----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: People being randomly banned for being in an "embargoed country?"

If you have any concerns about your specific account, please do contact support and we'll be sure to help out if we can.

Please note that if the account ever had any access in those countries, or the billing information was such that it came from those countries, even putting in temp/fake/random information for whatever reason that links to those countries, or using an associated VPN/etc., past or present, the account has to be terminated. It can be lifted if the embargo ends up being lifted though.
      Last edited by Sparck; 2-4-21 at 5:08:24 PM.

potatoknishes is offline Novice Wizard

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Sparck View Post
      If you have any concerns about your specific account, please do contact support and we'll be sure to help out if we can.

Please note that if the account ever had any access in those countries, or the billing information was such that it came from those countries, even putting in temp/fake/random information for whatever reason that links to those countries, or using an associated VPN/etc., past or present, the account has to be terminated. It can be lifted if the embargo ends up being lifted though.
      Thank you so much for adding more clarification. I'll try to email support again, since my reply feature doesn't work well on gmail. I don't want to seem like I'm spamming the inbox, so I feel a bit hesitant, but I'll keep trying to contact support to hopefully get my ban lifted.

Legendary Rose is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Is there a specific embargo in South Africa that hits this? Number of folks on other social media have gotten banned, and I can't find any embargoes that hit that country.
      Mark DeathMask/Rachel "Midori" StormSword//Elijah RedThistle//Gracie DarkSlinger//Andrew SpiritStrider//Alexis GhostForge//Hannah BattleThief
      They/them. Always knew I was, never had the words for it.

Grumpy Cat is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Rose View Post
      Is there a specific embargo in South Africa that hits this? Number of folks on other social media have gotten banned, and I can't find any embargoes that hit that country.
      Doesn't exactly answer your question, but also consider trade/comms restrictions can also be coming from the opposite direction (South Africa imposed on the US vs the other way around). Countries historically haven't had the best relationship even after that 60's era divestment started and stopped. Wouldn't be surprised if SA had something on the US.

Legendary Rose is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Cat View Post
      Doesn't exactly answer your question, but also consider trade/comms restrictions can also be coming from the opposite direction (South Africa imposed on the US vs the other way around). Countries historically haven't had the best relationship even after that 60's era divestment started and stopped. Wouldn't be surprised if SA had something on the US.

On the red site with the little robot, where it seems KingsIsle daren't tread (the Wizard101 sub isn't official, just fan-made and run), an OP made a post about how they were banned abruptly with no appeal opportunity. They live in South Africa, and apparently Customer Service cited the embargo rule. Posted the same quote in this thread from earlier.

I don't know when their terms of use was updated, but I assume it was like that since they've established. That being said, I was playing for 11 onto 12 years, and was hassle free. I've read through that, in the email they replied when I had sent to ask for a ban reason, they fully quoted that from their terms of use. And yes, I have checked so many sites, but none of which states anything regarding South Africa to embargo any software, information etc.. To date, I am still looking
      Said they should ask the same question I did- about the particular embargo that affects them. They responded...

Yeah, I emailed support to send specifics, I am still waiting on a reply. I didn't use a vpn, whenever I play wizard I check my connections. I don't even have vpn software (I was banned less than a day after I did my quizzes and in those quizzes I got a error 502, which is a gateway error, I am not saying it's related or anything, but just as a measure of what it could be). But yeah, even so, where are the warnings or emails which they are supposed to send regarding your ban. And let's say I was banned for using a vpn, why did I get no notice of the ban. Like man, closure is ultimately all I want
      That was around 3-4 days ago. They've gotten no reply yet.

EDIT: I did a derp, and realized I totally misread your response. lol

Still, even if it's SA-imposed and not US, if KingsIsle or the new owners were made aware of it, they would be able to cite it I assume.
      Last edited by Legendary Rose; 2-5-21 at 2:56:34 AM. Reason: I did a derp
      Mark DeathMask/Rachel "Midori" StormSword//Elijah RedThistle//Gracie DarkSlinger//Andrew SpiritStrider//Alexis GhostForge//Hannah BattleThief
      They/them. Always knew I was, never had the words for it.

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I should've posted this sooner, but I was rather busy.

A day after I emailed support again, they responded, which was great to hear how quickly they assisted me. However, they linked me to the wizard101 forum post Sparck made, even though I stated that I already read it and explained how it shouldn't affect players such as myself.

Thankfully, they did cancel the membership on my family account, which was a big relief since I was worried I was gonna have to pay for an account I couldn't use. Sadly, my account and many others' accounts are still banned from this. Perhaps it'll get lifted by itself someday, since it seems like support can't really assist any further. All it seems like we can do is wait it out, which I'm willing to do. I myself am not a patient person, but I'll try my best to be one for this.
      Last edited by potatoknishes; 2-9-21 at 9:48:51 PM.

AstralFrost is offline Apprentice Wizard

• AstralFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew Redstaff, Rogan Owlfist, Karic Sprite
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Doodle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Armored Skeleton

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by potatoknishes View Post
      I should've posted this sooner, but I was rather busy.

A day after I emailed support again, they responded, which was great to hear how quickly they assisted me. However, they linked me to the wizard101 forum post Sparck made, even though I stated that I already read it and explained how it shouldn't affect players such as myself.

Thankfully, they did cancel the membership on my family account, which was a big relief since I was worried I was gonna have to pay for an account I couldn't use. Sadly, my account and many others' accounts are still banned from this. Perhaps it'll get lifted by itself someday, since it seems like support can't really assist any further. All it seems like we can do is wait it out, which I'm willing to do. I myself am not a patient person, but I'll try my best to be one for this.
      Very sorry to hear that... Unfortunately for these kinds of legal issues, KI has to treat it as black and white. Whether a player used a VPN, a mistake occurred, or they actually tried logging in from one of these countries, will end up being banned inevitably. Its sounds to me like you were the victim of an unfortunate glitch in their system with your location or something.

If you decide to make a new account, you should contact support and have them check the new account to make sure it is not on the bad list.

And of course, let us know here on central if you would like any assistance with questing back up to max!

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFrost View Post
      Very sorry to hear that... Unfortunately for these kinds of legal issues, KI has to treat it as black and white. Whether a player used a VPN, a mistake occurred, or they actually tried logging in from one of these countries, will end up being banned inevitably. Its sounds to me like you were the victim of an unfortunate glitch in their system with your location or something.

If you decide to make a new account, you should contact support and have them check the new account to make sure it is not on the bad list.

And of course, let us know here on central if you would like any assistance with questing back up to max!
      Thanks so much for your response. My family's accounts have all been fine excluding mine, so it does seem to be a glitch with just my account. Hopefully this means that my new account will be alright until my main possibly becomes ubanned.
      -- I make a lot of typos. My fingers simply cannot keep up with my mind. Please excuse the edits. --

hashem11 is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

We've had to ban accounts that were from this restricted countries to comply with international rules and regulations. If anyone has a concern regarding their account, please do contact support.
      is germany one of the banned countrys? cuz i live there and i got banned the same way and i did send a ticket like 20 times and they gave me the same answer every time iv been playing the game for 11+ years wasted so much money on it and its my childhood game me and my young brother play on the same account and he is crying everyday to get his stuff back please unban me
      Last edited by hashem11; 5-30-21 at 12:21:50 AM.

JaredSpellFrost is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unhappy Re: People being randomly banned for being in an "embargoed country?"

@hashem11

I'm sorry to hear that you and your brother's accounts were both banned! Believe me when I say that I am well acquainted with that feeling. Here is what I dug up on potential reasons why your accounts were banned. After a quick Google search, I found out that Germany has essentially banned minors from purchasing loot boxes:

The German parliament has passed a new youth protection law which restricts minors from purchasing video games that contain loot boxes. German parliament has passed a new youth protection law, which could ban the sale of games with loot boxes to minors.

The ban is a part of the Youth Protection Act, which seeks to defend minors from being incentivized to make purchases or perform gambling-like acts in video games. While loot boxes are not being banned outright, games that contain loot boxes will now be classified with a higher age rating in Germany.

That article was published on March 6th, and said that the law would likely go into effect in the Spring. It seems to me that rather than adapt to these changing times, KingsIsle has simply prevented Players from accessing their games riddled with loot boxes in these embargoed countries. Granted, they may have not had much time to react to this law, but this thread is a couple months old...

Customer Support won't be able to unban your accounts since this is a legal matter, and I doubt that a company as avaricious as KingsIsle would consider offering a refund. If you want my advice, don't attempt to log into your accounts in an embargoed country again, and seek out superior games. I personally recommend giving Minecraft, Skyrim, Fallout, and Shadow of War a try!

@Sparck, can you confirm whether the amendments to the Youth Protection Act in Germany are the reason why this Player's accounts were banned? Thanks!

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 5-31-21 at 6:33:29 PM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast