• Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
        Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The Heart of the game is gone?

I've read a lot of arguments suggesting that the heart of the game is gone and that W101 is no longer it's former quality that older players cherish. So I simply made a thread for those who want to reiterate their points from those threads and discuss with one another.
      Questions to think/talk about?

What exactly is the heart of the game? (I know this term "heart" is pretty vague and could mean different things for different people but I think we have a sense of its meaning)

Has W101 lost this heart in recent updates?

What can W101 do to get it back (if you argue the heart of the game has been lost) or What can W101 do to maintain it (if you argue the heart of the game is still there)?

What can we do as a community of players to make sure the heart of the game stays and doesn't get lost again?

I know some of you may have some heated thoughts about this topic since we care about this game to a point and care even more about how this game can bring us joy (and supposedly should bring us joy in the future), but uh let's keep this a friendly conversation and build off of each other

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

PlayerNEntered is offline Initiate Wizard

• PlayerNEntered's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  'Patrick'
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Doodle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fenris

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: The Heart of the game is gone?

I know every world now, so when I port to somebody I'm no longer surprised by something I haven't seen (though this isn't the games fault to be honest)

The new Karamelle/Lemuria spells were almost all a miss for me. They make beautiful backgrounds, and then make spells that hide them. I would rather see someone cast Leviathan on Xilbaba than that Storm Karamelle spell I forgot the name of, it's a way cooler spell

Also, new houses for worlds are locked behind bundles I don't care for, glad I haven't been interested in any of them so far because of that
      Last edited by PlayerNEntered; 8-13-22 at 11:00:36 AM.

I don't like it when people call things impossible, because it usually isn't.
      PlayerN has left

RookieRecurve is offline Master Wizard

• RookieRecurve's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ian Lionstalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Many

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I think this game lost it's 'heart' long ago, and in doing so, destroyed the real magic of the game. They started getting greedy, and trying to find more ways to get players to part with their money. Players were happy to spend money on the game when they weren't feeling coerced into spending it. The community engagement was outstanding, and reciprocal. Now, we feel ignored, and preyed upon. It has gone from what felt like something really cool and special to be part of, to 'hey, new pack! Buy buy buy!'. I continue to play, because I like this game, and I also have some fun memories of it. I am less active in the community now though as I share so many others frustrations and disenfranchisement. Wizard101 has gone full 'corporate', and it will never be like it was. I am just thankful that I was part of the 'good' days. Man, it was so fun back then!

BaronvonWolf is offline Magus Wizard

• BaronvonWolf's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Valkoor wildwalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Gizmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Blaze Fox

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unhappy Re: The Heart of the game is gone?

ya the game has lost a bit of heart sure the story is still nice but some thing that bug me are
      - broken updates the last few have been real bad....
      1: spells from Karamelle/Lumari missed the mark for me sure they are nice but they feel lacking
      like how Mockenspiel converts 3 blades into uni blades at 50% value if i'm casting it, the utility is useless as it does bal damage instead of elemental or spirit damage something that would fit the utility bill

2: Spellements being level gated, why should anything have a gate behind it outside of a few requirements

3: Guild only being max lvl and having a elitist mindset not everyone is like that but ya some of them get in and you keep them as they put work hard and you dont have to team up with them in raids :side note does it stay at 150 or does it still at max level

4: copy/paste pets while i've never been big on pets i find it annoying that there are some beastmoon forms that still lack pets
      5+ fire pigs 4+ death pigs 3+ life drakes 3 bal fairy 3 ice kroks/wolf 2 storm elf bm has been out for 3 years now we have 41 forms or 38 without counting this sets of forms update

as much as i hate to say this i feel like they kind of want the game to die as if a rebellion would to happen they just jump ship
      Wolf soulstalker 150 Alex nightshade 147 Valkoor Wild 150 Valkoor Wild ​135 Valkoor Myth 130

SeptenaryRavens is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      What exactly is the heart of the game? (I know this term "heart" is pretty vague and could mean different things for different people but I think we have a sense of its meaning)

Has W101 lost this heart in recent updates?

What can W101 do to get it back (if you argue the heart of the game has been lost) or What can W101 do to maintain it (if you argue the heart of the game is still there)?
      I personally think we lost the heart of the game when Dworgyn and Lydia were no longer the Community Managers. There's no getting them back and there's nothing we can do about it. Corporate greed, more often than not, triumphs quality.

Jester is offline Administrator

• Jester's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Valkoor
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Jack
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sheep

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SeptenaryRavens View Post
      I personally think we lost the heart of the game when Dworgyn and Lydia were no longer the Community Managers. There's no getting them back and there's nothing we can do about it. Corporate greed, more often than not, triumphs quality.
      Things took a turn (my opinion) when J. Todd and the original crew at KI started exiting. The child friendly/community focus started to shift to the more "adult" type communities. It became just another of "those" games lost in a sea of titles that I probably wouldn't have even looked twice at in 2008 if it was presented like it is being now.

The child friendly aspect set it apart and was what made it magical for my family and I. The early days are fondly remembered in this household.

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
      Things took a turn (my opinion) when J. Todd and the original crew at KI started exiting. The child friendly/community focus started to shift to the more "adult" type communities. It became just another of "those" games lost in a sea of titles that I probably wouldn't have even looked twice at in 2008 if it was presented like it is being now.

The child friendly aspect set it apart and was what made it magical for my family and I. The early days are fondly remembered in this household.
      The original vision was lost, new people have new ideas, kids grew up and lost their taste for whimsy. The community was wanting more difficult challenges and more power right from the beginning.

Of all of the child-friendly MMO's that were around back in the day, how many are left? It's difficult to NOT change...

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

1234 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• 1234's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  TaraWillowBreeze(L)KeiraSilverStone(I)FionaDragonFlame(F)SabrinaShadowCaster(D)Samantha(B)Sierra(S)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

The game has a pretty unique ďheartĒ and I think that has helped it to survive over time. But IMO there was a built-in problem from the beginning; the exponentially increasing distance between low-level and max wizards. Between different rates of progress, various storyline restrictions, and the lack of a persistent messaging system, it isnít easy to maintain a sense of community. Players are constantly moving away from each other via area geography, and even the housing options reinforce that feeling. The less there is of a common denominator, the more likely friends and family members are to move on.

In a very real sense, it is outside websites that have kept Wiz going as long as it has. Thatís ironic, considering that the original emphasis was to keep communication in-game for young players. But I think Central, in particular, has filled a crucial role, both in uniting players and amassing a staggering amount of information.

Maybe Iím being overly optimistic, but perhaps the introduction of guilds is a way to close some of that distance that occurs over time, and give players a connection point that isnít dependent on level or area of interest. The fact that they are even allowing messages to be left, (though limited in nature) is huge. I just wish something like this had been implemented long ago.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It's funny you had asked this. Not too long ago, I was thinking WOW the magic of Wizards101 is really gone now. The magical feel when you play the game for the first time. I felt this mostly during the first age of PVP and the first arch of the game. Perhaps, this is why I love making the baby wizard and just questing them only in the first arch areas.

Yes, I do think the heart of the game is gone. I think that it's due to many reasons in what others had already mention in above post.

I honestly, think the way this game is moving, it really no longer feels like WIZARDS101, but just another MMO/RPG game like any other one that is out there. I not seeing this as a friendly family game it once was, but one that is aiming towards those who are "True Blue" Gamers.

Perhaps, they are trying to bring that back with this newest update. I see some older players coming back to the forums here and I see that Central Guild is growing...congrats on that! However, I do not see how guilds have anything to do with a game that was meant to be Magical. That was the one thing that made wizards so special, that it was different than any other MMO/RPG game out there, but it is slowing becoming just like any other game.

There is not much more I can say, as I had mentioned before, the previous posters have covered it quite well.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

PlayerNEntered is offline Initiate Wizard

• PlayerNEntered's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  'Patrick'
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Doodle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fenris

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      I honestly, think the way this game is moving, it really no longer feels like WIZARDS101, but just another MMO/RPG game like any other one that is out there. I not seeing this as a friendly family game it once was, but one that is aiming towards those who are "True Blue" Gamers.
      I'm still disappointed they literally made candyland (Karamelle) and didn't go all out with the candy theme, I wanted gingerbread houses :')

I don't like it when people call things impossible, because it usually isn't.
      PlayerN has left

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast