Perfection2405 is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Do you have to rate the house for it to count as a view?

Hello, so I've had an issue with one of my houses on the castle tours. Long story short, I have 5 houses there, and for the past like 5-6 (maybe even more) months now, all of my houses receive like 50-100 views per run except for 1. That one happens to be my maze house. I was very confused at first as to why it was happening, but I believe I know the answer now and I'd like to confirm it if anyone knows for sure. So my thought is as follows:

Do you have to have rated the house for it to count as a view? Like, I know you have to go inside of the house as well as the outside for you to be allowed to rate it which means that nobody is able to pass the maze outside so they're not able to rate it and they just leave after they give up without rating it. Does that result in it not counting as a view either? Because if not, then why would 1/5 houses ALWAYS get 0-2 views (which would mean only like 2 ppl are able to be persistent enough to actually complete it)?

P.S. It's not the category btw, i've put trash houses on there and under nonsensical categories, mazes included, yet they still get tons of views. The only house that doesn't get any views is my actual maze house.

Thanks in advance!

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Do you have to rate the house for it to count as a view?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection2405 View Post
      Hello, so I've had an issue with one of my houses on the castle tours. Long story short, I have 5 houses there, and for the past like 5-6 (maybe even more) months now, all of my houses receive like 50-100 views per run except for 1. That one happens to be my maze house. I was very confused at first as to why it was happening, but I believe I know the answer now and I'd like to confirm it if anyone knows for sure. So my thought is as follows:

Do you have to have rated the house for it to count as a view? Like, I know you have to go inside of the house as well as the outside for you to be allowed to rate it which means that nobody is able to pass the maze outside so they're not able to rate it and they just leave after they give up without rating it. Does that result in it not counting as a view either? Because if not, then why would 1/5 houses ALWAYS get 0-2 views (which would mean only like 2 ppl are able to be persistent enough to actually complete it)?

P.S. It's not the category btw, i've put trash houses on there and under nonsensical categories, mazes included, yet they still get tons of views. The only house that doesn't get any views is my actual maze house.

Thanks in advance!
      Yes, you have to go inside and out now to rate a castle. They did this so players can not just fly through a house to get to their friends to give them a good rate.

As the view part, that I can not say.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yes - I find maze houses very frustrating to rate, myself - I avoid that category because many times, we are directed everywhere BUT inside the house, so it's a very real waste of our time to even visit a maze house we cannot rate.

Perhaps this is a good indicator of how many house-rating players are also maze-solving players. You would do well to avoid having the entire castle be a maze, and reserve just a section for those who have the time and inclination for a puzzle.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

----

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Yes - I find maze houses very frustrating to rate, myself - I avoid that category because many times, we are directed everywhere BUT inside the house, so it's a very real waste of our time to even visit a maze house we cannot rate.

Perhaps this is a good indicator of how many house-rating players are also maze-solving players. You would do well to avoid having the entire castle be a maze, and reserve just a section for those who have the time and inclination for a puzzle.

Yeah, well, I have the opposite problem. I see 0 creativity in mazes and they are very short, most times not even interesting in the slightest (that's for the 1% of "mazes" that actually have a maze). But ig I can't blame them if everyone is just rating houses just for the sake of the badge, which is very shallow, imho.

That being said, that's not the issue. As I mentioned, I put trash houses that I use for item storage under the maze category and they get tons of views (some even make it to the leaderboard which is VERY disappointing). So clearly it must be that people see that it's an actual maze under the maze category n they just give up n leave, making it not count as a view.

Kind of even incentivises players to just post trash houses cuz they're empty n get easy views n rates.

But anyways, so basically you're suggesting I use an extra empty house that has a teleporter that leads to the actual maze if I ever want an actual maze to make it to the maze leaderboard...

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yeah, well, I have the opposite problem. I see 0 creativity in mazes and they are very short, most times not even interesting in the slightest (that's for the 1% of "mazes" that actually have a maze). But ig I can't blame them if everyone is just rating houses just for the sake of the badge, which is very shallow, imho.

That being said, that's not the issue. As I mentioned, I put trash houses that I use for item storage under the maze category and they get tons of views (some even make it to the leaderboard which is VERY disappointing). So clearly it must be that people see that it's an actual maze under the maze category n they just give up n leave, making it not count as a view.

Kind of even incentivises players to just post trash houses cuz they're empty n get easy views n rates.

But anyways, so basically you're suggesting I use an extra empty house that has a teleporter that leads to the actual maze if I ever want an actual maze to make it to the maze leaderboard...
      Well, I can only speak for myself, but I don't only visit castles for the badges, sometimes I'm looking to fish or to use an interactive housing thing.

When I choose to rate a castle, I TRY to actually go through the castle and check out what's been done there. Many players do add houses that are just full of pets, so I get what you're saying about "trash houses" and those are easy to rate as a 1 start and leave it at that.

I remember a few Maze castles where I was immediately in a teleporter that got me stuck in a room, or I had to figure out which castle magic thing to do before getting to enter the castle. I make an effort for a minute or so, but if the designer won't even let me go inside, then there is NO WAY to rate the castle, and I've wasted my time. I'm not saying you need to have an entire separate castle, but if you can't design a maze house that will allow players to actually get inside and complete the Rating process, then you are just turning off other players like me from rating the Mazes category at all.

Please, make an interesting Maze, but you definitely need to let the wizard get inside sooner rather than later.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Make it simple. Put a teleporter at the start of the maze (which is probably at the spiral door, right?) and let it lead to the Inside of the house. You'll add two signs: one for "maze this way" that points at the beginning. The other near the portal "your name's house" or something like that.

I think it's more friendly to allow people that are not interested in playing your maze to visit you anyway.

If you prefer to impose the maze to visitors, well, there will be less visitors, that's all.
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

----

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by richardDkht View Post
      Make it simple. Put a teleporter at the start of the maze (which is probably at the spiral door, right?) and let it lead to the Inside of the house. You'll add two signs: one for "maze this way" that points at the beginning. The other near the portal "your name's house" or something like that.

I think it's more friendly to allow people that are not interested in playing your maze to visit you anyway.

If you prefer to impose the maze to visitors, well, there will be less visitors, that's all.
      Eh, not fond of the idea to instantly allow people inside, skipping 25% of the maze. But I will add a 2nd house that will act as a "lobby". Peopl can then easily rate it and put it on the leaderboard n ppl who seek an actual maze can go through the teleporter n start it. Guess that'd suffice as a solution. Thanks

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Eh, not fond of the idea to instantly allow people inside, skipping 25% of the maze. But I will add a 2nd house that will act as a "lobby". Peopl can then easily rate it and put it on the leaderboard n ppl who seek an actual maze can go through the teleporter n start it. Guess that'd suffice as a solution. Thanks
      Is your goal here to get folks to try your existing Maze, or earn the badge for having a Maze house on the leaderboard?

It sounds to me like you are trying to create a Maze you personally like, but you don't want people to actually Rate that same house on Tours. To me, using a different house as a "lobby" defeats the purpose of getting your actual Maze seen by people -- how many will actually go to it? They will Rate your lobby house and be done.

----

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      Is your goal here to get folks to try your existing Maze, or earn the badge for having a Maze house on the leaderboard?

It sounds to me like you are trying to create a Maze you personally like, but you don't want people to actually Rate that same house on Tours. To me, using a different house as a "lobby" defeats the purpose of getting your actual Maze seen by people -- how many will actually go to it? They will Rate your lobby house and be done.

I already have all the housing badges. I've always been into puzzles and mazes and since I can't find anyone that's done something like it to the level that I'd expect, I decided that I'd do it myself. Hence I want to make an all out, crazy maze that's long, challenging, highly engineered with castle magic, etc and have it on the leaderboard for people like me who like those types of stuff. And of course what'd be the point of me making it in the first place if there's nobody that'd actually play it.

I don't mind if the lobby house is rated instead of the actual maze because the full maze cannot be rated anyways, haha. The maze spans 3 houses so only the first part would be rated anyways. Hence if the lobby house is rated I still see it as a full maze rate, I guess. And again, I don't mind if it's 1st or 100th, point is that I'd like for it to be somewhere where I know it can be found. Chances are if you're not persistent enough to even find it in the first place, you wouldn't finish it either (not that it'd be hard to exit the lobby house, it'll just be a in-n-out type of house).

I'm not fond of the idea of allowing people to have the option to go inside instantly, skipping like 20% of the maze if they happen to get stuck on a puzzle in the beginning. I could, of course, teleport them to somewhere where they have no option but to go outside again but still. I guess I'll figure it out. At least now I know that the reason it has 0 views is cuz nobody actually manages to reach the inside fast enough and since it's not rated it doesn't count as a view.

Thank you all once again for the suggestions

1234 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• 1234's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  TaraWillowBreeze(L)KeiraSilverStone(I)FionaDragonFlame(F)SabrinaShadowCaster(D)Samantha(B)Sierra(S)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I already have all the housing badges. I've always been into puzzles and mazes and since I can't find anyone that's done something like it to the level that I'd expect, I decided that I'd do it myself. Hence I want to make an all out, crazy maze that's long, challenging, highly engineered with castle magic, etc and have it on the leaderboard for people like me who like those types of stuff. And of course what'd be the point of me making it in the first place if there's nobody that'd actually play it.

I don't mind if the lobby house is rated instead of the actual maze because the full maze cannot be rated anyways, haha. The maze spans 3 houses so only the first part would be rated anyways. Hence if the lobby house is rated I still see it as a full maze rate, I guess. And again, I don't mind if it's 1st or 100th, point is that I'd like for it to be somewhere where I know it can be found. Chances are if you're not persistent enough to even find it in the first place, you wouldn't finish it either (not that it'd be hard to exit the lobby house, it'll just be a in-n-out type of house).

I'm not fond of the idea of allowing people to have the option to go inside instantly, skipping like 20% of the maze if they happen to get stuck on a puzzle in the beginning. I could, of course, teleport them to somewhere where they have no option but to go outside again but still. I guess I'll figure it out. At least now I know that the reason it has 0 views is cuz nobody actually manages to reach the inside fast enough and since it's not rated it doesn't count as a view.

Thank you all once again for the suggestions
      Some additional thoughts: How are players able to rate a multi-castle maze, even assuming they will stick with it? I don't think there's a way to rate a castle that you haven't been sent to directly by the tours interface; once you enter a connected castle doesn't the rating functionality stop? I don't think it would come back when you return to the "lobby." Also, if players are anything like me, they may hesitate to enter teleporters to another castle; I am always trying to rate the castle I'm in. IMO you will have a better chance of your maze house being rated if you find a way to do it all in one castle space that utilizes indoors as well as out.
      Last edited by 1234; 5-3-21 at 2:31:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast