•  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs up Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparck View Post
      We're glad you like the logos!

There's a blog post in the works from our team that shares more about our personal experiences and support in the game industry. I can't wait to share this with you as well once it's done.
      I am really looking forward to it. This marks a new era for KI and the gaming industry as a whole.

I would love to see similar support to other issues as well, such as various civil rights months, history months and medical months (Like Cancer). Perhaps a variable logo area can be created that changes with events, either special days or months?

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Wink Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Unbound View Post
      I would love to see similar support to other issues as well, such as various civil rights months, history months and medical months (Like Cancer). Perhaps a variable logo area can be created that changes with events, either special days or months?
      Just bear in mind that actions speak louder than words. So far KingsIsle has been all talk and no action- some popular ideas are allowing us to change our Wizard's gender, letting boys wear pink and girls wear brown, writing inclusive characters into future content, and adding a nonbinary option for our Wizard's gender.

Personally, I'd love to see the Unicorn Hoard Pack brought back, with profits from it donated to an organization such as PFLAG or the Trevor Project!

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 6-2-21 at 9:46:31 PM. Reason: asterisks

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      “. . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.”

1234 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• 1234's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  TaraWillowBreeze(L)KeiraSilverStone(I)FionaDragonFlame(F)SabrinaShadowCaster(D)Samantha(B)Sierra(S)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

Allow me to present another perspective.

This game lets us express ourselves in many ways, within the setting of a purely fantasy narrative. But what our characters look like, and whether or not they match our real-life personas, doesn't really matter, because throughout this story line, we are all reduced to being simply "young wizards." Can't get more inclusive than that.

Wizard101 was created particularly with children in mind, and that involves special considerations, in terms of subject matter as well as personal safety. KI has done a great job of balancing a cohesive game environment with subtle (often humorous) outside references, but for the most part, the politics, news and issues of the outside world have been deliberately left out. The disclosure of personal information is not allowed, and I would think discussions or displays of romantic orientation would fall under that category.

Treating our fellow players with kindness and respect should be a given. But that is not an idea that is exclusive to one ideology or cause, and to represent it, in-game or out, under one particular real-world banner with philosophical and political connections is not appropriate, IMO.

Sonorous is offline Magus Wizard

• Sonorous's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Elijah Watervault
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Sammy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Burning Dryad

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post

This game lets us express ourselves in many ways, within the setting of a purely fantasy narrative. But what our characters look like, and whether or not they match our real-life personas, doesn't really matter, because throughout this story line, we are all reduced to being simply "young wizards." Can't get more inclusive than that.

Wizard101 was created particularly with children in mind, and that involves special considerations, in terms of subject matter as well as personal safety. KI has done a great job of balancing a cohesive game environment with subtle (often humorous) outside references, but for the most part, the politics, news and issues of the outside world have been deliberately left out. The disclosure of personal information is not allowed, and I would think discussions or displays of romantic orientation would fall under that category.

Treating our fellow players with kindness and respect should be a given. But that is not an idea that is exclusive to one ideology or cause, and to represent it, in-game or out, under one particular real-world banner with philosophical and political connections is not appropriate, IMO.
      I hear what you are saying and understand the concept of maintaining the standard of safety within the game. Personally though, I think that the integrity of the game is not being affected by a show of support. I think also chalking up the show of support for this group of individuals to only being about political ideology is unfortunate. It's a part of who they are as people no matter their appearance, class, political views, etc.

Now I do want to also include this - I don't believe actually showing acts of romanticism of ANY sort should be included within the game because, as you have stated, it is intended for children. But I also don't believe that it should stop the company from showing support to a marginalized group of people for simply being who they are.

Credit to Expelliarmus for my signature and avatar

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Just bear in mind that actions speak louder than words. So far KingsIsle has been all talk and no action- some popular ideas are allowing us to change our Wizard's gender, letting boys wear pink and girls wear brown, writing inclusive characters into future content, and adding a nonbinary option for our Wizard's gender.

Personally, I'd love to see the Unicorn Hoard Pack brought back, with profits from it donated to an organization such as PFLAG or the Trevor Project!

Yes! Thank you, I forgot about the Unicorn Hoard Pack and the idea of some profits going to PFLAG is a wonderful idea. PFLAG is a wonderful organization is providing education and support to those around the members of this particular community.

PFLAG is the first and largest organization for the people, their parents and families, and allies. With over 400 chapters and 200,000 members and supporters crossing multiple generations of families in major urban centers, small cities, and rural areas across America, PFLAG is committed to creating a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued, and affirmed.

I know from first hand experience, this group has saves thousands of lives and will be there to save even more in the future.

I would also like to point out that the "Big Brothers/Big Sisters" organization also has programs to match up teams to help provide positive and healthy role models for those who are questioning their own self-identity.
      @Sparck, I would greatly appreciate if you could forward this idea from @JaredSpellFrost.
      Last edited by Willowdreamer; 6-3-21 at 5:14:41 PM. Reason: asterisks

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post

Dang girl, tell'em how you really feel lol. But seriously I 100% agree. When you are in the game, you are a "young wizard". No qualifiers. No labels. You are you. That right there—and I find myself flashing back to that other thread from a couple months ago—is true inclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonorous View Post
      I hear what you are saying and understand the concept of maintaining the standard of safety within the game. Personally though, I think that the integrity of the game is not being affected by a show of support. I think also chalking up the show of support for this group of individuals to only being about political ideology is unfortunate. It's a part of who they are as people no matter their appearance, class, political views, etc.

Now I do want to also include this - I don't believe actually showing acts of romanticism of ANY sort should be included within the game because, as you have stated, it is intended for children. But I also don't believe that it should stop the company from showing support to a marginalized group of people for simply being who they are.
      I agree that it is a shame that voicing support for certain communities is seen as a political statement. Yet given that the company is still maintaining the kid-friendly pretense, it does make me question the motives of their message. The communities listed are inherently tied to more "mature" topics after all.

I think I've come to the same cynical conclusion as @Torpzun26 and @JaredSpellFrost even if I am seeing the situation from a different viewpoint. I would have found it much more genuine if individual devs came out and showed support in any way that fancied. But KI the business coming out and doing it? This does feel more like PR than anything. I guess we'll have to wait the blog for more info.

That's not even necessarily to say I would begrudge them for it if that is true: it's how the game of branding is played. They may have looked at the current landscape and determined that getting involved would better position them financially for the future as opposed to standing-by. That may sound a cold calculus, but I guarantee that was a discussion that was had over at KI. It is what it is.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 6-3-21 at 3:40:52 PM.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Red face Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

To everyone who wants to maintain the "child friendly" aspects of the game, that is more than possible while being inclusive. We NEED to normalize being different, and only acknowledging our existence during the month of June just won't cut it. You can certainly display diverse platonic relationships in a kid friendly setting (Just look at Steven Universe/Adventure Time for proof), and the same goes for showcasing platonic straight relationships (Malistaire/Slyvia come to mind).

Trying to argue that these are mutually exclusive concepts is hurtful, and buys into the stereotype that such relationships are inherently perverted. I know that nobody here has those dark intentions, but intent doesn't lessen impact. I do appreciate the fact that we are able to have this honest conversation though, thank you for that!

Showcasing diversity- especially to kids- has been shown to increase acceptance, since it normalizes our differences. That is why having explicitly queer, platonic characters in Wizard/Pirate101 would mean so much. Children would be exposed to queerness not in a negative light from people at school, on TV, or their church, but as the community should be portrayed- just like everyone else.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 6-3-21 at 5:19:19 PM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Red face Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

The awaited KingsIsle blog post about Pride has been released! Check it out here.

In the post, Professor Falmea announced actions KingsIsle plans to undertake in a show of support for the queer community. They are reevaluating chat, which implies that we'll finally be able to say such terms ingame! Second, they are working on giving pink for boys and burnt orange for girls, and they are making the gendered holiday costumes available to everyone. Expect to see these additions "sometime in the next year" as they roll out a few outfits to test this in anticipation of an expanded color wheel.

I'd like to commend KingsIsle for announcing these plans and giving the spotlight to their employees, such as our wonderful Community Manager @Sparck! Be sure to read what these people have to say in the blogpost!

Because it was also brought up in the blogpost, I'd also like to give a quick crash course in gender identity. Gender as a whole is separate from your physical traits, and is a social construct. People can identify outside of the male/female binary, and adopt they/them pronouns as a result. The best thing we can do is to accept how other people personally identify, as be accepting.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 6-3-21 at 5:24:00 PM. Reason: asterisks, removed comment directing members offsite

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: We believe your true self is your best self.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      The awaited KingsIsle blog post about Pride has been released! Check it out here.

In the post, Professor Falmea announced actions KingsIsle plans to undertake in a show of support for the queer community. They are reevaluating chat, which implies that we'll finally be able to say such terms ingame! Second, they are working on giving pink for boys and burnt orange for girls, and they are making the gendered holiday costumes available to everyone. Expect to see these additions "sometime in the next year" as they roll out a few outfits to test this in anticipation of an expanded color wheel.

I'd like to commend KingsIsle for announcing these plans and giving the spotlight to their employees, such as our wonderful Community Manager @Sparck! Be sure to read what these people have to say in the blogpost!

Because it was also brought up in the blogpost, I'd also like to give a quick crash course in gender identity. Gender as a whole is separate from your physical traits, and is a social construct. People can identify outside of the male/female binary, and adopt they/them pronouns as a result. The best thing we can do is to accept how other people personally identify, as be accepting.

Thank you for the blog link! It's a great read and gives me hope.

I want to commend those who are highlighted in the blog and their stories.

Special shout out to @Sparck, it's great to have a face to put with your posts and help.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I realize that not everyone will be familiar with the identities in the KingsIsle blogpost, so here is a graphic I found that has some basic definitions:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast