Mood:
      Zombies

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Quote Originally Posted by Mayonnaisinator View Post
      I'm not sure I get where you're coming from - this is focusing on school identity.

Previously Storm had more base damage than Ice or Life, but it got a weaker blade which meant that Ice and Life could 'catch up' a bit in the damage. Now, Storm retains its better base damage, and it can keep that lead over Ice and Life since their blades affect them all equally. Ice and Life are supposed to be weaker hitters, so why should they get a stronger blade? If anything, Storm should get the stronger blade so they can be the absolute best hitting school!
      I agree with you, but I should mention:
      • Balance is still 10% lower. I get the arguments of why (universal damage and whatnot), but balance can't "catch up" if it's balance it this way.
      • Items cards are still the old percentages
      • Pierce/crit bubbles are unchanged
      • The stat limits reduces the uniqueness of schools by reducing their natural differences (storm hits crit limit, fire hits damage limit, ice hits resist limit *in pvp*). An ice can make up 20% damage from their pet. A fire can't increase their damage 20% if they're over 150%. My fire's damage is reduced to 13% from 20% (from my preliminary calculations on Test), depending how high over 150 I am. I'd use a pet with Spell Proof instead of boon. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's not.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from - this is focusing on school identity.
      Previously Storm had more base damage than Ice or Life, but it got a weaker blade which meant that Ice and Life could 'catch up' a bit in the damage. Now, Storm retains its better base damage, and it can keep that lead over Ice and Life since their blades affect them all equally. Ice and Life are supposed to be weaker hitters, so why should they get a stronger blade? If anything, Storm should get the stronger blade so they can be the absolute best hitting school!
      While equalizing everything stat wise will workout, it still blurs the lines between the schools, damaging their respective identities. Plus, it will be decidedly harmful to Ice, Life, and Death Wizards early on, since their 40% Blades are an invaluable asset in PvE!

The way I've always seen it is that Storm receives the weakest Blade to compensate for their highest base damage, while the weakest schools got the beefiest blades. Storm will still be able to dish out more damage in this setup, but it grants small bonuses to the weaker schools while upholding school identity!

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

MeganFrostFlame is offline Journeyman Wizard

• MeganFrostFlame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Megan FrostFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Piper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dapper Corgi

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It seems like grinding for spellements is the main feature for this update, as well as grinding the beastmoon events for the new cosmetic items. Speaking of grinding, it seems like KI is putting a stop to people grinding for points from the beastmoon hunt for the Scroll of Fortune which is sort of hypocritical on their part for two reasons. 1: There used to be a 1000 point limit per event that they got rid of... and now they're reinstating it for Beastmoon at 800 points, and 2: they have absolutely no problem with us grinding for days, weeks, months, or even years for new gear, spells, or spellements. It's very obvious that these events are supposed to keep players busy for the 11 months of the year when there isn't a new world and KI seems to be trying to have all players have the same slow, spread out play style in these events even if some players want to get their scroll of fortunes over with as soon as possible.

On another note, the new AOE spell animations, castle tour updates, spell audit, and friendly players system seem nice.

Cosmic Pyromancer | Ravenwood Alumnus | Arcanum Liason | PvP Veteran
      Revered Crafter | Verdant Gardener | Fisher Queen | Monstrology Virtuoso

Lightdragon is offline Legendary Wizard

• Lightdragon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Liam RavenShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  artic fox

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

to thin the lines between the schools seems like a better choice. especially for casual players. when i first played this game in april of 2011 i would go into the commons and here what people were talking about and their gaming experience (among other things) one of the things was able to do PvE with specific schools like ice and life. one guy mentioned not to create an ice wizard because he couldn't play it solo and deleted it and life was extremely hard but everyone asked for you as you were the healer. so it was considered ok to venture. the go to school was death as that was the new solo school instead of myth. and a casual player using a storm was also a problem. as in Water works and the last fight in Zafaria the fight was possible if the storm wizard was good. the main reason was storm was a glass cannon.

another positive aspect of blurring the lines is players doing the more difficult instances. as you could wait forever for a specific school. like triton run you would need one or more death wizards . what will happen if none show up. or fire wizards for dying malistaire . the players could be there all day. or even refusing to do a fight with random players. and trust me i can vouch for the fact you could spend hours just waiting around for the proper combination of schools.

i remember with ice i got the blade in the middle of MS which was a real pain before hand. with blades for life and death not so much. but the main thing that was essential for my early wizards was the pets that casted sprite and a lesser extent unicorn. as well as shields. not so much with blades. remember i was a casual player as well as most of the player base.
      Last edited by Lightdragon; 4-5-21 at 10:45:56 PM.
      Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Thoughts from a combat noob:

- Curious if the blade/trap change will again causes the team to tweak damage spells.

- Glad spears got a buff. Maybe they won't be useless now.

- That Minor Blessing buff is HOT.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The thing I'm worried about is whether or not reducing the strength of Ice/Life is going to make the Ice/Life School more difficult to play. Can the the average young player (with semi-best or for all intensive purposes "noob" gear) still be able to fight mobs with little problem and still be able to kill bosses with enough damage?

Ideally all schools should be equal difficulty throughout at least the majority of the first arc, players should be able to choose one school over another not because it's easier to run through that specific school but rather because that school is what fits best with their affinity or enjoyment. A player that picks Myth because they believe that school is what fits well with who they are, shouldn't doubt themselves just because the Storm school is easier to play.

While School Identity is important, it's not the only defining feature of the game. Playability is too. Players will quit the game if the school they want to play as is too weak no matter what the "School Identity" is...

If it is true that Ice or Life is STILL just as good as Storm or Fire (equally), then there won't be a problem.
      Last edited by Dylan Windwalker; 4-6-21 at 7:19:07 AM.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Lightdragon is offline Legendary Wizard

• Lightdragon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Liam RavenShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  artic fox

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      The thing I'm worried about is whether or not reducing the strength of Ice/Life is going to make the Ice/Life School more difficult to play. Can the the average young player (with semi-best or for all intensive purposes "noob" gear) still be able to fight mobs with little problem and still be able to kill bosses with enough damage?
      from what i saw it is better than it was before and when i first played the game.
      Ideally all schools should be equal difficulty throughout at least the majority of the first arc, players should be able to choose one school over another not because it's easier to run through that specific school but rather because that school is what fits best with their affinity or enjoyment. A player that picks Myth because they believe that school is what fits well with who they are, shouldn't doubt themselves just because the Storm school is easier to play.
      from what I gathered the devs wanted each school to focus on a specific part of a team. except for myth which was supposed to be the solo school. that was one of the epic fails and for years one of the minor reasons i wouldn't outright recommend the game.
      While School Identity is important, it's not the only defining feature of the game. Playability is too. Players will quit the game if the school they want to play as is too weak no matter what the "School Identity" is...
      that is so true.

If it is true that Ice or Life is STILL just as good as Storm or Fire (equally), then there won't be a problem.
      i play all schools. and life i found to be the most difficult for quick kill farming. and ice was never that strong in hits.
      Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post

Ice and Life (and death) have been the top tier solo schools since the beginning of time. This is especially true for newer players who don't have the proper crowns gear to get resist/defense on their storm/fire wizards. So if we're talking about playability, this is allowing new storm wizards to survive better through offense. Ice/Life/Death wizards are meant to take advantage of their defensive tools.

Not to mention the incredibly positive aspects of the update, such as updated Team Up, sigil changes, and "Friendly Player" options.
      Last edited by Patrick FairyStalker; 4-6-21 at 12:52:42 PM.

masterofspelss is offline Legendary Wizard

• masterofspelss's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Maggie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Um...last I checked, Life, Death, and Ice, weren't getting spells that deal up to 700+ damage for only five pips like Storm. Life and Ice's King Artorious does 650, pair that with a 40% blade and it does 910. Death deals 994. All three are literally less than Storm's base Artorious (which is 1115).

I find it hilarious that for a supposed side activity, basically every spell update since like, 2013, has been based around PvP. The irony is that PvP for the most part is dead.

"I'm the Doctor"

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by masterofspelss View Post
      Um...last I checked, Life, Death, and Ice, weren't getting spells that deal up to 700+ damage for only five pips like Storm. Life and Ice's King Artorious does 650, pair that with a 40% blade and it does 910. Death deals 994. All three are literally less than Storm's base Artorious (which is 1115).

I find it hilarious that for a supposed side activity, basically every spell update since like, 2013, has been based around PvP. The irony is that PvP for the most part is dead.
      This is an unfair comparison because life and ice king arts have addition effects. You also ignore the equalizing effect of enchantments.

Let's compare Frost Giant and Storm Lord, since they both have the same effects.

Enchanted Frost Giant does 460+300 = 760
      Enchanted Storm Lord does 690+300 = 990

With a 35% blade, Frost Giant does 760*1.35 = 1026. That's more than base enchanted Storm Lord.

Let's say an average offensive ice has 100% damage, and an average storm has 170% damage. With one 35% blade, the ice will effectively have 170% damage. (note that blades are multiplicative, not additive, so it wouldn't just be 135%).

Adding it all together, a storm with 170% damage will deal 2673 for a storm lord.
      An ice with two 35% blades with 100% damage will deal 2770 for a frost giant.

In other words, an ice only needs to cast 2 extra blades to be on par with a storm wizard, damage wise. This is where ice's strengths come in. Ice has the health and resist to survive 2 extra rounds.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast