•  Stained Glass Roller

Mood:
      Friendly

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

This didn't happen to me, but I was scrolling through Twitter and saw a fellow community member, Alia Breaker, post that she randomly got a 10 year mute without explanation and didn't know why. I saw that the tweet was a few days old at this point, and when I tried seeing if anything more recent has been posted, I saw that KI has since contacted her and given a reason for this mute: sharing personal information. KI additionally said in their email to her that they try to negate people's exposure to foul language on the game, as well as stop harassing behavior, so I was wondering what she could've said that was so bad to cause a 10 year mute, especially since Alia didn't even know what she said that caused this either. KI eventually responded to her email, and the horrible, vicious, awful thing that Alia said was:

"I do have xxxxxx (insert xxxxxx tag here)"

I got so mad when I saw she got muted just for sharing her tag out to a FRIEND in PRIVATE, and felt obligated to post about this here in order to hopefully get the mute reversed if there's enough traction. I want to point out that for a game that markets itself on players making "lifelong friends" in your quest to save the Spiral, KI really doesn't stop and think what that actually means. I started playing Wizard101 in 2013, and as I made many friends and began to frequently play with them through content, naturally, we wanted to know more about the people we were playing with than just their school and fake wizard name. It is natural progression in online friendships to want to know where in the world the friend you're questing with is located, or what their real name is, etc. This isn't "foul language" or malicious behavior; it is a healthy part of friendships. When you meet someone new in person, what is the first thing you ask them? What their name is. Totally normal behavior, but according to KI, it is classified as "sharing personal information" and is a bannable offense if done in Wizard101. It is totally ridiculous -- and extremely unrealistic -- if KI expects you to play with the same people on a near daily basis for several years and NOT ONCE ask them about their life outside of Wizard101. You can't make lifelong friendships with people if you know next to nothing about the person, and making it a bannable offense to want to talk with your friends outside of the game is honestly sick, immoral, and unethical.

Additionally, both Decius and Sparck are involved in Wizard101 communities. For anyone who doesn't know and needs context, in order to join a server, you have to share your tag with a person already in the server, which they'll then use to send you an invite link so that you can join. Make it make sense, because KI's behavior here is so hypocritical. They claim they encourage community interaction and want people to get together, but anyone who does so from the game is risking a mute or ban. This isn't a problem for the people who use Central, etc., but what about the (arguably very large) portion of the playerbase that does not use any of these? If a player wants to communicate more easily with a Wizard101 friend and wants to find a way to contact them outside of the game, what should they do? I have no idea, and apparently neither does KI.

Lastly, I, like probably everyone else reading this, have told my friends ways they can contact me outside the game so that we can better communicate and set up times to next log on. By sharing my tag with friends, we were able to more easily play the game, form tighter relationships, and overall enjoy playing Wizard101 more. Over the years I've done this, I have formed very tight relationships with these people that extend to well outside the game. I even ate from the forbidden fruit and met one in person and it was a lot of fun hanging out. I guess I deserve to be banned and/or muted for the horrible sin I have committed of wanting to know my friends better and better enjoy Wizard101.

I'm finishing off this post essentially asking KI to seriously look at, reconsider, and review this section of their terms of use, and to unmute Alia since all she did was want to more easily talk with a friend.
      Last edited by Willowdreamer; 5-5-21 at 5:46:00 PM. Reason: asterisks due to mentioning off-site communication

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

@FusionSun - I debated removing this post, since it's about communicating with members OFF-SITE, which is against the Forum Rules, but the subject comes up so often, that I thought I would leave it for discussion. It is against the Terms of Use for Kingsisle games as well.

The rules are the rules, and when you get caught breaking the rules, you suffer the consequences. For all your friend knows, it was the person she was communicating with in-game who Reported her for sharing the information, since she does not know that person in real life. What if that person was one of Kingsisle's "Hall Monitors" or other undercover personnel? Giving out ways to contact you outside the game would also allow someone with nefarious intentions to communicate with a child over the internet.

Children's security online is federally regulated, and Kingsisle has to follow all of the protocols involved with keeping children safe from online predators because they have millions of players who they know are underage. Just because you haven't been caught giving out your personal information in the game, that's no guarantee that you won't receive a similar mute in the future if you keep on doing so.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 5-5-21 at 5:59:01 PM.
      Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Angry Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

Honestly, what does KingsIsle think they are accomplishing here? They aren't "protecting" anyone since the personal information is already out there, and they certainly aren't saving anyone with this mute! I mean, suppose a kid unwittingly shares their tag from another social media site that's popular with gamers. If KingsIsle mutes or even bans them, wouldn't that be akin to attacking the victim..? Also, whatever happened to giving out warnings first before diving in whamming people indiscriminately with the mute and bam hammer?

And I would hardly call a moniker of another social media site "personal information." I mean, could I be banned for saying I go by JaredSpellFrost here on Central? What if my ingame name and social media name conveniently coincide, does that mean merely mentioning that they're the same ingame constitutes a mute or ban? And what about public figure's social media information, such as Ratbeard or Matt? Can we get banned for sharing what they go by on sites like Twitter?
      I doubt that the answer to those questions is dystopian, but I have to wonder where these construed rules end. Times have changed since 2008, and Wizard101 needs to change with them.

The Wiz community isn't just limited to the game itself, as made evident by the fact that Ratbeard, Sparck, and Matt are active on such sites. Heck, the company is verified on Twitter! To bar Players from discussing such sites is to cleave the community in two. It's no secret that this game is dying, and if KingsIsle wants to prevent or at least prolong it's death, then this form of community "outreach" most definitely is the wrong way of going about things.

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 5-8-21 at 2:19:46 PM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Honestly, what does KingsIsle think they are accomplishing here? And I would hardly call a moniker of another social media site "personal information." I mean, could I be banned for saying I go by JaredSpellFrost here on Central?
      Kingsisle is complying with the federal children's online safety requirements. And, yes - they could mute you as well for such a statement in-game.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Dang I better change my name lol Who has recommendations?

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Flux is offline Master Wizard

• Flux's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nick
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death

Mood:
      Depressed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

This is completely outrageous. There should be absolutely nothing wrong with communication outside of the game, ESPECIALLY if the account has "open" chat. I know this is marketed as a children's game, but KI needs to realize that times have changed. Most other games have voice chat or at least unfiltered chat by now, which greatly contributes to the communities and friendships formed in those other games and was honestly part of the reason I stopped playing W101 as much, everything is so censored and I just made better friendships with players in other games. It's not even like giving out your tag to a friend to communicate outside the game can have any negative consequences either? Besides what, maybe seeing a swear word or two here and there? If someone already has an account on pretty much any game or service outside of Wizard101, that should be nothing new and a risk that you have to be willing to accept, it's just part of life in the world today.

Just another example of KI going completely overboard with their rules I guess, oh well.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Just putting it out there, Kingsisle's commitment to a closed door policy (not reaching out to third party programs for sponsorship + forbidding the communication of such by players) is going to destroy Wizard101's future especially as more young players are getting connected.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

edward sky is offline Journeyman Wizard

• edward sky's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Edward sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I see both sides to it... IMO chat should be regulated separately based on chat level, I know that can still leave for vulnerable, but then that's up to the parents for e.x providing their child a credit card to unlock open chat,

If they have open chat outside tags should be able to be shared/at least mentioned without bans/mutes... (Whether in a whisper to an open chat Wizard only, or through one of the following systems: Or at least give us a way to communicate outside the game "safely" e.x (Offline mailbox, a chat feature on the wizard101 Forum board PMS (like the official ones on website itself etc..

I understand protect the children, but that should only apply to those with filtered chat/speech bubble only who have clearly not registered as over the age of 18.

I'm Canadian (Hopefully that's not saying too much lol) so I don't know alot about American laws, but they certainly to go out of their way to parent your own kids, it's seems big brother ish to me at a certain point.

Whether they mute her or not, they have the the info as the other said and it's pretty guaranteed anything else will be provided outside of game now, and 2) What's stopping her from making another wizard and doing the same? What will they do BAN her IP then? Doubtful, and likely ease to evade.

Sorry to hear about the unfairness of it's length, a warning would have been more proper or checking their account for age (if they registered as a trackable one etc) would be more preferable.

But laws are laws, so I think KI's hands are relatively tied.
      Last edited by edward sky; 5-5-21 at 9:24:19 PM.

Edward sky/Life/102/
      And may the odds be ever in your favour.

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

Guys, enough already.

Both sides of this argument have valid points, but the simple fact is that KI has to follow certain Federal Laws...Period.

Let's stop beating a dead horse and remember that when we ALL started to play, we agreed to follow the rules. If you did not, or do not like the rules, stop playing. It's that simple.

KI is a private company and can, aside from the laws, determine how it wants to run business.

You say they will not be around very long? Wake up and smell the coffee, they have been around OVER a decade and probably will be for many years to come. They don't need to be a success, because they already are.

There are many things I disagree with KI on, but they have the right to set their own rules and that is something I will defend.
      @Willowdreamer, I know you allowed the original post to make the rules clear, and I thank you for that; but this becoming increasingly negative. The venting about the rules has been going on for years, so I think this is enough on this thread.

Like I said, if you don't like the rules, then stop playing and giving KI your money. Otherwise, agree to disagree and move on.

MeganFrostFlame is offline Journeyman Wizard

• MeganFrostFlame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Megan FrostFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Piper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dapper Corgi

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Since my first post didnt get approved I'll make another one...

According to the current audience statistics provided to us by Gamigo, the current majority of players and Gamigo's target audience for W101 and P101 is the 20-35 year old age range. Obviously there's most likely still kids playing this game, but the large majority of players are now adults, not children. I get that KI wants this game to be family-friendly, but the constant and unnecessary censoring of words and mutings only drives more people to third party platforms to talk and communicate with people in game.

Some of the ToS from 2008 or earlier (where social media wasn't as big as it is now) are outdated and should be looked at to be brought into 2021 where social media and third-party platforms make the game more fun and connecting with the community a lot easier. Kingsisle even has an official server for the Wizard101 community on a third party platform with multiple devs in it! The Chat System keeps getting more and more restrictive for 18+ players with "unfiltered" Open Chat for an audience that is slowly getting smaller and to cater to the under 13 audience who either have menu chat or filtered text chat that shouldn't have access to open chat in the first place. The Chat System is what's primarily driving people to third-party platforms to communicate freely because of the overly-restricted nature of the Wizard101 chat system, especially filtered text chat for 13-17 year olds.
      Last edited by MeganFrostFlame; 5-5-21 at 10:04:11 PM.

Cosmic Pyromancer | Ravenwood Alumnus | Arcanum Liason | PvP Veteran
      Revered Crafter | Verdant Gardener | Fisher Queen | Monstrology Virtuoso

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast