• Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
        ~Kestrel~ is offline Moderator

• ~Kestrel~'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kestrel DragonHeart (main), LifeHeart/FireHeart/StormHeart/MythHeart/IceHeart/LegendHeart (Death)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance

Mood:
      Busy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Wizard101 Central's 2021 Holiday Dorm Decorating Contest - Entry thread

Thank you to all who entered! I love seeing your creativity and appreciate your time and the effort you put into your decorating. You all have far superior skills than I do. Here are our winners:

1st place: Jared SpellFrost
      2nd place: Glubglubpfft
      3rd place: keela
      4th place: Iridescenci

Welcome to Wizard101 Central’s 2021 Holiday Dorm Decorating contest!

You guys know I do LOVE a good dorm decorating contest. This contest will run from NOW until Wednesday December 29th (yes I extended that by request) and ends at 5:00 PM Pacific time (that’s 8:00 PM Eastern). Please do the calculations for YOUR time zone, sorry but late entries will not be accepted because you didn’t understand what time it ends (and please don't wait until the last minute to enter). Here is a screenshot guide for those of you wondering how to upload your picture into this thread.

RULES:
      ~It must be your own work (NO plagiarism)
      ~Glitching is allowed (including Castle Magic)
      ~Dorms only OR the Arcanum apartment (technically a dorm)
      ~Your wizard must be in the picture saying “Happy Holidays 2021”
      Or, if you only have menu chat, you must type "Hooray!"
      ~It must contain the three following items:
      1. ONE holiday, Krampus, or snowy stocking (crown shop for gold)
      2. At least ONE present/wrapping/gift of any color (bazaar)
      3. Holiday, snowy, OR yuletide wallpaper (crown shop for gold)

~No changing your entry after it has been “thanked” by me
      ~Only ONE entry per member
      ~No more than three photos of your dorm can be uploaded

PLEASE make sure I can clearly see all three items. Also tell me a little about your entry. How did you come up with the idea? What's your holiday traditions or wish?
      What is it you’re going for?
      I really enjoy hearing about your creative thinking process, instead of seeing a dorm room with the three required items just thrown in it.

PRIZES:

First place: Sky City bundle & 10,000 crowns
      Second place: Blacksmith Fjord Bundle & 5,000 crowns
      Third place: 20,000 crowns
      Fourth place: Toboggan mount & Yuletide Morning pack

This is the entry thread for the contest, the discussion thread can be found HERE
      Last edited by ~Kestrel~; 1-2-22 at 2:22:15 PM. Reason: WINNERS!
      Wife, teacher, mom to my two beauties & one bonus beauty,
      and
      Breast Cancer survivor!!

Mega Pets!
      RIP LSR

cleanitoutnow is offline Apprentice Wizard

• cleanitoutnow's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber Roseflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Miss Amber
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Moose

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Wizard101 Central's 2021 Holiday Dorm Decorating Contest - Entry thread

My favorite part of Christmas is when family is all here and we are opening our presents and eating great food. I transformed my dorm into a family gathering with presents, stockings, food and coziness. I hope all my fellow wizard families have the same joyous and loving Christmas Day!
      Attached Images Attached Images    

rnunez99 is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

HEY! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! So the theme I was attempting to go for started out as an outdoor kinda vibe in Grizzleheim… which immediately fell through as apparently you can not put some outdoor décor inside Arcanum apartments! so it got changed a little to be more of a festive décor of different things that are done during the holidays. Christmas party, Building a gingerbread house with others (and it falling several times and then just using hot glue). The mess after unwrapping all the gifts and the dinner we have before. What I have described are a few of my holiday traditions as of yet. Celebrating with family through out the month. Hanging lights and décor throughout the home. Making cookies and building horrible houses for gingerbread residents. Opening gifts and cooking dinner, while of course with a bit of wine here and there or eggnog. Enjoy the snowfall if there ever is any. Stockings are hung at the bar, tree is filled with gifts and the wall paper is up for decorations of yuletide greetings. ENJOY!

TTrix is offline Novice Wizard

• TTrix's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Myrna DuskCaller
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sergeant Lexie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enigmatic Ghulture
      ----

Mood:
      Amused

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

So, my Ice wizard's dorm was basically the perfect starting point for this, so the main driving force behind decorating was imagining how she'd approach the holidays herself. It'd be pretty close-knit and small(she'd just invite over a few of my other chars lol) and they'd give each other gifts and hang out for the day. My favorite part of Christmas is going to see family and having a nice meal with them all. Happy Holidays!
      Name:  Photo Houses--2021-12-16-12-35-01.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  418.2 KBName:  Photo Houses--2021-12-16-12-57-01.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  463.8 KBName:  Picture 2021-12-16 12-54-43.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  466.3 KB
      I'll figure out what to put here, eventually!

Glubglubpfft is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Hiya, Thanks for the contest!

With the opportunity to use the larger Arcanum Apartment for this contest, I wanted to include both of my favorite parts of the winter holiday season: the playful chill of snow and comforting warmth indoors.

I used the first floor of the dorm to place the façade of a house exterior and environment around it. The people are in the midst of a fun little snowball fight. The night snow wallpaper is used alongside snow piles to create a bright and chilly atmosphere. On the the right, there is a car parked in front of the garage (someone might need to clear the snow soon...).

The second floor of the dorm serves as the inside of the house. Here we have a couple drink bars (holiday and snowy stockings are here), a tree with presents, and a main dinner table in the center. The main objective was to create a warm glow that vastly contrasts the outside cold. As for a holiday wish, I just hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable time with friends and family, and perhaps a more normal 2022? lol

keela is offline Apprentice Wizard

Mood:
      Lagging

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thank you for the contest!
      I always wanted to create a Winter Wonderland but I didn't have too much space in the dorm room. So I decided this year to decorate the Arcanum apartment .I used the Night snow wallpaper. The snowmen are helping, preparing for Santa arrival. The kids are sleeping. They are on Santa's nice list, so now they're waiting for the presents.I hope your holiday celebrations are full of lots of fun, surprises, and magic!
      Happy Holidays!

Iridescenci is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Iridescenci's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Saffron Swift/Silver/Spirit/Summer/Soul/Story Song
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Sophie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Spider Golem

Mood:
      Brooding

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm so glad I had enough time to do this contest, because I had an idea I've been wanting to do for my Ice's dorm! I was initially inspired by my local city's take on The Nutcracker, as they did a really nice twist with the classical music of the ballet. Thus, I wanted this theme to officially be:
      Sugar Plum Dreams
      My family likes to go to these kind of events if they can every December, so it's a cherished tradition of mine spending time with my family this way.

I tried to go as pink as I could take it without it being overly pink, so I enlarged the rug and kept the floor plum. I tried to find as many sugary-themed Xmas items that I could (I seriously thought I had more pink trees) and wanted it to symbolize a cute kid's room. In the third picture, you'll see that there's a second floor I made of pink rugs (of which I had plenty of those!)

I wanted the second floor to symbolize the dreams that a kid may have after having all these sugary sweets before bed, like pie and cookies...and cider! I originally was thinking of having fairies on this level, but with the time/gold/housing limit I had, I decided the theme would be better suited for a dreamy atmosphere than the classical Sugar Plum Fairy. There's a path made of rugs to get to the second floor, and a teleporter that leads to who knows where...?
      Spoiler
      It leads to the Christmas Party inside my Red Barn Farm!

Name:  Picture 2021-12-23 20-47-17.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  408.3 KB
      Name:  Photo Houses--2021-12-23-20-50-01.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  397.1 KB
      Name:  Photo Houses--2021-12-23-20-50-02.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  270.8 KB
      Last edited by Iridescenci; 12-23-21 at 10:15:28 PM. Reason: Fixed a space/letter!

Avatar & Sig Credit: Expelliarmus (Blue Nouveau Designs)
      Formerly: bluecrystal5355, Crystal Calligraphy

ABParadigm is offline Novice Wizard

• ABParadigm's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angus
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Daisy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Scaly Frillasaur

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This is my storm wizard's dorm. I've needed a nice, well-decorated dorm room for the longest time, ever since I made my storm wizard effectively my main character. A lot of work went into this dorm - I plan to have it here year round! Hopefully add more of those fancy Deckathalon trophies to the mix too. Happy Holidays (2021) indeed!
      Deckathalon fan, PVE master. If you have a question about a boss I probably know it.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Legendary Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Red face Re: Wizard101 Central's 2021 Holiday Dorm Decorating Contest - Entry thread

For this years contest, I knew that I wanted to recreate a Marleybonian street, but with the Yuletide theme! My initial plan was to create two major buildings on each side of the dorm to help enclose the Player into an atmospheric alley, with one side being populated by a shop of some kind with transparent windows. And so I enlarged a Brick Fireplace and got to work!

Constructing Marleybonian houses is no simple feat, since many of the textures, adornments, and features of this architecture are not available as housing items (Yet, hopefully). So, I had to improvise. Polarian Cathedral Windows made for an excellent substitute, and what better way to make a door than to use an actual door? For the dormers above the windows, I spent way too much time trying to configure the Dog Houses, but eventually settled on using shrunken down cupboards too!

The Team-Up Kiosk has a nice, green tiled roof I was bent on using somewhere in this Dorm but the problem with it, the dog houses, and many other "building-like" items is that they're slanted, so if you wish to place something flat up against them, like a Spiral Door.. The decorations will clip together. I managed to patch most of this up by shrinking the Kiosk, and the small bit of trim visible does look alright!

In the background you can see the de facto post office, which has been quite busy shipping everything from newspapers, to chocolates, to presents this holiday season to the residents of Marleybone! I sadly could not fit it into my entry due to the 3 photo limit though (Petition to increase it next year?). But you can clearly see one of the "present" items on the counter, and more keen observers might spot an open gift and crumpled wrapping paper from this angle too.

Credit to @SKyFuria for inspiring me to use the Covered Wagon item as a window! I also thought up the cloud cover upon seeing ValkoorDrakeRider's lobby for their Stormrider rollercoaster, which had giant clouds.

And here is a more proper view of the clothing boutique, complete with a magical sign! I'm quite pleased how the window turned out, although it took me some time to figure out how to create a suitable (Pun intended) dormer. Here Wizards and the dogs of Marleybone can shop for the finest clothes in all the isle, and even a few seasonal outfits too!
      To build this shop, I first started with the guardhouse and enlarging a tiny arched door. From there I added the dormer with a Wolfminster Rostrum (One of the only octagonal shaped items in-game) and crafting a Tower Door castle block, and after doing so I squeezed the Snowy Walrusk Guard Booth in behind the plain guardhouse.

The process of adding a Water Tower to cap off this structure was quite tedious, I'll have you know! I kept needing to use Wooden Castle Block Walls so I could place wall hangings that wouldn't otherwise fit in my dorm, and oh boy.. That's when I learned the top of castle blocks can latch onto items and move them around!!
      IIRC, I had to replace the water tower around 3 times, which meant moving the Covered Wagons, skinny water tower, rug, and ice patch around.. So yeah, not the fun part of decorating but a good playlist will get you through anything.

The final touches to this scene were the snow piles, another Polarian Window (Snow Walrusk Windows are quite rare, sadly), and the bathroom- I mean fire hydrant!

To make the floor a bit more icy, I used the Ice Patch item and enlarged it, along with some classic Pagoda Shaped Urns for a fog effect. I also used an Open Campfire to create more of a "wintery storm" look in front of the door!

Credit where credit is due, the lamppost design with the Spiral Light Tree was designed by @SKyFuria, although I did add my own custom touch with the icy lace strands clinging to it!

And here we see the cozy showroom of the clothing boutique! Here we see the fireplace the Cuckoo Clock and Stockings are hung upon, along with some special hat stands, mannequins with original stitches (They're not the Dr.Who kind, I swear!) and just the slimmest of peaks at a cupboard where more outfits and haberdashery materials are stored. Up on the shelf rests a rare (And expensive!) fire cape, which only the wealthiest of Marleybonian aristocrats can afford.
      Quick story, I managed to yoink the hat stand sporting the yellow Jester cap from the Bazaar just a few days ago! I was quite pleased that I was able to use it, since it's a bit more rare than the rest!

Behind this display of stylish stitches, there is an equipment crafting station and of course the Walrusk Vanity item, all set in front of a tapestry to the Dye Shop. I must say, when in doubt use a tapestry as a background! The dye shop tapestry truly gives this store it's warmth, and the Reagent's Square backdrop creates the illusion that this dorm keeps receding into space.

Thank you for hosting this contest! I always have a lot of fun each year sifting through all of my hoarder houses to bring a dorm to Central each year! I had a lot of fun with this dorm since I dig the more "Christmas Carol" theming of Yuletide a bit more, although I was in quite the rush to construct it this year! The free Membership in Pirate101 was just too ​tempting.

Anyways, thank you for hosting this contest and good luck to my fellow competitors!

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 12-26-21 at 7:58:14 PM. Reason: Just fixing formatting & Adding Forgotten Section On Flooring

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      “. . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.”

Phlipssy is offline Novice Wizard

• Phlipssy's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Belgrim DeathHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

My dorm design was inspired by the lampost in Chronicles of Narnia. To make it festive I included a sleigh and presents to represent when Father Christmas visits the characters and gives them gifts. This was my first time using the advance move feature, since I haven't played in awhile. I am excited to learn more about glitching housing items to bring my houses to the next level! My favorite thing about the holidays is all my family getting together. Its a great time! Thank you for the contest! Happy Holidays everyone!
      Name:  Photo Houses--2021-12-29-14-05-01.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  289.0 KB

Name:  Photo Houses--2021-12-29-14-13-01.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  306.2 KB

Name:  Picture 2021-12-29 14-07-04.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  294.3 KB