Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Basic Guide to the Wiki

Guide on how to use it, about it, and how to edit it

The Wizard101 Wiki is a website that’s primary goal is to gather all of the information (or as much as it can) about the Wizard101 game. The Wiki can be edited by anyone who has a Wizard101 Central account, so the Wiki is constantly updated. This guide will explain the basic concepts of how to use the Wiki, and how to edit it to make it better.

Contents:
      I. Getting to the Wiki

II. Using the Wiki

III. Editing the Wiki
      IV. Creating Wiki Pages/Uploading Images

IV-1. Creating a New Page
      IV-1-A. Main Page Link
      IV-1-B. Red Link
      IV-2. Uploading An Image
      IV-2-A. Uploading From the Toolbox
      IV-2-B. Red Image Link
      IV-2-C. Uploading a New Version of an Image

V. Links in the Wiki
      V-1. Basic Linking
      V-1-A. Linking Plurals
      V-2. Linking With Different Words

VI. Flags
      VI-1. Stubs
      VI-2. ImageStubs
      VI-3. Admin Flags

I. Getting to the Wiki

When on Wizard101 Central, the Wizard101 Wiki is very easy to access. Under the banner where your toolbar is, you can find the tab to access the Wiki right in between the “Forum” tab and the “Wizard101 PvP” tab.

II. Using the Wiki

When arriving on the Main Page, you can review the announcements about the Wizard101 Wiki, including major changes, updates to the game that need to be added, and other important Wiki-related matters. The other two tabs when arriving consist of the main projects that are occurring on the Wiki, which always accept contributors, and the latest activity, where you can review the recent changes of edits to the Wiki. To the left of the page you will find the Menu Sidebar. You can access the around 60,000 pages the Wiki consists of.

III. Editing the Wiki

When you feel that a page needs editing, or you have missing information that can be added to the various pages of the site, you can always click the “Edit” tab on top of the pages (I will create more guides later that will better illustrate the edits you should make in a specific page, i.e. Creatures, Housing Items, etc.).

Some pages, however, may directly state that you should not edit them, a great majority being Category pages. Some pages may not even have an “Edit” tab. These pages will have a “View Source” tab. If you see these pages, it means that this page is protected, sometimes permanently, other times temporarily (or you may just be logged out). Protected pages can only be edited by the Wiki Masters.

When you click the Edit tab, a white box will appear, and within this contains the documentary of that specific page. You can edit the page from here. It is best that before you click “Save Page”, that you click the “Show Preview” or “Show Changes” button to see if there are no typos, incorrect links, etc. If there’s a comment you want to put about your edit to the page, you can place it in the small field that says “Summary”, which is located above the “Save Page”, “Show Preview”, and “Show Changes” tab.

Remember, Live Realm information can be added freely to the Wiki, but Test Realm information must be clearly marked. Read this thread for more information. Information in pages must be factual, containing no spoilers, rumors, opinions, or irrelevant information. Information must also be first hand; guesses and speculations are not accepted. Second hand sources such as screenshots are accepted, however, it's best to give a citation if the screenshot isn't yours. Remember that vandalism and vulgarity of any sort is not accepted or tolerated within the Wiki, this could result in suspension of Wiki rights or to be banned entirely.

IV. Creating Wiki Pages/Uploading Images

Kingsisle is always adding new things to Wizard101, and we do need contributors to help keep up with all the information that needs to be gathered. This section will help you learn how to create new pages and upload images.

IV-1. Creating a New Page

There are 2 ways you can create a new page. You can 1) click on a red link (that's not an image) and 2) click the "Create a New Page" link on the Main Page of the Wiki.

IV-1-A. Main Page Link

From the link on the Main Page, you can choose which kind of page you want to make. This includes Locations, Creatures, NPCs (Non-Playable Characters), Minions and Henchmen, Quests, Polymorphs, First Gen. Pets, Hybrid pets, Pet Abilities (Derby and Duel Talents), Pet Snacks, Equipment/Items, Housing Items, Mounts, Elixirs, Spells, Item Cards, Treasure Cards, Reagents, and Reagent Transmutations (separate from Reagents).

Depending on which kind of page you want to create, you will type the name the page is going to be, such as if there was a new Reagent called Square Crystal (just an example), I would type “Square Crystal” in the Reagents space, and click “Create Reagent”.

It will automatically fill in the Template spaces required to fill out so that the reagent page looks correct.

IV-1-B. Red Link

If you decide you are going to create a page via a red link, click the red link, and there will be a list of grey boxes that consists of the different Templates that you can use to create pages. Clicking one of them will add the necessary Templates to a page to make it look nice when you are done.

IV-2. Uploading An Image

There are 2 ways to upload a file on the Wiki. You can 1) click on the "Upload File" button in the toolbox under the MenuSidebar and 2) click on a red file link.

IV-2-A. Uploading From the Toolbox

When you click on the “Upload File” link in the Toolbox, you will be led to a page where you may do so.

The first field you must complete makes you choose the file you want to upload. You MUST save an image as a .png file, as it is the standard Wiki image file. The next thing to fill out is the “Destination filename:” you will fill this out with what the image name is. For example, if I wanted to upload the Spell image for Rain of Fire (saying it didn't already have an image yet), I would put:
      Code:
      (Spell)_Rain_of_Fire.png
      Uploading files is one of the few times where underscores are used as spaces. Here, I filled out (Spell)_ because the picture is going to be shown on the Rain of Fire page, which is a spell page, Rain_of_Fire, because that’s the name of the page, and .png because that’s the kind of file that is required to upload. So another example, say I wanted to upload an image for the Gnome pet (saying it didn't already have an image), I would type for the "Destination filename":
      Code:
      (Pet)_Gnome.png
      So short and simple, the layout would be:
      Code:
      (File Destination Namespace)_File_Destination_Pagename.png
      The field below the Destination filename is the “Summary”. In the summary, you must fill out the field with the category the image would be classified under. For this image, it would be [[Category:Fire Spell Images]] (for more information about image categories, visit the guide in the Wiki here). Once a category is stated in the first upload of an image, or it is edited in after the image is uploaded, it does not need to be stated in the Summary again. Aside from categorizing, you can also state changes to an image if it's an upload made to improve and image.

IV-2-B. Red Image Link

You can also upload an image by clicking on the red link on where an image would go on the page. If you click this link, it will already have the Destination filename field filled out, all you have to do is fill out the category and select the file to upload.

IV-2-C. Uploading a New Version of an Image

If you see an image that may look like it needs to some help, you have every right to try and improve it. If you want to update an image, click on it, and you will be directed to page just like the one'd you be directed to with a red image link. Here, you'd do just the same process, choose your File, and if you need to fill out the summary, go ahead, the Destination filename should already be filled out. If you uploaded an new version of an image, and it's not appearing, refresh the page and it will eventually show up.

V. Links in the Wiki

When you view pages, you may come across some words that don’t look like the rest, and are a blue instead of black. These words have pages linked to them. Red words will link to pages, but it means that either the link is incorrect, or the page has not yet been created. There are a few ways to link pages.

V-1. Basic Linking

The most basic way to link pages is very easy to do. Let’s say I wanted to append a link to the Lost Soul page to the Wizard City page. The link would turn out like this:
      Code:
      {{Link|Creature|Lost Soul}}
      This is the most simple way to link a page. The basic layout for this link is
      Code:
      {{Link|Namespace|Name of Page}}
      So another example, if I wanted to link the Phoenix Spell to a page, I'd type in
      Code:
      {{Link|Spell|Phoenix}}
      NOTE:The bar separating the parts of the link is not an I, not a 1, but a Pipe ( | ). You can type this by pressing "Shift + \".

V-1-A. Linking Plurals

If you are trying to link a page, but the word being linked is the plural of the page being linked, you may type an "s" after the Link code. So if I wanted to have a link to the Lost Souls page, but I'm trying to link "Lost Souls", I could easily type {{Link|Creature|Lost Soul}}s to the page and the link would appear as "Lost Souls", still connecting to the Lost Soul Creature page. For plurals that do not simply finish with the letter "s", see the next kind of linking.

V-2. Linking With Different Words

Let’s say that you want to link a page, but you don't want it so say what it is. Like if you want to link the Cyrus Drake NPC Page, but you want the link to say "Cyrus" instead of "Cyrus Drake". This is another basic link to do. You would type in something like this:
      Code:
      [[NPC:Cyrus Drake|Cyrus]]
      If you type it in this way rather than "{{Link|NPC|Cyrus Drake}}", the link will say "Cyrus" but will still link to the page "NPC:Cyrus Drake". So the layout for this link is:
      Code:
      [[Namespace:Pagename|What I want to say]]
      So another example. Let's say I want to link the page "NPC:Pacal Redmask", but I only want it to say "Pacal". I'd type in for the link:
      Code:
      [[NPC:Pacal Redmask|Pacal]]

VI. Flags

Flags can be found at the top of some pages in the Wiki. If you encounter one of these flags, it could mean that there is missing/incomplete data. Contributors can help out to help remove these basic kinds of flags.

VI-1. Normal Stubs

Basic Stubs can occur on pages for various reasons. Pages may be incomplete, they may need verification in some areas, etc. You can add/confirm/etc. information to be able to remove Stubs, or if you feel you need to add one of your own, do so please. Some Stubs are automated, and will disappear once they have been resolved. If it's not already there, it's an easy thing to add. Let's say there were too little Spells listed for a Creature, and you think there should be more, you could add a Stub like:
      Code:
      {{Stub|spells}}
      This should go above the Infobox coding. So a basic Stub should turn out like:
      Code:
      {{Stub|what needs to be fixed/verified/etc.​}}

VI-2. ImageStubs

ImageStubs are like normal Stubs, but they have to do with Images on the Wiki. Such ImageStubs include missing Images, clarity, better angle, etc. Most ImageStubs go on an Image page, but some go on normal pages if the Stub deals with an Image. Adding an ImageStub is very similar to adding a normal Stub, say an Image was too small, I could add:
      Code:
      {{ImageStub|a larger image}}
      If on a normal page, this goes above the Infobox coding, if it's on an Image page, it could go either above or below the Image Category, it really doesn't matter. A basic ImageStub should turn out like:
      Code:
      {{ImageStub|what could be improved about the image}}

VI-3. Admin Flags

Admin Flags are flags to let the Wiki-Masters know of something that is beyond a normal user's Wiki capabilities can fix. Such things are misnamed pages that need to be fixed, duplicated pages that need deletion, and so forth. Say someone added a new page called "Spell:rain of fire". This would be a duplicate of the "Spell:Rain of Fire" page. If you saw this, you could add to that page:
      Code:
      {{Admin|Duplicate page, needs deletion}}
      So the format for an Admin tag in case you ever needed to use it would be:
      Code:
      {{Admin|Whatever it is a Wiki-Master needs to fix}}
      Example of an Admin Tag on a page:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is anything you do not see on here that you think you think should be added to the basic guide, please post here so we can decide on whether to add it to this guide.

~ The Wiki-Master Team

Last edited by Mayonnaisinator; 11-11-21 at 9:28:09 AM. Reason: Updated guidance about Test Realm information

Pyro is offline Wiki Master

• Pyro's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian ThunderHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Prince Duncan
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Phoenix

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Basic Guide to the Wiki

Bump, anything?

DragonTamer1016 is offline Wiki Master

• DragonTamer1016's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew DeathFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Duke Tigra
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Nightmare
      ----

Mood:
      Geeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I am only just able to get on the internet so I will try my best to give it a look over today. I have other work to do as well haha. But a few things I saw after a brief glance...

1) The <nowiki>Insert code here</nowiki> tag will need to be added to code that normally performs wiki functions (such as categories) if you just want to see the text rather than it performing its normal function.
      2) I, personally, would like to see images added. For some people, and definitely myself, visually learning is a preferred method. It doesn't have to be exactly like this post, but I know that has been helpful for quite a few people haha.
      3) I think there were a few areas where wording was confusing, but I will look over that when I give it a thorough read-through.

Thank you for taking the time to do this

My Archmagi and Legendary Artisans:
      Matthew DragonFlame Matthew DeathFlame Matthew LifeFlame

ErinEmeraldflame is offline Wiki Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I think some work to improve the layout/appearance could help a lot right now too, to make it easier to read. e.g. more clearly delineated sections, using headers and bullet points instead of paragraphs, and having some images as examples. For some more ideas, take a look at the guides we put up on the pirate wiki. (Images for wiki-related guides can end up being stored on the wiki instead of albums)
      Last edited by ErinEmeraldflame; 11-1-12 at 12:06:56 PM.
      Erin Emeraldflame

• Pyro's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian ThunderHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Prince Duncan
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Phoenix

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DragonTamer1016 View Post
      The <nowiki>Insert code here</nowiki> tag will need to be added to code that normally performs wiki functions (such as categories) if you just want to see the text rather than it performing its normal function.
      I will add this, thanks

I, personally, would like to see images added. For some people, and definitely myself, visually learning is a preferred method. It doesn't have to be exactly like this post, but I know that has been helpful for quite a few people haha.
      3) I think there were a few areas where wording was confusing, but I will look over that when I give it a thorough read-through.
      I was definitely planning on adding images to the guide later, and change the words to make more sense with the pictures shown, I just haven't gotten around to that yet

Quote Originally Posted by ErinEmeraldflame View Post
      I think some work to improve the layout/appearance could help a lot right now too, to make it easier to read. e.g. more clearly delineated sections, using headers and bullet points instead of paragraphs, and having some images as examples. For some more ideas, take a look at the guides we put up on the pirate wiki. (Images for wiki-related guides can end up being stored on the wiki instead of albums)
      I will make sure to change the layout and get it to look nicer, and I will take a look at the Pirate101 Wiki Guides for reference, thank you. I have one question about the images, how would images on the Wiki show up in a post, or would we have a copy of the picture in the Wiki and one in an album?

_______________________________-

Off topic from these quotes, I think there's one kind of link I missed, I think I've seen it once before, but I'm not sure. It's where you can link something and it will load a page to a certain part of the page. Meaning, I can put a link to the Natural Attack Project on a page, but it will automatically jump to the Dragonspyre section of the page when you click the link. How would I type that link?

EDIT:added section for the nowiki code, inputting images onto a page, and using the {{PAGENAME}} feature
      Last edited by Pyro; 11-1-12 at 3:56:39 PM.

DragonTamer1016 is offline Wiki Master

• DragonTamer1016's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew DeathFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Duke Tigra
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Nightmare
      ----

Mood:
      Geeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro XD View Post
      I have one question about the images, how would images on the Wiki show up in a post, or would we have a copy of the picture in the Wiki and one in an album?

Off topic from these quotes, I think there's one kind of link I missed, I think I've seen it once before, but I'm not sure. It's where you can link something and it will load a page to a certain part of the page. Meaning, I can put a link to the Natural Attack Project on a page, but it will automatically jump to the Dragonspyre section of the page when you click the link. How would I type that link?
      To answer your first question, because the Wiki is considered part of Central, you can link to wiki images without a problem. If you are worried, you could always upload the images to both the wiki and ImageHostingCentral and handle it in that matter.

I think you mean something like a section link (at least that's what I call it lol). You can only do this for pages that have distinct sections which are denoted by one or more "=" surrounding them. Check out the crafting or gardening pages if it is not clear. Creature page templates already have this incorporated.

To link to specific sections add the URL for the page then add "#section name" to the end of the URL. Remember that underscores are needed for spaces

Examples:
      Crafting, Reagents section
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...fting#Reagents

Hall Servant, Item Drops Section
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...#Items_Dropped

My Archmagi and Legendary Artisans:
      Matthew DragonFlame Matthew DeathFlame Matthew LifeFlame

• Pyro's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian ThunderHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Prince Duncan
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Phoenix

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

To answer your first question, because the Wiki is considered part of Central, you can link to wiki images without a problem. If you are worried, you could always upload the images to both the wiki and ImageHostingCentral and handle it in that matter.
      Ok, I think I get it lol, I'm not to experienced with ImageHostingCentral but I'll try it out anyway when I get to it.

I think you mean something like a section link (at least that's what I call it lol). You can only do this for pages that have distinct sections which are denoted by one or more "=" surrounding them. Check out the crafting or gardening pages if it is not clear. Creature page templates already have this incorporated.

To link to specific sections add the URL for the page then add "#section name" to the end of the URL. Remember that underscores are needed for spaces

Examples:
      Crafting, Reagents section
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...fting#Reagents

Hall Servant, Item Drops Section
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...#Items_Dropped
      Yes! This is exactly what I was looking for Adding this now, thanks!

EDIT: Section Linking added. Going to add Section Headers to go with this. I'm also probably going to make mentions about Stubs, ImageStubs, Admins, Outdateds, Disambigs, and Deletes as well. I'm going to have to do this later, however, I'm a little short on time right now
      Last edited by Pyro; 11-1-12 at 6:40:31 PM.

Apollo is offline Legendary Wizard

• Apollo's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Luke Willow/Mist/Dawn/Breeze/Flame/Dream
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Sun
      ----

Mood:
      Cool2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Smile Re: Basic Guide to the Wiki

Very nice guide--explains things very well! Great job so far, this has SO much potential.

Apollo

• Pyro's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian ThunderHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Prince Duncan
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Phoenix

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Alright, with a heck of a lot more freetime lately, I'm going to try to get more of this (these) done. Starting to edit this one to make it more clear, and will definitely add images later
      Last edited by Pyro; 1-25-13 at 10:12:08 PM.

JackX is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JackX's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jack Frost/ Jack LionBlade/ Jack FrostSword/Jack FrostHammer/Jack FrostBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Leo/Spike
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Jinn

Mood:
      Friendly

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yea I think adding image would better help with the explaining but overall it still a very good guide.

~~
      Rules | PvP | Guides | My Pets ~~
      Avi/Siggy Emma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast