• PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
  • View Poll Results: Which of these issues is MOST detrimental to your current arena experience?

Voters
    13. You may not vote on this poll
    • Meta too fast

4 30.77%
    • Lack of control

4 30.77%
    • Meta too slow

2 15.38%
    • Meta lacks diversity

3 23.08%
        Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

1v1ers: Which of these issues is MOST detrimental to your current arena experience?

From the Wizard101Devs Twitter account:

1v1 RANKED PVP ONLY!

Which of these issues is MOST detrimental to your current arena experience?

1. Meta too fast/damage focused
      2. Too much RNG/lack of control (maycast, crits, deck fail)
      3. Meta too slow: setting, wards, etc.
      4. Meta lacks diversity/strategy
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by Flash33; 3-17-21 at 7:37:21 PM. Reason: Updated with poll results.

JaredSpellFrost is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: 1v1ers: Which of these issues is MOST detrimental to your current arena experienc

Honestly, I view the heavy RNG and pay-to-win elements as the most detrimental to PvP. After all, how can we have fair, well balanced matches when people can just buy victory or be randomly blessed by RNJesus?

The lack of ingame, comprehensive and up-to-date guides is also damaging, especially for those who are just being introduced to PvP!

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 3-17-21 at 2:14:43 AM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Jesse Strong is online now Prodigious

• Jesse Strong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jesse StrongGlen
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire beast

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: 1v1ers: Which of these issues is MOST detrimental to your current arena experienc

Wish we could pick all of the above tbh! But i would go with wards... People are abusing this right now and in those matches you need to shrike at least 2-3 times to be able to win. They ward and carry tons of shield plus brace lol its crazy

Ps: i heard about the damage limit to 125 and in my opinion that would hurt fire and storm a lot because we can easily obtain higher wthout using our good gear. I would say a much balance limit would be 140, have resist limit to 60 and that would help 1v1 a lot. Here is an example, in shrike i have 187 damage without bubble and furnace, 85 pierce and my 7pips Smore did almost 3k against an ice with a tower and 70+ resist. So wards and unbalance resist hurts more than higher damage
      Last edited by Jesse Strong; 3-17-21 at 9:45:36 AM.

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: 1v1ers: Which of these issues is MOST detrimental to your current arena experienc

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Strong View Post
      Wish we could pick all of the above tbh! But i would go with wards... People are abusing this right now and in those matches you need to shrike at least 2-3 times to be able to win. They ward and carry tons of shield plus brace lol its crazy

Ps: i heard about the damage limit to 125 and in my opinion that would hurt fire and storm a lot because we can easily obtain higher wthout using our good gear. I would say a much balance limit would be 140, have resist limit to 60 and that would help 1v1 a lot. Here is an example, in shrike i have 187 damage without bubble and furnace, 85 pierce and my 7pips Smore did almost 3k against an ice with a tower and 70+ resist. So wards and unbalance resist hurts more than higher damage
      Regarding the bolded part this was asked in the Twitter thread and this was their response.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

CelestialMoon is offline W101C Tournament Master

• CelestialMoon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Esmee Fire/Sky/Storm-Blossom, Legendblade, Willoweyes, Mythcaster, Shadow/Legend/Winter-Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  All different kinds

Mood:
      Cheeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I think all of these are an issue to some extent. Being able to hit someone over, at or near their full health in 1 shot is a lot to handle. Just like the old school max feint and judge strat that caught many people off guard that Esmee Legendblade ran before others picked up on it. And this is coming from someone that own/runs lots of different may cast pets and deck sets, but RNG can be a real pain to deal with and cause you to have to switch strats fast, and if you can't, then you just lose. Sometimes you will face those that are super immune, and I'm not talking about your normal ice with basic ice gear. I'm talking about those that run upwards to 100+ resist while running brace may cast and cards as well as packing full set shields. And finally, the meta does lack diversity. Go watch some pvp. Focus on death with their blade to the blade to the blade to the fat minotaur or vengeful seraph move. Or go watch fire with the trap trap trap trap smores to the zilla. Or even some balances, which why is beyond me, but do the burn to the burn to the pop to the burn to the bop...and these are all match after match. You may see some players doing something different which is nice to see. Gets boring to watch and verse ngl.

But, if I had to pick 1, I'd have to go with RNG. There are just way too many factors at play with RNG, and you can be the most skillful of a match up and still lose due to RNG favoring the other player, even for just a brief moment.

ChoGath is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialMoon View Post
      I think all of these are an issue to some extent. Being able to hit someone over, at or near their full health in 1 shot is a lot to handle. Just like the old school max feint and judge strat that caught many people off guard that Esmee Legendblade ran before others picked up on it. And this is coming from someone that own/runs lots of different may cast pets and deck sets, but RNG can be a real pain to deal with and cause you to have to switch strats fast, and if you can't, then you just lose. Sometimes you will face those that are super immune, and I'm not talking about your normal ice with basic ice gear. I'm talking about those that run upwards to 100+ resist while running brace may cast and cards as well as packing full set shields. And finally, the meta does lack diversity. Go watch some pvp. Focus on death with their blade to the blade to the blade to the fat minotaur or vengeful seraph move. Or go watch fire with the trap trap trap trap smores to the zilla. Or even some balances, which why is beyond me, but do the burn to the burn to the pop to the burn to the bop...and these are all match after match. You may see some players doing something different which is nice to see. Gets boring to watch and verse ngl.

But, if I had to pick 1, I'd have to go with RNG. There are just way too many factors at play with RNG, and you can be the most skillful of a match up and still lose due to RNG favoring the other player, even for just a brief moment.
      There is a dimension of which dueling level are you talking about: L30-40, L50, L70-90, max? There's a dimension of what level of gear do you have: PvE random gear, best dropped from world/level, or best money can buy?

I'd vote for Meta being too fast, since this is what allows the instant death of one bad RNG roll. If the meta were slower, this gives you more opportunity for a RNG in your favor to balance the luck. The High speed meta also severely limits the diversity options, since nothing survives except a faster OHKO.

From my perspective, the core problem is that Healing can be made so efficient/powerful that a Duelist must be capable of a OHKO to win. It's not possible to force an opponent to be slowly PiP starved, since they can heal themselves to full quickly with small pip spells - This was the curse of Jade armor turtles, though the mis-balance of damage (too low) to healing (too high) existed before the wild spiral of healing % and resist % we had for many years. Somehow, a balance needs to be struck between Damage dealing pip use, resistance/healing Pip use, and zero-pip shielding for pip growth. This balance has to be sustained at each of the dueling levels that are popular with clusters of Duelists.

Just like there's a power curve for damage spells, there needs to be Health/healing efficiency curve which is somewhat lower than the power curve in terms of pip efficiency.
      Last edited by ChoGath; 3-18-21 at 12:12:48 AM.

JoshyWoshy is offline Legendary Wizard

• JoshyWoshy's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Joshua ____ Flame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many, many.
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Rain Beetles

Mood:
      Sluggish

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

All are major issues but I'm conflicted on lack of diversity or lack of control. In this current meta maycasts are the #1 problem, but it's assumed it will be nerfed in the upcoming audit. Other things that could be lumped into lack of control is deck fails/pre-enchants. I know it won't be reverted but I still feel no pre-enchants in side deck is just asking for deck fails, not pulling correct cards, or overpulling for something and being punished for it.

Damage is still way too high but I think it's a a byproduct of gear. If you're looking for high damage, you should be sacrificing health/resist/accuracy and the opposite if you want to invest in a defensive setup. Having these jack of all trades gear with fire reaching over 140 damage while running a "defensive" setup is a problem.

As mentioned above, most schools run the same strategy. Seeing a death across from you and knowing they are just going to blade into a oneshot and the determining factor on the outcome is if you can pull cards like EQ in time or having the correct counter setup is stale. There's always going to be a dominant strategy but it shouldn't be the only one. Also, everyone runs basically the same gear: Every single ice has 70-76 resist running Krok hat Dragoon Robe/Boots, Athame and duelist ring. The "diversity" in builds come down to miniscule things like if you're running 22 damage on a pet or only 16, or running Dragoon robe vs running spooky. We need more gear diversity.
      Last edited by JoshyWoshy; 3-18-21 at 5:01:57 AM.

Rules Staff Friends Blog
      Game/Site questions? Message me!
      Signature by Amour

Jesse Strong is online now Prodigious

• Jesse Strong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jesse StrongGlen
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire beast

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JoshyWoshy View Post
      All are major issues but I'm conflicted on lack of diversity or lack of control. In this current meta maycasts are the #1 problem, but it's assumed it will be nerfed in the upcoming audit. Other things that could be lumped into lack of control is deck fails/pre-enchants. I know it won't be reverted but I still feel no pre-enchants in side deck is just asking for deck fails, not pulling correct cards, or overpulling for something and being punished for it.

Damage is still way too high but I think it's a a byproduct of gear. If you're looking for high damage, you should be sacrificing health/resist/accuracy and the opposite if you want to invest in a defensive setup. Having these jack of all trades gear with fire reaching over 140 damage while running a "defensive" setup is a problem.

As mentioned above, most schools run the same strategy. Seeing a death across from you and knowing they are just going to blade into a oneshot and the determining factor on the outcome is if you can pull cards like EQ in time or having the correct counter setup is stale. There's always going to be a dominant strategy but it shouldn't be the only one. Also, everyone runs basically the same gear: Every single ice has 70-76 resist running Krok hat Dragoon Robe/Boots, Athame and duelist ring. The "diversity" in builds come down to miniscule things like if you're running 22 damage on a pet or only 16, or running Dragoon robe vs running spooky. We need more gear diversity.
      I was tired of getting killed with that one ko or having myth king+yaga i decided to run legend shields and aegis. I was acussed of* setting up* because i protected myself like a death wiz can be very dangerous if they can play their cards right but every death those the same thing and if your deck dont fail its an easy win

ChoGath is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Strong View Post
      I was tired of getting killed with that one ko or having myth king+yaga i decided to run legend shields and aegis. I was acussed of* setting up* because i protected myself ...
      Thinking, planning, and setup "noob".

CelestialMoon is offline W101C Tournament Master

• CelestialMoon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Esmee Fire/Sky/Storm-Blossom, Legendblade, Willoweyes, Mythcaster, Shadow/Legend/Winter-Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  All different kinds

Mood:
      Cheeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ChoGath View Post
      There is a dimension of which dueling level are you talking about: L30-40, L50, L70-90, max? There's a dimension of what level of gear do you have: PvE random gear, best dropped from world/level, or best money can buy?
      Of course. This is why I spoke of my current arena experience as the survey suggests. All of our experiences will differ depending on all of those variables.