Mood:
      Curious

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Spring 2021 Update - Your First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      I just tried to log in, and was sent the rejection notice that I must have Windows 7 64 bit or higher.

Guess I wont be playing W101 any time soon.

Oxnhorse
      Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      Windows XP 32 bit computer

Oxnhorse
      Same issues. Grandson got the same error message, must have Windows 7 64 bit or higher. With Windows XP 32 bit laptop we won't be playing anytime soon..... I guess they won't miss losing a few accounts. I won't pay for something I can't play and certainly can't afford to buy new laptops.

Fallon WinterLeaf

SeptenaryRavens is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldendragon18 View Post
      Same issues. Grandson got the same error message, must have Windows 7 64 bit or higher. With Windows XP 32 bit laptop we won't be playing anytime soon..... I guess they won't miss losing a few accounts. I won't pay for something I can't play and certainly can't afford to buy new laptops.
      I've always come to know Wizard101 as being compatible with many older systems, so it's unfortunate that they decided to switch operating system compatibility. A good chunk of people in the world can't afford to buy cosmetic items like a new $1000 gaming laptop with windows 10 x64 - a lot of people still use older laptops with older operating systems. KI is actively alienating those players, on top of asking them to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on equipment that is even harder to come by during the pandemic. @JaredSpellFrost and I can agree to disagree on the blade changes, but when KI alienates their playerbase to this grand of a scale, giving them the side-eye isn't enough.

goldendragon18 is offline Master Wizard

• goldendragon18's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Fallon WinterLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mr Charlie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ianthine (Ultra)

Mood:
      Curious

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SeptenaryRavens View Post
      I've always come to know Wizard101 as being compatible with many older systems, so it's unfortunate that they decided to switch operating system compatibility. A good chunk of people in the world can't afford to buy cosmetic items like a new $1000 gaming laptop with windows 10 x64 - a lot of people still use older laptops with older operating systems. KI is actively alienating those players, on top of asking them to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on equipment that is even harder to come by during the pandemic. @JaredSpellFrost and I can agree to disagree on the blade changes, but when KI alienates their playerbase to this grand of a scale, giving them the side-eye isn't enough.
      I think some of us knew there would be some unexpected changes once the game was sold. But, I certainly didn't expect this. I am beginning to wish I had not let my grandson set up an account now. He has watched me play since he was a year old. The game animations drew his attention and he sat on my lap until he would fall asleep. As he got older, he would ask when he could play. I let him create an account when he turned 10. Now this is where we are. Sad when a game is cutting out players with older systems.

I just read a few posts on the main boards. Many with Macs are having issues because the game isn't recognizing their 64 bit systems. Others have older systems and now can't play. I don't think many are going to be able to buy new systems anytime soon. I recently looked at buying a new one but most of what has been available has been Chromebooks at a reasonable price and not really something I would want to play this game or much of anything else outside of online schooling. Not sure yet what I will do except disable a couple of subs until we can play or just stop altogether.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Phenoixblizzard is offline Adept Wizard

• Phenoixblizzard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber DragonBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fern
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mega Snow Beast

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I have no idea what happened, but I got into a "ghost fight" and I couldn't do a thing to get out- win, lose, or even log out. I couldn't pick a spell. I logged out of my 3 accounts I was questing on and went back in and they were STILL acting as if they were in the fight! Taking damage, gaining pips, and even the dual circle was still there. I had to go onto my ice wiz to put an end to it (and it didn't count towards their quest since they weren't in it officially). I'm going to uninstall and reinstall the game just in case any files got corrupted and hopefully that helps. I didn't think to take a screenshot of it since I was trying to get them out of the fight since they were not doing anything. They were just hopping back onto their mounts and the fight was continuing as normal. It's happened before, but not this bad. It kinda started around the time they were prepping for test realm I think, but that might just be a coincidence.

Now I have to reload everything instead of questing. Just lovely.
      Wizards vs Bosses

richardDkht is online now Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by goldendragon18 View Post
      I think some of us knew there would be some unexpected changes once the game was sold. But, I certainly didn't expect this. I am beginning to wish I had not let my grandson set up an account now. He has watched me play since he was a year old. The game animations drew his attention and he sat on my lap until he would fall asleep. As he got older, he would ask when he could play. I let him create an account when he turned 10. Now this is where we are. Sad when a game is cutting out players with older systems.

I just read a few posts on the main boards. Many with Macs are having issues because the game isn't recognizing their 64 bit systems. Others have older systems and now can't play. I don't think many are going to be able to buy new systems anytime soon. I recently looked at buying a new one but most of what has been available has been Chromebooks at a reasonable price and not really something I would want to play this game or much of anything else outside of online schooling. Not sure yet what I will do except disable a couple of subs until we can play or just stop altogether.
      It is sad but expected since the moment they informed they would switch to a X64 Platform that all systems older than W7 would be lost for good.

The annoying part is that they said that.. barely a few weeks before the made the move - which is not something you program in a week - so it's pretty unfair toward people that bought crowns or membership without knowing they would be denied access.

I think for such a big change KI ought to have created a new server, and left a 32-bit one for players who would keep playing until their purchases ran out. At least for a year or so (they could have just made a copy of all accounts as they do in test server!!!) everyone could have then chose where to evolve until the 32 bits environment would silently die alone. (i'm sure many people would have loved to have this "permanent" albeit not updated test realm to compare stuff).

But it was probably too smart for them. Linear thinking, linear thinking!!!
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

On top of all that, I think I saw around 5 years ago that Microsoft was NO LONGER SUPPORTING WINDOWS 7, which undercuts this Spring Update.

Regarding computers, I know that Walmart sells laptops as low as around 160 dollars for a high end machine, but there are many people that hate shopping there.

Food for thought, @Eric Stormbringer, @Sparck.

Oxnhorse

Phenoixblizzard is offline Adept Wizard

• Phenoixblizzard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber DragonBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fern
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mega Snow Beast

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

@Eric Stormbringer, @Sparck, you guys might want to see if everything is working okay. I had the "ghost fight" happen to me again. This is after I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I even let a lot of files load up while I was gone for an hour. The bugs wouldn't rejoin the fight even after my myth and life rejoined after being booted. My life and myth wizards also for some reason decided to act like they were sharing a space after being booted even though I didn't do anything but pick spells to fight. Both my life and myth wizard were riding the Aquilan Dual Chariot mount and I joined the sigil using my life wiz (who owns the 2-person mount that's being used) since my myth wiz would be automatically added thanks to the 2-person mount.

Wizards vs Bosses

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: Spring 2021 Update - Your First Impressions

I built my PC for a total of $1,400. A quick Google search will yield many results on how you can construct your own computer on the cheap, and since everything is modular (Like Legos!) it's not that hard to put together. However, I wouldn't recommend making such an investment solely for Wizard101. The game is just not worth dropping a thousand dollars on to play it, on top of the couple hundred needed to unlock every area!
      If you're gonna upgrade your gaming setup, do it for Skyrim, not KingsIsle..

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Fredwardo is offline Master Wizard

• Fredwardo's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kyle Ironmender
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Chico
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Egg

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

To be fair on the entire x86 (32-bit) vs x64 argument a lotta processors made within like the last 14 years use the x64 instruction set Its rare to find a 32-bit device for just personal use nowadays.

Windows XP end of life started in like 2009 I think and now Windows 7 recently hit end of life last year. If you are running Windows XP or lower you are basically like 2 (technically 3 versions w/ vista but we dont count that) versions behind. In order to support development of newer and better systems you need to have better hardware to support games that demand more. This isn't just a wiz thing its like a tech industry thing. I still use iOS 7 on an iPhone 5 and I literally cannot run any apps outside of calling, texting and email. I also cannot upgrade operating systems either because the physical hardware of my phone is so outdated that it would either implode or run out of space in attempt to upgrade (only 8GBs of physical space). Apple will NOT support me because their requirements for support are being able to run the latest iOS and my phone cannot do that.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for KI to make this change, one of the one things I've always gave KI was the ability to support really old (out of date) hardware. Talking to some of the people I've met in game it baffles me that they still run on hardware from like 2005.

Barring wiz101 aside I recommend upgrading hardware (and thus software) because the older stuff isn't supported anymore. Any potential vulnerabilities that lie within Windows XP will NOT be patched by Microsoft (Double check me on this though) so for the sake of better securing yourself I recommend making that investment.

You can get some pretty cheap sub $300 laptops that will run Windows 10 on a x64 architecture if you really can't afford the upgrade, if thats too much then honestly Idk what else to say outside of this

Last edited by Fredwardo; 4-22-21 at 8:10:47 PM. Reason: added a cheeky link

AMAMAZING SIGGY MADE BY THE BEAUTIFUL EMERALD GEM OF LIGHT

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Post Re: Spring 2021 Update - Your First Impressions

With @Fredwardo verifying that Windows 7 stopped receiving support from Microsoft last year, maybe KI will reverse course and go back to 32 bit.

I wouldn't mind upgrading a computer, but all my essential documents, games and other information are on the current one I use.

But I will say this: If I upgrade my comp for playing W101, I have been dying to mod playing Skyrim for the last 6 years and the bulk of it might go toward modding Skyrim for gameplay since there are many mods I have wanted to play.

While some would see this as a threat, it isn't because gaming for me depends on what is easiest to do. Currently, I can get into P101 but not W101.

I started playing W101 in June of 2009, and as of 21 April 2021, I am no longer able to play a game that i opened up entirely with crowns.

It was a nice ride being able to see all the updates, hope all the PVPers that won their way into destroying W101, feel it was worth alienating people that enjoyed W101 when they could access it.

Oxnhorse

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast