----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Observations from the Trenches: Late 4th Age Ranked PvP

After the latest update, I decided to go back to the Arena for some ranked PvP: fourth age had been awful to my characters and I wanted to see what had changed for myself. In particular, my Level 69 Thaumaturge, Victoria StormBane (who had been a warlord in each of the first three ages) had played 201 matches and won 92 of them - only good for a rank of 228.

Having opted out of the gearing arms race the moment Jewel Socketing was introduced, I no longer really had the time or energy to perfect my characters like I used to... or even make a new set of treasure cards before each match. Meanwhile, as people dropped out of the arena more and more, there really seemed to be several different types of players grouped by rank: players around 500 were nearly universally brand-new players who had not accumulated many matches (and would very quickly leave that bracket in one direction). Most players would end up losing matches quickly until they either reached 0 rank, got sick of losing, or both. But quite a few players with the right setup and skills beforehand went the other direction, getting to a pretty high rank. (My mix of experience and not having energy for grind had allowed me to maintain rank in the low 200s... winning more than 45% but less than 50% of my matches overall.)

Coming into the new age, I was no longer at a disadvantage by not making new cards each match (since Enchanted Treasure Cards are no longer part of PvP). But five of my most important Training Points... the ones that bought me Colossal... were now completely useless in the Arena. I did have a remaining Training Point left for Solar Strike, but... my rank was way too low. How quickly would that change - especially with nearly empty PvP queues giving me awful matches? Only one way to find out!

My first three matches were all fairly straightforward wins:
      -against a Transcended Diviner who was doing solid damage on me until she saw a Volcanic Shield and Insane Bolted herself
      -against a Legendary Sorcerer (level 61-62) with a high damage/critical, very low resist build who was ultimately taken down by a Critical Snow Angel for 700+ a tick (on the Sorcerer's turn, the Diego needle moved from "favoring me" to "even" even as the Angel's tick was more than the Sorcerer's remaining health)
      -against another Legendary Sorcerer with rank around 500 (something like 16-16 record) with a bit more resist, but finally went down fairly easily

But it was getting harder and harder to find matches, even at peak times like Saturday afternoons. I did, however, get four matches yesterday:
      -a Level 87 Necromancer who was 1-9 going into the match: her strategy involved lots of bladed Critical Skeletal Dragons but, ultimately, her lack of resist did her in - though it was close!
      -a skilled Level 61-62 Thaumaturge with an Ultra Pet and what had to be at least 70% resist to Ice (though he did put a Balefrost bubble up) who had one or two more wins than losses at that time... it was very hard to pierce the resist, especially since he had plenty of 20% Fortifies in Side Deck for whenever I had Infallible. Nevertheless, I was holding my own, even had the Diego needle in my favor... until I thought he was saving pips for a Woolly Mammoth and instead used a 5 pip Frost Demon, one turn before I thought he'd attack, to finish me off.
      -a LEVEL TEN wizard (I think Ice?) with maybe two more wins than losses... I was easily able to shrug off his 400 damage Arcticzilla; since my opponent had no Critical Block, it only took one unbuffed hit to finish him off.
      -and, the Thaumaturge from two matches ago: we were both better prepared for each other, I think. No Balefrost bubble appeared this time, and I knew that I needed to prevent him from getting open, bladed hits as best as I could. So he couldn't finish me off, but his resist and Fortify meant I couldn't finish him off either. 22.5 minutes passed and the Diego needle pointed my way. At one point my health was in the low 100s, but a few heals brought me to much safer footing, and the needle continued to point in my direction throughout. 30 minutes became 35 became 40 became 45 with both of us nowhere near death's door... and Diego pointed in my direction to end the match!

This brought my record to 98-110 and my rank to 308, but... seeing what it takes to reach even 500 rank while PvPing at Legendary (and watching a match of 600-ish rank Legendary duelists) makes me think "okay, this system is still broken".

Realistically, I think the big problem with KI's ranking system is that as most casual players left the arena, the skill of the average player remaining has improved dramatically. With a ranking system that places a new player at 'average', we now have something where experienced players consistently winning 40 or 45 percent of their matches have lower 'rank' than brand new players with almost no PvP experience. Rank in the 400-500 range can just as easily mean 'only played 3 matches in my life and lost all of them' as 'can consistently hold my own with the skilled players remaining in the arena'.

Of course, the rank system gets worse when the people who are 'left behind' stop PvPing as the 'average' skill of people remaining therefore goes up. This is because the system requires a number of truly below-average players to keep ranking properly calibrated! (If the new PvP system for Fifth Age really does mean you can't lose rank... hopefully this problem - where experienced players 'look' worse than true beginners - goes away!)

UPDATE: Since this initial post I paid the Crowns to swap out Colossal for Extraordinary, played three matches and won all three...
      -relatively easy win against a Diviner
      -beat a Death Warlord (level 50) because she fled when her Critical Death Seraph did 2600ish damage, bringing me to 600ish and an Availing Hands tick brought me into the 1100 range
      -got down below 100 health against a Level 64 Conjurer with rank just below 500 and won because he couldn't finish me off allowing me to Frostbite into a Blue Phoenix

I'm still 9 wins away from 500 rank (and 16 wins away from Solar Surge)... and these matches are still frustrating for my current rank level... but...I've actually gone 9-1 on my Thaumaturge since the Karamelle PvP Update!
      (But then again, maybe this is my typical Thaumaturge personality shining through: thinking "These matches are so hard! It always feels like I'm behind and just about to lose!" and still ending up winning most of the time just feels like being a Thaumaturge against a Pyromancer, Conjurer, or Sorcerer...)
      Last edited by mmailliw; 12-13-20 at 3:10:58 PM.

ChoGath is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Observations from the Trenches: Late 4th Age Ranked PvP

Quote Originally Posted by mmailliw View Post
      After the latest update, I decided to go back to the Arena for some ranked PvP: fourth age had been awful to my characters and I wanted to see what had changed for myself. In particular, my Level 69 Thaumaturge, Victoria StormBane (who had been a warlord in each of the first three ages) had played 201 matches and won 92 of them - only good for a rank of 228.

Realistically, I think the big problem with KI's ranking system is that as most casual players left the arena, the skill of the average player remaining has improved dramatically. With a ranking system that places a new player at 'average', we now have something where experienced players consistently winning 40 or 45 percent of their matches have lower 'rank' than brand new players with almost no PvP experience. Rank in the 400-500 range can just as easily mean 'only played 3 matches in my life and lost all of them' as 'can consistently hold my own with the skilled players remaining in the arena'.

Of course, the rank system gets worse when the people who are 'left behind' stop PvPing as the 'average' skill of people remaining therefore goes up. This is because the system requires a number of truly below-average players to keep ranking properly calibrated! (If the new PvP system for Fifth Age really does mean you can't lose rank... hopefully this problem - where experienced players 'look' worse than true beginners - goes away!)

Yep, this is my experience too. I brought my L50 Storm back to life back in June, pushed him up in 1v1 to 1400, then moved up to L70 just before the latest PvP update. Truly new wizards to PvP stand little chance at either level, since the large majority of people I encounter are old-timers that either never left or are coming back to see what's going on. The recent changes nerfed the damage folks can generate, but have left the healing schools mostly alone. New wizards are still doomed without any experience or reasonably competitive gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoGath View Post
      A [month] ago, my youngest daughter and I decided to do some 2v2 together with my balance L76 wizard and her fire L75 wizard. Both of us were using decent pets, but nothing special. No mastery amulets were used. In total, we were dressed in decent, general PvE gear with 35% general resist. Both of us had win/loss records of 0-0 and rank 500. What happened next was shocking to me.

The very 1st game we got paired with a 2x L50 double ice team that was ranked 2500+, with excellent gear, and with excellent pets. We got wrecked in 5 turns - "Gosh, that wasn't much fun." I suggested a few deck changes as we played out the next 4 games, but the outcome did not change. We got paired with similar 2x L50 teams in the 2100+ rank range and were dispatched in 4-5-6 turn disasters. In summary, we ended our 1st adventure together into the current PvP world at the 0-5 mark. We were completely outclassed in terms of gear, pets, and team abilities. Later, my daughter went to the practice arena to try some 1v1. She got paired with another wizard that was nearly immune to fire damage and lost horribly.

Here are my [initial] thoughts on this anonymous 2v2 "noob" experience:

1. There are no more traditional captain, commander, or warlord rank wizards left. Traditionally, wizards came to their rank by (only) playing against their same level of wizards. Their opponents were similarly geared and the competition lasted 30 minutes or so. Everyone would leave with the feeling that better play would change the outcome. Not so today.
      2. The skill level of the traditional captain, commander, and warlord ranks are now found at the 300-400-500 ranks of the current ranking system. This means that the average beginner will experience a series of losses, -25 rank for each loss, until they reach the "private" rank of 0-100-200. This "forced" series of losses creates a very negative experience for a beginner and causes a large "inflation" of rank scores on the leader board.
      3. There is no clear, straight forward path for a PvP "noob" to overcome the huge gear / pet gap that they are immediately confronted with. Creating a perfect pet has consistently taken about 15-20 mixes for me. I have lots of generous friends with perfect pets, constant gold, and willingness to constantly mix with me to gain the final result. A random PvP "noob" probably won't have this kind of support group. Crafting and Gardening can be done solo, but can be very time consuming. EMPeas, Sunions, Ivy League, and other key plants cost crowns.
      4. Even after you overcome the serious gap in gear / pets, you will need to gain the knowledge of how to beat someone 1500-2000 rank points higher than you - a skill you did not need in the traditional rank system until you were already a warlord with warlord style gear. Very high rank, lower level wizards used to be uncommon and were paired against other experienced / skilled wizards. Nowadays, "noob" wizard teams are immediately fed to the 2x L50 double ice or Ice/Life teams that dominate the leader board.

In summary, I can easily see why PvP numbers appear to be down, especially in 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. The "noob" experience is unmercifully negative. The gear/pet gap is enormous. There does not seem to be any reasonable place where a PvP "noob" can grow, mature, and gain experience without constantly being crushed by highly experienced warlords who are 1500+ rank points higher.

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The arena is definitely not noob-friendly. The problems are (1) the small queue and (2) the lack of separation between noob and veteran.

Unfortunately, a matchmaking system is only as good as the people on queue. With a small queue, it's very unlikely that a match will be fair. I've loved level 20-69 PvP since 2010, but nowadays, if you want a fair matchup, you need to be queuing at level 130+.

It doesn't matter how much KI decides to improve matchmaking, whether that's matching noobs with noobs, old players with other veterans, level with level, or some other more complicated algorithm.

Another fundamental problem is how a wizard starts. If I want to start to PvP on a new wizard, I will be much more prepared than an average 500-ranked noob. I will have 10 years of perfect accumulated crown gear, above average deck setups, and a perfect ultra pet. I should not be matching up against other 500 ranked players, who are legitimately entering the arena for the first time. In most other PvP games, people don't normally make 6-7 different accounts and rank up the PvP leaderboard. They stick with 1 account. And even if they did, they would quickly rise up the ranks so that they won't continuously match up with newbies. The +/- 16 rank system is a terrible elo system. The difference between a 2000 ranked player and a 1000 ranked player is not skill, but significant time.
      Last edited by Patrick FairyStalker; 12-6-20 at 10:34:45 PM.

CelestialMoon is offline W101C Tournament Master

• CelestialMoon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Esmee Fire/Sky/Storm-Blossom, Legendblade, Willoweyes, Mythcaster, Shadow/Legend/Winter-Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  All different kinds

Mood:
      Cheeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Some of my wizards came out of "retirement" since Covid struck. Note, I haven't stepped foot in ranked for a long time with the exception of observing Central tournament matches. 1 is a 65 myth. She went to 39-10 and 964 rank pretty quickly before the most recent update. My ice did 130 peev and went to 81-35 and 1236 rank. My max balance has been played mostly lately (even since the new update) and is currently sitting at 192-119 and 1668 rank.

Now then, I had quit ranked a long time ago when 3rd age came around (I didn't like the rng and hated the toxicity in the arena..sadly that hasn't improved much!), so I didn't have the best pets or gear any longer. All of this had to be farmed, crafted, purchased and created before I felt comfortable enough to step into the arena. This took forever! This supports what others have said about ranked not being "new player friendly". Yes, I had dueling experience and some idea of how to construct decks (especially after watching matches from this age and seeing how players are playing), but at the same time, I had years away from the arena and had a lot of work to do before I could compete. All the grind isn't something that casual players would want to do. All the time invested in farming and crafting, crowns used to create those perfect pets or to get that amazing gear isn't affordable for everyone, which goes to support why there aren't a variety of players in pvp. For example, my bal pulled the same person 4 times in a row just this evening.

I am hoping that once all the "kinks" are worked out and 5th age comes around, it will bring balance to the arena and a lot more competition.

Parcheesy00 is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick FairyStalker View Post
      The +/- 16 rank system is a terrible elo system. The difference between a 2000 ranked player and a 1000 ranked player is not skill, but significant time.
      Bingo. This is why I tell people that rank doesn't matter. Most elo systems in the games I've played give varying amounts of mmr based on how much your opponent has. If you're going against someone who has a considerably higher rank/elo than you, then you will gain a larger amount of mmr if you win and lose a smaller amount if you lose. The opposite applies as if they win, then they get a smaller amount of mmr because they were the favored to win.

In general, I'm not sure an elo based ranking is the most suitable for a mostly rng based game. Of course, there is knowledge, experience, and some degree of skill in factor, but at the end of the day, the person who wins is most likely the person who just drew what they needed when they needed it. In a game like this, "high rank" really just comes down to playtime, and all high ranked players simply play the game a lot more than others.

...Or they just boost. The amount of boosting that happens is more than enough discredit elo itself. Anyone with a perfect 25-0 record is probably boosted. I'm not trying to degrade you if you've gotten to high rank legitimately, but I don't know if I can congratulate you or not, because frankly, with the amount of boosted people at high ranks, I can't tell if you're legit or not unless I've seen you in a match.
      Another point I would like to add is that I know many people who definitely know what they're doing when it comes to pvp, but they aren't warlords simply because they choose not to play ranked.
      Last edited by Parcheesy00; 12-6-20 at 9:37:44 PM.

CelestialMoon is offline W101C Tournament Master

• CelestialMoon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Esmee Fire/Sky/Storm-Blossom, Legendblade, Willoweyes, Mythcaster, Shadow/Legend/Winter-Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  All different kinds

Mood:
      Cheeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Parcheesy00 View Post
      If you're going against someone who has a considerably higher rank/elo than you, then you will gain a larger amount of mmr if you win and lose a smaller amount if you lose. The opposite applies as if they win, then they get a smaller amount of mmr because they were the favored to win.

This is exactly how Central's ladder system works. Granted, ladders have been "dead" (didnt' even open one since the summer b/c of updates), but I think the system is good and fair.

ChoGath is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick FairyStalker View Post
      The arena is definitely not noob-friendly. The problems are (1) the small queue and (2) the lack of separation between noob and veteran.

Unfortunately, a matchmaking system is only as good as the people on queue. With a small queue, it's very unlikely that a match will be fair. I've loved level 20-69 PvP since 2010, but nowadays, if you want a fair matchup, you need to be queuing at level 130+.

It doesn't matter how much KI decides to improve matchmaking, whether that's matching noobs with noobs, old players with other veterans, level with level, or some other more complicated algorithm.

Another fundamental problem is how a wizard starts. If I want to start to PvP on a new wizard, I will be much more prepared than an average 500-ranked noob. I will have 10 years of perfect accumulated crown gear, above average deck setups, and a perfect ultra pet. I should not be matching up against other 500 ranked players, who are legitimately entering the arena for the first time. In most other PvP games, people don't normally make 6-7 different accounts and rank up the PvP leaderboard. They stick with 1 account. And even if they did, they would quickly rise up the ranks so that they won't continuously match up with newbies. The +/- 16 rank system is a terrible elo system. The difference between a 2000 ranked player and a 1000 ranked player is not skill, but significant time.
      The key for me is keeping the true noobs away from the -16 rank death spiral from 500 down to 0-100-200. The current situation is at least a 20 game beatdown ( (500-200)/16 ), during which you receive ZERO new tools to help your situation. Without new Gear, new Pets, new Plants, or wins for encouragement/Rank, the noob is simply feeding their rank to the high flying 1000+ ranked veterans.

KI needs to make this 20 game training period a positive, productive, enjoyable time:

Quote Originally Posted by ChoGath View Post

• Drop the rank requirements to buy the PvP gear. Good players (i.e. warlords) are rewarded plenty when they win by earning more tickets quicker. Participating in KI tournaments gets lots of tickets - winning currently gives bonuses too. The current commander/warlord rank requirements "lock in" the huge advantage to veterans and penalize the new people.

• Create some additional set of Diego training missions - a mission after each 5 duels played (not won) up to (4x5) 20 duels played. After each 5 games, reward 1 Prickly bear seed and a crafting recipe for one piece of the commander gear, with the 4th reward being a new "Battle Cat" pet and extra prickly bear seed. Have the new "Battle Cat" pre-set to manifest Proof-Sprite-Defy. ... These missions would grant useful stuff to all, regardless of their PvP skill. The Diego text / voice tutorial could explain the need to craft and get good pets to be successful.

mmailliw is offline W101C Tournament Master

• mmailliw's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  William PearlMender
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

As I moved on, I was generally consistently ranking up... winning most of my matches without too much difficulty until I reached 400 rank. Ironically the person I beat to hit 400 the first time had the exact same player name as one of the top Central tournament players in the arena - but this was not the same person, and I breathed easier when that became apparent!

In any event, going into today I had gotten my rank up to 420 with only two losses: I had gone something like 14-2 since the reset and decent, respectable rank was in sight!

Today, though, felt like the arena had gotten much harder... after being overpowered by a Level 71 Storm and a 50ish level Life high Warlord (on a mega bladed Spinysaur that did JUST more than my health on the initial tick - and I had Triage in hand), I then got a fairly quick win... but now I was facing much higher level opponents... and with real PvP strategy, gear, and so on to boot! I remember being outslugged by a Level 90 wizard, and then finishing the day by beating a challenging match against a Pyromancer with more health than my own (turns out he was Level 83) to get my rank back to 404.

A few hours later I tried to get another late match in, hoping the crowd would be a bit easier... but I had to deal with two matches against a Level 83 Pyromancer (possibly the same one from earlier). Both matches were struggles and I felt like I lost each one by about half a turn. Wanting to close out the day with a win, I found another match against a more level-appropriate opponent: a Theurgist with health slightly below my own. Triages and Shields made it hard to do damage, though I was able to survive her Spinysaur and start doing real damage. Not enough to kill, but enough to keep the needle safely on my side and impress Diego.

So I ended up 3-5 for the day and back to 388 rank... going into today, post-update PvP felt like a doable grind to a higher rank. But today's matches tell a different story - and while I'm sure I can crack 400 again, reaching 600 and Solar Surge seems much harder. Especially when going up against well-prepared Archmage and Promethean Wizards with so much Critical​... (to be fair, my level is closer to 83 than to 50, but going up against someone +14 levels with 100-200 more rank than me is NOT a reasonable match!)
      Last edited by mmailliw; 12-20-20 at 3:58:12 AM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  William PearlMender
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Today might have been my most frustrating PvP day since Karamelle... after a few days of having my rank hover between 564 and 580, I started today at 580 and ended it at 468. I think I went something like 4-11 on the day:
      -tons and tons of Level 90+ players in full Hades gear (mostly around Veteran rank - I saw one manage to OHKO me for 5 digits)
      -two losses to the same Legendary Storm (despite 54 resist, was getting pummeled hard: at one point I had 2100ish health, my opponent was 1100 range, and a minimally buffed Leviathan did ~2375)
      -my streak of never losing a Diego decision in Rank ended: three decisions went to Diego and NONE of them went in my favor (even though I was never in any danger of getting near zero health in any of those three matches; the three opponents were 10-15 levels above me - I was ALMOST able to finish one of them off despite my opponent's complete desperation to remove every blade from me as soon as it came on, and constantly keeping the Fortify aura up making it hard to pierce through). Note that these 3 Diego matches added up to 90 minutes of time wasted - not counting time spent queueing up!
      -my wins were generally as bad mismatches as my losses: while Level 50 or even Level 49 might be semi-reasonable for a matchup against my Level 69 Thaumaturge (especially when having a losing streak around Private rank), Level 5 is pretty much exactly as much of a joke matchup as you think it is (a minimally buffed Woolly Mammoth through a Tower can OHKO a Level 5 Pyromancer pretty easily)...

so when I came into the day thinking "just two wins away from Veteran - the rank wall is receding and 600 is in sight"... I came out with my head spinning back at sub-Private ranking, being as frustrated with the Ranked Arena as I have been since the Karamelle update came out!
      Last edited by mmailliw; 1-12-21 at 4:04:35 AM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  William PearlMender
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

EPILOGUE: I did make my way to 600 about a week after that last post. Solar Surge is an awesome addition to my PvP arsenal (especially when added to the extra boost for Frostbite and Colossus that Karamelle already gave us: it makes Frostbite do 825 total damage as 205+620 and Colossus does a whopping 815-895)... but the matchups are even worse than they were at lower rank!

It seems that half of my (level 69) matches are against Promethean opponents, many of whom have full Hades gear. While I have a fair shot against a Level 90 opponent with random gear and no strategy, there's no real way at Legendary to take down an opponent with more damage than my top level Diviner and enough pierce to get rid of all my resist, especially when their own health and resist makes "race to OHKO" a losing battle for me.

But a surprising number of matches are against opponents below Level 50 with no Critical stats - and such an opponent would have even less of a chance against me than I would against a Level 99 with Hades gear. And that's when I get matches at all... there aren't exactly tons of opponents in the Arena who are Level 60-79 with rank between 550 and 699...

in any event, though, my rank has stayed consistently between 580 and 628 since mid-to-late January! (until I went 1-6 last night, and I'll just say it's not fun to go up against a Life Warlord whose strategy is "build up max blades and traps while keeping Sanctuary, Fortify, and shields up... Empower or Sacrifice away weaknesses, Shatter your shields, and do five digits of damage even through the Tower you dug for right after the Shatter!")
      Last edited by mmailliw; 3-1-21 at 3:38:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast