Mood:
      Cynical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Status of PvP

Hi everyone,

It only took me ten months of quarantine to reconsider playing Wizard101. I was wondering what the status of PvP is today. I mainly did Magus and Legendary PvP in the 1st and 2nd Age, but participated a bit in 3rd Age as well. I think I retired shortly after jewels were released.

I tried the new turn-by-turn PvP a couple of years ago and didn't like it all that much. I also found the match system to be impossible as my Magus' would be matched with Grandmasters and low-level Legendary's and my Legendary's would typically be matched against Promethan through Mirage.

I would appreciate any and all insight into the current state of 4th Age PvP and the release of 5th Age.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Conjurer Laura; 1-24-21 at 2:59:07 PM.

SubZero is offline Initiate Wizard

• SubZero's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Isaac SpiritHeart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Strange Beast

Mood:
      Cool

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Status of PvP

Good luck, I also tried coming back to PvP a few months ago around the same levels that you tried and to no avail. Central's not as visited as it once was and the competitive scene (from my experience) is almost non existent in the current environment the game is in.

ChoGath is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Conjurer Laura View Post
      Hi everyone,

It only took me ten months of quarantine to reconsider playing Wizard101. I was wondering what the status of PvP is today. I mainly did Magus and Legendary PvP in the 1st and 2nd Age, but participated a bit in 3rd Age as well. I think I retired shortly after jewels were released.

I tried the new turn-by-turn PvP a couple of years ago and didn't like it all that much. I also found the match system to be impossible as my Magus' would be matched with Grandmasters and low-level Legendary's and my Legendary's would typically be matched against Promethan through Mirage.

I would appreciate any and all insight into the current state of 4th Age PvP and the release of 5th Age.

Thanks.
      If you are competitively geared at a particular level, then stay at that level for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoGath View Post
      Yep, this is my experience too. I brought my L50 Storm back to life back in June, pushed him up in 1v1 to 1400, then moved up to L70 just before the latest PvP update. Truly new wizards to PvP stand little chance at either level, since the large majority of people I encounter are old-timers that either never left or are coming back to see what's going on. The recent changes nerfed the damage folks can generate, but have left the healing schools mostly alone. New wizards are still doomed without any experience or reasonably competitive gear.

If you move into a new power level, you will struggle against the only remaining matchups at that new level - perfectly geared overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoGath View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by mmailliw View Post
      EPILOGUE: I did make my way to 600 about a week after that last post. Solar Surge is an awesome addition to my PvP arsenal (especially when added to the extra boost for Frostbite and Colossus that Karamelle already gave us: it makes Frostbite do 825 total damage as 205+620 and Colossus does a whopping 815-895)... but the matchups are even worse than they were at lower rank!

It seems that half of my (level 69) matches are against Promethean opponents, many of whom have full Hades gear. While I have a fair shot against a Level 90 opponent with random gear and no strategy, there's no real way at Legendary to take down an opponent with more damage than my top level Diviner and enough pierce to get rid of all my resist, especially when their own health and resist makes "race to OHKO" a losing battle for me.

But a surprising number of matches are against opponents below Level 50 with no Critical stats - and such an opponent would have even less of a chance against me than I would against a Level 99 with Hades gear. And that's when I get matches at all... there aren't exactly tons of opponents in the Arena who are Level 60-79 with rank between 550 and 699...

in any event, though, my rank has stayed consistently between 580 and 628 since mid-to-late January! (until I went 1-6 last night, and I'll just say it's not fun to go up against a Life Warlord whose strategy is "build up max blades and traps while keeping Sanctuary, Fortify, and shields up... Empower or Sacrifice away weaknesses, Shatter your shields, and do five digits of damage even through the Tower you dug for right after the Shatter!")
      Honestly, rank has just become another high stone wall that blocks new duelists from being competitive by blocking solar surge, the duelist ring, and the duelist athame (knife).

The grind for competitive gear is boring, repetitive, no fun.

The limited number of viable strategies in the mid level ranges is boring, repetitive, no fun.

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I did magus and grand/legendary PvP "back in the day" as well. Nowadays, only legend really exists. You'll find that the meta-game is also incredibly offensive. Many people also have perfect gear. If you don't already have perfect gear, try out tournaments for getting fast tickets.

Turn-based is jarring for many old players, but trust me it's so much better for fairness sake. You'll find that there's a competitive strategy to discarding on your off-turn, making PvP seem even more fast paced.

mmailliw is offline W101C Tournament Master

• mmailliw's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  William PearlMender
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

But there are way more Grandmasters than Legendaries in the current arena, right? I'm stubbornly keeping my Ice at level 69 for now, but 50 seems to be a much more popular level than anything in the 60s!

And the offensive meta-game is... well... people are much better at pulling off OHKOs than they ever used to be! (There's a lot of people trying to stack blades like crazy: school, elemental/spirit, TC, and jewel... to buff 8-10 pip spells which are usually either multi-hit/DOT or paired with other ways to get around shields... and did I mention the ridiculous amount of damage people are carrying at Grand/Legendary now, with many above 100?)
      Quote Originally Posted by Patrick FairyStalker View Post
      I did magus and grand/legendary PvP "back in the day" as well. Nowadays, only legend really exists. You'll find that the meta-game is also incredibly offensive. Many people also have perfect gear. If you don't already have perfect gear, try out tournaments for getting fast tickets.

Turn-based is jarring for many old players, but trust me it's so much better for fairness sake. You'll find that there's a competitive strategy to discarding on your off-turn, making PvP seem even more fast paced.
      Last edited by mmailliw; 3-13-21 at 6:26:13 PM.

KieranCaster is offline Magus Wizard

• KieranCaster's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  KieranCaster
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Constable Millie - The Critical Pet!
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ornery Kookaburra

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Conjurer Laura View Post
      Hi everyone,

Thanks.

It all depends on your approach.

I no longer have the life and death PVP attitude. I just have fun.

Here is my approach.

1. I love to watch Max level PVP. Good strategy usually and when two (2) good players battle, it's cool to see their plans develop.
      2. I've been doing MAGUS on my Storm. I love that because all I do it hit with low pip spells and shield. My gear and pet makes for good damage and accuracy, and at some point, everyone runs out of shields. It's feast or famine with Storm at this level, and so far it's been fun feasting.
      3. I would love to see 2v2 come back. I have a Grandmaster Death and Fire, and so far, no takers. I don't have the time to sit and wait for a match.

KC