• Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
        Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

All of Wizard City should be free to play.

An old and dusty debate! What are your thoughts? What about the business perspective?

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: All of Wizard City should be free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      An old and dusty debate! What are your thoughts? What about the business perspective?
      Would being able to finish Wizard City really encourage strictly free-to-play players enough to make them buy in? I don't know. I honestly think that the current free-to-play areas give plenty of insight into what the game is. All of the different ways there are to buy Crowns and/or a month's subscription are actually very reasonably priced. With tenacity and persistence, Crowns can be earned for free to continue if we are really interested.

As a parent looking at this game for pre-teen kids to try, I think that there is plenty of content in the existing free-to-play areas to keep them busy for quite a while. As a teen, perhaps natural impatience is what causes the desperation to have more right away and a track record of teens getting bored with games causes the drama with parents not wanting to pay. As an adult with disposable income, if we like it we'll buy it. So, the only problem group appears to be the teens who don't have their own money.

It's even possible that giving away all of Wizard City could make a casual free-to-play player get a sense of accomplishment from completing the world - so much so that they can walk away. I don't know.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

edward sky is offline Journeyman Wizard

• edward sky's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Edward sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Post Re: All of Wizard City should be free to play.

From a marketing stand point I'd have to side with what Willow said, it's almost better to leave it as "Well you could finish x if you pay up" rather than letting them finish because that sense of accomplishment may be enough to say "Well it was great while it lasted" rather than entice them to finish.

But from my player POV there's so many worlds now, letting them finish Wizard city and dipping their foot into Krok to be enticed for more I think would work just fine too.

Edward sky/Life/105/
      Shadow's house is absolute

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Would being able to finish Wizard City really encourage strictly free-to-play players enough to make them buy in? I don't know. I honestly think that the current free-to-play areas give plenty of insight into what the game is. All of the different ways there are to buy Crowns and/or a month's subscription are actually very reasonably priced. With tenacity and persistence, Crowns can be earned for free to continue if we are really interested.

As a parent looking at this game for pre-teen kids to try, I think that there is plenty of content in the existing free-to-play areas to keep them busy for quite a while. As a teen, perhaps natural impatience is what causes the desperation to have more right away and a track record of teens getting bored with games causes the drama with parents not wanting to pay. As an adult with disposable income, if we like it we'll buy it. So, the only problem group appears to be the teens who don't have their own money.

It's even possible that giving away all of Wizard City could make a casual free-to-play player get a sense of accomplishment from completing the world - so much so that they can walk away. I don't know.

While I do get what you're saying, the argument could also be made that by letting f2p players finish the entirety of Wizard City, then tempt them more with the reveal of Krokotopia, that would entice them even more to potentially pay up. In fact, one could even go a step further and have all arc 1 worlds f2p; reason being is that there's currently 16 worlds in the game (14 if you don't count the optional worlds Grizzleheim and Wysteria) with each arc typically consisting of around 4-5. Let's for the sake of argument assume that all 5 worlds of arc 1 f2p is the base game. That still leaves 10+ worlds to explore as expansion passes. For example:

Base game: Arc 1 (Malistaire and the Krokonomicon): contains 5 worlds: Wizard City, Krokotopia, Marleybone, Mooshu and Dragonspyre.
      Arc 2 Expansion Pass (Morganthe and the Dark Prophecy): contains 5 worlds: Celestia, Zafaria, Avalon, Azteca and Khrysalis as well as The Arcanum.
      Arc 3 Expansion Pass (Grandmother Raven and Grandfather Spider): contains 3 worlds: Polaris, Mirage and Empyrea.
      Arc 4 Expansion Pass (The Old One and The Cabal): contains ~3-5 worlds: Karamelle and whatever other worlds end up being here.
      Grizzleheim and Wysteria Expansion Pass (Knights and Magic): contains the side worlds Grizzleheim and Wysteria.

Not exactly perfect but you get the idea. I think if KI went with this kind of model but still had the option of purchasing individual zones while also giving the option of purchasing each pass in bulk with Crowns and real money then there's potentially an even greater opportunity for profit to be made than there is now. Honestly while W101s inclusion on Steam was nice, I think going forward KI is gonna have to seriously reconsider their stance on not making arc 1 free if they hope to attract and keep potential players, especially if they keep neglecting their other MMO Pirate101.

Phenoixblizzard is offline Adept Wizard

• Phenoixblizzard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber DragonBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fern
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mega Snow Beast
      ----

Mood:
      Sleepy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It would be nice if Wizard City was free to play at times. It would allow for people to have at least one whole world to run around in and perhaps tempt them into exploring the rest of the game. Maybe the data from the couple times they had all of Wizard City free would determine if there was an increase of people buying crowns/membership to continue on with the game. If there was an increase, then they could think it over on whether it would be worth the risk to lose money on an entire world. If there wasn't much of a change, then I doubt they'll make it permanently free. If anything, they could always have a set time frame when Wizard City is completely free (like when they know there's a large increase in player activity or during the summer when kids are out of school).

I only wonder what the backlash would be from people who had spent crowns to buy the world if they decided to make it permanently free. Sure, 3,750 crowns doesn't seem like much to some people, but that's a little over $5 or almost 2 months worth of trivia that was spent to buy it off. I bought it off completely on 2 of my 3 accounts through trivia, so I know I would hate it if my crowns were wasted on a world they decided to make permanently free with no compensation for the crowns I spent on it. After all, I could've decided to purchase more crowns to add onto what I had for another world/arc instead of buying off Wizard City.
      Last edited by Phenoixblizzard; 6-7-21 at 12:11:49 PM.
      Wizards vs Bosses

Autumn Shadowsong is offline Adept Wizard

• Autumn Shadowsong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Autumn Shadowsong
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fluffy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoixblizzard View Post
      It would be nice if Wizard City was free to play at times. It would allow for people to have at least one whole world to run around in and perhaps tempt them into exploring the rest of the game. Maybe the data from the couple times they had all of Wizard City free would determine if there was an increase of people buying crowns/membership to continue on with the game. If there was an increase, then they could think it over on whether it would be worth the risk to lose money on an entire world. If there wasn't much of a change, then I doubt they'll make it permanently free. If anything, they could always have a set time frame when Wizard City is completely free (like when they know there's a large increase in player activity or during the summer when kids are out of school).

I only wonder what the backlash would be from people who had spent crowns to buy the world if they decided to make it permanently free. Sure, 3,750 crowns doesn't seem like much to some people, but that's a little over $5 or almost 2 months worth of trivia that was spent to buy it off. I bought it off completely on 2 of my 3 accounts through trivia, so I know I would hate it if my crowns were wasted on a world they decided to make permanently free with no compensation for the crowns I spent on it. After all, I could've decided to purchase more crowns to add onto what I had for another world/arc instead of buying off Wizard City.
      As someone who has paid for every single area I have access to in the game with crowns (the entire first and second arcs, plus Wysteria, Grizzlehiem, Wintertusk, Darkmoor, Kembaalung, and Barkingham Palace) I would not be too happy to see a significant portion of that become free without some form of compensation for others like me who have purchased each individual area with crowns.

Torpzun26 is offline Adept Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Last year Final Fantasy XIV updated their free content to include the base game and the Heavensward expansion. The level cap for free-to-play players was increased to 60 (and the maximum level in that game is only 80). This ended up being a massive success. My opinion is that not only should Wizard City be free, but the next several worlds should also be made free. I'm talking all of the first arc and at least most of the second arc. For plot reasons, I think the end of Azteca would be an amazing point to leave off of, if not the end of the second arc entirely+Darkmoor. Azteca because it is the world that you fail to save, the free trial ends with the bitter sting of defeat. The downside is that Azteca is an unpopular world so it may be a sour note to end on. The end of the second arc is also nice because 100 is a nice number (though you'll definitely be over 100 with sidequests), you defeat Morganthe, get Shadow Magic, and there's the new plot hook that is Grandfather Spider.

Why do I think such an enormous addition to this game's free-to-play content is a good idea? Well, because it was for that other MMO. Now, just because something is good for one game doesn't precisely mean it will be good for every other game. Luckily I have other reasons.

When KI ported Wizard101 over to Steam, the game initially had mixed reviews. Part of this was because you couldn't load your wizards from your Wizard101 account, so you had to start fresh. This meant that veteran players had little use of the game being brought to Steam. But the other reason that the game was poorly received on Steam, which was loudly communicated in the reviews? Because people felt lied to when the game was given the Free to Play tag on Steam. It's more like a Free to Try game. The morsel of free content becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of overall content with each update. There is perhaps a day's worth of free content before the game stops you in your tracks with a paywall. There are activities, but the maximum level you can get on a free account by quests alone is 9. Most of these activities are gated off too, including the Scroll of Fortune events which don't unlock until the very next level. To progress past Level 9 you would need to play gauntlets from Housing Tours, but the game doesn't tell you about this and there are no longer any gauntlets you can play without befriending the owner. The only other way to level up is to grind enemies over and over, which takes a bit of effort and brings me to the next point.

As a free to play player, you only get 6 spells (and two training points, which can't be used for anything exciting when you're Level 9). Your 1-pip hit, your 2-pip hit, a dual shield, Pixie/Fairy, and two other spells depending on your school. This is a very small spell selection and combat is mind-numbingly simple with these spells. People are going to think that you just use Lightning Bats over and over until the enemies die, and think that the game isn't worth spending money on. Making the game's combat more complicated in Wizard City is a terrible idea though, the start of the game needs to be very easy to get into. Extending the free-to-play level cap is a great way to introduce players to a lot more of the combat mechanics of this game. As much as I hate on PVE buffstacking combat, it's still much more complex than your spell selection as a free-to-play player. You get AoEs, minions (even if you're not Myth), a variety of damage boosts, and then you get to learn Astral and Shadow magic. Plus, the difficulty of battle climbs high enough that you have to learn what to do, instead of just flinging spells around and winning anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The downside to this is that if you paid Crowns for these areas, then that's tens of thousands of Crowns down the drain. One could argue that you still benefit from having earlier access to these areas than players that had to wait until this hypothetical moment in which these areas become free, but it's still a bunch of money and it would definitely sting for it to eventually become an unnecessary purchase. If a fractional reimbursement for these zones is not possible, then at use those paid areas to unlock other zones for free. Either in the third arc or some brand new areas. Kinda like how they merged a lot of Krokotopia zones together and if you had only part of the new zone, they gave you the entire zone for free.
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 6-7-21 at 7:16:28 PM. Reason: Guess who can't count