•  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Monthly Wiz-Related Spending

I buy the odd monthly sub once a year or so when I feel the drive to comeback, I really do miss the game but the $10.00 a month continuously isn't justified for how little I'd play at the moment, Polaris is too hard

I'd argguably say I used to pay just for the 1 sub yearly discount and the odd $5-10 mount every few months at most.

Edward sky/Life/102/
      And may the odds be ever in your favour.

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I have spent approximately $120 of my own money on this game and do not plan to spend any more anytime soon. If KI lurkers want to milk people like me (I'm sure that title alerted some algorithm in a database somewhere), I will explain myself:

1. Games rarely hold me for long.

The longest time that I have consistently played a game was Dota 2 from 2012-2015. My usual video game experience goes like this: I play one game for a couple months at most before getting bored. Then I sort through the list of past games that I have put time and/or money into and see if any pique my interest. If not, I search for something new to satisfy my tastes and add it to my library.

Even when I was a child Wizard101 could not keep me hooked for more that a few months at a time. The game's substance—especially in this day and age—is just not enough to keep me interested.

2. I tend towards the miserly.

"Pretty pretty, shiny shiny" items do not appeal to me in and of themselves. All these updates advertising new crowns events and month membership sales do absolutely nothing for me. In some ways, they even turn me off.

As I stated, I have spent about $120 on this game. While that sum may seem small, it is the most I have ever put into one game by far. I did it so I could buy areas, so that I could relive and build upon the nostalgia of growing up not for the newest hats. In fact this past Karamelle update was the first time in years where I considered buying crowns again.

3. A good gameplay loop makes me return.

As I said, I tend to move between games fairly frequently. Yet a rock solid gameplay loop (AKA a good game) is—funnily enough—a great motivator to pick games up again. I think most would probably concede that Wizard101's combat isn't all that amazing. Now, there is an argument to be made that most MMO's inherently have lackluster combat, but Wizard101 really embraces this principle to horrible effect.

Story and character development start to become more prominent later on, but to get to that point I have to slog through 2 months of repetitive playtime and 50 paywalled areas and, oh look, those were the previous two bullet points.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 1-19-21 at 1:21:06 AM.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

Grumpy Cat is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It seems there are pretty much 3 categories of people here:

*Never spent much more than the minimum of a subscription and maybe crowns here and there.
      *Used to spend, don’t anymore due to issues with updates/management/just bored.
      *Spending consistently, variable levels depending on updates and feelings about company.
      Doesn’t seem to be a big correlation between which category people are reporting and their consistency of playtime which is interesting.

@TIMMEH @Spellbinder @Bailey Jade @JaredSpellFrost @SunStone @lethargy101
      You guys all were in the third category and alluded to seriously decreasing spending due to direction of company/mgmt choices. Has this factor also affected the number of accounts you play on (going from 4 to 1-2 for example), or is decreased spending more across the board and more in extras? Would a specific kind of content (minor overall additions/fixes, more frequent worlds, less packs, etc) be particularly appealing moving forward?
      @ValdusWildheart
      How does the slight increase of difficulty/annoying factor in cancelling make you feel as a consumer? Do you think this is a Netflix/Amazon Prime sort of play where KI hopes to make players forget/not care enough/etc. to cancel to drag out a few more months of subs?
      Last edited by Grumpy Cat; 1-18-21 at 11:51:10 PM.

Spellbinder is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I went from 12 active accounts with 34 maxes and always noobs in progress spread across them to 7 wizards and 7 accounts (one wizard per account all areas already owned on all but one with a member)

At this point, I don't know that I will ever go back to my old spending habits. Without crown sales, everything costs more, there are less sales, and such, not to mention the game is not as fun as it used to be.
      The devs imo have gone full on control freak and I am not into being forced to play very specific way.

I liked gifting people in the commons after a 50% more crown sale and during pack sales. Wanna know how many packs I could toss then vs how many packs that same $80 will buy now?

To get me back to where I was? Seriously, not sure they can without firing a rodent and a bird at this point and scrapping their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Cat View Post
      [FONT=&amp]@TIMMEH @Spellbinder @Bailey Jade @JaredSpellFrost @SunStone @lethargy101
      You guys all were in the third category and alluded to seriously decreasing spending due to direction of company/mgmt choices. Has this factor also affected the number of accounts you play on (going from 4 to 1-2 for example), or is decreased spending more across the board and more in extras? Would a specific kind of content (minor overall additions/fixes, more frequent worlds, less packs, etc) be particularly appealing moving forward?
      Omg
      I think I love you more than paper tick
      -Katz to fishy cracker

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Monthly Wiz-Related Spending

Unlike pro-boxing Players like @Bailey Jade, I never got into playing on multiple accounts. Heck, I've never even considered buying anything on an account besides my main!

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I now only spend Crowns during a super Crowns reward event. I like to maximize my profits, and I can't resist getting my hands on those exclusive elixirs! If KingsIsle brought back a classic sale, a super reward event, and their sense of morality I might consider buying Crowns if I actually needed any (I don't).

More worlds would be incentivizing, as I only drop my hard earned Crowns on areas. A reduction in the number of weekly predatory promotions would also help sway my wallet! But, if I'm being honest- I don't see myself dropping a penny on this game ever again. I have enough Crowns to purchase Karamelle and Catacombs, and even if I didn't.. Wizard101 just isn't very engaging (The speed of combat is too dang slow!) anymore, especially considering the fact that I own Skyrim and Shadow of War.
      The absurd amounts of solid cash Players are still dropping on this game is quite baffling to me, truth be told!

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      “. . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.”

lethargy101 is offline Fizzled

Mood:
      Fine

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

*Never spent much more than the minimum of a subscription and maybe crowns here and there.
      *Spending consistently, variable levels depending on updates and feelings about company.
      Doesn’t seem to be a big correlation between which category people are reporting and their consistency of playtime which is interesting.

@ValdusWildheart
      How does the slight increase of difficulty/annoying factor in cancelling make you feel as a consumer? Do you think this is a Netflix/Amazon Prime sort of play where KI hopes to make players forget/not care enough/etc. to cancel to drag out a few more months of subs?
      Given the uncertainty of what old ratbeard is going to mess up next I can't see myself buy crowns anytime soon. If he wants to make changes to make PVP beter/fairer, that's fair enough. He just needs to stop making unnecessary changes to PVE. He said on KI live it doesn't matter how powerful we become in PVE, so all the changes are for PVP. He's talked about messing up resist from a % purely so we have to farm for better gear, that in reality isn't going to be better than we have today, just nerfing our hard earned gear. That man makes me so angry and his sheer arrogance to think he knows what will make the game better, when the actual players tell him NO. The man doesn't play the game, nor listen.

His idea to make us not fizzle proof without a negative accuracy buff, is frankly insulting. Before Darkmoor gear and Jewel I proudly made my wizard 100% accuracy. Now this Johnny come lately wants to change something(another something) possible before he was even recruited by KI the blessed nerve of the man.

Spellements: it's quite a good idea for packs so you can get the spell for the correct wiz. However in game is daft. If you want to make Loremaster less grindy raise the freaking odds of a spell drop, simple. Headless Horseman and Reindeer Knight had much better odds and people got the spells. Now changing to spellments it took my friend so much, much, much longer getting spellments for Reindeer Knight and my time helping her out. So that's a crok of do do, usual lies from heir Ratbeard.

Fishing: I initially put it down to glitches in Khrysalis but I can see it's incompetence. Charm fish SHOULD bring the fish to you not turn before they are even in reach. Also why put fish in a darkened area so you can even see the fish without messing with brightness etc on your TV/monitor? Fishing could have been put in the sea on Crescent Beach for example, would have made more sense. Additionally having all the fish rank 3 and lots of the same school, took the fun out of it and made it a terrible grind. I was planning to eventually have all my wizards catch every fish in game(I was upto 4)but he's sucked the joy out of that too.

He doesn't understand Wizard101 and as Jared said wants to change it beyond recognition, he's a menace to the game. Pack him back to Pirate 101 where he was appreciated by those who play it and create new content there, away from Wiz.
      Last edited by lethargy101; 1-19-21 at 8:10:09 AM.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Unlike pro-boxing Players like @Bailey Jade, I never got into playing on multiple accounts. Heck, I've never even considered buying anything on an account besides my main!
      Same I only pay for one single account and can't even imagine dual boxing (I've never done it). I think my ancient laptop would explode running Wizard101 twice, its already slow enough running Central and the game at the same time

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

SunStone is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I've only ever had one account, and still haven't maxed out a single wizard despite playing this game since launch

If I'm being honest my interest in the game plummets after the first arc. I've always thought that W101 would benefit from a Vanilla server. 1st arc only, no jewels, no fishing, no pets (at least no stats). If one server was to revert back to the first mount update I'd be more interested in "maxing" out my wizards.

I only ever spend my crowns on areas though, so a vanilla server would probably end up costing them money

Yuna is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Yuna's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Destruction Incarnate
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Luci
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Demon

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

i always have a membership running, though i only buy the yearly one at $59.95. it comes down to only $5 a month, cheap enough. as for crowns purchases, it all comes down to ki and sales. i only buy crowns when there is the $60 for 60k/$80 for 80k deal. typically buy $240 worth of crowns whenever one of those sales comes around. hard to say how often since there is no set schedule when it goes on sale. i'll occasionally buy bundles as well. would buy kroger jewels if they were offered on the ki website or something. too much hassle to coordinate and buy off of another person. i shouldn't have to go out of my way to spend.

"Peace is but a shadow of death; desperate to forget its painful past. Though we hope for promising years,
      after shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears."

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

@ValdusWildheart
      For myself, I am still triple boxing sometimes quad boxing, when time is allowed.

My "extra" spending was mostly buying crowns and gift cards, but as mention before, I have slowed this way down. I am annoyed that certain things are still not fixed. Example: Pets in the Kiosk. There are about 5 of them that are offered, but you can not get the right body types back. This has been going on since Fellhound first came out. Why in the world have a pet in the kiosk where you can not get that body type back. How hard is it to either A. All these pets to be hatched correctly or B. Take them out of the KIOSK system, non kiosk pet. To have something that is offered in there for body type and not get it, its annoying.....specially the cost of trying to get the pet.

This is only one example, which is my personal pet peeve....no pun intended.

The non stop grinding for certain reagents, the nerfing of things, the events, the list can go on. Which, I will not get into it too much. All this adds up for me in not wanting to play as much as I used too hence the extra spending.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast