- Cyrus Drake: "Malistaire, this is Cyrus, your brother. Stop this madness at once! The Dragon Titan will no more serve you than he did the lords of Dragonspyre. Sylvia... your wife... She is gone. There is no power in the Spiral that can bring her back... certainly not this."
- Malistaire: "My brother Cyrus... you have apparently lost faith in my abilities. How unfortunate... and how blind of you. The lords of Dragonspyre lacked the will to command the Dragon Titan... I am far stronger than they were. I am the Master of Death. The Dragon Titan will do as I command. I will order it to return my wife Sylvia to life, so that she might rule at my side..."
- Narrator: "Cyrus holds up the Knowledge Crystal storing Sylvia Drake's memories."
- Cyrus Drake: "I can see that in your madness, there is no listening to reason. But perhaps you'll listen to the sound of your own heart."
- Sylvia Drake: "Malistaire, please... it's me, Sylvia. Listen to me. You must stop this madness. The man I loved would never risk the lives of so many for his own desire. I love you... please release me... be happy and move on."
- Malistaire: "I expected better of you, brother! You thought you could trick me with a mere illusion? You'll pay for evoking my beloved Sylvia! Now for my great work... the summoning of the Dragon Titan. Stand aside, young Wizard... you cannot hope to stop me."
Malistaire Drake is the former Professor of the School of Death at Ravenwood, and the last Boss you face in the original Storyline. After the death of his beloved wife, Sylvia, he left Ravenwood to pursue mysterious desires of his own. After battling the player character in the beginning of the game, he is not seen again until the player visits the world of Marleybone, where his true motives are revealed: After previously trying to acquire the Krokonomicon in Krokotopia, he hired the master thief Meowiarty to steal it for him. He wants to use it to force the Dragon Titan to bring his wife back, and nothing more; he is seemingly not aware of the threat against the Spiral that were the immense powers of the Krokonomicon and the Dragon Titan combined.
Malistaire's twin brother, Cyrus Drake, is the current Professor of the School of Myth at Ravenwood. It is not known for certain if they are identical or fraternal twins, although it is notable that Cyrus is left-handed, while his brother is not.
Long ago, Fire, Ice, Storm, and Balance were the only known elements of nature. The Drakes used to teach all the elements of spirit: Sylvia taught Life, Cyrus taught Myth, and Malistaire taught Death.
It should be noted that whenever Malistaire appears in-game other than in his boss form, he is called simply by his first name. When met in The Crown of Fire, his last name, Drake, is added.