Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Quote Originally Posted by masterofspelss View Post
      I think your first sentence is kinda why I don't like this update. KI has set standards several times now and then backtracked on it, so every time we get used to the new standard, it gets changed or taken away.

Critical/Block? Changed.

Value of a Shadow Pip? Changed.

TC's in PvP? Changed.

Enchanted Spells in PvP? Changed.

Base damage of old spells? Changed.

And now, the blade change.

KI apparently has no idea how to plan for the future, because it feels like every update is just them resetting what they released already. I would not be surprised if they added a new "Honed Blade" that gives a +15% to a charm later down the line, like how they added Solar Surge to compensate for the other Sun enchants.

If all these changes (no TC's, no Sun enchants, blade percentage, and base damage to spells) had been at the same time several years ago, I think most people would have been fine. But instead, we get them every two years or so, and it just makes it look like KI has no idea what direction they want the game to go (and let's be real, they kinda don't). Where's J Todd when you need him.
      A full scale audit is what they've been planning for a while - resist changes, TC changes, more trained utility cards, shadow pip, critical, etc. - were hinted months before implementation, but they needed to get it right. To suggest that they should've done it all at once is both unfeasible and leaves little room for incremental feedback. Not to mention, these changes have all occurred within 1-2 years, not every 2 years. They aren't backtracking/resetting, they are adjusting over time. For example, they took community feedback to nerf critical changes by a scalar. They re-evaluated shadow pips to be worth 3.6 pips rather than 3 pips after it was seen as too much of a nerf. Both of these also got a UI improvement based on community feedback in this update (more transparency with percentages). They didn't change it and then reset it.

They've been very communicative via dev diaries, the main website, and forums. If you want to dig deeper, you'll find that they're also active in their socials, including Ratbeard's stream, where you'll find that they have very clear goals, plans, and logic behind their ideas. His streams are great ways to get real-time answers to your questions. I learned a ton about the ideation, adjustments, and long-term goals of the infamous pet update after asking some questions in his stream.

What I'm trying to say is: you'll find they aren't running around like headless chicken if you dig a little deeper. As much as I love J Todd and The Friendly Necromancer for their personalities, two-way communication was almost non-existent in 2009-2017. This is why we're seeing changes to things that were established a decade ago - because they didn't care to change what needed to be changed.

The vibe I get from many Central members is they either want no change, or a change that will only make the game easier (no exceptions). Both of these are unsustainable for a game that still has many years ahead of it. In the midst of a 5% blade change, we're conveniently ignoring the incredible team, social, and QOL benefits we've gotten in this update. And yet, they're painted as devils who are burning the game to the ground.
      Last edited by Patrick FairyStalker; 4-15-21 at 11:14:52 PM.

SeptenaryRavens is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Not directed at any specific post on this thread, but one last thought: Only time will tell. People said the game was dying in 2015, and numbers wise, yes the realms aren't bustling with players these days compared to 2014 and earlier (I remember when Helephant realm would be crowded). But the last few years have been relatively steady with the first 4-6 realms being crowded/full on any given peak time. Which goes to say the people who were critical of updates KI made in 2020 and prior are still here posting feedback. If these changes are so detrimental to you, what motivates you to continue giving KI money and logging into the game? Put the pay-to-win aspect aside.

We WANT the game to last for years to come, and if KI is unable to re-balance the game by altering spells, stats, gear acquisition methods, etc due to public outcry, then sooner rather than later the game will become more imbalanced. And probably to the point of no return where any change would be catastrophic. We could consider the critical change in 2015 to be catastrophic, but without the change, wizards in present day probably wouldn't have seen any gear progression (increase in critical bonus) between levels 110 and 140, since critical was able to go above 100% at level 100, didn't decay, and any gear that added over 100% critical would have been pointless.
      Last edited by SeptenaryRavens; 4-15-21 at 11:11:35 PM.

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparkfiredust View Post
      I'd just like to add that most of these changes were for the better.

Disabling tc like -90% efreet in arena is important, because the normal efreets were overpowered, and being able to pull -90% tc efreets at will would be unfair.
      Nerf to damage enchants is a strategic intention with a plan behind it. Adding a +300 to a 2/4 pip spell, massively messed up dpp. Two lightning bats would deal (265+300)*2=1130 compared to a bladed kraken (550+300)*1.3=1105. So having dmg enchants really encouraged a certain meta and empowered low pip hits.

I guess KI has planned for pvp differently. If you look at the available pvp enchants solar surge and pierce enchants, these enchants all scale with pip cost. Solar surge gives a bigger boost to high pip spells, and pierce is stronger on high damage spells, which are higher pip spells.

I'm not going to pretend that the spell audits and blade changes are not for the purpose of bringing more consistency to the game and setting the correct standards when prior systems that were changed weren't perfect and had room for change.
      Thank you Spark Fire Dust for mentioning Efreet, because this helps me make a case about why individuality is dead in Wizard101.

Efreet was originally meant to be exclusively for the Fire school, but KI created 6 copies of Efreet and put them in the Bazaar so every school could have one. By doing this, KI proved that they are running out of ideas, and the cards person needs to be truly changed.

The only exception I would make is the King Artorius cards that has them for all 7 schools and have differing effects.

As for Storm getting a +5 amount with Storm Blade, I have a Storm and could care less about this. Why? From the start of the game's offering, Storm has had the weakest blade, which was augmented by the amount of damage dealt.

Oxnhorse

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Angry Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick FairyStalker View Post
      They've been very communicative via dev diaries, the main website, and forums.
      And yet they leave out key details in the Update Notes.. And for seemingly being so "receptive" of our feedback, KingsIsle definitely doesn't want us veteran Crown Players having access to more direct channels of communication! Raven forbid that the official forums and Test Realm are opened up to veteran Players who can offer valuable insight about the game..

What I'm trying to say is: you'll find they aren't running around like headless chicken if you dig a little deeper.
      I don't know about that, nerfing our buffs and consistently making Spellements worse paints a picture of ignorance and malice!

This is why we're seeing changes to things that were established a decade ago - because they didn't care to change what needed to be changed.
      But to uproot founding principles of each school? Now that's crossing a line! Fire shouldn't have more damage than Storm, Balance shouldn't have a Balance damage bubble, Ice's buffs shouldn't be nerfed- the Devs have made their aberrant ignorance of these extremely basic principles crystal clear!

The vibe I get from many Central members is they either want no change, or a change that will only make the game easier (no exceptions). Both of these are unsustainable for a game that still has many years ahead of it. In the midst of a 5% blade change, we're conveniently ignoring the incredible team, social, and QOL benefits we've gotten in this update.
      It's not just a 5% Blade nerf, it's a nerf to Bubbles too. And sure, 15% less damage may not seem like much for us Level 140 Wizards living it up in our penthouses, but 15% less damage is significant at lower levels, as @Bailey Jade and @masterofspelss have pointed out! In addition, this unwarranted update represents a new age of KingsIsle. An age of ignorance, greed, and just sloppy game design. I don't care what this comes packaged with, this update is straight up unacceptable!
      As for QoL changes, if KingsIsle really cared about that, we'd see a proper supplement for Double Gardening (Reminder KI blatantly LIED to us about double seeds), a TC Vault, better inventory management, the removal of entry level barriers, comprehensive and modern ingame guides to everything, Wizard City through Krokotopia made free, and more.

And yet, they're painted as devils who are burning the game to the ground.
      Dude, anybody who tries to extort SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS from literal children isn't deserving of respect, let alone a position at KingsIsle! It reflects poorly on all KI employees when marketing pumps out predatory content on a weekly basis, when the company constantly ignores us, when Pirate101 goes without any updates, when gambling for kids is proudly on display, etc. etc. And seeing how head Devs like Ratbeard and Decius haven't spoken out in opposition to such predatory practices doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they're good people, let alone understanding of Wizard101's needs, of our needs.

I wouldn't be so angry if I wasn't watching my childhood game get torn down, piece by piece, but here we are. To their credit, KingsIsle has done a beyond phenomenal job with the third and fourth Arcs, but sadly these great accomplishments are overshadowed by everything else.

Here's "the list" that documents just some of KingsIsle's many crimes:

• Randomly banned innocent Players for looking at their December coupon codes
      • Introduced a PTW "Spellements" system that you either have to spend literal years of in game time grinding for or hundreds of dollars on to fully unlock
      • Released PTW Jewels that are only available in select stores
      • They have no grasp on the PvP meta and the schools of magic traits (They keep releasing Fire gear that has more damage), though Ratbeard is starting to understand this to an extent
      • Have made their game incredibly grindy, to progress one must commit hundreds of hours to farming (Which isn't healthy for children)
      • Released a spell rework that made some spells completely OP and others extremely weak, and in other spells they removed their unique attributes
      • Ruined Pet Hatching
      • 51% of their revenue stems from Crown purchases, with only 11% from microtransactions, so where's the catering for Crown players?
      • KingsIsle has only rewarded veteran Players once, during their 5th B-Day bash.. Great way to inspire customer loyalty.
      • Have done nothing to lower entry level barriers for the game
      • Ruined Double Gardening Rewards and then lied about it
      • Ratbeard is rude to Players and thinks the super grindy Spellemental system and Catacombs are OK
      • Decius is proud of the Daily Spiral, a feature that shoves the PTW predatory Crown Shop in our face daily, which reflects poorly
      • Released "Deckathalon" Events that require a person to sell their soul and their week to complete
      • They have refused to bring back "Classic Crown Sales," the best sales for buying Crowns
      • They have refused to release a "Treasure Card Vault" and other needed storage "vaults" that Players have needed for years
      • They have displayed a pattern of rushing buggy updates that still need more time in the oven, then taking months to patch bugs Players reported during Test Realm for the update
      • For the past two years, KingsIsle's focus has shifted from "content" to "MONEY!" and have been spamming Players with pointless, predatory promotions on a weekly basis (For comparison, there were 53 promotions in 2018, and 130 in 2019)
      • They hired Dave Rosen (VP of marketing) and Craig Beers (VP of product management), two people who worked at EA! EA Games was voted worst company in America for two years running, so that's the kind of people KingsIsle wants to hire.

But yeah, this list is why I have zero faith in KingsIsle to get this Spring Update right. So far I've seen no indication that they'll reverse the uncalled for buff nerfs and stat cap, so I won't waste my time trusting in them again.

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 4-19-21 at 2:26:49 AM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      It's not just a 5% Blade nerf, it's a nerf to Bubbles too. And sure, 15% less damage may not seem like much for us Level 140 Wizards living it up in our penthouses, but 15% less damage is significant at lower levels, as @Bailey Jade and @masterofspelss have pointed out! In addition, this unwarranted update represents a new age of KingsIsle. An age of ignorance, greed, and just sloppy game design. I don't care what this comes packaged with, this update is straight up unacceptable!
      Based on your logic, especially as it pertains to low levels (who use more traps and bubbles):
      Death got 10-5+25 = 30% buff (curse, blade nerf, bubble). Dark pact got a change, so I guess you could say 25%.
      Life got a 5-5+25 = 25% buff (trap, bubble)
      Myth got a 5% buff (trap)
      Fire got a 5% buff (trap)
      Storm got a 5+5 = 10% buff (trap, blade)
      Ice got a 15% nerf.

This is also excluding the 5% boost to elemental/spirit traps, so every school gets a +5%.

So as a whole, the game is getting easier, except for ice on the offensive side.

Let's compare similar schools. Life and Ice are meant to have the same damage curve. In the past, life had a 40% blade, a non-existent damage bubble, and a 25% trap. Ice had a 40% blade, a 35% bubble, and a 30% trap. That's a 40% damage advantage.

So yes, the game is getting harder exclusively and purely for pure-offensive ices, but not entirely (see below). This is a consequence of an unmatched offensive advantages ice has enjoyed for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Ratbeard: Ice Wizards are too strong in the Arena!

Also Ratbeard: Ice, you get -45% Legion Shields, and we're prolly gonna ban Shrike from PvP

(from another thread)
      As @Jesse Strong best put it, it's Jared's way or the highway.
      There's hate if they do, hate if they don't.

Everything else is far outside the scope of this update. I'm not particularly interested in Wizard politics, as it's clearly getting too personal.
      Last edited by Patrick FairyStalker; 4-16-21 at 11:03:35 AM.

Jesse Strong is offline Prodigious

• Jesse Strong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jesse StrongGlen
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire beast

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Even though my school(fire) is getting hurt the most with this update i gotta thanks ki for finally taking the time to listen to what the community wants and making a lot of changes. This is the first time since 2009 ki have actually listen to the community, they're trying to make the game better and am thankful for that keep the good work ki

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs down Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Death got 10-5+25 = 30% buff (curse, blade nerf, bubble). Dark pact got a change, so I guess you could say 25%.Life got a 5-5+25 = 25% buff (trap, bubble) Myth got a 5% buff (trap)Fire got a 5% buff (trap)Storm got a 5+5 = 10% buff (trap, blade)Ice got a 15% nerf.So yes, the game is getting harder exclusively and purely for pure-offensive ices, but not entirely (see below). This is a consequence of an unmatched offensive advantages ice has enjoyed for years.
      ..So? Even if this is a "buff," it still comes at the unnecessary cost of school identity. And does Ice really need a nerf at lower levels where questing and grinding is the most tedious? Plus, the poorly designed damage cap will ensure greater imbalances at higher levels.
      And if you're so concerned about Ice having greater buffs than Storm, where are the complaints about Death and Life receiving "more" damage in this update?

The current system of buffs is balanced, and as the old adage goes- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

As @Jesse Strong best put it, it's Jared's way or the highway.There's hate if they do, hate if they don't.Everything else is far outside the scope of this update. I'm not particularly interested in Wizard politics, as it's clearly getting too personal.
      Maybe instead of viewing this as people hating on KingsIsle no matter what, consider that people dislike their updates because the content is objectively bad for the game. I've already mathematically proven that the buff nerfs to Ice make no sense, I've explained why the stat caps erase school identity, and I've described why several of the new spells are detrimental to the game. What more will it take to convince you that KingsIsle is a cooperate beast that exploits children while pumping out poorly construed updates? More Spellements? More EA employees? Another Night-Knight event?

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 4-16-21 at 2:55:49 PM.

masterofspelss is offline Legendary Wizard

• masterofspelss's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Maggie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

A full scale audit is what they've been planning for a while - resist changes, TC changes, more trained utility cards, shadow pip, critical, etc. - were hinted months before implementation, but they needed to get it right. To suggest that they should've done it all at once is both unfeasible and leaves little room for incremental feedback. Not to mention, these changes have all occurred within 1-2 years, not every 2 years. They aren't backtracking/resetting, they are adjusting over time. For example, they took community feedback to nerf critical changes by a scalar. They re-evaluated shadow pips to be worth 3.6 pips rather than 3 pips after it was seen as too much of a nerf. Both of these also got a UI improvement based on community feedback in this update (more transparency with percentages). They didn't change it and then reset it.
      Incremental feedback? We gave them that for every update and they ignored it. And Shadow Pips were equivalent to five normal pips, actually, hence why Lord of Winter did the exact same damage as Abominable Weaver, Glowbugs did just a bit more than Sirens, etc. When the second line of Shadow spells got released and they were majorly under-powered (seriously, Raging Bull was like, 520-800 or something), we called them out on it and suddenly, the Darkmoor Shadow spells were "special" which, is clearly not what they had planned (and then they get nerfed anyway, surprise surprise).

The whole Crit/Block thing had like, five different changes, which all could have been avoided if they just adjusted gear accordingly. Block has basically been irrelevant since like, Zafaria.

UI updates don't really have anything to do with game mechanics, but just remember how universally hated the new UI was for checking gear/stats and... KI ignored the feedback...

And what's your explanation for the Double Gardening Rewards nerf? Or the Deckathalon TC change? Or Energy cap change? Those had nothing to do with PvE or PvP, so...

They've been very communicative via dev diaries, the main website, and forums. If you want to dig deeper, you'll find that they're also active in their socials, including Ratbeard's stream, where you'll find that they have very clear goals, plans, and logic behind their ideas. His streams are great ways to get real-time answers to your questions. I learned a ton about the ideation, adjustments, and long-term goals of the infamous pet update after asking some questions in his stream.
      Not gonna dig too much into this, but there's a dedicated thread on another forum of all the reasons why Ratbeard and the Devs don't actually care about the fanbase.

What I'm trying to say is: you'll find they aren't running around like headless chicken if you dig a little deeper. As much as I love J Todd and The Friendly Necromancer for their personalities, two-way communication was almost non-existent in 2009-2017. This is why we're seeing changes to things that were established a decade ago - because they didn't care to change what needed to be changed.
      Hate to break it to you, but basically all company reviews on major websites point out how bad management is...

The vibe I get from many Central members is they either want no change, or a change that will only make the game easier (no exceptions). Both of these are unsustainable for a game that still has many years ahead of it. In the midst of a 5% blade change, we're conveniently ignoring the incredible team, social, and QOL benefits we've gotten in this update. And yet, they're painted as devils who are burning the game to the ground.
      They already burned the game to the ground. That's why there's all these updates to "fix" it. KI only cares about profit. Why do you think they re-release old hoard packs with only one added item (spellments) or all those overpriced mount/pet bundles? Or how about making new crowns shop items not have a gold option. The best part? KI doesn't even do crown sales anymore, the one time players actually like to spend money.

In the end, I quit the game a while ago, so KI can do whatever they want. I'm just disappointed that this was the direction they went.
      Last edited by masterofspelss; 4-16-21 at 4:56:05 PM.

"I'm the Doctor"

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

On top of the nerfing going on, why has KI started to skip the questing for our pets with every other update?

So instead of doing a pet quest, we get these 7 new SINGLE HIT spells? All of my single hits remain in the deck where we choose which cards to use. Not even my MONSTOROLOGY DECK uses single spells.

As a side note, has anyone else noticed that KI is copying the same pattern as ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE in releasing content every quarter? But instead of constantly releasing new content, they are doing nerfs, fixes and realignment of the game?

Oxnhorse

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Test Realm is open! "Spring 2021 Update"

Somebody should compile this thread into an Ace Attorney video, that'd be pretty funny.

Any word from @Sparck or @Ratbeard on whether the blade nerfs will be removed and the stat caps revised? I would hope that reading through the arguments and rebuttals in this thread are enough to show why these changes are objectively bad for the game!