•  Snake in a Basket

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

What is distinctive about Myth

I was away due to Covid making my life so busy from Spring Break 2020 until Xmas of this past year that I got almost no time to do more than grade papers. Maybe feed plants. Maybe a daily quest, usually on my Ice as she is my lowest wiz, my Myth is 78 in Avalon. I had noticed that my Ice's Snow Angel seemed to be not quite as I had remembered that spell to be, but only thought to google it a few days ago. Found out about the big rebalancing and all that. Some was OK, my Balance finally has a damage bubble. But Myth seems to have taken an identity hit. We were the shield breakers, shatter, pierce and especially Minotar, Earthquake and my personal fav Orthrus. But now we are just like everyone else, we have a 7 pip AoE, and we are down one of our distinctive spells. And we got a 7 pip AoE that we, in my opinion, did not need. Do other Myth wizards feel like this hurt our school identity? Given the fact that now Orthrus and Medusa have the same damage, does anyone use Medusa (is that stun, which some many bosses are immune to worth a pip?)? Perhaps the stat rebalance was needed, but this? If you like this change for Myth please tell me why? How does it make Myth as Myth better? Thank you!

Torpzun26 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: What is distinctive about Myth

I thought that the changes made to the Myth King Artorius and Mystic Colossus gave Myth an "advanced" version of double hits. Instead of doing 50 damage, which takes up half of your damage enchant and forces you to double up on any traps you wanna put, those spells just preemptively Pierce the opponent. So we lose out on one double hit, but get two more in its place.

Now, if you meant Myth's identity as the only school with no high-pip AoE or the school with the only hit people ever used in Initiate PVP, then sure, that's gone. And I think high-pip AoEs are a component of the biggest issue with PVE in this game, but one school not having them doesn't solve this at all.

As for Medusa, it doesn't really have a use in PVE anymore. Before AoE was made into an AoE, it was only so Myth gets a Trap-friendly attack.

jzents is offline Initiate Wizard

• jzents's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Gavin Starcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sasha
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Snake in a Basket

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      I thought that the changes made to the Myth King Artorius and Mystic Colossus gave Myth an "advanced" version of double hits. Instead of doing 50 damage, which takes up half of your damage enchant and forces you to double up on any traps you wanna put, those spells just preemptively Pierce the opponent. So we lose out on one double hit, but get two more in its place.

Now, if you meant Myth's identity as the only school with no high-pip AoE or the school with the only hit people ever used in Initiate PVP, then sure, that's gone. And I think high-pip AoEs are a component of the biggest issue with PVE in this game, but one school not having them doesn't solve this at all.

As for Medusa, it doesn't really have a use in PVE anymore. Before AoE was made into an AoE, it was only so Myth gets a Trap-friendly attack.
      Ok, thank you for agreeing with me about Medusa. And I can see some of your point about Mystic and Artorius, but not enough to agree with you completely. Now I have no shield removing attack in the space between Minotaur and Artorius, which a large gap and one I feel much more than I felt the missing 7 pip AoE. But thank you for a reasonable reply, it is appreciated. At least you did not try to sell me on the idea that higher pip spells are not supposed to be better, just more expensive because they have fancier earrings. Cheers!

PS I think maybe part of our disagreement is that I have a very different view of handing utilities on spells. To me, pierce and shatter are utilities and so I do not mind that Earthquake does not do a lot more damage than Frog. Double hits, in my opinion are not utilities and thus should not be subject to the pip penalty that the developers are using. Cheers again!

JoshyWoshy is offline Legendary Wizard

• JoshyWoshy's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Joshua ____ Flame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many, many.
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Rain Beetles

Mood:
      Sluggish

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Changing Orthrus was a mistake to me. Kingsisle should have just made Earthquake the 7 pip AoE, now they have a generic 7 pip aoe, the same earthquake, and only minotaur as a double hit. As for the overall question, I feel like school identity has disappeared over the course of the game's lifespan. In the original days schools were unique because for example, Ice didn't get their blade until early dragonspyre. Schools were unique because they had different weaknesses and strengths rather than just stats.

Rules Staff Friends Blog
      Game/Site questions? Message me!
      Signature by Amour

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JoshyWoshy View Post
      Changing Orthrus was a mistake to me. Kingsisle should have just made Earthquake the 7 pip AoE, now they have a generic 7 pip aoe, the same earthquake, and only minotaur as a double hit. As for the overall question, I feel like school identity has disappeared over the course of the game's lifespan. In the original days schools were unique because for example, Ice didn't get their blade until early dragonspyre. Schools were unique because they had different weaknesses and strengths rather than just stats.
      Yeah every single school kills minions and bosses the same way at high levels. The only utility moves utilized are prisms, blades, and traps (mainly mass trap and feints) and that's across all schools. At this point, every school could really kill without the need of other schools in most battles. For example, Life is no longer as much of a healing-focus school but now can do decent damage, Balance can blade themselves up for a kill rather than blading others, and so on... There are some exceptions specifically for Death wizards and Bad Juju but that's it.

At this point really, school identity is dead and honestly I wouldn't bother saving it. It is what it is. It's really now about preferences of what looks cool and fits with you...

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

LexiDeathBreaker is offline Novice Wizard

Mood:
      Spooky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Honestly, I can't answer your question because I'm not a myth wizard, but I just wanted to say that I'm honestly in awe by how advanced myth wizards are. Similar to balance wizards, it seems like the strategy factor for myth wizards can be super impressive. The techniques and tactics that myth wizards can utilize blows my mind.

I love myth! Definitely one of my favorite schools.