Mood:
      Bored

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Soloing is almost impossible now

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer View Post
      Died multiple times through critical hits and not having time to finish fight before you get defeated like for examples Vigilant Sargun in beginning of part 2, Tumbler in part 2, The Scorpion in Mirage, The Headmaster in part 2 etc..they all cheat and I die on my storm quite a lot.
      After you died, did you look up a guide to these bosses and cheats? Change your deck setup and/or gear? Adjust your strategy?

Not picking on you, just trying to figure out what exactly is keeping people from progressing in these worlds. Storm has never been an easy solo anywhere as far as I recall.
      Last edited by Sierra SeaSong; 5-26-19 at 3:38:19 PM.

edwardoad is offline Initiate Wizard

• edwardoad's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric StormHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Gummy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  In Progress for a perfect pet....

Mood:
      Relaxed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by blazewing View Post
      Try it with a Myth. I made level 40 and got stuck in mooshu after struggling through Krok, and Marleybone. Storm is the weak end of the tank fighters. You had trouble with that I can imagine how the mid striker of the support schools will do.

- - - Updated - - -

I would prefer if that rebalancing could travel all the way to Krok, I know I would be happier trying to solo with my wizards if it wasn't so frustrating.
      I don't see why krok should be changed, or any world before Azteca, for that matter, many of these worlds have already been balanced to begin with. A change of strategic gameplay and the proper gear/pet will make a world of a difference. Myth is not an easy school to master, strategy-wise, especially if you came from a school such as fire.
      Eric StormHunter 107 Christo BlueLeaf 102 Eric FireHunter 70 Eric DreamCaster 70 Eric IceBreaker 52 Eric MythHunter 37 Eric DeathHunter 37

Allison DeathWielder is offline Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  (I'm male irl) Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra SeaSong View Post
      Then by unsoloable do you mean you died once (not you specifically) and gave up? Or multiple times and just could not figure out a strategy for it?

I honestly do not recall having any issues where I simply got stuck anywhere in empyrea soloing on my myth, I did get defeated a few times (mostly because I didn't look up cheats beforehand), but was able to figure it out.
      Sorry in advance for the delay in responding, and the very long response I've given. I wanted to be as detailed and thorough as possible when I did respond.

Most of the time, I do make a point to try a boss several times with different deck setups, and I always look up cheats before even a first attempt because doing otherwise is giving yourself a frustrating loss for no reason. One of the bigger issues I've found is that there's just not good options for healing or defense unless you're Life or Death. Defensive play gets me nowhere because bosses either have high enough damage output that it doesn't make a significant difference, or they tend to spam removal only when I actually do try to defend myself. Their pierce counters Brace, and they do so much damage that it doesn't even feel like I have resist (though, granted, nearly every attack I'm hit with is a critical so that definitely doesn't help).

So, I also try hyper offensive strategies and find that I die even quicker (logically) and still don't get anywhere because even my Storm is incapable of killing quickly enough. I've lost count of the number of times I've been swung for 4000+ damage within the first few rounds of combat and then finished off by the minion or a random cheat spell (heck, this happens turn 1 before I even get to make a move sometimes).

To give a couple examples, some of the bosses I remember having the most trouble with in Empyrea were Neumian Lion and Tumbler.

While 2 DoTs or Shatters will deal with the boss's shields, you have to spend a significant amount of pips to deal with them while the lion is hitting you with a barrage of powerful critical hits, which are all either Star or Shadow damage (meaning you can't effectively shield against it). The boss has a mass version of Steal Ward just in case you do try to Tower Shield, and while Indemnity will protect it in this case, the boss's massive 22% pierce and natural +100% damage boost almost makes it not even worth casting because I still expect to take upwards of 2000 damage from an attack (I have anywhere between 40% and 58% resist depending on the wizard).

Haven't even brought up the minion, which while far less dangerous in a vacuum, can end the battle fast after all the damage that it does together with the lion until you're able to deal with them. This is one of those places schools like Myth, Storm, and Fire really struggle for me, because none of them have an effective heal, and using a life mastery to Satyr more efficiently doesn't get me anywhere because its heal isn't powerful enough to give me any staying power without a dedicated healing support setup like my Life has for team play. Speaking of damage, the starting pips on bosses like this are just far too ridiculous; I've reset a battle after the first round so many times because I went second and got hit for 80%+ of my health immediately due to a big hit without any opportunity to prevent it.

Lastly, there's the 0 pip Chimera, which showed me that playing this boss slow and calculated is absolutely not an option. If you're still going by round 9, you get whacked with 6000+ damage (I assume, anyway, because 1 head did over 2000 and killed me). You can't even prepare a Spirit Shield for this, because the heads do Astral damage (and you're only going to mitigate 28% damage per head anyway). This was extremely frustrating to me, because I actually almost had the battle won and then it just pulled that spell out and finished me off at no cost. I think that's the point when I finally decided to just give up and use a Life Henchman, because I'd already been attempting the boss for hours and I couldn't take it anymore after that happened.

I won't talk as long about the Tumbler, but what I will say is that it's just as frustrating, if not more, than the lion. My Myth was stuck on the fight for 3 days before I finally caved and used my Balance on my second account + 2 henchmen at separate times (because my Balance wasn't enough on her own). Ignoring the fact that any hit from its offensive cycle is seemingly a guaranteed one-shot no matter what kind of resist you put up, it also still hits very hard in its defensive cycle when you can't do anything to it. You can't spend a lot of time on this boss because its damage quickly becomes overwhelming, so you have to spend that defensive cycle buffing and hope that you can kill it before it does any real damage when it returns to the offensive cycle.

My Myth needed the extra step of adding a prism to the boss, so that was one more round I was put in danger and it did often make the difference, because I frequently died just before I was able to hit. Towers are even less useful here than they are with the lion, and there's no other effective way to shield because this boss uses attacks from 4 different schools (Death, Ice, Myth, and Moon). I also had battles in which I tried to risk hitting earlier than I thought I could, and those always ended badly because my hit failed to kill and usually resulted in me immediately taking a death.

While these are only examples of two bosses, nearly every cheating boss I've dealt with between both Mirage (pre-nerf, mostly) and Empyrea 2 has given me this sort of trouble and it's extremely demotivating to hit my head against a wall for hours or days because I've tried so many different builds and can't make anything work solo. Sometimes it feels like I'm taking way too long scrolling through every spell I have trained, or digging through the bazaar for SOME TC to use in a strategy I haven't thought of before, but rarely does anything get me anywhere. With how much I struggle at times even with my Balance from my second account (which I really don't want to rely on because I want to transfer her to my main account eventually), I just have to assume that all these bosses are designed for 4 players without taking solo players into account.

To answer the question of why anyone would want to or expect to solo an MMO, I think that depends on why someone was drawn to the game in the first place. I know for me, I saw magic and card battles, and those were the reasons I hopped onto the game. I love the type of gameplay and story, and I never joined with the idea of playing with others (I didn't even know what MMO meant when I found this game); I made friends, but for the most part I played solo as much as I possibly could, and was able to do so with relative ease up through to the end of Avalon. Had some bumps along the way, but nothing that felt impossible. I also want to mention that turn-based RPGs make up my favorite gaming genre, and I have a lot of years of experience with these types of games; I do not believe my problems come from a lack of skill. Based on responses I've seen over the years, I know I'm not alone in this and I believe that any online game should consider both full teams and solo players as often as possible.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 5-27-19 at 1:51:44 AM.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

Sierra SeaSong is offline Legendary Wizard

• Sierra SeaSong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sierra SeaSong
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Xena
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Bored

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allison DeathWielder View Post
      Sorry in advance for the delay in responding, and the very long response I've given. I wanted to be as detailed and thorough as possible when I did respond.
      Not going to quote the entire response because of space, but thank you for being so detailed, I think detailed feed back like this is needed so KI can get a real picture of what is going on here and you did a great job with that!

It looks like you did put in the effort to try to succeed which somehow makes the point more valid imo.

One of the biggest problems I see is that somehow creatures have gotten more block, so you can almost depend on receiving double damage hits from all the bosses and them blocking any critical you may get. Meanwhile our gear is going up in damage, down in resist, and block is just laughable, none of which is helping here.

I am sure when they program these fights they don't do the math based on double damage figures, but when was the last time you actually blocked anything?

I would like us to get some more balance gear options that include some significant block and stop with these high critical/damage tissue paper gear pieces! That in itself might go a long way in helping.

Padfoot101 is offline Adept Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allison DeathWielder View Post
      To answer the question of why anyone would want to or expect to solo an MMO, I think that depends on why someone was drawn to the game in the first place. I know for me, I saw magic and card battles, and those were the reasons I hopped onto the game. I love the type of gameplay and story, and I never joined with the idea of playing with others (I didn't even know what MMO meant when I found this game); I made friends, but for the most part I played solo as much as I possibly could, and was able to do so with relative ease up through to the end of Avalon. Had some bumps along the way, but nothing that felt impossible. I also want to mention that turn-based RPGs make up my favorite gaming genre, and I have a lot of years of experience with these types of games; I do not believe my problems come from a lack of skill. Based on responses I've seen over the years, I know I'm not alone in this and I believe that any online game should consider both full teams and solo players as often as possible.
      all you post is good points btw. i bold this in last bit cos part of it lots of times we see complain about people begging for help ect being annoy so it cant be both. it can be hard to get help and hard to ask if we dont want to be annoy. i seen people here complain if people run into mob battle even. now they want know why people solo. is it team work or not cos if you join get shout at and if you need help your annoy but they dont want it able to be solo. cant win with that tbh.

Lightdragon is offline Legendary Wizard

• Lightdragon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Liam RavenShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  artic fox

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      As a dedicated Life Wizard, I must take issue with this comment.

Statements like this are at the heart of the "school-ism" that pervades a lot of the game. Life wizards and Ice wizards received a lot of bullying in the early years, and are still putting up with it today. Myth wizards receive the same comments about being useless.
      with all do apologies this is what i heard and seen NOT agree with. this was when i first started the game. but the one spell which made it harder on life wizzies was the changing of seraph to single hit instead of an AOE like froggie. since i have AT LEAST ONE WIZARD FROM EACH SCHOOL.
      We need to get away from these ideas, and accept our fellow wizards as real people behind the screen -- not judging them until we've battled alongside rather than at the sigil.
      agreed.
      as for myth wizzies. i found them pretty powerful. and if you blade and trap right with the right gear(crafted myth gear for mid level is great besides the dropped water works gear. almost forgot a healing pet) which pretty much shocked a few randoms i went into with the endworld of Avalon and did a few instant kills with froggie. only time i had problems with a myth wizard was for one spell quest in krok and a few side bosses in Empyrea part II. and before i created the myth wizard. i had a balance,death,fire,life and an ice wizard. i think the hardest for me was transitioning from my balance to my death.
      Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Byakuran is offline Magus Wizard

• Byakuran's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alia StormCaster (110), Jack Hammer (110), Elizabeth UnicornWalker(idk), Luke LegendRider(120)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Luke
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Defender Pig

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Personally for me, it has gotten harder for me to solo on certain classes ever since they reworked the critical system, which basically rendered block useless because of the decay and there being a lack of options of gear to make up for decaying while maintaining decent stats. There have been more times than I'd like in which I had to log onto my second account to help with certain bosses because of the boss getting a lucky critical at the worse possible time or the creatures getting a critical literally every round and leaving me close to dead. It was significantly easier for me to solo worlds with the old critical system (Azteca doesn't count) because it was rare for me to not block and it felt like the monsters criticaled much less overall. The old critical system made Khrysalis a breeze to solo on my myth with the exception of a few battles (Ghost Dog brings back bad memories), I didn't mind not being able to critical on the bosses without using the critical bubble if it meant that I'd actually block their criticals.

Also, it feels like KI has started to make certain bosses cheat just to cheat and it's annoying, especially if the world is new and there are no formal notes about their cheats.

Also KI, please stop making boss fights a mini-dungeon. They're not fun, they're actually really annoying. At least add health wisps

Signature made by me
      Click the Cookie Monster ^^

mage3master is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      As for why some wizards might want to solo in an MMO, consider that some games have added a special mode to not only permit it, but to celebrate it as a challenge. Another game I play has added at least two special modes. One is called "Ironman", and it can't interact with other players, and must do everything solo. For someone who wants an even more extreme experience, there is "Hardcore Ironman", where you also must play alone, but with the extra challenge that when you die, it's over. On hardcore mode, when you die, you lose all your gold, all gear, all TC, and all levels, and you have to start over completely. Then, they have special "Highscores", where you can see who got the furthest without dying.

Before you answer "But that's impossible! No one can never die!", that's exactly the point. No one will ever make it to level 130. But, how far can you make it? As a life wizard? As a storm? From the game maker's perspective, it has an advantage, too. No new content is needed, and people don't reach the end game and quit playing from lack of new content. Instead, people have constant challenge, and keep playing, trying to be smarter, and get further.

As far as the boss cheats go, what I've never understood is the need for cheating bosses, anyway. Before making them cheat, I would have thought they should make them smarter. If they played with any semblance of intelligence, they could be a lot harder without any need to cheat. How often do you see the death boss blade his ice minion, while the ice minion blades him? How often do they feint you, and then do a fire elf? How often do they see you casting storm blades, and put up a death shield? Just a little more intelligence would make them a lot harder:
      1. Put blades only on themselves, or on minions that can use them
      2. Don't waste a turn on shields unless they have reason to think they are the correct class
      3. Have a preference for blading and trapping, followed by their biggest hit, rather than preferring to attack immediately, or blade then multi-hit, as in blade-meteor-blade-meteor
      Last edited by Willowdreamer; 5-31-19 at 6:51:23 PM. Reason: double posted

Allison DeathWielder is offline Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  (I'm male irl) Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by mage3master View Post
      As far as the boss cheats go, what I've never understood is the need for cheating bosses, anyway. Before making them cheat, I would have thought they should make them smarter. If they played with any semblance of intelligence, they could be a lot harder without any need to cheat. How often do you see the death boss blade his ice minion, while the ice minion blades him? How often do they feint you, and then do a fire elf? How often do they see you casting storm blades, and put up a death shield? Just a little more intelligence would make them a lot harder:
      1. Put blades only on themselves, or on minions that can use them
      2. Don't waste a turn on shields unless they have reason to think they are the correct class
      3. Have a preference for blading and trapping, followed by their biggest hit, rather than preferring to attack immediately, or blade then multi-hit, as in blade-meteor-blade-meteor
      I can really get behind this. I wouldn't mind if KI took the time to work on giving enemies better AI so that they make smarter decisions in combat (instead of what appears to be randomly selected spells). Cut their pips down so they start with the same number that the player(s) could at that point, and get rid of or at least decrease their natural stat boosts. This would also give the player a greater sense of what the enemy might do because it's playing logically rather than with RNG, and that allows for more strategy on the player's end without frustrating cheats unnatural or damage.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 5-31-19 at 1:05:17 PM.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345