride is at stake.

I'm not sure whether the Central Guild is full or not (it's not that we wouldn't welcome you, it's more like we can't invite you) but I know the Wizened Wizards Guild would be too happy to help you lol Definitely reach out to @Willowdreamer!

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Kunabee is offline Novice Wizard

• Kunabee's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sestiva Dreamshard
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Chancellor Rascal
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Forest Lord
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thanks, guys.

I wasn't looking for any advice or help, just to vent. I figure my best bet is to just step away from the game for a time. I'll come back eventually. Getting frustrated with games happens.

I actually already feel better knowing that other people have had some trouble in the same areas I've had! I thought it was 'just me', so knowing that other people struggle too DOES make me feel better.

For now, I have other games and some real life things to take care of. I always come back, but sometimes it's just healthy to take a break!

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kunabee View Post
      Thanks, guys.

I wasn't looking for any advice or help, just to vent. I figure my best bet is to just step away from the game for a time. I'll come back eventually. Getting frustrated with games happens.

I actually already feel better knowing that other people have had some trouble in the same areas I've had! I thought it was 'just me', so knowing that other people struggle too DOES make me feel better.

For now, I have other games and some real life things to take care of. I always come back, but sometimes it's just healthy to take a break!
      You came to the right place!

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Sidri is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Sidri's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Rowan Willowleaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Maya
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Cool2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I decided to stop playing my high level wizards when Lemuria came out. Ironically, I am very outgoing and popular in real life but in games I am wary of others. I think its because I am seeing an avatar and not a real person. For some reason, that unsettles me so I avoid making friends. The few friends I did make in game have all quit. I just can't bring myself to play with randoms because of my anxiety (altho I would like to make new friends in game). Anyway, because of this issue, I quit the game for a long time. I wish we weren't forced to play with others but it is what it is. I decided to make a new wizard on a new account. I bought Wizard City and will just stay there. I enjoy doing dailies, gardening, making spooky house guests for Halloween etc. I put most of my energy into Final Fantasy XIV which is much more solo friendly. I was missing Wizzy tho, so I had to come back even if all I play is a baby.

Anyway, that was my solution to constant cheating bosses. It was make a baby or leave the game forever. I don't think this a solution for you or most people. It was just what I did to still have a reason to play.

EDIT: By the way, I am glad I made a new wizard. The beginning areas are much different from when I started the game in 2008. It was fun to experience it.
      Last edited by Sidri; 9-22-22 at 10:58:22 AM.

Willowdreamer is online now W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Sidri View Post
      I decided to stop playing my high level wizards when Lemuria came out. Ironically, I am very outgoing and popular in real life but in games I am wary of others. I think its because I am seeing an avatar and not a real person. For some reason, that unsettles me so I avoid making friends. The few friends I did make in game have all quit. I just can't bring myself to play with randoms because of my anxiety (altho I would like to make new friends in game). Anyway, because of this issue, I quit the game for a long time. I wish we weren't forced to play with others but it is what it is. I decided to make a new wizard on a new account. I bought Wizard City and will just stay there. I enjoy doing dailies, gardening, making spooky house guests for Halloween etc. I put most of my energy into Final Fantasy XIV which is much more solo friendly. I was missing Wizzy tho, so I had to come back even if all I play is a baby.

Anyway, that was my solution to constant cheating bosses. It was make a baby or leave the game forever. I don't think this a solution for you or most people. It was just what I did to still have a reason to play.

EDIT: By the way, I am glad I made a new wizard. The beginning areas are much different from when I started the game in 2008. It was fun to experience it.
      I really find it relaxing to run around on a baby wizard sometimes. They don't have any of the stress of saving the spiral, and you can complete their quests in minutes rather than hours.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: A Rant: I'm Beginning to Hate Empyrea

I feel for you on this one; sadly it's not just those parts of Empyrea. My 2 leading Wizards (Balance & Death) finally got past that mess and entered the world of Karamelle. All was going smooth and I was enjoying things until I ran full speed and face first into the "oogie boogies" and the game stopped being fun; that was 1 year ago.

Thanks to a lot of things IRL I have spent little time in game. The only real time I am in the game is for the Beastmoon events,but I do manage to keep a eye open on Central as what has become my rare escape from the "house of doom" I am restoring to turn into a affordable home for a low to middle income family to move into (It starts as a rental with a provision to become a rent-to-own, so if you can afford the rent you CAN afford to own it).

I say this because @Willowdreamer brought up one of several great options, the Wizened Wizards is a great place to have fun and get help as well as enjoy being to help others. Sadly, I have not been active in the group because of the house I am working on and I really do miss my friends there. There is light at the end of this tunnel and I have hopes to be able to return to the game and the group in the next couple months.

It seems KI has this need to make things so difficult that it becomes absurd and the fun is lost. I would love for them to have a world that while being a challenge is still fun and not overboard on the difficulty factor or the need to grind through junk to the point of boredom and frustration (I thought that they would have learned from the mess of Dragonspire when it was first released with repeatedly grinding through 12 monsters per "assignment" or 8 floors of dungeons with NO health or manna wisps).

In the meantime, always remember that there are so many groups and people here at Central that are happy to help you...all you have to do is ask.

Flux is offline Master Wizard

• Flux's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nick
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death

Mood:
      Depressed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hey there!

I'd be willing to help you with this fight whenever you need if we're both online! Send me a TFC if you'd like.

Sidri is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Sidri's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Rowan Willowleaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Maya
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Cool2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I wish Wizzy had something like the Duty Support function that FFIV has. You can solo a dungeon and you get 3 NPCs that compliment the class of your character. These NPCs don't cost anything and they are really good. They know just what to do as if they were real players. The cheating bosses in Wizzy finally did me in. I was barely able to get thru the final boss in Karamelle and quit after that. I knew eventually I would be stuck permanently and didn't want to buy a sub or any more worlds.

So now I enjoy my permanent baby wizard and I'm having a lot of fun just hanging. If only KI had difficulty levels or something I would have continued to pay and play. Now my money goes to Square Enix and FFIV.