I've never been too into poetry, until recently. I've been reading pages of Emily Dickinson's poems from the early 1800s. Even though a lot of the poems are difficult for me to fully comprehend, I think that a lot of the messages apply to us today in one way or another.

Many of her poems describe the importance of nature in her life. It's been really insightful to read these poems, especially because I've never heard of someone who appreciates nature as much as I do. And I'm not some crazy environmental activist. I'm just saying that there's no place that brings me more enjoyment than sitting on grass, next to trees, looking up at the sky. I know that sounds almost childish to say, but it's true. I would much rather be alone, by some random features of nature, instead of talking to another human. According to historians, she even convinced her father, the mayor of Amherst (Massachusetts), not to build a train station in the town just to save a tree from being destroyed.

And even beyond the "doom and gloom" that Emily Dickinson is typically associated with, she was incredibly rebellious in her day. In mid-19th-century America, women were expected to cook, clean, and tend to their husbands all day. Emily was the opposite. She decided to do the most condemnatory actions for a female to do at the time and write poetry.

Now I'll address the title of this post, and articulate on why I think Emily Dickinson was a death wizard. It's not because I'm a death wizard, and a fan of Emily's. Or maybe it is, and I just don't even realize how much I unconsciously want Emily to have been a death wizard. If anything, the descriptions that I listed previously made Emily out to be a life wizard. However, I think there's a much more depth to a person's central School of Magic rather than just where they prefer to hang out or where they think they belong. In this case, just because Emily Dickinson loved nature so much doesn't mean that she was necessarily a life wizard. I think that her relation to nature itself with regard to her being a total introvert is what makes her lean toward death, if there was a spectrum of the magic schools.

While life wizards tend to love to provide for others through healing, death wizards often tend to prefer to be alone and energize themselves through a more solo-type of strategy. I know there's no generalization for any wizard, and that all wizards are different and have different preferences and have different strategies. I'm just speculating here.

Oh shoot. I just looked at the time and I'm realizing that I have to go take a test now. I would love to write about Emily Dickinson in more posts because I feel as though I poorly discussed her attributes to the death-wizard community and didn't exemplify in great detail why she resembles the death values.

If any of you haven't watched the TV series "Dickinson," I highly recommend it. Although very eccentric, this series portrays Emily with full of life, in a death-like way.