Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs down Re: Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      What's really amazing to me as a player turned KI employee is the amount of stuff he gets blamed for that he has little or nothing to do with. If player comments are to be believed not only is Ratbeard performing his current job as system design lead- he is also:
      • Marketing
      • Quality Assurance
      • Quality Control
      • Community Manager
      • Customer Service
      • Hiring Manager
      • Human Resources
      • Accountant
      • World and Level Designer
      • Writer
      You know, that list of roles Ratbeard takes on doesn't do him any favors.

Marketing:
      Need I elaborate? Predatory EA tactics are commonplace at KI nowadays, not to mention the severe lack of Classic Crown Sales.

Quality Assurance:
      This department at KingsIsle is sorely underfunded, seeing how updates have been consistently rushed through Test, bugs and all. Remember how buggy the Wizard City update was? All too often I hear stories of bugs being reported in Test Realm, only to be completely ignored. A recent example are the badge bugs!

Community Manager:
      Being generally rude to Players offering feedback isn't a great look for a CM, nor is valuing an idea from your 6 year-old son over the communities (Cough nepotism cough cough).

Customer Service:
      Isn't KingsIsle's largest chunk of customer service employees outsourced? Either way, their CS department can be quite obstinate at times from what I gather, though my personal experiences have been largely plesent.

Hiring Manager:
      They took on Vanessa and you, so no complaints here! Though I do ​have to wonder if he was for the hiring of Dave Rosen and Craig Beers.

Human Resources:
      The Glassdoor reviews of KingsIsle are suggestive of a poor work environment, which doesn't reflect well on Ratbeard.

Accountant:
      KingsIsle's yearly revenue is what, a bit over $300 million, and yet they still can't deign themselves to host some Crown sales and ease up on the weekly promotions?

World and Level Designer/Writer:
      Phenomenal job from KingsIsle on world design and story, especially in the latest two Arcs. Mirage and Empyrea are honestly some of their best designed worlds, and I have no doubt that they'll keep improving!

TL;DR:

Ratbeard has done a great job in world/story design and has the right ideals for PvP and stats. However, these accomplishments are vastly overshadowed by his abrasiveness towards Players, predatory marketing practices KingsIsle utilizes, ruining Pets, and introducing the horridly flawed PTW Spellements.
      In conclusion, it doesn't reflect well on Ratbeard, an influential employee, when KingsIsle continuously pumps out shoddy content and employs shady practices.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by SeptenaryRavens View Post
      Just from skimming through all of the recent posts on this thread, I can say I have a newfound respect for KI and its developers. Back in 2008 and 2009, I wouldn't doubt that 2020 and 2021 weren't on their minds at the time. Would they have been able to be more prepared for 12+ years into the future? Probably, but with how far technology has advanced in the last decade, all of the natural disasters that have plagued the midwest and Texas, etc, doing predictions that far into the future wouldn't be beneficial. Because of this, it would have been next to impossible to predict the outcome in the 2020's, let alone 2015. In 2008, how many people could accurately predict that we would have a worldwide pandemic in 2020-2021?

TL;DR - With all that's happened over the last 12+ years in the gaming community, let alone the world in general, it would have been impossible to predict the outcome. Don't single out developers and the team for making changes to the game that wouldn't have been able to be predicted back in 2008. Sustainability is the key word, and ("unfortunately" - in the words of some of the posters on this forum) all KI is trying to do is remain sustainable.
      Well that's an overly charitable perspective regarding KI's past behavior isn't it? Sure they may not have seen the longevity of the game back when the first arc + Grizzleheim was released, but with Celestia and the introduction of astral schools in 2010 they definitely were preparing the foundations for something more.

That was an entire decade ago. No matter someone's feelings about the more recent changes, the fact that KI was content laying bricks on crumbling walls for the entirety of the 2010s was one of the biggest reasons for Wizard101's downfall imho.

As @richardDkht eloquently put it:

But no, let's add damage and critical forever instead.
      Oh wait, now it's too much, let's make it block.
      Oh people complain, let's make the pierce.
      Oh, system is broken.
      Etc...

They knew. They knew there were problems. Why did it take the game being in a decaying state for us to see any semblance of actual change? This wasn't just a staggering lack of foresight but also an unwillingness to admit fault that spanned for years to their own detriment.

Depending your view, the present form of KI may be greatly improving the game or not. But let's not pretend as though the systems in place should not have been overhauled ages ago.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 3-27-21 at 7:58:25 PM.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

SeptenaryRavens is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
      Well that's an overly charitable perspective regarding KI's past behavior isn't it? Sure they may not have seen the longevity of the game back when the first arc + Grizzleheim was released, but with Celestia and the introduction of astral schools in 2010 they definitely were preparing the foundations for something more.

That was an entire decade ago. No matter someone's feelings about the more recent changes, the fact that KI was content laying bricks on crumbling walls for the entirety of the 2010s was one of the biggest reasons for Wizard101's downfall imho.

As @richardDkht eloquently put it:

They knew. They knew there were problems. Why did it take the game being in a decaying state for us to see any semblance of actual change? This wasn't just a staggering lack of foresight but also an unwillingness to admit fault that spanned for years to their own detriment.

Depending your view, the present form of KI may be greatly improving the game or not. But let's not pretend as though the systems in place should not have been overhauled ages ago.
      Oh a lot of KI's actions in the 2010s are indefensible. In hindsight, I don't think pierce should even have been created. On that note, if someone were to have 175% damage, and the enemy were to have 100% resist, then the person should be given a 75% damage boost on the enemy**. That's how I think the resist system should work. Capping stats at 100% isn't sustainable in this day and age, especially seeing fire wizards with 202% damage now. Back in 2008/09, I give them a lot of leeway for not being able to see 12+ years into the future. Heck, a pierce stat probably wasn't even on the drawing board in 2008. But you are correct, with the introduction of new stats, KI was setting themselves up for a downfall at some point. It sickens me that throughout the 2010s, they normalized the trend with these stats, even making a robe so powerful in 2014 that wizards in present day would still be and still are using it.

But with my realization earlier today, it's better late than never. Ratbeard and the newer devs on the Wizard101 side were given the issues created by previous devs, so it's up to us to support and criticize any changes they make. It was the old devs that normalized having overpowered gear and stats at level 60. Unless I'm just being naive and Ratbeard and Matt have been working on Wizard101 for more than a decade each.

**Damage for all schools would in turn need to be nerfed a bit since someone with 20% resist going against someone with 140% damage would be like fighting Old cob in mirage with no resist.

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: Unpopular Opinions

I think this is an amazing thing we are seeing happening before us!

When the OP started this thread, I seriously doubt they thought it would become something of this magnitude and insight. I congratulate them on making this happen.

A very old wound, which had scabbed over and festered for many years has been ripped open to be properly cleaned, aired out and hopefully healed. I know there will be a bad scar for a long time, but it is my deepest hope that this discussion will continue and more growth will happen.

Let's set aside the petty finger pointing and blame of the past, instead look and learn from the past and work together for something we all care deeply about; this game and it's successful future. No more hiding behind nasty tweets and all that.

@Ratbeard, @Sparck, I hope you will help to spread the word to the Dev team and KI its self that we want to work together, but for that to happen, our words and feelings MUST be heard and taken into proper consideration.

Maybe I am a dreamer and doomed optimist, but I still have hope.

Its funny, but someone once told me I live in a fantasy world. It almost made me fall off my unicorn.

I look forward to reading more and more on this thread.
      Last edited by Pegasus Unbound; 3-27-21 at 11:13:26 PM.
      "Yes, My Lord"

Eric Stormbringer is offline Wizard101 US Faculty

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post

Marketing:
      Need I elaborate? Predatory EA tactics are commonplace at KI nowadays, not to mention the severe lack of Classic Crown Sales.

Quality Assurance:
      This department at KingsIsle is sorely underfunded, seeing how updates have been consistently rushed through Test, bugs and all. Remember how buggy the Wizard City update was? All too often I hear stories of bugs being reported in Test Realm, only to be completely ignored. A recent example are the badge bugs!

Community Manager:
      Being generally rude to Players offering feedback isn't a great look for a CM, nor is valuing an idea from your 6 year-old son over the communities (Cough nepotism cough cough).

Customer Service:
      Isn't KingsIsle's largest chunk of customer service employees outsourced? Either way, their CS department can be quite obstinate at times from what I gather, though my personal experiences have been largely plesent.

Hiring Manager:
      They took on Vanessa and you, so no complaints here! Though I do ​have to wonder if he was for the hiring of Dave Rosen and Craig Beers.

Human Resources:
      The Glassdoor reviews of KingsIsle are suggestive of a poor work environment, which doesn't reflect well on Ratbeard.

Accountant:
      KingsIsle's yearly revenue is what, a bit over $300 million, and yet they still can't deign themselves to host some Crown sales and ease up on the weekly promotions?

Phenomenal job from KingsIsle on world design and story, especially in the latest two Arcs. Mirage and Empyrea are honestly some of their best designed worlds, and I have no doubt that they'll keep improving!

TL;DR:

Ratbeard has done a great job in world/story design and has the right ideals for PvP and stats. However, these accomplishments are vastly overshadowed by his abrasiveness towards Players, predatory marketing practices KingsIsle utilizes, ruining Pets, and introducing the horridly flawed PTW Spellements.
      In conclusion, it doesn't reflect well on Ratbeard, an influential employee, when KingsIsle continuously pumps out shoddy content and employs shady practices.

To be clear, the point of my prior post is that no one person is in charge of all of that. It takes a team to make an MMO especially one as expansive as Wizard101.
      Last edited by Eric Stormbringer; 3-28-21 at 12:41:31 AM.

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

Tanner Hex is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Tanner Hex's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tanner Hex
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Mellow

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Marketing:

Quality Assurance:

Community Manager:

Customer Service:

Hiring Manager:

Human Resources:

Accountant:

TL;DR:

I think the point being made there was that Ratbeard doesn't actually take on all those roles, but there are players who seem to think he does and therefore end up blaming him for things that are entirely out of his purview. For example it is The Curator/Blind Mew, not Ratbeard, who is the lead writer and story developer. Thus Ratbeard himself may not have much if any involvement in writing in the story because that's The Curator's department. Ratbeard may likewise not be responsible for any of KingsIsle's marketing practices because that also isn't his department.

I have no personal experience with game development, but I have some experience with how corporate culture can be. I have also heard stories about how some notoriously bad games flopped because the people who were ultimately on top calling all the shots and deadlines were businessmen who didn't even play games instead of the game's actual developers.

So despite being a "lead" developer Ratbeard may still have higher ups that he has to answer to. And it's possible that some of the things that have been implemented such as spellements being gated behind packs/SoF were not his decision and not something he has much say over. For all we know the developers and CM may not even be allowed to express their personal opinions regarding stuff like that. Of course this is just postulation on my part.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      To be clear, the point of my prior post is that no one person is in charge of all of that. It takes a team to make an MMO especially one as expansive as Wizard101.
      That is of course true, but it isn't a good look for any developer when KingsIsle releases buggy updates, and them spamming predatory promotions isn't good press for the marketing department. My point is that these continuous screwups paint a bad picture for KingsIsle- and seeing how Ratbeard has been at the center of several of these scandals with influence in others, it all culminates to paint a less than rosy picture of this rat.

It's how the Wells Fargo scam and Chipotle outbreak brought bad press and a bed rep- even though there are undoubtedly good people working at those companies, I still wouldn't trust my money with swindlers or my food to be handled by lax regulations! To break it down a bit, in this analogy KingsIsle is Wells Fargo and Ratbeard is one of the cooperate elite that were "in" on it. Breaking pet hatching isn't comparable to stealing millions of dollars of course, but you get the point.

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 3-28-21 at 2:58:47 PM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Sparck is online now Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Marketing:

Quality Assurance:

Community Manager:

Customer Service:

Hiring Manager:

Human Resources:

Accountant:

TL;DR:

Ratbeard doesn't do all these things. I'm the CM, so check that one off the list please (as well as every other item except for the last one). He doesn't handle any of these other areas, nor even talks about them usually.

Ratbeard is a lead designer that very much cares about the community's feedback, so he's deeply involved in discussing ideas and your feedback directly with you. He keeps focused on this area. That doesn't make him a CM, but it does make him an awesome developer to chat with that we're fortunate to have available to you.

For concerns regarding any developer and our content, please contact me directly and let me know what the concern is all about. If we need to do better at communicating with the community, I need to understand where we're not being clear or concise. Thanks for helping out here to keep me informed!
      Last edited by Sparck; 3-29-21 at 12:30:26 PM.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The Kiosk!

I have used it, but I still not a fan of it.

People charging for hatches!

Seriously, why would you "pay" other people for hatches using empowers, packs and other form of payments when you could have gotten hatches for free here on Central? Just Saying!

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      The Kiosk!

I have used it, but I still not a fan of it.

People charging for hatches!

Seriously, why would you "pay" other people for hatches using empowers, packs and other form of payments when you could have gotten hatches for free here on Central? Just Saying!
      Charging for hatches aside I think it's important to keep in mind that not everyone uses or knows about this site.
      Last edited by Flash33; 3-29-21 at 8:15:33 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast