•  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Wizard101Devs: Regarding PvE Crit and Block.

(Cross-posting from the Wizard101Devs Twitter account).

Regarding PvE Crit and Block:

Since our update to the crit and block system, mobs have (due to a bug) not been properly integrated into the system.

Players have been critting at a 95% rate for nearly x2 damage, while mobs have not been critting OR blocking.

Our most recent update fixed this bug from the mob side and they began critting and blocking again. Although players on Test Realm reported that mobs were working as intended, we had no reports of any problems with the crit/block settings for mobs.

However, once these settings went Live, many players were unprepared (with little or no block gear) for mobs critting; we estimate that mobs were suddenly getting x1.35 or more crits vs. players. Progress was blocked for those players.

As we were already in the process of an update, we adjusted the crit/block settings to reduce the impact of crit overall.

We have heard your feedback and will make further changes to mob stats and the crit/block settings ASAP, to fine tune PvE play.

It is important to remember that players and mobs share the same crit/block system and changes go both ways. Mobs use their own stats - which are much lower than player stats - but if you want more crit chance and crit multiplier, mobs will get it too.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

cynder muffin is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Friendly

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Wizard101Devs: Regarding PvE Crit and Block.

hi

The problem i have with this is that it is a one-size-fits-all solution. I understand why it would be desirable for enemies to have comparable potential for critical damage that players have, but this solution is to just take it away from all players. This disproportionately impacts the glass cannon players. If the goal is to achieve greater balance, then let the glass canons keep their 100% critical and offset that by making them have 0% incoming block. Capping all players at 70% critical takes away my identity as a glass cannon. Imagine how healers would feel if they had no AOE healing spells and had to help teammates one at a time, or how tanks would feel if resist were capped at 40%. If glass cannons are really so OP that they need to be hobbled, then why can't that be accomplished by making their glass more fragile instead of by nerfing their cannon? If it is to be the case that there are no longer any glass cannons, then i have no place in the game. Isn't that why we have personality specific schools, to that everyone can have an identity?

thanks for listening ~ cynder

SeptenaryRavens is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I checked the tweets in response to this twitter thread, and it's pretty mixed. Some want it reverted, some want a compromise, and some like it now. In an ideal world, I would like a compromise. But seeing that KI doesn't want to split the mob/player critical systems into separate ones, a reversion seems like the only option in my eyes. Lowering both the players' chance and multiplier to critical as well as the mobs just completely defeats the purpose of doing so. This change should only be affecting the mobs, but the players are being brought down with them. Until KI alters the stats on JUST the mobs and NOT the players, then I could see this being improved (as in making it easier for solo players to make it through Arc 2 and 3).

Allison DeathWielder is offline Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  [He/Him] Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I genuinely don't know what I want to see here. Wizard101's Critical/Block system is already very different from most games. In pretty much any other game, Criticals are not something that happen commonly, but usually have a big impact when they do. In Wizard101's case, players often consider their stats automatically bad if they can't Critical 100% of the time, or very near to it. Every hit must be a Critical or the stat is worthless, it seems.

I prefer the idea that it's a rarer mechanic that shouldn't have the pull that it does due to how easy it's been to achieve perfection (under previous systems), but it's also hard to deny that there's a culture built around the Critical stat in Wizard101 and no one is going to want to have their power nerfed at this point. It's essentially become a second Damage stat rather than something faithful to the purpose of a Critical Hit.

I really do wonder if there's some kind of possible compromise here. I do think having Block reduce Critical was a step in that direction, and it's something worth exploring more while playing around with the attainability of Critical Rating, what that rating translates to, and how it impacts our effectiveness against enemies.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 5-1-21 at 1:30:02 PM.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Exclamation Re: Wizard101Devs: Regarding PvE Crit and Block.

BlazeLifehammer uploaded this video on the new Critical and Block changes this morning, check it out!:

He explains everything quite well, and I recommend that you watch it if you're unsure of what these changes mean for the game.

I'm honestly quite disappointed with these changes. Not only did the Devs forgo vetting them through Test Realm, Critical/Block has been equalized for each school! As @cynder muffin pointed out, we need variation among the 7 schools stats, as these strengths and weaknesses give the game definition. To equalize everything is to erase founding principles of each school, and will only serve to make the game even more imbalanced.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

cynder muffin is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Friendly

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I could live with rare critical. That is, rare enough that you wouldn't build a strategy around it. Then i could just adapt to it like the nerfed shadow spells (although adapting to a 50% damage cut would be a tougher pill to swallow :-) ). But pinning it between 25 and 75 really makes things frustrating. Particularly for bosses where the best strategy is to build up for a one-shot ending. With this new change, you'll have to build up assuming no critical and then be annoyed 75% of the time when you hit double what you needed.

One compromise i would be okay with is another way to build a glass cannon. If the best expected damage is to be approximately +320, which is where seem to be headed (ie, 200 damage with 60% critical), then give me some way to build 300 damage with 5% critical. That's something i could adapt to.

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
      (Cross-posting from the Wizard101Devs Twitter account).

Regarding PvE Crit and Block:

It is important to remember that players and mobs share the same crit/block system and changes go both ways. Mobs use their own stats - which are much lower than player stats - but if you want more crit chance and crit multiplier, mobs will get it too.

Hmm.. i'd like to brainstorm on this.

So basicly, there was a system that, broke as it may have been, did not really generate major issues for players of the original game (well consider my comments to only apply to PVE).

BUT, there was an issue for the devs because they hit and crashed into the hard wall the system provided.

So they started putting their hands in the engine, so to speak, and moved a valve here, and a bulb there, swapped a cable, cleaned a part, cut out bits & pieces, and so on.

And over and over the system changed, us passive observers of godly decisions uselessly complaning about how the changes did not fit our expectancies and we felt robbed of what we were promised and due, since we obtained it with much effort.

And today that said sport engine is so clean and tweaked that it could easily drive a lawnmower, and years (centuries, if you stick them all together!) of efforts went down the drain, and the team keeps cobbling - apologies, i meant fine-tuning - it, we are told that if *WE* want more of this or that, there will be consequences... As if to justify that things are actually working as intended..?

I have seen my crit going from a One out of two hits on average with double the damage, to every single hit with a bit less damage, to now where I am criticalling next to nothing and when I do my damage is barely above the normal non-crit damage I did before they started touching stuff.

And when I do not critical, my char is now weakish, after all the efforts spent to make it decent (I camped at level 80-85 for 2 years just to get the proper stuff and spells on it).

Beside that my deck is getting dull, all the cards that were giving it some variety got into the dump pile and make questing oh so boring.

I for one was pretty satisfied with the original crit system. In my opinion simply adding a level-based modifier that would reduce it instead of increasing it was a simple solution to justify higher level gear and keep the things proper.

This kind of tweets aches my head..
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

Dylan489 is offline Adept Wizard

• Dylan489's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Thunderfist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Jessie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  shenlong dragon

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

No matter how they deal with this, it just seems they will make one base happy and another one upset.

The crit/block system isn't perfect and it is hard to make it perfect. However, I do think it is at least somewhat better now. For example, Karamelle for the most part was WAY too easy since release, but now with this new system, the mobs/bosses are more in line doing damage with what I expect this high of a level.

sparkyflamefire is online now Journeyman Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The developers did more than just adjust crit/block. Explain to me how a boss in Empyrea pt 1 (The Terror) now has Grrrnadir, and also added Glow Bug to what is listed in the wiki. I don't know exactly when these changes went into effect, as I hadn't done that boss in a while, but the presence of Grrrnadir does mean that its relatively recent.

And yes, he critted every time as did his minion.

edward sky is offline Journeyman Wizard

• edward sky's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Edward sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Not sure how I feel about caps, but it's probably inevitable, I left when the first reduced crit/block change occurred so not much change to me there.

That aside, I hope they eventually split the stats between mobs / us the pve players so it can be balanced more accordingly without nerfing/buffing either or severely.

Damage is definitely looking like more of the flattering stat even with the caps at this point in time though.

If I could ever get my life Wizard through Polaris i'll be sure to let everyone know.
      Last edited by edward sky; 5-4-21 at 12:32:31 AM.

Edward sky/Life/102/
      And may the odds be ever in your favour.