Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dragonshield View Post
      If a Text Chat user is speaking to a Text chat user and they try to share info, mute/ ban
      If an Open Chat user is speaking to a Text Chat user and they try to share info, insta-ban/mute.
      But:If an Open Chat user is speaking to an Open Chat user, go easy on them.
      My main problem with this is that it restricts sharing your name on other social media sites to those who pay, and Raven knows Wiz is monetized enough! Players with access to open chat aren't necessarily 18+ and Players with access to text chat aren't necessarily under 18/13 years of age.

People no matter their age should be sharing usernames, and this is in fact against the rules. However, Players who are at least 13 years old or have text/open chat should be allowed to share what they go by on other social media sites. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that those 13 or older violate COPPA by sharing such information.

We don't really know the capacity of their staff (in terms of dealing with reports). Maybe they are properly equipped, I honestly wouldn't doubt it. The most we can do is speculate, unless there is an official response by them.
      I mean, if they don't have the resources to update Pirate and sold the company to Gamigo I doubt that KI is able to deal with reports in an efficient manner.

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 5-6-21 at 3:18:31 AM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      “. . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.”

Professor Florian is offline Adept Wizard

• Professor Florian's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alejandro Lightbloom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Timberland Yeti

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

While I never had a problem with restrictions/bans, I do feel that KingsIsle has been just ruthless when I see people talk about some ridiculous bans (like the recent one with testing coupon codes). Most MMO and other popular games go with warnings first before gradually increasing a restriction until it peaks in a ban (each step made known to the playerbase). I think we need to discuss the sanctioning of KingsIsle as a general problem rather than discuss the offenses in each post that happened, comes and will happen.

Now to talk about this post specifically, I read from the Federal Trade Commision that:

8. Does COPPA apply to information about children collected online from parents or other adults?

No. COPPA only applies to personal information collected online from children, including personal information about themselves, their parents, friends, or other persons.
      However, the Commission’s 1999 Statement of Basis and Purpose notes that the Commission expects that operators will keep confidential any information obtained from parents in the course of obtaining parental consent or providing for parental access pursuant to COPPA. See 64 Fed. Reg. 59888, 59902 n.213.
      which in summary means that the law applies to the cases where children themselves share that information or get it from other online users (children involved in chats with other players for example).
      Now you can say that people who have open chat, who are defined as 18+ by KingsIsle legally, should be safe to share personal info without having to fear repercussions since their chat is not visible to muted accounts.

Now the question is: What about text chat players?

By KingsIsle's definition, players who are over the age of 13 and under the age of 18 have text chat. Does COPPA apply now? Let's read again from the FTC:

Rule Summary: COPPA imposes certain requirements on operators of websites or online services directed to children under 13 years of age, and on operators of other websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information online from a child under 13 years of age.
      which shows that players who have text chat are exempt from COPPA. There are some laws for teens regarding online privacy like Do Not Track policies, which KingsIsle does not do. So again, no COPPA law is violated.

Is the wizard of this discussion guilty of breaking the rules of COPPA? By the previous points made, No, she did not.

But what about the rules of KingsIsle? No and Yes.
      No, as in she did comply with the rules that KingsIsle has to follow by federal law.
      Yes, in the way that KingsIsle always keeps rules and policies as broad as they can.
      This is the real problem here because that way KingsIsle just swings their sanction hammer and not be responsible themselves to not clarifying what rule was broken, how it was broken and why. Wizards always share personal info all the time like what I did today where I went who I visited etc (that's how conversations work)

I know a lot of players love the game and feel like the company is always "right", but we should know that we should protect our fellow wizards when a punishment is handed without base if we want to have a safe space to play in the game and keep it positive, otherwise the negative posts will never stop multiplying.

Remember this: What happened to others can happen to you for the same reason, and there won't be anyone helping you for your cries then!

~ Professor Florian ~

Credits: Expelliarmus

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Whether or not the rules are archaic and should be updated-- unless and until Kingsisle changes them, players are supposed to follow them. Perhaps if the discussion happens often enough, then Kingsisle will listen and relax their penalties. I have heard of appeals to Customer Service winning reduction of penalties, so if that occurs, hopefully we will hear about that as well.

Until Kingsisle does change their stance on this topic, we should all be forewarned that the same mute could happen to any player who does the same thing described in the first post.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Whether or not the rules are archaic and should be updated-- unless and until Kingsisle changes them, players are supposed to follow them. Perhaps if the discussion happens often enough, then Kingsisle will listen and relax their penalties. I have heard of appeals to Customer Service winning reduction of penalties, so if that occurs, hopefully we will hear about that as well.

Until Kingsisle does change their stance on this topic, we should all be forewarned that the same mute could happen to any player who does the same thing described in the first post.

I agree 100%. As I said before, if you are currently playing, YOU agreed to the rules and should be held accountable for breaking them in accordance with those same rules YOU agreed to.

Normally, I get so tired of the fighting over this issue, which is why I stepped in with my post awhile back. But, I am now seeing a constructive conversation happening.

I am glad that @Willowdreamer decided to post the OP message with her disclaimer post. For once, it has become something positive. @Willowdreamer has done a great job over the years, and it has not been easy and she deserves our appreciation and respect for allowing this conversation to evolve.

BUT, the rules are the rules. We ALL agreed to them and have the responsibility to follow them as we agreed. If you want to see those rules updated, then keep discussing the issue and provide viable solutions that are also financially responsible. KI is a private company and it's very purpose is to make money for that company. It's not good enough to say "This is right" or "That is wrong", instead provide solutions that KI can reasonably use for future growth.

Again,Thank you @Willowdreamer for allowing this newly evolved thread to continue. I was really afraid it would become another complaining fight fest, but it has become a positive place for finally discussing the issue. This is a rare opportunity, BUT it is easy for it to turn nasty, so lets all be careful and keep it positive and constructive.

If you want to be treated like adults, don't just whine and complain...put on your big boy/girl pants and search for real solutions a company can work with.
      I really want to see something positive and constructive come from this thread, but it is up to you all what happens next. Lets keep it positive and constructive and show @Willowdreamer she wasn't wrong to let it be properly discussed.
      "Yes, My Lord"

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm glad this conversation is happening. It's important to both players and company staff to consider the future. I'm just hoping that the KI staff reads this post and everybody's thoughts and concerns because if they are not even apparent of player's opinions, then they're less likely to act upon them if at all. That's what happens to everybody when they're not being courteous listeners.

These kinds of fair and mannerly conversations is what Wizard101Central is for.

But just in case, I'm just gonna tag some people :D
      @Eric Stormbringer
      @Sparck
      @Arthur Wethersfield
      @Vanessa Mythdust

Thanks for doing your part to support the game!!

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lemme advocate the devil.

I think that we don't have a strict legal issue, here.

But in my opinion, this is a deeper issue than it appears.

First of all, I'd say that it was a company decision to forbid sharing of "sensitive" information no matter what. And it was done with "real world" and "consequences" in mind.

Because, yes, the game is made so that kids Under 13 have no text chat. And we all been kid right?

Can the one that, back then, never looked and used a shortcut/roundabout/alternative method to skip a taboo decided by adults lift their hand please?

Hmm.. not many! Because it's part of the kid's life to do such things. You know, testing limits and such.

So for example's sake, let's say that a handful of Young kids find the way to communicate with someone else, for example by borrowing their's big bro/sis accounts while those look away for any reason. Or any other method that would work.

And said kids talk about it, and give the idea to other kids.

And after a while a lot of kids are using those methods to bypass text chat and discuss with other players.

And one day a kid finds a nice person and start talking with them, then they become friends, and quest together, and keep talking. And one day they meet a hard enemy and they get beated bad!

Time is short to take décisions, so they decide to communicate with a more efficient way, say they talk by phone while they play.

They win!

Then one thing after another, they start talking outside the game. And one day, the friendly player invite the kid somewhere, for fun.

And the kid never make it back..

Funny? And how did it start? "they met at W101, an online kid's game"...

You can think of what happens next.

It's not that far, it's not that difficult, it's just behind the corner.

So yeah, some rules are annoying, but if one day they can save that one silly kid, aren't they worth it?

what if it was your son? little brother? IRL friend? Don't say "mine wouldn't". Nobody's ever would.. until they do.
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: 10 Year Mute For Sharing Chat Server Tag

Quote Originally Posted by richardDkht View Post
      Lemme advocate the devil.

I think that we don't have a strict legal issue, here.

But in my opinion, this is a deeper issue than it appears.

First of all, I'd say that it was a company decision to forbid sharing of "sensitive" information no matter what. And it was done with "real world" and "consequences" in mind.

Because, yes, the game is made so that kids Under 13 have no text chat. And we all been kid right?

Can the one that, back then, never looked and used a shortcut/roundabout/alternative method to skip a taboo decided by adults lift their hand please?

Hmm.. not many! Because it's part of the kid's life to do such things. You know, testing limits and such.

So for example's sake, let's say that a handful of Young kids find the way to communicate with someone else, for example by borrowing their's big bro/sis accounts while those look away for any reason. Or any other method that would work.

And said kids talk about it, and give the idea to other kids.

And after a while a lot of kids are using those methods to bypass text chat and discuss with other players.

And one day a kid finds a nice person and start talking with them, then they become friends, and quest together, and keep talking. And one day they meet a hard enemy and they get beated bad!

Time is short to take décisions, so they decide to communicate with a more efficient way, say they talk by phone while they play.

They win!

Then one thing after another, they start talking outside the game. And one day, the friendly player invite the kid somewhere, for fun.

And the kid never make it back..

Funny? And how did it start? "they met at W101, an online kid's game"...

You can think of what happens next.

It's not that far, it's not that difficult, it's just behind the corner.

So yeah, some rules are annoying, but if one day they can save that one silly kid, aren't they worth it?

what if it was your son? little brother? IRL friend? Don't say "mine wouldn't". Nobody's ever would.. until they do.

BRAVO! This was a perfect way to remind us all of the importance of this issue and following the rules.

Many years ago in College I had a Business Law class, and one of the first things we were taught was that laws were a living thing. They need to grow and evolve with the changes in the society the are meant to protect. My teacher went on to point out that all too often, that growth can happen without properly considering ALL issues involved. That is the case here.

Yes, we can work to help KI update their rules and systems, but we MUST NOT loose sight of the very purpose they exist and the dangerous results if the are not followed as perfectly described by this post.

I pray/hope we will all keep this scenario in mind as we continue to explore this topic.
      "Yes, My Lord"

edward sky is offline Journeyman Wizard

• edward sky's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Edward sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I guess my last tidbit kinda echoes on the posts above, If there's a will there's a way.

Similar to how people used speedchat in Toontown (Same as menu chat in Wizard101) to share true friend codes in game to then to be able to speak only in game, I'm certain kids and any one else would be clever enough to find a way to share the info text, open chat or not.. so I just find it all redundant for that purpose. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen, sorry to play in the opposite devils advocate.

That aside, if they go to such lengths, I'd say ban them then, that's clearly trying to bend rules. But if they use the feature's we're provided accessibly (Text/open chat) so be it.
      Last edited by edward sky; 5-6-21 at 6:45:12 PM.

Edward sky/Life/102/
      And may the odds be ever in your favour.

1234 is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• 1234's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  TaraWillowBreeze(L)KeiraSilverStone(I)FionaDragonFlame(F)SabrinaShadowCaster(D)Samantha(B)Sierra(S)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Giving out ways to contact you outside the game would also allow someone with nefarious intentions to communicate with a child over the internet.
      This is the bottom line, and I have always respected KI for prioritizing the safety of young players over the convenience of adults. The game was created specifically to be child-friendly, and I consider the rest of us to be here by invitation only.

Quote Originally Posted by SeptenaryRavens View Post
      There are thousands of other games out there that I'm sure allow the sharing of personal information, Wizard101 just isn't one of those places.
      Exactly. It has gone against the tide since the beginning, and established itself as a game that parents can actually trust.

If Open Chat is 18+. which it is, I see no reason why KI should be muting/banning anyone for sharing a an off-game username.
      If someone with Text Chat (i.e. by the game's definition <18 years old) tries to do it, sure, mute/ban them.
      If the argument is that some kids have open chat for lying about their age, that is not KI's fault honestly. And quite honestly, ban the kid for breaking the rule. Twitter does the same thing- they ban people who lie about their age.

That's my take^. Any arguments against that?
      i think the issue here is liability, rather than fault. They have to cover all their bases, because they can be held responsible for a mishap even if a child lies about their age.

I do think that their decision to create a highly-advertised presence on Facebook and Twitter around 2010 complicated things, as those platforms were not really designed with children in mind. (That move was a pretty big deal at the time.) Encouraging kids to sign up for social media accounts that are not under KI’s own careful moderation (or that of another trusted 101-related website) can’t help but create the temptation to exchange personal information about those accounts in-game.
      Last edited by 1234; 5-7-21 at 2:05:41 AM.

Sparck is offline Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I haven't chimed in here yet, but I'll let you know that we'll at least honor your request of a review. I can't guarantee movement, this is a long set-in-stone established policy that has good grounding, but, maybe the "10" at least can be improved if possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast