Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Why Is Everything White..?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Thank you for sharing! I'm glad that the headdress hat brings you joy. Even still, seeing it ingame makes me feel uneasy- I've been taught that as a white person who has zero ties to Native Americans, I should never appropriate their culture in the form of wearing things like headdresses. Do you think that simply retiring the hat would be the better option, or should it be left alone? Or maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong and instead should be focusing on ensuring a more diverse future for both games, rather than changing existing elements.

In all honesty, seeing other people embrace a different culture other than their own always is a good thing, makes others see a different view and shows diversity . Also allows others to become curious and want to know about different histories and cultures.
      For me I guess it intrigues me and drives me to learn more, to know more.

I wont doubt KI will retire it someday, they usually do that to older items on the game, it wouldnt be the first or the last.
      I honestly Wish KI added more gear for the holiday seasons-
      Christmas- new and different christmas looks- ugly sweaters etc.
      Halloween- New halloween looks-
      Thanksgiving- add to the headdress by allowing the full on indian set up, or a full turkey suit- ( rather than reminding us about the first dinner )
      Valentines Day- Valentines Heart dresses ( with Hearts) for the girls and Suits with hearts for the guys- Or a Huge Heart Suit
      St Patrick's Day ( clover hat, dresses with clovers on them, shoes with clovers) Guys to have suits or armor with clovers on them- or even a Clover full body Clover
      Easter- Gear with egg designs on them- similar to the other looks ( mentioned above)
      New Years- Have some sparkly fireworks type looking designs for dresses and suits for guys-

These things do improve the game when it comes to players, I know allot of players who would actually love and want to buy and wear these types of things-

Balancing Act is offline Initiate Wizard

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowFountain View Post
      the spells mentioned in the OP are virtually all derived from Greco-Roman mythology, so them being "white" *shudder* is actually just an accurate portrayal of the culture from which they are inspired.
      Bingo! I was thinking the exact same thing, but you put that into words perfectly.

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I've been pondering how to respond to this thread. I disagree with the basic premise that some group of animated beings in a game based on magical spells somehow translates to inherent racial bias on the part of the game's designers, but -- I don't think Kingsisle itself is very ethnically diverse. Is that a bad thing? I don't know, and maybe they are trying to be more diverse going forward, but no matter what they do, they will probably be criticized. We all criticize and judge, even as we protest about how tolerant we are, we are judging others' tolerance.

I certainly think that if some portion of the animation team had been from other cultures that they might possibly have more diverse ideas and input. Would it have been better? I don't know, maybe it would have just been different. "Hindsight is 20/20."

Removing or changing things based on current attitudes -- something that happened 10 or 20 years held under the light of current opinion -- does not seem right. Why can't we just all agree that it was a product of its time, created by a society of that time with different standards than our own? Yes, we've moved on from certain attitudes (or are moving) but by acknowledging and seeing how it used to be, we can turn it into thoughtful education. It's a kind of archaeology, but without the digging.

I'm older than most players, I think, and young people tend to be the fiery makers of change in the world. Angry young ideals should be tempered by the wisdom of the old. Forgiveness can be a very powerful tool, and knowing when to forgive rather than punish is very much a wisdom we all need.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

JaredSpellFrost is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Why Is Everything White..?

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      I've been pondering how to respond to this thread. I disagree with the basic premise that some group of animated beings in a game based on magical spells somehow translates to inherent racial bias on the part of the game's designers, but -- I don't think Kingsisle itself is very ethnically diverse. Is that a bad thing? I don't know, and maybe they are trying to be more diverse going forward, but no matter what they do, they will probably be criticized. We all criticize and judge, even as we protest about how tolerant we are, we are judging others' tolerance.
      White people like myself all have inherent racial biases, so it stands to reason that such preconceptions would be translated into the game, even if it's in subtle ways. This is why it's important to have diversity in companies, as it means that such offensive prejudices about race are less likely to worm their way into the game in the first place!

I certainly think that if some portion of the animation team had been from other cultures that they might possibly have more diverse ideas and input. Would it have been better? I don't know, maybe it would have just been different. "Hindsight is 20/20."
      Agreed, it would have been better if the team had been more diverse to begin with. I think that the best they can do now is to adapt to the times and try to be more inclusive, and of course hiring more people of color is one way to start.

Removing or changing things based on current attitudes -- something that happened 10 or 20 years held under the light of current opinion -- does not seem right. Why can't we just all agree that it was a product of its time, created by a society of that time with different standards than our own? Yes, we've moved on from certain attitudes (or are moving) but by acknowledging and seeing how it used to be, we can turn it into thoughtful education. It's a kind of archaeology, but without the digging.
      I look at all of the brands that have removed their racist imagery ("Aunt Jemima" and the Washington "Redskins," for instance) and see that it can be done, but it's a bit different in Wizard101. All of these white washed spells aren't as overtly racist as those brand names and mascots, and have been accepted as part of the game's ethos by everyone, it would seem. I'd have to agree with Cosmos and others here that we should be pushing for more diversity going forward, rather than focusing on what's behind us. After all, it would be cool to visit a (Respectful) world themed around India and the Southern Pacific Islands.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      “. . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.”

Oxnhorse is offline Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

So if a majority of the nerfing in game comes as a result of PVPers who lose in the Arena, why must everyone else be penalized in W101 because someone lost and takes it out on everyone else by crying to KI about how someone else beat them in a duel?

In light of proposed changes in blades, global spells and such, it makes no sense to change cards to White, 12 years after W101 was released; unless one of the ideas being bantered about is reducing the schools to one, with White being the school color of W101.

In addition, the new spells that will be added after the current round of Test are all single hit spells; something that L140 players will have little use for.

Oxnhorse

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Why Is Everything White..?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      So if a majority of the nerfing in game comes as a result of PVPers who lose in the Arena, why must everyone else be penalized in W101 because someone lost and takes it out on everyone else by crying to KI about how someone else beat them in a duel?In light of proposed changes in blades, global spells and such, it makes no sense to change cards to White, 12 years after W101 was released; unless one of the ideas being bantered about is reducing the schools to one, with White being the school color of W101.In addition, the new spells that will be added after the current round of Test are all single hit spells; something that L140 players will have little use for.Oxnhorse
      The recent spell audits really aren't related to this topic, and the proposed changes in the original post are purely cosmetic, unlike the inevitable spell nerfs.

Oxnhorse is offline Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

The recent spell audits really aren't related to this topic, and the proposed changes in the original post are purely cosmetic, unlike the inevitable spell nerfs.

Everything that has been said about why selected spell cards being White, are all pure speculation. We have no real idea why the exchange from color to color-less is being done.

All we can do is give our opinions on the matter. My add-ins with the other spell audits and nerfing add fuel to my speculations as to why the cards are White, with the possibility that the 7 schools will be reduced to one.

Oxnhorse

MeganFrostFlame is offline Journeyman Wizard

• MeganFrostFlame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Megan FrostFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Piper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dapper Corgi

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      Everything that has been said about why selected spell cards being White, are all pure speculation. We have no real idea why the exchange from color to color-less is being done.

All we can do is give our opinions on the matter. My add-ins with the other spell audits and nerfing add fuel to my speculations as to why the cards are White, with the possibility that the 7 schools will be reduced to one.

Oxnhorse
      I think you're confused about the topic of the thread. The thread was made by @JaredSpellFrost to show that the skin color of the hands on certain utility spell cards (Triage, Immolate, Steal Ward) and attack spell animations (Sirens, Minotaur, etc.) are white, (which presumably was an unconscious design choice made by Kingsisle) and to bring awareness so that we have more inclusivity for different races in the future. From your other posts it seems like you're thinking about (correct me if I'm wrong) the actual color of school spell cards (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Black, White, etc.) becoming all white under one merged school instead of 7 different schools (which isn't happening) which doesn't have anything to do with the main topic.

Cosmic Pyromancer | Ravenwood Alumnus | Arcanum Liason | PvP Veteran
      Revered Crafter | Verdant Gardener | Fisher Queen | Monstrology Virtuoso

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Why Is Everything White..?

We can talk all day about this amongst ourselves, but for change to happen we need to ask Central's emissaries to KingsIsle, @Sparck and @Eric Stormbringer! My question is if there is motivation at KingsIsle to address the problems of cultural appropriation in both Wizard and Pirate101, and if so, when will we see change?
      Any word from KingsIsle on this yet?

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
      When I was a young, nerdy, lower class, brown (because that apparently matters to some people other than my physician) boy playing this game, I had no concept of the fact that 1% of the characters in-game—or even my life as a whole—looked like me. None. As I grew older, I had friends who have given me the same arguments that you presented. They told me that it gave them a new perspective on how to achieve true equality and fairness.

For me, it has only added a lens of otherism. It made me question whether they were my friends because of what I was rather than who I was.

"Wait, are there any people that look like me in that advertisement? What about over there? Does that mean I'm not good enough?"

And what about if someone did look like me?

"Did they earn it, or were they chosen because of the superficial? Does that mean I can't earn it by my own merits?"

Maybe this is you, maybe it isn't: you seem a well-meaning sort who wants to do good and help people. This critical theory has brought many such people comfort knowing they were fighting for something greater in whatever small way they could. But for me this lens has only been a gateway to pain and low-self worth; it set forth a self-fulfilling prophecy that I still mentally battle with every day that told me I would never be "good enough" because of how I was born. No amount of representation has nor is going to fix that.
      This is so beautifully put. As a POC, I've been conditioned (by well-meaning people) to think about my skin color every single day. This thread is no exception. When I play wiz, I frankly don't want to think about my "other-ism". That being said, nothing would make me happier than to see a wizard that looked like me, because normalization of my race reduces the idea of being "other". Is this a healthy mentality? Honestly, I have no idea.

The best solution would've been to have diversity from the get-go so this conversation didn't need to happen. The next best thing is to keep it in the back of their mind going forward. Yes, race is just a social construct. Yes, it's "just a kids' game". But there are still subtle ways for KI to show they care and hear their diverse player-base without virtual signaling or causing a riot.

As others have said, I don't think it'd be right to racially retcon past cards. But I'm glad we're having this conversation.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345