•  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Nerdy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Discard right click discards 2 cards

I have been away from the game for several months but started playing again a couple of days ago. I am having a problem that when I right click on my mouse to discard a card from my hand, 2 cards get discarded, the one I selected plus a second one at random. This is extremely annoying and frustrating, as cards I need are often discarded. Can anyone tell me what causes this or suggest a workaround? I am using the same computer and mouse I always have. The mouse is a laser mouse hard wired to a desktop computer running windows 10.

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Discard right click discards 2 cards

It's part of the new bugs, a mix of graphical and real bugs.

sometimes when fast-clicking two cards seem to drop, then one reappears and then in some cases if you fast-click on another card, they both go away. It seems to be connected to light moving of the mouse during clicking (without exiting the bonduaries of the card itself).

Try to click slowly on a card, then move the mouse.

Click slowly does not mean to keep the button pressed for a long time, rather, position your mouse on the card, have a 1/2 second pause, then hit and release right away the right button once, and then move the mouse slightly. Baslicly make sure you give time to the interface to register the click before mouse moves at all.

This usually works around the issue. Of course it's annoying because we all tend to click fast and move the mouse, but well, since the bug is there, gotta find a way to control the impulse :D
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

DanTheTerrible is offline Initiate Wizard

• DanTheTerrible's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angus OgreBreath
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Nerdy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I tried the suggestion to "slow down" and hold my mouse steady for a bit before right clicking to discard, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I am not quite certain, but it appears that the second randomly discarded card may not be actually discarded, but rather shuffled back into the undrawn cards of the deck, which seems really weird. The actual card clicked on is truly discarded, and will only be drawn again if you reshuffle.

It seems players have been complaining about this problem off and on for over 10 years, apparently it crops up every time lag starts creeping up, but mostly disappears when lag gets small. Kingsisle, would you PLEASE come up with a real fix, rather than just ignoring it until lag goes away?

Allison DeathWielder is offline Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  [He/Him] Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

First time I've ever heard of a glitch like this, although I have had issues with a faulty mouse in the past that would sometimes register clicks as a double click, and that would force a discard. It's worth googling a mouse click test (there's a bunch of different sites for it) and seeing if you can get it to detect unintentional double clicks.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angus OgreBreath
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Nerdy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allison DeathWielder View Post
      First time I've ever heard of a glitch like this, although I have had issues with a faulty mouse in the past that would sometimes register clicks as a double click, and that would force a discard. It's worth googling a mouse click test (there's a bunch of different sites for it) and seeing if you can get it to detect unintentional double clicks.
      I have had what seemed to be the same issue in the past with different equipment, though not as severe as when I started this thread. I also googled the issue and found a lot of similar complaints, although the most recent was from 2014. With that said, I did follow your advice and found a website that let me rest the double click function. It appears that my mouse does indeed often send a double click command when right clicked. I also have noticed that sometimes when clicking to close a dialog box with an NPC a new one opens for no apparent reason, my conclusion is this is again a case of erroneous double click.

I was able to gain some relief by adjusting my mouse double click recognition speed to the maximum windows 10 allows in windows settings. This has reduced the frequency of the problem but not eliminated it. I suppose I will have to replace my mouse. I am on a very limited budget and that may take awhile, but I expect to come back and report my results here when I get one.

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheTerrible View Post
      I have had what seemed to be the same issue in the past with different equipment, though not as severe as when I started this thread. I also googled the issue and found a lot of similar complaints, although the most recent was from 2014. With that said, I did follow your advice and found a website that let me rest the double click function. It appears that my mouse does indeed often send a double click command when right clicked. I also have noticed that sometimes when clicking to close a dialog box with an NPC a new one opens for no apparent reason, my conclusion is this is again a case of erroneous double click.

I was able to gain some relief by adjusting my mouse double click recognition speed to the maximum windows 10 allows in windows settings. This has reduced the frequency of the problem but not eliminated it. I suppose I will have to replace my mouse. I am on a very limited budget and that may take awhile, but I expect to come back and report my results here when I get one.
      there are several things in this post:

I also have noticed that sometimes when clicking to close a dialog box with an NPC a new one opens for no apparent reason
      depends: in some cases, when you complete a quest or a dialog, the next one starts automatically. For example, if a professor has two quests for you and you accept the first, the dialogue for the second starts right away, you don't need to click again with the teacher.
      If this is what you are experiencing, then it's normal.
      Note that if they have 3 or more quests, then the auto next doesn't work, and in some later worlds it seems it wasn't implemented.

I was able to gain some relief by adjusting my mouse double click recognition speed to the maximum windows 10 allows in windows settings. This has reduced the frequency of the problem but not eliminated it.
      While you wait for a new mouse, a few alternative keyboard shortcuts:

In general, you can use spacebar to validate actions: to go to the next dialogue window, accept quests, and close completed dialogues. If you push it once too much, the only thing that will happen is that you'll jump.

you can use arrows left/right to select a card, and spacebar to activate it.

Note that if you start using the mouse before selecting a card, the cursor must be aligned with the deck or cards, for this to work (or you will select anything clickable on the screen). To use a card that needs targeting, select it first, then use Arrow keys until the cursor is placed on the target (this includes enchanting cards). If the mouse cursor is too close to a card's border, you may need to recenter it before using space bar.

This trick has a limit: you cannot self target. So after you select the card, move the mouse on your char and click on it (double click will just deselect the card if it happens).

Also apparently there is no discard key, or at least I never found it..So this won't solve all of your issues.

But for example if your left button works fine, you could swap left/right and keep the left only for the discard action.
      Or, depending on your keyboard, you may be able to setup a shortcut to emulate a right-click with a specific key/key combo.

you can use num lock to run forward instead of clicking on both mouse buttons (push num lock again to stop or use either forward/back arrows). While in auto run mode, you can use left and right arrows to navigate accordingly.

For the rest, there is a wide number of keys that activate different actions. Almost all keyboard keys have some kind of effect, and although it is not possible to play the game at 100% without a mouse, you can still strongly reduce its usage with key shortcuts.

Experiment and see if it grows on you...
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angus OgreBreath
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Nerdy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

My new mouse came in a couple of days ago and I got around to installing it today. Testing shows it doesn't erroneously double click and discarding in w101 now seems to work normally. My thanks to all who tried to help me.