•  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: if WIZARD101 SURPRISINGLY unexpected closed in 2021?

I don't think it will yet. It will come eventually, nothing lasts forever. But, if it theoretically did, I suppose I would bid goodbye to a fundamental part of my childhood, with bittersweet acceptance. I'd also make an effort to login more, and leave the game open and idling to see if I could catch any old friends coming back for once last look before the servers close to see if I could find a way to maintain connections with them.

Spellbinder is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I would blame marketing. :P
      Omg
      I think I love you more than paper tick
      -Katz to fishy cracker

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post
      I would blame marketing. :P
      Same lololol

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Oxnhorse is offline Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      Same lololol
      In a situation as big as KI that has had at least a good 11 year run, they can't just scapegoat the Marketing side of business and continue to let others among the company stay the course as if the rest are safe.

Many of us that started playing in late 2008, mid 2009 remember how when Test came out, EVERYONE participated and the KI brass turned us loose to find and report the bugs and gaming issues.

And as the person who went as Ambrose in the game left the helm of W101, that the game started to push out crowns players in favor of the MEMBERSHIP crowd; several other staff members quietly quit and the staff that stayed hired on newer people like Sparck and Ratbeard to help turn the game around.

And as Test for the Fall Update was being tried by MEMBERSHIP people, I remember reading Ratbeard's Dev Diary, which stated that the Astral schools in W101 was a gamebreaker on the system.

This to me shouts a big THEN WHY IN THE WORLD IF A FAVORITE PART OF THE GAME WAS A HINDRANCE TO THE GAME, how is it solely the problem of the Marketing team?

How many people among the KI staff knew about this about W101 and chose to hide this from the gaming community?

Yes, I do have some issues with the game, such as favoritism to the MEMBERSHIP crowd, but if that favoritism kills the game; it solely falls into the laps of everyone that took over when Ambrose left.

And the Marketing Team is only one part of the KI staff.

Oxnhorse

Icy BlackHeart is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Icy BlackHeart's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sabrina, Maria, Rylee, Alexis, Alexandria, Brecken, Tristan, Tara, Marissa, Evan, Sydney, Ryan, Jack
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Way too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Way too many

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Would be very sad cause I been playing it for a very long time and don't know what else to play now xD

Grumpy Cat is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      In a situation as big as KI that has had at least a good 11 year run, they can't just scapegoat the Marketing side of business and continue to let others among the company stay the course as if the rest are safe.
      Many of us that started playing in late 2008, mid 2009 remember how when Test came out, EVERYONE participated and the KI brass turned us loose to find and report the bugs and gaming issues.
      And as the person who went as Ambrose in the game left the helm of W101, that the game started to push out crowns players in favor of the MEMBERSHIP crowd; several other staff members quietly quit and the staff that stayed hired on newer people like Sparck and Ratbeard to help turn the game around.
      Yes, I do have some issues with the game, such as favoritism to the MEMBERSHIP crowd, but if that favoritism kills the game; it solely falls into the laps of everyone that took over when Ambrose left.
      And the Marketing Team is only one part of the KI staff.
      Oxnhorse
      The larger problem is that marketing has become so integrated with the entire strategy/operations direction of KI that it is in many ways responsible for consumer dissatisfaction of the present. So while itís valid to say marketing isnít the only problem here, marketing has gained a dominance thatís put it at the top of the hierarchy for KI. I wouldnít call myself a business person at all, but itís fair to say some of the things KIís been pulling recently and over the past few years have been no less than terrible. How some of these ideas have made it off the drawing board is anyoneís guess.

To be fair, KI is, and has never really been in a financially safe position, at least for the long term. Itís an underdog company and almost every aspect of the company from its Texas-hq to its overactive Twitter leadership is a liability. When competing with powerhouses like Nintendo and indie favorites like whoever made League, itís no wonder that theyíre pulling all of these desperate stops. The family friendly angle gave it some success in 2008 when it was in beta competing against a different market (ToonTown, Club Penguin, etc), but beyond that, I think we're living in such a different time that approach isn't successful anymore. KI has a failed marketing team, but beyond that, Iíd argue the marketing team is the product of a failure to continually innovate in the tech sphere, which is fundamentally about innovating and making content which makes people want to come back for more.

Per the crowns vs. members comments, Iíd argue we donít have enough data to say anything about the relationship between profits and focus there. While theyíve shifted towards member-based incentives, KI doesnít seem like the smartest bunch. Whether thatís effective, we donít really know. Regardless, prices havenít changed in over a decade of the game, so a focus on members isnít really something I care about as someone with accounts on both systems. Your comment about letting everyone use test in 2008-2009 isnít really valid anymore, as that was a time when less people were around anyway. For a new game, expanded test is to be expected to some extent.

Going back to the original question, I wouldnít be sad, and KI deserves what it has coming. The pandemic has given a lot of games a nostalgia boost, especially for wiz which is cheap and accessible. In the next few years, I do expect the financial realities to start becoming even more apparent. Wouldnít at all be surprised by a buyout and restructuring in the future.
      Last edited by Grumpy Cat; 12-7-20 at 3:08:20 PM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

@Grumpy Cat,

Many people that have played W101 since 2008/2009 have the more nostalgic memories of Wiz101, might be laughed to scorn over the ways the KI has changed over the years, but do not dismiss what we are saying about the game.

Say you invite 20 friends to a party, and only 5 of them are let in because of the length of time you knew them. Should the other 15 just accept that they were barred from the party, based on the fact that they are newer friends, and merrily go on with their lives?

Those of us that have stayed with the game are kinda addicted with knowing what is coming next, yet at the same time have noticed tiny details about KI that doesn't sit right with us.

Like I have said, there was a time when EVERYONE playing Wiz101 were able to help KI with Test to try our separate skills and see how they matched up; and we were thanked by the company.

Yet, after the person whose character was Ambrose left the company, the game became more targeted to the MEMBERSHIP crowd at the expense of the CROWN crowd; otherwise KI wouldn't be offering DOUBLE BONUS FOR MEMBERSHIP on anything in the game.

My words might not be popular, might not be accepted, or even laughed off as insane; but if you are among the MEMBERSHIP crowd, please do us CROWN players a favor, wait until your MEMBERSHIP expires and then play Wiz101 without the benefits.

Your speed at using a credit card to return to MEMBERSHIP should be telling to you, if you get the sudden expectation that you are being put over a barrel and that it seems unfair that one crowd IS FAVORED over the other.

In closing,

If you look at W101 website it states that W101 IS FREE TO PLAY FOREVER, what they don't say is PROVIDED YOU CONTINUALLY BUY W101 CARDS TO MAINTAIN YOUR MEMBERSHIP OR FIND YOURSELF STUCK IN WIZARD CITY UNABLE TO CONTINUE ON IN THE SPIRAL WITH YOUR FRIENDS.

Big difference here.

Oxnhorse

lethargy101 is offline Fizzled

Mood:
      Fine

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yet, after the person whose character was Ambrose left the company, the game became more targeted to the MEMBERSHIP crowd at the expense of the CROWN crowd; otherwise KI wouldn't be offering DOUBLE BONUS FOR MEMBERSHIP on anything in the game.

My words might not be popular, might not be accepted, or even laughed off as insane; but if you are among the MEMBERSHIP crowd, please do us CROWN players a favor, wait until your MEMBERSHIP expires and then play Wiz101 without the benefits.

Your speed at using a credit card to return to MEMBERSHIP should be telling to you, if you get the sudden expectation that you are being put over a barrel and that it seems unfair that one crowd IS FAVORED over the other.

In closing,

If you look at W101 website it states that W101 IS FREE TO PLAY FOREVER, what they don't say is PROVIDED YOU CONTINUALLY BUY W101 CARDS TO MAINTAIN YOUR MEMBERSHIP OR FIND YOURSELF STUCK IN WIZARD CITY UNABLE TO CONTINUE ON IN THE SPIRAL WITH YOUR FRIENDS.

Big difference here.

Oxnhorse
      Exactly your benefit by going down the crowns route, is you can play what you have bought for as long as the game exists. Member benefits aren't all that now especially without double gardening. To be honest while double pet training is so nice I've done most of my pets between benefits, same with fishing and crafting. Let's also not forget you can buy an extra character slot for a one off price, while members can only have six or buy 2 or more memberships. In my case I've played since 2012 and a second account maybe for five years that money adds up. So please don't think it's all roses and sunshine being a member.

Grumpy Cat is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

@Grumpy Cat,

Do not dismiss what we are saying about the game.
      Say you invite 20 friends to a party, and only 5 of them are let in because of the length of time you knew them. Should the other 15 just accept that they were barred from the party, based on the fact that they are newer friends, and merrily go on with their lives?
      if you are among the MEMBERSHIP crowd, please do us CROWN players a favor, wait until your MEMBERSHIP expires and then play Wiz101 without the benefits.
      I understand your frustration, however, your arguments appear rooted in a misunderstanding of the company's growth and development timeline. Nobody is saying most of this other than you.

At the 2008-2009 time period you are mentioning, KI's relatively open access to test realm is simple the result of a more limited customer base and need for more input from a variety of angles. They're a new company, they need people's input. Given that new-ness to the market, there's nothing in that particular feature to draw any conclusions from. If KI later figured out they only needed a sampling of X to create the same results and bug test, fair enough. By this, I am not saying this is a perfect system. The amount of crowns, length of testing, etc. have all provided inadequacies.

The party example also is a poor one for this case. A better one would be say you have this new, upcoming restaurant. For the first year, they waive their cover charge to get in, but obviously still charge for food (member/crowns). They want publicity, thus the freeness. After being established, they start charging a cover charge because they can and don't need the marketing anymore. So while the first time, all 20 friends got in, years later, maybe only 5 were willing to pay. They certainly were not entitled to the restaurant.

At the end of the day, KI is a privately held business who has to make money. Crowns or membership, on a per-account basis, it's pretty cheap for the basics of being able to quest a wizard and access most of the content. I personally shift between membership when new worlds are coming out or I want a particular scroll and crowns when I'm playing less. Frankly, the membership benefits aren't even that great.
      @Oxnhorse it seems what you're hoping for is a free for all where you get all of the benefits without having to pay up your 20 bucks in dues. If you compared Wizard101's subscription/crown rate increases to other games or companies, I think you'd be surprised to see they have remained pretty flat. Even for crown unlocks of areas, you're still going to be at $10-20 for a world tops, with a world every 1-2 years. Not bad for hours of entertainment.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Say what you will, but I could care less whether someone is a MEMBERSHIP or CROWNS player.

Many of the comments in this thread are citing the Marketing part of KI as being the Achilles Heel of the game, but I used to be able to freely post on the W101 website before ONLY MEMBERS could post.

So I started posting in here as I created an account in this forum to contribute to others, in some way, shape or form.

You may not agree with me on the issue of WHERE or WHEN KI started going downhill, but anytime I see the passing cards as I'm logging in, a majority of them are for MEMBERSHIP REWARDS, a policy that crowns players can't participate in or reap the rewards from.

To me, that is the definition of favoritism.

Oxnhorse

As for the free angle, that train left W101 when I was asked to pay 750 crowns each for Cyclops Alley, Triton Avenue, Firecat Alley and the rest of Wizard City.

I used to waste my time getting MEMBERSHIP for 2 months, but I wasn't interested in playing the game until after my MEMBERSHIP ended. It wasn't cost effective for me when I play that way because my friends would ask for help and I was unable to help.

So instead, I buy the 20 dollar card and take the 10K crowns and buy the zones for easier access with the game.
      Last edited by Oxnhorse; 12-8-20 at 6:11:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast