Do you believe in magic or magical powers? - Wizard101 Forum and Wizard101 Fansite

• Aggressive
  • Alienated
  • Amazed
  • Amazed2
  • Amused2
  • Angelic
  • Angry2
  • Apelike
  • Artistic
  • Balanced
  • Bashful
  • Blah
  • Bookworm
  • Bored
  • Breezy
  • Brooding
  • Busy
  • Chatty
  • Cheeky
  • Cheerful
  • Cloud 9
  • Cold
  • Confused
  • Cool2
  • Creative
  • Curious
  • Cynical
  • Daring
  • Devilish
  • Disagree
  • Doh
  • Doubtful
  • Drama Queen
  • Dreaming
  • Elated
  • Energetic
  • Fiendish
  • Fine
  • Gloomy
  • Goofy
  • Grumpy2
  • Happy2
  • Hot
  • In Pain
  • Innocent2
  • Insomnious
  • Inspired
  • Lonely
  • Lucky
  • Lurking
  • Mellow
  • Mischievious
  • Monday Blues
  • Musical
  • Nerdy
  • No Mood
  • Not Amused
  • Notworthy
  • Paranoid
  • Pensive
  • Predatory
  • Procrastinating
  • Psychedelic
  • Relaxed
  • Sad2
  • Scared
  • Scurvy
  • Shocked
  • Sick
  • Sleeping
  • Sleepy
  • Sluggish
  • Sneaky2
  • Snobbish
  • Spooky
  • Sporty
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Sunshine
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Thinking
  • Torn
  • Twisted
  • Vegged Out
  • Volatile
  • Woot
  • Worried
  • Yee Haw
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Arrg!
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh!
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • At Work
  • Eating
  • Editing
  • Lagging
  • Netflix
  • No Status
  • PC Gaming
  • PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
        Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Do you believe in magic or magical powers?

I mean W101 is all about magic, might as well extend the topic to real life lol

Do you believe in magic, what kinds of magic do you believe in? Or is everything just a "trick of the eye" (a deception to our neurological and biological senses)?

Personally, I think the everyday common magician in a top hat is all trick of the eye with just trick props and deceiving awareness with some sort of trained skills. BUT I do also think there might have been actual magic throughout history, like actual wizards and witches from times of old that could have had some sort of affinity to some sort of mystical powers that logic cannot accurately explain.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

millot is offline Initiate Wizard

• millot's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  blazeduneflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  max

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Do you believe in magic or magical powers?

well true magic does. but the thing is their is some good trick out there, that people think is magic. so magic real - tricks real. but no one can make any thing disappear unless they kidnap some one.

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: Do you believe in magic or magical powers?

Yes, I do believe in magic and it does indeed come in many forms; from performers who use illusions to trick your senses and entertain you, to "religions" or cults who try to use it to control you and your possessions, and even to people who are in tune with the wonders of nature and all its miracles who are the real magicians tapping into the Cosmos and what we call existence.

What was once thought to be "magical powers" or "Witch Craft" would later become common science. Just look at the Native American who would chew tree bark to sooth the "demons" in their heads and bodies, later it would be discovered that there was in fact a chemical in that tree bark that once isolated became what we now call aspirin.

As far as "true magic", all you need to do is look up at the night sky and wonder at how vast and beautiful it is, look into the eyes of a baby to see the birth of a new universe in them, look into the eyes of a child to see the innocent wonder and imagination shining there full of hope or look in the eyes of an "elder" person and see the wealth of experience, knowledge and wisdom deep within that wonderful ageing mind.

Yes, there is most definitely magic in this crazy world...and thank God/The Creative Force (No matter what name, shape, form you believe or do not believe in) for it.

All this being said, I think one of the most overlooked forms of magic is in the simple things; like saying please, thank you, how are you?, I love you...and actually meaning them.

Let's take a magical walk down a magical path together...

Kokyota is offline Magus Wizard

• Kokyota's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Iridian, Neela, Jaz, Jr, Sari
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Way too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Crazy Creatures

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yes. I believe in Mystical Magic.

AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

• AluraMist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Mindy
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      I mean W101 is all about magic, might as well extend the topic to real life lol

Do you believe in magic, ---
      I'm sorry, in advance. "Earworm".
      I couldn't get past the question "Do you believe in magic --- " without humming/singing this:

Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Maybe? But the term "magic" is something that is so muddled nowadays.

Old healers and so-called "white witches" from the pre-modern era are interesting subjects to think about. In their minds, successful treatment may well have been based on some mystical properties. Obviously with our current understanding of human physiology and germ theory we have a much more nuanced view of health, yet even now many answers escape us about some of the most prevalent illnesses.

It becomes a question, then, of when the unknown is simply categorized as magical or scientific.

A patient with an incurable sickness lays on their deathbed. All attempts by modern medicine to cure them has failed. Their doctor proposes a radical experimental treatment. A month later the patient is cured, though the doctors are puzzled as to why exactly the treatment was successful.

Is that science at work? Or some kind of magical miracle?

Personally I think that anything can be considered "magic" as long as it breaks our current empirical understanding of the universe hard enough.

In the more mundane sense, a magician on stage making things vanish can be considered a form of magic. The same could be said with more intrapersonal feelings—believing one is being watched while in an empty room, or having the motivation to soldier on in life despite overwhelming adversity. Heck, prayer in most religions is itself a kind of spell or spiritual ritual, though we may not always see it that way.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 7-21-22 at 4:42:57 PM. Reason: Intra not interpersonal, bleh
      Yet it cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory - Machiavelli // I also write my own stuff ~

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs up Re: Do you believe in magic or magical powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
      Maybe? But the term "magic" is something that is so muddled nowadays.

Old healers and so-called "white witches" from the pre-modern era are interesting subjects to think about. In their minds, successful treatment may well have been based on some mystical properties. Obviously with our current understanding of human physiology and germ theory we have a much more nuanced view of health, yet even now many answers escape us about some of the most prevalent illnesses.

It becomes a question, then, of when the unknown is simply categorized as magical or scientific.

A patient with an incurable sickness lays on their deathbed. All attempts by modern medicine to cure them has failed. Their doctor proposes a radical experimental treatment. A month later the patient is cured, though the doctors are puzzled as to why exactly the treatment was successful.

Is that science at work? Or some kind of magical miracle?

Personally I think that anything can be considered "magic" as long as it breaks our current empirical understanding of the universe hard enough.

In the more mundane sense, a magician on stage making things vanish can be considered a form of magic. The same is could be said with more interpersonal feelings—believing one is being watched while in an empty room, or having the motivation to soldier on in life despite overwhelming adversity. Heck, prayer in most religions is itself a kind of spell or spiritual ritual, though we may not always see it that way.
      Perfect! This is another great way of explaining my own thoughts that I earlier tried to express.

As a first person example, when I was 25 and living in Hawaii, I had a very serious back injury that "severed" most of the nerves in my lower spine that controlled my legs. I spent a year stuck in a wheel chair with legs I could feel but could not move...the frustration was beyond words. I spent more time than I care to remember being told that there was nothing the Western medicine practices could do and to get used to being in the chair...my own thoughts turned to the dark concept of whether I even wanted to be in this world or not.

My Sensei (Martial arts instructor) finally got me in contact with a very old Chinese "Doctor" in Downtown Honolulu who spent several months poking me with needles (Some frozen and some heated or attached to electrodes), taking these round glass cups and heating them up to stick on various places on my back and I drank many nasty tasting teas. One day I was lying on the table with my PT manipulating my legs doing my leg exercises when my little old Chinese Dr. came in. He walked over to me on the table, grabbed me with both hands and flipped me on my side like a piece of rice paper (In the time in that dang chair I went from 175lbs to over 300lbs) and twisted my upper and lower back in different directions.

I remember hearing (in my inner ear) a horrible crunching sound and a blinding flash of light and pain. I jumped up off that table and headed right for the Doctor intent on murder. My PT asked me what the heck I was doing and I said I was going to kill him, then it was pointed out that not only was I standing for the first time in 2 years, I was also walking (Even though I was walking with a "purpose"). When I realized what was happening, my legs started to go out from under me and they got a chair for me just in time.

It was explained to me that using "mysterious" and unorthodox (By Western standards) methods he had mapped out my nerves (Chi Network) in my back and rerouted what nerves did what and when he did the back "adjustment" he "activated" the new nerve pathways. Now all these many years later these techniques are commonly used all over the world by doctors of various specialties. What was once "Eastern mysticism" was now common medicine. It has been 45 years since then and I can walk and run as any "normal" person could and although I reached a weight of 400lbs, I now weigh 180lbs.

As you so perfectly stated, what was once called magic/mysticism is now common science that can be fully explained. I wonder what other magical miracles will finally be understood and harnessed...but to be fully honest, there are MANY "magical" things that I hope never get explained and stay magical forever.

Thank you so much @Cosmos for reminding me in such wonderful terms of how much I owe "magic".

millot is offline Initiate Wizard

• millot's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  blazeduneflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  max

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Unbound View Post
      Yes, I do believe in magic and it does indeed come in many forms; from performers who use illusions to trick your senses and entertain you, to "religions" or cults who try to use it to control you and your possessions, and even to people who are in tune with the wonders of nature and all its miracles who are the real magicians tapping into the Cosmos and what we call existence.

What was once thought to be "magical powers" or "Witch Craft" would later become common science. Just look at the Native American who would chew tree bark to sooth the "demons" in their heads and bodies, later it would be discovered that there was in fact a chemical in that tree bark that once isolated became what we now call aspirin.

As far as "true magic", all you need to do is look up at the night sky and wonder at how vast and beautiful it is, look into the eyes of a baby to see the birth of a new universe in them, look into the eyes of a child to see the innocent wonder and imagination shining there full of hope or look in the eyes of an "elder" person and see the wealth of experience, knowledge and wisdom deep within that wonderful ageing mind.

Yes, there is most definitely magic in this crazy world...and thank God/The Creative Force (No matter what name, shape, form you believe or do not believe in) for it.

All this being said, I think one of the most overlooked forms of magic is in the simple things; like saying please, thank you, how are you?, I love you...and actually meaning them.

Let's take a magical walk down a magical path together...

was just going thru old stuff and saw this again. well written, well written.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AluraMist View Post

I'm sorry, in advance. "Earworm".
      I couldn't get past the question "Do you believe in magic --- " without humming/singing this:

this was good to