Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Quote Originally Posted by masterofspelss View Post
      @Bailey Jade makes the strongest argument here. Everyone who is pro-blade change, keeps using numbers and factors that apply to players level 140 (or at least level 86+). But not everyone has Sharpened Blade, blade TC's, or item cards, and not everyone has Epic (or Colossal, Gargantuan etc.) so, the whole damage calculations become irrelevant to any player who can't access those specific things. I mean, come on, the argument of "Ice will do more damage with blades" becomes laughable when you picture a level 48 Ice fighting Malistaire for the first time, and their strongest spell is... Colossus.
      Besides damage, blades, caps, etc, I think we also need to talk about how KI nerfed all mobs and bosses in game by 20% last year. That's 20% health and damage we don't have to deal and worry about. Malistaire used to be 10,000 health, and now he is 8,000. A 5% blade nerf for death, life, and ice isn't a big deal when you take that into account. Ice will still have an easier time defeating Malistaire post-update than they would have had pre-2020.

Also consider the nerfs on the other ice spells. Frost Giant got nerfed by 15. That's it. Blizzard, Colossus, and Wyvern weren't touched.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs down Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      With KI wanting to destroy INDIVIDUALITY IN THE GAME TO MAKE EVERYONE EQUAL then please justify to me why we need 7 separate schools?
      Exactly. KingsIsle doesn't seem to understand that each school needs their strengths and weaknesses, and by erasing these unique aspects they will only shove school identity further down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by SeptenaryRavens View Post
      Besides damage, blades, caps, etc, I think we also need to talk about how KI nerfed all mobs and bosses in game by 20% last year. That's 20% health and damage we don't have to deal and worry about. Malistaire used to be 10,000 health, and now he is 8,000. A 5% blade nerf for death, life, and ice isn't a big deal when you take that into account. Ice will still have an easier time defeating Malistaire post-update than they would have had pre-2020.
      Also consider the nerfs on the other ice spells. Frost Giant got nerfed by 15. That's it. Blizzard, Colossus, and Wyvern weren't touched.
      The 20% Mob Health reduction was coupled with nerfs to our Shadow Pips, Critical, and Block- where are such appropriate rebalancings to go with this uncalled for update to Blades, Traps, and Bubbles?
      And even if this unthematic nerf has little affect on Ice's performance in PvE, it still unnecessarily dismantles school identity. As I have shown already, equalizing everything is pointless damage wise since Storm is still outperforming Ice despite it's weaker buffs, so what's the point of this update?

Also, it's not just a 5% nerf- Balefrost is now only 25%, so overall Thaumaturges will be dealing 15% less damage. And, like I've said, this means stronger schools will disproportionately benefit from nerfing the 3 weakest schools. Where's the "balance" in that??

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

SeptenaryRavens is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      each school needs their strengths and weaknesses

What are ice's strengths compared to other schools then? Higher health? Higher resist potential? Higher non-training point defense potential?

What about Storm's strengths? Higher damage potential? Higher dpp per pip on spells? Higher accuracy potential?

We need to stop talking about damage. School Identity is MUCH more than just damage. Here are my ideas of school identity, and yes everyone has their own:

Ice = "Defense Dealers" - Tower Shield, Legion Shield, Steal Ward, Weaver, Absorb, higher resist potential on gear.
      Storm = "Hammer of Thor" - Higher dpp AoEs and one-shot potential compared to the others.
      Life = "Circle of Life" - Unicorn, Rebirth, Guiding Light, Guardian Spirit, Fairy, can use these spells on both self and teammates.
      Death = "Circle the Drain" - Scarecrow, Vampire, Ghoul, Call of K, Wraith, uses the "glass is half full" to their advantage.
      Myth = "Defense Destroyers" - Pierce, Shatter, Mystic Colossus, Minotaur, Earthquake, shield spam? No problem.
      Fire = "Dot Detonator" - Fire elf, RoF, Fire Dragon, Scald, Link, Power Link, Detonate, best damage-based utility school.
      Balance = "Helping Hands" - Balanceblade, Bladestorm, Helping Hands, Availing Hands, Hex, the universal advantage.

Ice has quite a bit of universal resist leverage in the first arc, considering most ice-school stitched gear dropped in the first arc has universal resist instead of school-specific resist. Heck, you can even buy some of this school stitched gear in the bazaar.

...it still unnecessarily dismantles school identity. As I have shown already, equalizing everything is pointless damage wise since Storm is still outperforming Ice despite it's weaker buffs, so what's the point of this update?

Don't forget the term MMO. Many people have soloed and continue to solo in this game, as have I in my first 4 years playing. But let's not get it twisted that the devs in 2008 had the term "MMO" in mind when designing the game. They didn't give Ice tower and legion shields for no reason. For a team effort, Ice is inherently better at defense than other schools in a fight. The only downside to making all blades and bubbles equal will affect players who only solo. But remember like I said in my previous post, even with these charm and bubble rebalances, the 20% reduction in health of all mobs and bosses in game will still make questing solo easier than wizards pre-2020.
      Last edited by SeptenaryRavens; 4-11-21 at 11:53:55 PM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

What are ice's strengths compared to other schools then? Higher health? Higher resist potential? Higher non-training point defense potential?
      We need to stop talking about damage. School Identity is MUCH more than just damage.
      School identity of course extends beyond just stats, although they do play the most visible role. That said, I do feel like this conversation would benefit by exploring the identity of each school beyond just their damage and resist, so here is how I view each school:

Storm: Highest damage, critical, pierce, lowest health and accuracy. The glass cannon of the group that excels at hitting hard and fast, with added charm utility.

Ice: The tank that can outlast everyone else on the battlefield while keeping their teammates alive. Thaumaturges are much more skilled at dishing out large quantities of damage than Storm, but only if they commit to 10+ Rounds of buffing themselves. Highest resist and health, but lowest damage, pierce, critical, and Power Pip.

Fire: Fire is similar to Ice in that it is more effective in prolonged combat, but is much better at hitting faster. Pyromancers have a little healing and greater utility than Storm.

Death: Necromancers focus on self sacrifice to get ahead, their spells revolve around bravely risking themselves for greater DPP. Drains help keep them alive while healing debuffs do the opposite for their enemies.

Myth: Conjurers should receive the most utility and minions. Able to adapt to any obstacle put in their way, Myth Wizards can ensure heavy hits by dismantling their opponent's defenses. Myth could have the most pierce and I wouldn't complain.

Life: Instead of deflecting damage directly via resist, Theurgists would rather heal it back. Their low damage is supplemented by the highest base accuracy ingame, and their greater buffs naturally.

Balance: The jack of all trades, master to none, Sorcerers are inspired from every other school. They are certainly one of the most versatile schools with utility that outshines the rest. Balance Wizards shouldn't learn spells that are direct copies of other school's identities (Lookin at you, Steel Giant), but they instead receive diluted versions. Manipulation is the name of the game for Balance Wizards, and they can easily turn the battle upside down against any opponent. What they make up for in diversity they lack in raw power, however.

The only downside to making all blades and bubbles equal will affect players who only solo.
      The other downside is that it takes a sledgehammer to school identity, and this wound is made especially worse when you consider the fact that there are superior solutions! It's hard enough to solo as is on an Ice/Life/Death character, so what's the point in making lone wolf styles of play (Which the majority opts for nowadays) even more tedious?

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 4-12-21 at 12:25:19 AM.

SeptenaryRavens is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

School identity of course extends beyond just stats, although they do play the most visible role.
      The other downside is that it takes a sledgehammer to school identity, and this wound is made especially worse when you consider the fact that there are superior solutions! It's hard enough to solo as is on an Ice/Life/Death character, so what's the point in making lone wolf styles of play (Which the majority opts for nowadays) even more tedious?

I appreciate your response to my question. I tried using spells only to solidify my school identities, since spells are the only thing consistent between different wizards in the same school, but you're right that gear is a major player in this as well.

I can personally speak for death, life and ice (since I have all 3 maxed). KI recently made damage enchants on drain spells have their full amount applied to the spell. The reduction in death's blade power is already offset by the fact that death can now use (in this update) dark pact without using up death blades. If anything, death got a 20% buff, since they can actually use dark pact while soloing.

Life I'm not too concerned about since they did swap rebirth and forest lord last year, as well as buffed forest lord. The 20% reduction in mob and boss health last year too also helps offset that small 5% dip on the blade. Since Life was the school I soloed for 4 years, compared to 2011-2014, solo questing for life will be easier after this update than it was back then.

Ice has been weakened spell-wise, but the mob and boss health reduction makes up for the fact. KI is slowly phasing in these changes, and what I'm hearing on this thread specifically is getting used to complacency. KI reducing mob health by 20% wasn't just a reaction to standardizing dpp cost on spells (nerfing some spells as well), but for upcoming changes that go hand in hand with these audits. The slow implementation is what has caused us to get used to present day wiz (July 2020-April 2021), without feeling like we had to worry about what will happen a few months in the future.

Eric Stormbringer is offline Wizard101 US Faculty

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Some things to keep in mind:

• Nothing in Test Realm is final
      • Audits are ongoing and will be continuing throughout Test Realm

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      Some things to keep in mind:
      • Nothing in Test Realm is final
      • Audits are ongoing and will be continuing throughout Test Realm
      Something else to keep in mind:

• The nearly universally hated Pet Update still went through into Live Realm somehow
      • The Devs don't listen to feedback for Test Realm anyways (cough bug reporting cough cough)

Yeah, I really don't trust the Devs at this point to heed our feedback and not implement any of these unwarranted spell/stat nerfs. If 20+ pages of Players rallying against the Knight-Night event wasn't enough, then nothing is.
      Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 4-12-21 at 3:47:41 AM.

sparkfiredust is offline Apprentice Wizard

• sparkfiredust's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Steven DragonFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Kitty
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wintry Elf
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Was watching an "AOE spells tier list".

Orthrus and storm lord were in S tier, since 690-700 base damage.

Power nova and forest lord were in A tier with 665 and 620 base damage. (he put forest lord in A tier cause long animation)

What I gathered from this is that power nova is not in S tier since, inferior blades. Because power nova is a balance spell, it has weaker blades, and hence any balance aoe would be weaker than an equal power other school aoe. Balance blades are at 25% and 20% (bladestorm) and myth are at 35% and 35% (spirit blade). Because of blade imbalances, orthrus is the better damaging spell, even though if we were to look at the waterworks gear we'd get post-48, balance has superior damage stats and would be assumedly the stronger damage school. Yet blades can defy stat bonuses.

KI can give one school higher damage stats (balance vs myth waterworks), but because one school has better blades, 2 equal spells (orthrus 700 vs power nova 665) become not so equal. According to this example, it'd indicate a school with better blades (myth) is naturally a higher damage school. Similarly max storm/fire have similar damage stats, but fire has a better blade, making it hard for KI to equal their damage. If fire has the blade advantage over storm, fire will always be the better damage school.

Iron sultan vs. scorching scimitars.
      1240*1.3=1612 1176*1.35=1588
      1240*1.3*1.4=2256 1176*1.35*1.45=2302

If we're sticking to the differentiated blades, storm will always have less damage than fire, but better aoe spells. We could say storm is better for clearing mobs instantly, while fire is the better boss killer. But that'd imply ice life and death with their superior blades are better boss killers than fire.

One thing a certain streamer has brought up is that orthrus does more damage than stormlord, because, better blades. Storm is supposed to be one of the strongest damage schools according to gear stats. But because the higher damage school has a weaker blade, the damage school actually deals less damage. (though it's not entirely true that orthrus does more dmg. I'd argue it equalizes around 3 blades due to dmg stats).

I guess through these examples we can see how it can be problematic that myth becomes the best aoe school (at least in arc 2) even though that's not how the game was designed to be. Mythblade being stronger than balanceblade defines myth as the higher damage school. And mythblade being stronger than stormblade equalizes their damage, when myth's identity is not the aoe school.
      Last edited by sparkfiredust; 4-12-21 at 4:09:39 AM.

Jesse Strong is offline Prodigious

• Jesse Strong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jesse StrongGlen
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire beast

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Something else to keep in mind:

• The nearly universally hated Pet Update still went through into Live Realm somehow
      • The Devs don't listen to feedback for Test Realm anyways (cough bug reporting cough cough)

Yeah, I really don't trust the Devs at this point to heed our feedback and not implement any of these unwarranted spell/stat nerfs. If 20+ pages of Players rallying against the Knight-Night event wasn't enough, then nothing is.
      Bro what thats impossible lol you're losing me with your point. I feel like you have personal feelings towards ki and the only changes you want to see is how jared wants it
      Last edited by Jesse Strong; 4-12-21 at 7:47:32 AM.

masterofspelss is offline Legendary Wizard

• masterofspelss's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Maggie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Okay, so? Lowering mob/boss HP doesn't correlate with outgoing damage. Malistaire suddenly doesn't get a boost to incoming Ice damage. Let's do the math real quick.

Using available trained blades only. No extra damage from gear/pets because there's too many variables. No item cards or TC enchants.

Malistaire = 8k HP

Colossus (max damage at 595) + one Ice blade (40%), one Elemental blade (35%) = 1124 damage.

This means Ice would have to use eight Ice/Elemental blades and eight Colossus cards to kill Malistaire.

Against Storm, which does:

Triton (max damage at 875) + one Storm blade (30%), one Elemental blade (35%) = 1535 damage.

Storm would need to use six Storm/Elemental blades, and six Triton cards to kill Malistaire.

So, now let's use the updated 35% blades instead.

Colossus (max damage at 595) + one Ice blade (35%), one Elemental blade (35%) = 1084 damage.

Ice still needs to use eight Ice/Elemental blades and Colossus to kill Malistaire.

Triton (max damage at 875) + one Storm blade (35%), one Elemental blade (35%) = 1594

Storm still needs to do six Storm/Elemental blades and a Triton to kill Malistaire.

Literally the only difference, is that ice's final damage is reduced and Storm's isbuffed. So you saying Ice will have an easier time with the updated blades, doesn't work out.
      Last edited by masterofspelss; 4-12-21 at 10:29:40 AM.

"I'm the Doctor"

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast