----

Mood:
      Trolling

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unlocking Lands for EVERYONE

I feel really sad for the kids who are willing to grind, but can't financially afford to invest in the game. I'd personally love to explore Marley Bone and Mooshu, but don't even have much access to the worlds I already have. I've invested in about 20-30 dollars from gift cards at my local retailer. With so many promotional offers being shoved into kid's faces, they should at least give us the entire land. Even a "pay with gold" option would do.

i really respect KI's hard work in overhauling the graphics to make it more efficient, but eventually all my remaining quests will require me to go to a place I have to pay for. So what if I've already paid for the very basic inner cores of Krokotopia and Grizzleheim? I still don't have full access to those areas and all I want is for all those displaced kids on library computer to get the same opportunity to explore the Spiral as I do.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind a one time payment for access to an entire land and its contents. But the literal layers of payment on top of payment just makes KI look like a money hog and scares interested people away. Not to mention that there's hundreds of other things to invest Crowns into. Now that membership has actual benefits, the whole pay-as-you-go within each land seems so redundant by now.

Maybe it would somewhat better for Wizard101 to have a Members Only hub in each area with it's own secret environment and exclusive monsters found nowhere else on top of special side quests, reward bonuses, etc.

If players are given the chance to grind and invest within the game itself, then it seems like they'd be more willing to pay for Crowns/membership as a thank you. Animal Jam has been very gracious when it comes to letting players customize their character, houses, play minigames, etc. on top of handing out free event items left and right, so it makes sense for me to purchase a new den/animal as an occasional birthday/Christmas present. I don't see why a grinding type game couldn't allow access to the outer worlds in a similar fashion.

P.S: No need to worry about cheaters or noobs interfering with gameplay since each world would be unlocked on a level-by-level basis.

masterofcatastrophe is offline Legendary Wizard

• masterofcatastrophe's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Isaac
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Maximus
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Old Sparky

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Unlocking Lands for EVERYONE

Quote Originally Posted by SabrinaIceBreaker View Post
      Maybe it would somewhat better for Wizard101 to have a Members Only hub in each area with it's own secret environment and exclusive monsters found nowhere else on top of special side quests, reward bonuses, etc..
      Ah yes, then the free players will complain about pay2win

Eclipse summon: a dragon whose wings span the skies; golden sun
      bored? want a "wizardly" change? support my thread!
      SUPPORT MY THREAD TO CHANGE GAZE OF FATE!

SabrinaIceBreaker is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Trolling

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by masterofcatastrophe View Post
      Ah yes, then the free players will complain about pay2win
      I don't understand your reasoning. I'm talking about having like a private clubhouse. Nothing that interferes with free players at all (unless they've got a left over quest in their log). Of course it's gonna be for members only!

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Post Re: Unlocking Lands for EVERYONE

I feel really sad for the kids who are willing to grind, but can't financially afford to invest in the game. I'd personally love to explore Marley Bone and Mooshu, but don't even have much access to the worlds I already have. I've invested in about 20-30 dollars from gift cards at my local retailer.
      I can speak for those kids because that was me once. To this day I remember grinding Rotting Fodders for XP so that I could reach Level 15 without buying Krokotopia, and completing every single side quest in an area while I was waiting to buy a new one. Of course, back then things were easier financially speaking. KingsIsle dropped classic Crown Sales monthly, and the playerbase loved it!

But ever since 2018 and the insidious seeping of EA tactics into CrownsIsle, these sales became more scarce until we went a full year without one. The last classic Crown sale was in August 2019, but the most egregious thing is that Crown purchases make up over 50% of their income!!
      Don't buy giftcards if you can help it, they are an incredibly inefficient method of accumulating Crowns. The 80,000 for $60 sale is your best bet at this point, though I would honestly recommend not buying anything from this scumbag company.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind a one time payment for access to an entire land and its contents. But the literal layers of payment on top of payment just makes KI look like a money hog and scares interested people away
      Great idea! A one time payment would attract and retain so many Players, since this payment model is much more Player friendly. I remember questing through Pirate101 was so much fun on my new account since there was so much to do before you hit any sort of paywall, though things quickly turned sour in Valencia and Monquista (You literally can hit a paywall after 30 minutes of questing).

If players are given the chance to grind and invest within the game itself, then it seems like they'd be more willing to pay for Crowns/membership as a thank you.
      Exactly. It is so obvious that if you create quality content, a game won't need to rely* on predatory microtransactions to stay alive. Single purchase games like Minecraft, Among Us, and Skyrim definitely wouldn't be as renowned today had they opted for a pay to play model KingsIsle adheres to! For once in their life, KingsIsle should take a page out of their book instead of worshipping EA Games, the most reviled gaming company there is!

Anyways, your post really hit home for me. Everything you said here is so deeply relatable for me, and I want you to know that I understand!

*Only 11% of KingsIsle's income draws from their many microtransactions. Funny that they keep committing resources to make more though.
      Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 3-6-21 at 7:49:27 PM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

JakobTheWizard is offline Apprentice Wizard

Mood:
      Happy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yeah, I get you, I used to be young and couldn't afford to buy crowns or membership. The first thing I bought was a 6-month member, and the bonuses were nice, but after that I decided to buy the game with crowns, as then I wouldn't have to wait for the membership sales like everyone else, and I'd be able to buy the areas with extra crowns from trivia (which I did every day for years) as well, and wouldn't have to keep paying money each year. I've now bought all the areas in the game, except for some of the side-dungeons, and it's very nice now that I've got them forever, I've even started buying the areas in Pirate and am waiting for the next crowns sale to buy the rest of Pirate101. The member bonuses really are just bonuses, you don't need them, I would recommend you do trivia every day and find some work to do to earn some money and buy crowns.
      You can't expect KI to not want to be paid for their work, and you can do trivia every day to earn crowns, and make sure to check every day for crowns ads in-game.
      As for wanting to buy worlds in one payment, that would not be good, because people may not have the crowns for all of it, and it's nice to be able to buy part of a world. But maybe KI could make the worlds a little cheaper if you buy the entire world in one transaction.
      You can't 'invest' crowns in anything except buying the game, everything else that you buy with crowns is an optional bonus, if you want to be serious about buying the game with crowns, you need to be strict and not allow yourself to spend any crowns except for buying areas.
      Good luck!

Spellbinder is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

They actually have lumped areas together more than they used to be.

I think if it were up to me, I would tackle this from a different angle. Instead of making things no work free, I would have the daily assignment rewards auto give 50 crowns per task a day plus the other random items already there.
      50 crowns a day is not a lot, but for those loyal players willing to grind, it would add up much quicker and allow for areas to be unlocked at a much better pace for higher player retention. This would also ease (not fix) the lack of crown sales problem.

Another way to go about this would be to add tokens or badges to unlock areas. Something like, beat the kracken 500 times to unlock firecat alley. Beat Medulla 500 times to unlock Nimbus.
      Last edited by Spellbinder; 3-6-21 at 9:33:17 PM.
      Omg
      I think I love you more than paper tick
      -Katz to fishy cracker

JakobTheWizard is offline Apprentice Wizard

Mood:
      Happy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post

I think if it were up to me, I would tackle this from a different angle. Instead of making things no work free, I would have the daily assignment rewards auto give 50 crowns per task a day plus the other random items already there.
      50 crowns a day is not a lot, but for those loyal players willing to grind, it would add up much quicker and allow for areas to be unlocked at a much better pace for higher player retention. This would also ease (not fix) the lack of crown sales problem.

Another way to go about this would be to add tokens or badges to unlock areas. Something like, beat the kracken 500 times to unlock firecat alley. Beat Medulla 500 times to unlock Nimbus.
      Interesting ideas, but the point is that you need to earn the crowns by watching ads, which gets the views on the ads up and makes advertisers want to pay KI to advertise on their game and website, or inviting people to the game who spend money on it, so they get their money that way. You only get a small amount of crowns once every five days for the daily assignments, and that's because you're not actually making them any money, it's just to get you to log into the game every day in the hope that you will. However, your suggestion of a daily crowns reward for daily assignments is really good, because it would get many more players doing them and logging in every day, which would keep more players playing and spending money.
      As for giving away crowns/areas for farming bosses, I'm not sure how they'd get their money out of it, except for the same thing that they already would have from the daily assignments, getting people to play. I'm a bit against getting poor kids to waste so much time farming a boss so much to unlock an area which someone else just bought.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I would definitely like to see more options for players to receive crowns without paying for them. Sometimes watching ads for crowns won't work for players because it would slow down the device they're playing the game on to a halt and it simply wouldn't load (I don't think it would work on my old laptop, never tried on this new one). I think the time and effort a player is willing to give to this game despite its heavy limitations is worth at least developing a minor crowns reward, Ki should be at the very least thankful that these people are playing their game at all. Though Ki already does a lot of generous things for players for free like Ki-Live Codes, hosting Contests per particular holiday, and making it easier for players to buy membership for $5,there should be a long term way that players can explore more of the spiral for their effort....

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

SabrinaIceBreaker is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Trolling

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post

I agree with you there. I know that KI rightfully deserves to be paid for their work, but it makes more sense as the customer to unlock the *whole* area for a flat rate of idk maybe 10,000 - 15,000 each land. Maybe they should work at making crowns more accessible when it comes to bosses and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      I would definitely like to see more options for players to receive crowns without paying for them. Sometimes watching ads for crowns won't work for players because it would slow down the device they're playing the game on to a halt and it simply wouldn't load (I don't think it would work on my old laptop, never tried on this new one). I think the time and effort a player is willing to give to this game despite its heavy limitations is worth at least developing a minor crowns reward, Ki should be at the very least thankful that these people are playing their game at all. Though Ki already does a lot of generous things for players for free like Ki-Live Codes, hosting Contests per particular holiday, and making it easier for players to buy membership for $5,there should be a long term way that players can explore more of the spiral for their effort....
      I think this is a great idea, on top of having actual member benefits outside of double rewards.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I agree with you there. I know that KI rightfully deserves to be paid for their work, but it makes more sense as the customer to unlock the *whole* area for a flat rate of idk maybe 10,000 - 15,000 each land. Maybe they should work at making crowns more accessible when it comes to bosses and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is a great idea, on top of having actual member benefits outside of double rewards.
      I'm still lowkey skeptical about how Ki operates their business. I understand that there are a lot of players that pay for membership each day through the renewal of their subscriptions and a lot of players are giving the company a lot of money with crowns-splurging especially in times when there is a new meta "best" gear like with the Primeval pack and Sinbad deck. I'm assuming there isn't some sort of corruption scheme going on, so their workers are getting paid decently well. But I'm really hoping the company is getting paid enough each day that they could have a means of sacrificing some potential of their incoming wealth so that a community of players can get an expanded experience... that it's not the case that each employee is getting an increasingly aggressive amount of money (money-hungry per se) and only care more about increasing that value as though the player-experience is no longer significant to them. That's a dark place to be in but going into that deeper is just an entirely different subject.

The real matter is whether or not the company can open up places like Cyclops Lane, Fire Cat Alley, and Colossus Boulevard without making it so that their employees are not being paid enough for their work/effort. It's difficult to say whether that is possible because it is impossible to know the numbers (for privacy reasons). Assuming that Ki is a fair company, then the answer is no as they have not done so in nearly 13 years...

If the answer is yes, that Ki can sacrifice a bit of potential money by opening up Wizard City and have no difficult impact to their revenue, then there is a big problem going on in Ki because they have not done so in nearly 13 years.

I cannot definitively say one way or the other, I'm just skeptical with just a basic understanding of their business model.
      Last edited by Dylan Windwalker; 3-8-21 at 6:12:00 PM.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast