Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Exclamation Create-A-Spell Contest!

Sourced from the Wizard101 Twitter.

Cast some magic of your own and create a never-before-seen spell card for this year’s Create-A-Spell Card Contest! Get an opportunity to win some great prizes, including up to 10,000 Crowns and some additional spell support for your wizard.

We’ve never run a spell creation contest before, so this is your chance to come up with a truly unique and earth shatteringly powerful card to show the community. Will it destroy enemies with lightning speed, balance its power with beneficial group effects, or some other effect that hasn’t ever been seen at all in the game before? The Spiral’s the limit!

HOW TO ENTER

Hand or digital draw and design a spell card for one of the seven main schools.

• On Card: Include all key indicators and areas you see on a normal spell card.
      • Off Card: A description of the spell and its benefits (as well as drawbacks, if any), its school and other use requirements, and if it’s for PvE, PvP, or both.

Submit to [email protected] by May 23, 2021 at 11:59pm CT.

• Subject should read: “Wizard101 2021 Spell Card Design Contest Entry”
      • Include your main wizard’s name and the card design and brief (100 words or less) description (including if the card is PvE and/or PvP, a Treasure Card, etc.)
      • Card design can be as large as you wish, but please ensure a minimum width of 300px, plus additional space around the card if you add any framing.

Optional: Share your spell card design on social media using #W101SpellCards. We’ll be selecting an additional 5 random social media entries on top of the category winners to win 2,500 Crowns!

WINNING ENTRIES

Winning Categories (one winner per main school per category)

• 7 Masters of Magic: 3 Celestian Spellemental Packs, 10,000 Crowns
      • 7 Magical Magicians: 2 Celestian Spellemental Packs, 5,000 Crowns
      • 7 Honorable Wizards: 1 Celestian Spellemental Pack, 2,500 Crowns

KingsIsle will review all entries and choose the most creative, intricate, and fun designs. While art quality is a part of the selection process, amazing card art won’t be the sole determining factor. Be unique and show us something new! Honorable Wizards will be selected randomly (within all who meet the requirements), so be sure to enter no matter your skills.

Winners will be notified via email by May 27, 2021. Announcement of the winning submissions will be on the following KI Live, posted on social media, and included in the next newsletter.

If you have any questions, reply to your original email submission or any of the community social and forum posts that are open during the contest period.

CONTEST RULES

• Entries must be received before 11:59 PM CT, May 23, 2021 (Sunday).
      • Only one entry per person. Any group entries will only receive one prize total.
      • Entries must be original creations. Any that use copyright, others’ works, or inappropriate material will not qualify.
      • If you are under age 13, ask your parent or guardian permission to participate.
      • This is a fun design contest ONLY. Entries are NOT expected to be actual designs implemented in the game (though we reserve the right to do so).

Let the spell casting begin!

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 5-6-21 at 5:12:22 PM. Reason: Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this post

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      “. . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.”

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: Create-A-Spell Contest!

This Contest: Is Announced

Me With A Whole Folder Of Custom Spells I Made Last Year:
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 5-6-21 at 4:46:44 PM.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Create-A-Spell Contest!

Just gonna take a selfie.

Dylan Windwalker spell

Balance Spell
      0 pips
      300% Accuracy

Does Mass-Cleanse + Mass-Shatter + OBLITERATE ALL ENEMIES (instantly does all of the bosses health)

The only way to survive is to have Guardian Spirit already on you so you jump back alive. Well also Indemnity weaknesses and Protected Shields too. That makes this an almost fair spell lol

So um where's my 3 celestian spellement packs and the 10k crowns
      Last edited by Dylan Windwalker; 5-6-21 at 5:00:02 PM.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Torpzun26 is online now Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Me, who has no artistic skills whatsoever and is really about to draw a group of the most goofy looking Wizard101 pictures ever to grace the internet:

Edit: So it turns out that they're letting us use art from existing spells, which I'm just going to do. Maybe I'll still curse you all with the one image I drew one day.
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 5-6-21 at 11:27:37 PM.

Torpzun26 is online now Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Ok, so the day this contest was announced I created and submitted the one spell I'm using as an official entry. But today I finally designed a similar spell for every school. And now I'm gonna share them.

Name:  All Spells.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  86.0 KB

Balance

855 Balance Damage, cast up to 2 Black Mantle or Weakness from hand

(9 pips worth of damage after 1 subtracted for the two effects)

This is the spell I entered into the contest, and the gimmick I use for all but two of the spells stems from the idea behind this spell. The effect of this spell is customized by the cards you have in your hand when you cast the spell. So you can cast 2 Weaknesses, 2 Black Mantles, or one of each. Or if your hand is not cooperating, you can get a lesser effect. If that isn't enough customization for you, the cards cast through this spell can stack if they would normally. You can cast a trained -25% Weakness and a TC -30% Weakness. You can combine two different Black Mantles to make an evil supermantle. You can cast the same kind of Weakness to hit your opponent's next two attacks.

Death

Cast Death Prism or Death Trap from hand, then 745 Death Damage

(7.82 pips worth of damage after 0.5 subtracted for effect, another 0.5 from it being before hit, and divided by 1.15 because of the Death Trap. Wow that's a lot)

When you look at how I calculated the damage-per-pip for this spell, you will see that I divided amount of pips that would go into damage by 1.15. This is not something that the devs do, because no spell in the game puts up a damage buff before the attack. They account for effects being used before the damage, sure, but even with that you could still cheese the system by having damage buffs placed pre-hit with the spell. I tried to circumvent this with a penalty to the damage. I went with dividing by 1.15 since Traps are 30% and that's half of the damage boost. Meaning that you will still pull ahead in damage-per-pip but it won't be as egregious as if I ignored it. Without that penalty, this spell's damage-per-pip would be 123.5, better than Fire. An option I considered earlier was to divide the damage by 1.3 to account for the Trap, but that would mean that you can't do "proper" damage-per-pip without picking the Trap option. But in that case, why give you the option to cast the Trap in the first place? It would be better to remove it entirely by that point.

This also brings me to another point, school identity needs to be expanded upon, badly. This was the last spell I designed because I couldn't get any good ideas for it. I even changed this spell last-minute from casting Dark Pact rather than Death Prism (and its damage was 705). The only other options I had to go along with the Death Trap were Curse (which would do the same exact thing) and Infection (which is already on every single Death attack). So I don't really like how this card came out, but it serves its purpose and even has a neat little trick where it can hit with Life damage.

Fire
      205 + 810 Fire Damage over 3 rounds, cast a Fuel or Link from hand

(7.4 pips worth of damage after subtracting 0.5 for the effect, 1 for the Fuel/Link, and then divided by 1.15 for the Fuel)

This card either plays Fuel to boost its damage, or it can cover its DoT with a Link. The damage output between the two is about the same if you don't enchant anything, but if you enchant this and the Fuel you cast then the Fuel option really pulls ahead. One thing that has irked me a lot about the Fire school is that because of Heck Hound, they barely get any single-target DoT spells.

I originally was going to let this spell cast Detonate in place of the Link, but I decided against it when I realized that that would make this spell into a super-Minotaur. Overall, I think this spell is a big mess. It's definitely the one whose damage values I modified the most, and I still think that something is wrong with it. I just don't know what.

Ice

Cast a Ice Trap or Steal Ward from hand, then 685 Ice Damage

(7.4 pips worth of damage after subtracting 0.5 for the effect, 0.5 for the Steal Ward, a third 0.5 for the effect going in before the attack, and then divided by 1.15 for the Ice Trap)

The Steal Ward part of this spell came to me in an instant when I read about how the new Thieving Dragon spell did so little damage that it wasn't quite worth using over Steal Ward. I also wanted to make the Wrath of Poseidon card. This is the first card I designed that used a damage boost as part of its effect, which I chose because literally no other Ice card made any sense to use as a pre-effect for this spell. Again, expand school identity please.

One minor detail that I actually really like is how the damage penalty from the Ice Trap makes this spell weaker even when you're going with the Steal Ward. It brings the spell closer to the Wrath of Poseidon card, and I was worried that this would make Ice OP again after they were finally(?) kicked off the throne.

Life

880 Life Damage, transform up to 2 Heal spells in hand to Attack spells

(9.5 pips worth of damage after 0.5 subtracted for the effect)

Life is a prime example as to why school identity should be expanded upon. I had to change the gimmick for this spell because of Life's lack of variety in utility. Do you want to heal or do you want healing? No? What about, uhhhhhh, accuracy? But in the end, I am satisfied with the result. I was able to keep most of the pips around for damage, giving Life a good single hit for PvE purposes since their other 10-pip spell is a DoT. The effect is also interesting because you get to change healing spells into attack spells. They would have incredibly strong damage-per-pip, such as an unenchanted Satyr hitting as hard as an enchanted Kraken. Regenerate in particular would be especially powerful as a 5-pip DoT that does over a thousand damage, and I'm all for Regenerate seeing more use.

Myth

850 Myth Damage, cast a Draw Power or Subdue from hand

(8.5 pips worth of damage after 0.5 subtracted from the effect, and another 1 from the pip cost of Subdue)

Despite my main character being a Myth wizard, I had a lot of trouble coming up with the Myth spell until I got this idea. If they ever update Subdue to the new taunt mechanics, that is. The idea of that part of the spell is to have a minion out so that you become untouchable for a turn while still doing a lot of damage. It's like Grrnadier but for a school better equipped to use the effect. Alternatively, you can sacrifice that minion for two pips, allowing for a sneaky combo into Snake Charmer. One thing I like is that the Draw Power effect doesn't really conflict with Celestial Calendar. That spell lets you mess with your opponent's pips, while this one gives you more and needs a minion out.

Storm

1,190 Storm Damage, gain 3 Good Luck Charms

(Good Luck Charms affect spells with random chance. By using a Good Luck Charm, you always get the beneficial effect from spells like Rusalka's Wrath, and you always get the highest roll with spells like Healing Current)

(8.5 pips worth of damage after subtracting 1.5 for the three charms.)

This is the other spell I had to give up on. There just wasn't anything I could think of for Storm that didn't amount to piling on more damage, but Storm already has Storm Owl which I didn't want to have this conflict with. I also think I might've messed up on calculating the effect as 1.5 pips. I would rather expand on the effects of this spell rather than converting the pips to damage, though, since again, Storm already has Storm Owl. The idea behind the Good Luck Charms is that Storm shouldn't just be the RNG school, they should be masters of luck. Effects that have a chance to work like Rusalka's Wrath will always work. Spells with multiple outcomes like Healing Current will always roll the best outcome. You can even get the maximum damage out of spells with a damage range like the good old Kraken.

Overall, I'm not satisfied with this spell either. I really like the idea it has, but I am disappointed that I didn't get to utilize the gimmick I was working with. Not even to modify cards in my hand like the Life spell.
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 5-20-21 at 11:35:32 PM. Reason: I can only post 5 images at once? I hate this website so much

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

@Torpzun26 Regarding the Death spell you said that no spell in the game applies a damage buff before an attack but that's not true as Queen Calypso (Storm) applies a storm trap before the hit. Granted it's the only spell in the game currently that does it but it does exist. Also, regarding your edit comment unless it got changed recently you can definitely upload more than 5 attachments to a post (up to 20 or 25 if memory serves)-you just have to do it 5 at a time.
      Last edited by Flash33; 5-21-21 at 12:50:55 AM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Exclamation Re: Create-A-Spell Contest!

The winners of the contest have been announced! Check it out in this video:

AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

From the Wizard101 social media site:

Winning entries to the Create-A-Spell Card Contest are now listed on the official page: https://www.wizard101.com/game/commu...MFkeiywo2hoixA
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Sparck is offline Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

So many great entries, thanks for updating here that we've listed them on the official page!

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Red face Re: Create-A-Spell Contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparck View Post
      So many great entries, thanks for updating here that we've listed them on the official page!
      Thank you for listing them on the webpage for this contest! It seems you missed my personal favorite of the bunch, Convinement though:

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 6-2-21 at 3:48:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast