Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: This has gotten out of hand!

This seems like a strange response to me. I've never had an gaming account hacked, but in the times when I've lost a password, I've always been able to tell customer service my previous receipt information to confirm identity and gotten my account password reset and access restored.

Regarding security...

@Paige Whisper 's idea of adding Two-Factor Authentication could be nice. I would really like to opt-out of it personally, but that's a route KI could take to increase security.

Replacing passwords on a regular basis is a bit much for Wizard101 imho. If someone is really trying (for some reason) to break into a Wiz101 account, I doubt that they are going to spend more than a second of processing time unsuccessfully attacking before moving on to another account.

Therefore, the typical blueprint that @AlbusDoumbledore laid out should suffice for most people.

Make sure your password is at least 12 characters long and has capitalized letters, contains numbers and a few of these @, #, $, & etc.
      Although I would also emphasize the tired "Don't share your password with anyone".

ALSO, if you all will allow me to air a pet peeve that I see all the time, do NOT do obvious letter -> number/symbol substitutions (a -> @, e -> 3, i -> !). They are clunky to type and are things that any competent password attack will check for automatically.

Regarding the TOS...

I'm not super familiar with TOS language, so is

You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for any use of your password to gain access to your account and your account information.
      common? What if someone gets a hold on KI's password hashes (assuming KI had enough sense to not store plaintext) and dumps them on the internet? Is it still my "responsibility" then?
      Last edited by Cosmos; 6-20-22 at 1:11:42 PM.
      Yet it cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory - Machiavelli // I also write my own stuff ~

Sparck is offline Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

If you have concerns about your account, please do contact support! We carefully review each case, and with your help, are able to identify causes for various concerns about account security.

Password sharing is indeed a top problem, as well as users simply being tricked into given access to their account. Family sharing, etc., is also possible. Please help us here by ensuring your passwords are also not the same as used on other platforms, and share your account with no one!

If it's not a password or related issue, but something else, we'll of course be happy to investigate. Please be conscientious about any generic messages being shared that come from our email correspondence, especially when copied through sites like ******, and consider what the entire history of the account concerned had actually processed.

AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AluraMist View Post
      Please don't get me started about KI Support (or lack of). As far as KI Support, if I submit 'game related issues', the ticket is eventually passed on to someone who actually knows the game. Even though they are over-worked and under-staffed in the QA Department, their assistance has always been super!

As far as Billing and Account issues, KI Support is non-existent, in my opinion. I gave up on them.

AluraMist
      Just to expand on this a bit --- from my experiences and what I see with KI Support and the Wizard101 Message Boards:

- Sends a Ticket to Support for an ingame issue. Receives routine "form Letter" type of reply, acknowledging receipt and suggesting that issues be posted on the Wizard101 Message Boards, including links too. Never hears anything more from KI Support.

- Sends a Ticket to Support for Billing / Account issues. At first, receives routine "form letter" acknowledging the Ticket. Receives a routine reply, basically saying "KI can't help with this issue", it's your problem. After several messages back and forth, I gave up trying to get a resolution to a Billing issue. Happened twice on different accounts. Have since cancelled "auto renew" on Memberships.

- Posts an issue on the Wizard101 Message Boards.
      - Usually receives absolutely 'no reply or acknowledgement at all'. This is the norm.
      - Replies that are posted from an actual KI employee usually say something like:
      ---Thanks. I will discuss this with our Team. And that's the end of that post/replies.
      ---Tried to post a follow-up asking 'what happened'. Was told to watch the Game Update Notes for status. One year later, no status.

- Most recent replies on the Message Boards are some form of this:
      ---That's not how it is supposed to work. I'll mention this to the Team. You might want to send a Ticket to Support too. (really?)

@Sparck @Kyle IceWielder @Eric Stormbringer --- this is not an exaggeration. Check your Message Boards to see what I mean. Most of the issues / questions are never addressed. You really do not understand.

AluraMist
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

LookitLight is offline Novice Wizard

Mood:
      Thinking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AluraMist View Post

- Posts an issue on the Wizard101 Message Boards.
      - Usually receives absolutely 'no reply or acknowledgement at all'. This is the norm.
      - Replies that are posted from an actual KI employee usually say something like:
      ---Thanks. I will discuss this with our Team. And that's the end of that post/replies.
      ---Tried to post a follow-up asking 'what happened'. Was told to watch the Game Update Notes for status. One year later, no status.

- Most recent replies on the Message Boards are some form of this:
      ---That's not how it is supposed to work. I'll mention this to the Team. You might want to send a Ticket to Support too. (really?)
      As an active user of the official forums, I can confirm that this is often the case. Many issues, often serious problems or complaints, go unanswered. Occasionally a kind user of the Message Boards (myself included) will give an answer if we know about the problem, but even then that's all they usually hear.

This problem is not only systemic, it drives away players that might otherwise contribute to the game's playerbase and economy. Failing to assist them in times of trouble damages Kingsisle's reputation, whereas helping them would promote customer loyalty. It may even result in players, driven away by current negligence, remaining long enough to buy some Crowns and invest in this game a little more (hint, hint).

This current system is no longer tolerable. Community relations are being slowly chipped away due to a lack of meaningful support and recognition. If @Sparck really wants to improve community relations, the response necessary now requires more than just a comment on a fansite. The unfortunate pattern described by @AluraMist needs to cease.
      One need only look into the light in order to see the potential that lies within themselves. In every person and every creature there is a chance to share with the world goodness, kindness and hope.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123