•  Ornery Kookaburra

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Recruitment to Wizard101Central?

The game needs to figure out whom they are catering too. Sort of like the problem with downtown streets and roads today. Are you catering and building streets for vehicles or bicyclist/pedestrian?

This game claims to be aimed towards children; however, looking at the communication between the game designers and this forum, there are no children - that I can tell.

We yell and scream that Kings Isle doesn't listen; however, perhaps they shouldn't listen to us "adults", and pay more attention to what launched the game back in 2008 and made it a success. A group of guys designing a game for their children.

We pat ourselves on the back when we raise our concerns about the game from an adult perspective, and see KI catering to us. But, I believe we (adults) may not see that we're dismantling the game a piece at a time with this forum's demands, and whining. It was never out game - it always belonged to children. But look at it now.

The new ownership should re-write their mission and vision and ask themselves, what is their purpose now that they own Wizard101, and how they are going to accomplish that purpose.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Recruitment to Wizard101Central?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      This decade old site is in dire need of an updated UI, improved Staff/Player communication, and more community outreach.Updated UI:Gonna tag @Jester on this one. Any idea when we'll see this, if ever? From my experience, learning how to navigate this site was decidedly difficult. The banning of copy/pasting images has also proved to be incredibly deterring, but I suppose that's to be expected with a site straight from the 2000's...
      Communication:
      The only Staff I see active on a regular basis are Willow, Alura, and Caspeen. If Central wants to gain and retain new Members, it would be a good look if Jester posted more than once every blue moon and if Olivia (Who I haven't seen at all in my time here) got involved too. One example of this is the lack of a Stormrider Hare Raffle last year, and the absence of regular Central contests. IIRC, we never did receive a definitive answer from Jester as to why this was..
      Community Outreach:
      By this I mean teaming up with KingsIsle more often to host giveaways, reviving the dead Central YT channel, getting prominent Wiz celebrities involved, and relaxing the rules a bit. If Central is to survive, they need to adjust to the shifting meta and embrace it- not hold onto an outdated look and ways of thinking!
      Any word from @Jester on this, and on the future of Wizard101 Central? I mean, if he has the time to post about Wiz news in Poland and Greece, surely he can spare the time to answer our calls!

Maybe @Willowdreamer can elicit a response from this elusive site owner..?

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Any word from @Jester on this, and on the future of Wizard101 Central? I mean, if he has the time to post about Wiz news in Poland and Greece, surely he can spare the time to answer our calls!

Maybe @Willowdreamer can elicit a response from this elusive site owner..?

I'm not sure what you want me to say here. You've tagged Jester, so - when he has a chance to review all of the many mentions and PM's he receives, he may be able to answer this thread.

Real Life can get the better of us all from time to time, and the "to-do" list just gets longer and longer -- so we do something simple just to feel like we can check something off. Pardon me while I finish cleaning the freezer...

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      I'm not sure what you want me to say here. You've tagged Jester, so - when he has a chance to review all of the many mentions and PM's he receives, he may be able to answer this thread.
      Don't all mods have a direct phone line to Jester? I guess I've always thought that Mods can communicate more directly with jester, and that they can snag his attention much easier than us peasant folk can.

Lunar Knight is offline Transcendent Wizard

• Lunar Knight's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jason Pearlbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Kitty
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Storm Beetle

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

In the past, I would have definitely recommended this to my friends. However, I feel like activity on this forum has definitely slowed down and there's definitely been less engagement. It seems that compared to other platforms such as Twitter and others, they seem to have a better dynamic and quicker communication between communities. I do feel like Wizard101 Central is a product of its time and definitely needs a revamp if it wants to continue being a relevant site for the Wizard101 community.
      Last edited by Willowdreamer; 5-23-21 at 6:23:37 AM. Reason: asterisks

Sonorous is offline Magus Wizard

• Sonorous's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Elijah Watervault
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Sammy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Burning Dryad

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      Been wondering...

Does anybody here try to recruit their friends and family that actively play the game to Wizard101Central and make an account?

It's clear that this site is losing its valuable members faster than it is ushering new members and since I (like many others) don't want to see this site become barren and bleak, so I thought a strong recruitment campaign that will welcome a large amount of members into central could really help sustain the site longer.

Also it's quite known that the majority of people on this site are guests and not members...

Do you have any thoughts in how we should get those people to make an account as well?

P.S. This is just the first step, this isn't necessarily a thread about getting people with existing accounts in Wizard101 Central to start engaging in conversation or making any threads, this is primarily focusing on getting people to make accounts in the first place.
      Hi Dylan! It's been a while . I think part of the reason people have left the site is just that life is busy and many have stopped playing the game in general (myself included). However, when I was still active in game and on the site, I can remember recommending the site to others within the game. When I was a part of Pet Central, it was a great way for me to recruit new members as before the hatching kiosk, many needed help with hatching pets. I would have them create an account and from there they could pick a pet they desired from the various threads. I have not kept up with the game and its updates, but perhaps there's an activity in game that people can request help here for? If there is, running support teams here I think would be a fantastic way to recruit new members.

Credit to Expelliarmus for my signature and avatar

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Been a bit since there's been some activity on this post so figured it's time for me to weigh in.

First, to the OP....

Been wondering...
      Does anybody here try to recruit their friends and family that actively play the game to Wizard101Central and make an account?
      Friends and family - heck no, but only because I have no irl friends nor family that play this game. But if I did, absolutely I would because I'm of the generation where message boards and the such suit me just fine. Which is why, over the years, I've had no problem telling anyone and everyone how amazing this site is. Need a guide to a boss? CENTRAL! Need to find a pet to hatch? CENTRAL! Need help with a quest? CENTRAL! Wanna race against the best Derby racers in the game? CENTRAL! Seriously, if there was anything you needed to know, or anything you needed help with, or just really wanted to talk about the game, Central was the place to go to. Not only that, the community here is awesome! Sure there are some sour grapes, but almost everyone I've gotten to meet in game through Central have been great people and have helped me a ton over the years. Who wouldn't want that?

Anyway, I know of only 2 people for sure who did create an account, but if even half a percent of the people I've prosthelytized to ended up creating an account, there has to be...well, OK, a couple more.

Part 2 of the OP's questions is a bit more...loaded.

Do you have any thoughts in how we should get those people to make an account as well?
      I wish I did, but at the end of the day, things don't look promising.

The truth of the matter is that this site has a great deal of challenges to address.

1. First and foremost, the audience. As mentioned previously, I'm of the generation where "Snail Mail" was simply "mail" and email was holy cow AMAZING! Yea, I'm no spring chicken, and for that reason message boards and the layout of this site are very comfortable to me. But to someone a little less ancient - to the the kids and young adults used to information not a day, not an hour, and a few minutes old, but NOW, this site must seem like something that only "parents" would use. Again, such a shame because the information is here, the answers are here, the COMMUNITY is here, but it's just not in a format for the majority of the players want. Social media and servers where you can say whatever you want and get instant responses rule the day now and I just don't know how Central can compete.

2. In addition to struggling with the demographics, Central has lost the....support? confidence? respect?....of the KI Community team who has all but abandoned us. I don't know if they stopped caring about Central because membership here was on the decline, or if membership here was on the decline because of the soured relationship with KI, but there's no doubt that certain people didn't believe in the value of fansites and Central suffered more than most. Where we would get codes for all the stuff we wanted to do, suddenly we were getting far less to hand out and in some instances, none at all. From a business stand point I can understand why you would invest your money where the people are, where the views and clicks are, and clearly that has shifted tremendously over the last few years, but it would be great if KI acknowledged how much this site - especially the Wiki - and our community has helped their game. Fansites certainly need the game more than the game needs fansites, but there's a symbiotic relationship nonetheless and for a while there KI completely forgot about that.

3. Last but not least, there's the game itself. Some of the things that Central was great for got incorporated into the game (or IGNORED by the game) making the Central versions almost obsolete. Pet Mixing meet-ups - they give us the hatching Kiosk. In game quest help and Meet Ups? The give Team Up Kiosk. Arena Tournaments - they made in game Tournaments. Derby - they game us NOTHING!!!! Don't get me started....And I'm sure there are more examples.

I'm not saying that KI shouldn't do those things but it's just more reasons why this site just isn't as relevant as it used to be.

Again, what can be done? In reading some of the posts on this thread I hear competitions and contests, but I don't feel like that's the answer at all. Don't get me wrong, people LOVE free stuff, but I'm guessing that a lot of people might come for the stuff and then leave when they got what they wanted. As a point, Alienware recently gave away codes to get a unique mount - how many people who got the mount will use the Alienware site for anything? Again, contests and give aways are great, but unless the people who come for the to the site for the freebies then stay to contribute - create posts, or reply to threads - then they're just free stuff to a dwindling audience.

So what to do? I wish I knew, but as long as the game's around and as long as this site is still up, I'll be here.

Now, anyone wanna join a Derby Tournament? (sorry, I had to....)

Casp
      Last edited by Caspeen; 6-4-21 at 7:52:45 PM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Recruitment to Wizard101Central?

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      Again, what can be done? In reading some of the posts on this thread I hear competitions and contests, but I don't feel like that's the answer at all.
      Over the past month, I've been slowly becoming more and more active with the Ravenwood Academy fansite. The community there is thriving, and so it has led me to the idea that a collaboration between the two sites would be mutually beneficial. A contest where two step verification- posting here and at Ravenwood Academy- would encourage Players to explore both fansites, and would likely result in new Centralites!

The Central wiki is a true pillar of this game, so perhaps to incentivize membership advanced search options could be made available to Centralites. Though, I do stand by saying that Central needs a UI update before anything else. First impressions are lasting impressions, and as it stands Central doesn't look up to date...

Bit of a side note, but will we see a Stormrider Hare raffle this year @Jester?

Oxnhorse is offline Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries
      This decade old site is in dire need of an updated UI, improved Staff/Player communication, and more community outreach.

Updated UI:
      Gonna tag @Jester on this one. Any idea when we'll see this, if ever? From my experience, learning how to navigate this site was decidedly difficult. The banning of copy/pasting images has also proved to be incredibly deterring, but I suppose that's to be expected with a site straight from the 2000's...

Communication:
      The only Staff I see active on a regular basis are Willow, Alura, and Caspeen. If Central wants to gain and retain new Members, it would be a good look if Jester posted more than once every blue moon and if Olivia (Who I haven't seen at all in my time here) got involved too. One example of this is the lack of a Stormrider Hare Raffle last year, and the absence of regular Central contests. IIRC, we never did receive a definitive answer from Jester as to why this was..

Community Outreach:
      By this I mean teaming up with KingsIsle more often to host giveaways, reviving the dead Central YT channel, getting prominent Wiz celebrities involved, and relaxing the rules a bit. If Central is to survive, they need to adjust to the shifting meta and embrace it- not hold onto an outdated look and ways of thinking!

Honestly, with the part about recruiting family and friends being cut out of the original post it reads as if the staff of Central are out of ideas on how to make this website better than its original conception.

From time to time I end up having lags in here, but as for ideas, I'm not sure how this site can be improved.

And people like Sparck and Eric Stormbringer are the closest any of us have knowing people on the inside.

I have other things taking a higher priority than buying a new computer, and if the graphics update prevented me from accessing Central; I'd only have P101 open to me.

======

After having read Caspeen's latest post on this, I'd like to point out that compared to the W101 website; if you need in depth detailed information on the game, its found in Central.

W101 is an excellent website, but unless a membership is active, you are disqualified from posting; unlike here.

Regarding older versus younger, this will always be an issue. Patience is a virtue that the younger generations seem to lack beyond a quick click.

Such things as contests, trading cards and reagents as well as seeking help of professional players are exclusively all elements of Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Strong View Post
      Wait a min, you're the most welcome person here dont let a hater tell you otherwise we know how sweet and amazing you're so ignored that person
      Stay safe my friend
      I have to agree with Jesse here @Bailey Jade is an excellent and helpful person. If you remember sometime last year I wanted to try to put 2nd generation stats on a first generation pet and after a few tries, gave up on the idea and although you tried telling me, you let me see that failure in the pursuit.

She and Rayzer are the only people I remember hatching with in the game since I started in June 2009.

Oxnhorse
      Last edited by Willowdreamer; 6-5-21 at 6:43:15 AM. Reason: double posted

Michael DeathFlame is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Michael DeathFlame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Michael DeathFlame and Michael IceFlame, Level 17
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex and Lord Shadow, Lord Shadow being a Wraith and Rex being a Dragon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragon

Mood:
      Happy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Just to jump off what some have already said here, I think the issue is one part fixable and one part, well, not so fixable. The unfixable issues are just the passage of time and the format of the website as a forum. Central used to be a pretty popping place; it had the old community transfer over from the Toon Town forum, and then W101 also blew up in popularity, resulting in a lot of newcomers to the website. During the "glory days" of Central, I would guess that most of the users were actually W101's age demographic, AKA late elementary school/middle school/early high school. For many of us, Central was our first forum experience, and you can really tell, because people were excited about participating in it. There was a very strong, robust community here for a few years. But inevitably, people move on from the game, and then eventually from the forums as well, and so new members need to be taken in to make new communities. Which runs into the second unfixable issue: the forum system is completely outdated. If you want to pull new players in, you're not going to attract them with this format. As an adult with younger siblings, I can guarantee you my teenage brother would never think of joining a forum like this, but would instead turn to other major platforms like [REDACTED]. By the nature of Central, it has no meaningful way of replacing the community that is inevitably lost as time passes. I consider that "unfixable" because, at this point, I really don't see Central changing from a forum to something completely different. Inertia is a powerful force.

What I do think is fixable, though, is learning how to best suit the community Central still has. Since I've been removed from it now for a while now, I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly how to do that. But I think a good start would be to reassess what age demographic your community is, and to potentially tweak policies to better suit that demographic. When your community was largely 10-13 year olds, banning the names of social media websites or other popular forums makes sense. But if your community is now in their late teens or early twenties, what was once good practice would now come across as paternalizing.

Just some two cents from someone who felt a bit nostalgic today, I guess. Good to see a few familiar faces here
      Read The Virus Book 3 The Scroll of Death,the first series to get 100,000 views!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123