YourToothbrush is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

eh, hecc it. I'll take a risk. Been out for two years with my solidly known identity.

I'm non-binary (pronouns are they/them). My wizards should have been the first clue, half and half boys and girls, and I thoroughly roleplay each one in different ways. Same with Pirate101. Y'all might have seen very particular personality shifts if you remember me in game. In fact, some folks thought I was a woman early on after I changed my name to this iteration.

I never had the words for it until the past four or five years though, and I didn't have the support or people around me to assemble the words for it. I was forced by peers to assemble myself in a masculine way to compete, and faced social pressures to maintain those, but I finally broke free from most of it recently (that said, I'm still unlearning a LOT of things).

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Cooperate Pride is cooperate Pride, but it's progress (That should be celebrated) nonetheless. Thank you for doing this KingsIsle!

Also, petition to rework this Wizard101 Central rule..?:

yeah, uh... I'm partly responsible for that for a pride month post made in the Off Topic area years ago, made by someone else. For the life of my vicarious existence though, I do NOT remember who my cohort was.

EDIT; also I did wanna say something. @Sparck I want you to see this and let whoever needs to know know.

Since folks are saying that they wanna see more support for civil rights movements and such; if y'all want to do something for Autism Acceptance Month, please find an advocacy charity that does not support ABA (essentially autism conversion therapy). Your playerbase has autistic adults, autistic children, and parents of autistic children. You will be isolating them, denying them their identities, and saying that they need to be normal.

For symbolism, use gold, red, or rainbow infinity symbols instead of blue puzzle pieces.

If you need consultation, I'd be happy to oblige, and I can refer you to a couple advocates among autistic and neurodivergent communities, including one I personally know.
      Last edited by YourToothbrush; 6-7-21 at 2:29:57 AM. Reason: one other thing to talk about in related discussions
      Mark DeathMask/Rachel "Midori" StormSword//Elijah RedThistle//Gracie DarkSlinger//Andrew SpiritStrider//Alexis GhostForge//Hannah BattleThief
      They/them. Always knew I was, never had the words for it.

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs up Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Rose View Post
      eh, hecc it. I'll take a risk. Been out for two years with my solidly known identity.

I'm non-binary (pronouns are they/them). My wizards should have been the first clue, half and half boys and girls, and I thoroughly roleplay each one in different ways. Same with Pirate101. Y'all might have seen very particular personality shifts if you remember me in game. In fact, some folks thought I was a woman early on after I changed my name to this iteration.

I never had the words for it until the past four or five years though, and I didn't have the support or people around me to assemble the words for it. I was forced by peers to assemble myself in a masculine way to compete, and faced social pressures to maintain those, but I finally broke free from most of it recently (that said, I'm still unlearning a LOT of things).

yeah, uh... I'm partly responsible for that for a pride month post made in the Off Topic area years ago, made by someone else. For the life of my vicarious existence though, I do NOT remember who my cohort was.

EDIT; also I did wanna say something. @Sparck I want you to see this and let whoever needs to know know.

Since folks are saying that they wanna see more support for civil rights movements and such; if y'all want to do something for Autism Acceptance Month, please find an advocacy charity that does not support ABA (essentially autism conversion therapy). Your playerbase has autistic adults, autistic children, and parents of autistic children. You will be isolating them, denying them their identities, and saying that they need to be normal.

For symbolism, use gold, red, or rainbow infinity symbols instead of blue puzzle pieces.

If you need consultation, I'd be happy to oblige, and I can refer you to a couple advocates among autistic and neurodivergent communities, including one I personally know.
      Bravo! Great story and words to think on.

I found these online:

Keep moving forward!

Sparck is offline Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thank you all for the kind words! We actually also support Autism Awareness Month and are looking to support other areas as we can.

YourToothbrush is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparck View Post
      Thank you all for the kind words! We actually also support Autism Awareness Month and are looking to support other areas as we can.

Acceptance, not awareness.

Awareness was brought by organizations that seek to cure us. We are not curable, the cures are traumatizing to anyone who goes through it. I've been through it, and I've got c-PTSD thanks to it and a number of other traumatic events that happened over the course of my life.

Autism Acceptance Month will show that you not only respect autistic folks, but support them. Do a donation partnership to an advocacy organization like the Autism Self-Advocacy Network, the Autism Women's and Non-Binary Network, Autism in Black, or a similar organization that doesn't support treatment. A surfboard mount in the shape of the rainbow/gold infinity symbol that @Pegasus Unbound brought up would be a fantastic thing to do.
      Last edited by YourToothbrush; 6-7-21 at 9:34:45 PM. Reason: missed half a name
      Mark DeathMask/Rachel "Midori" StormSword//Elijah RedThistle//Gracie DarkSlinger//Andrew SpiritStrider//Alexis GhostForge//Hannah BattleThief
      They/them. Always knew I was, never had the words for it.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

@Jester, any idea when the automod will stop censoring this topics terms?

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Exclamation Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

@Jester, any idea when the automod will stop censoring this topics terms?
      I wanted to add that it is trans/homophobic to censor these terms. We know better so we do better.

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

I wanted to add that it is trans/homophobic to censor these terms. We know better so we do better.

Your first post or question was and still is a valid one, which is why I thanked it...

But I think your follow-up comment was a bit out of line. I listened to you, now please, listen to me.

There has been no "phobic" activity promoted by @Jester in the past or present. There has been an understandable caution regarding an issue that is difficult to discuss in public at best, let alone on a forum that is open to minors. The very fact that this thread has gone on for such a long time and been filled with so much open and honest out-pouring is proof of @Jester and his desire to be as open and inclusive as possible AND reasonable at the given times.

Such discussions on any forum in the past were almost impossible at all, but only in light of the recent increase in pure hatred has our society started to openly say enough is enough. As such, KI made a HUGE decision to be open in its support of just one group of "controversial communities". I am 1,000% sure that @Jester has followed their lead and, once he has double checked all the related issues, will make the adjustments to the entire system. It just takes time to be sure it is done correctly in light of EVERYONE'S feelings and rights.

Up until now, this entire thread has been so very supportive in ways that I never thought would happen. I am almost 70 years old and I was there at the First Pride Parade and festival in LA, California (In fact, I was one of many who helped organize parts of it) and that was back in the 70's...50 YEARS AGO. I have seen (First hand) hatred, oppersion, discrimination and even killings by people who fear what they do not understand (Or worse, act to cover up their own identity).

I said it before:

"Every journey begins with one step. If you don't take that step, the journey is over before it can begin." KI took its first step, and this long, open and supportive thread is the first step taken by @Jester.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you owe @Jester BOTH a "Thank You" for his first step, and an apology for any hint at his being "phobic" in ANY way. I have read and enjoyed many of your posts, but sometimes, like on this occasion, your emotions and zeal let you take things too far. There is a line between censorship and discretion, it can be obvious and also blurred; but experience, patience and careful thought can help you see that line. One persons rights end at the exact spot that another persons rights begin,another fine line that people often overlook.

My comments are not aimed at you, but at all people who let their zeal overshadow their reason. In the 80's, the over zealousness of some "militant" rights groups actually instilled fear of our community in the "general" society. It set back years of rights battles from the 70s'. We are now making progress again and I hope we can all stay calm and rational to keep it moving in the right direction. Don't give others a reason to fear you, instead, show them how we can all contribute in a positive way to the entire society, not just for LGTBQ issues, but ALL issues that society is dealing with.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

@Pegasus Unbound

The bottom line is that censoring our terminology is trans/homophobic- intent doesn't lessen impact. Also bear in mind that trans/homophobia isn't just a "fear" of these topics, the definition encapsulates all forms of hate and oppression towards the community. Hence why it is trans/homophobic to censor such words.

I can somewhat understand why Jester would add these words to the automod back in 2008, but as I said in my previous post people should know better by now. It's not a good look for Central when Jester did not decriminalize these words on his on initiative, and it certainly looks bad when outcry over this matter goes unanswered.
      You argue that Jester is allowing this conversation to take place, and that may be true- but I reckon that he hasn't even seen this thread yet. It's no secret that our site's owner has been quite aloof for several years now, so I would argue that this is the more likely reason.

One last thing- public opinion has shifted dramatically within the past few years, so much so that it's more damaging for corporations to not acknowledge Pride month. Progress is of course still progress, but we shouldn't be content with just promises and a rainbow logo.

Sonorous is offline Magus Wizard

• Sonorous's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Elijah Watervault
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Sammy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Burning Dryad

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Though this thread is veering slightly off topic, I was interested in reading some of the previous posts. Within all technicalities, I agree that the terminology should not be censored, but I don't think it is worth repeatedly @ing the site owner in hopes of this being accomplished. If Jester searches through his mentions at all, he will see your first one and hopefully respond accordingly. I think perhaps you are casting judgement too quickly @JaredSpellFrost instead of giving Jester an opportunity to actually change the moderation. Perhaps we should all have a little more patience is all I am suggesting.

I can respect and appreciate trying to create change and see it through, but in this scenario, there's just not much we can do until Jester reads it himself.

Credit to Expelliarmus for my signature and avatar

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonorous View Post
      I think perhaps you are casting judgement too quickly @JaredSpellFrost instead of giving Jester an opportunity to actually change the moderation. Perhaps we should all have a little more patience is all I am suggesting.
      Censoring this topic's terms is objectively trans/homophobic though. And yes, that just one ugly truth we all need to face to move forwards. It's not rude to point that out, but this is an opportunity for growth. Central has had years to remove these words from the blacklist, so there's no excuses either! Whatever Jester's intent may be here (I highly doubt it's anything anything malicious), it still doesn't lessen the impact of the automod targeting us.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast