Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Pyromancer's 1v1 Guide!

Okay, first off I wanna give my thanks Nick for letting me take over his awesome and well organized guide. I will be adding my deck setup and my strategy to make this guide an excellent resource for Pyromancers.

Now many of you know me, I have had the privilege of participating in several Central Tournaments. Also won the very first tournament I joined in. I have over 1,500 wins on my record. Hope this guide helps Wizards that are struggling in 1v1 ranked.

Fire is one of the more technical schools to PvP with. If you don't know what you're doing, it's tough to win. This guide will hopefully give you a solid foundation to start with.

But what will I WEAR?
      A quick overview of gear in PvP.
      Arena Gear - The obvious choice is Commander Gear. If you get serious about PvP you'll eventually be saving up for it.I don't suggest wasting Tickets on the Veteran gear. Just save for Commander. Cloak first, it's the most expensive.Obviously you won't be starting out with full gear, we'll talk about what to do until then.

Crown Gear - The next best thing to Arena Gear is Crown gear. Crown Gear comes in two basic flavors, one with tons of health and one with tons of stats. Being as that Fire Wizards accuracy is so low, I lean towards the gear that gives accuracy boost over the gear that just gives mountains of health.The accuracy, general resist, and Power Pip percentage of Crowns gear is the closest you can get to Arena Gear without getting Arena Gear.

PvE Gear - So you don't have Arena Gear and you don't have the cash for Crowns Gear, eh? Not to worry. You don't have to have it, it's just easier that way.

The best you can do is farm for your level 58 gear. This consists of:

Headdress of Dragon Fire - dropped by Queen Calypso
      Volatile Vestment - dopped by Ptolemos
      Dragonstalkers - dropped by Mithraya

This gear gives a total resist of 36% to ice and storm only. It also gives a total of 46% fire damage, 19% fire accuracy, 30 critical rating, and a total of 612 health!

Athames and Rings - Any athame with health, healing boost, and pips is very helpful. As for ring, I recommend the Briskbreeze ring. This ring comes with 5% more fire damange as well as pips and health. If this ring is not obtainable, go with more healing boost.

Amulets - The three best choices in PvP are Nightshade's Choker(two 30% weakness), Diadem of Dispair(two infections), and the new Scorched Talisman(one meteor and one wyldfire).

I, personally, prefer Nightshade's Choker. Stacking the 25% and 30% weaknesses is pretty effective against Balance wizards trying to power up. All the other ones listed are also pretty good choices.

Wands - I use a Fire Wand for removing shields. If I can't get Minion out, and Link isn't showing up, I can always wand. The main thing is to not be hampered by shields.

Pets and talents - A pet with resist is essential. Damage and accuracy boosts would also be preferable. Spritely is very good if it can be obtained, but its not necessary. An example of a good pvp pet would be Burnzilla.
      Training Points and You
      The hard truth is that if you don't spend them correctly, you'll flounder in PvP combat.
      Ice to Tower Shield - This is the bare minimum for PvP. We train it for two spells, Tower shield and Volcanic shield. These are absolutely essential for defending yourself, especially tower against Balance wizards and the Lady Judgement.

Life to Satyr - Sometimes you go second and it's just not possible to defend every attack with a shield. You will get smacked pretty hard, and healing is important.

Balance to Weakness - Some schools, such as Myth and Balance, are really tough to shield against. Layering Weakness helps you survive their big attacks.

Reshuffle - Besides the fact that the library version of this card is obscenely priced, the only way to be able to reshuffle infinitely is to train it and pack two in your deck. This is also the reason we want to train life, we want a never ending supply of heals.

Infection - This is another one of those spells I think are a necessity in PvP. If you can heal and your opponent can't, you are already winning the battle.

Elemental Blades - Double blading attacks can be pretty effective, if the chance arises.

Astral Shool - This is a big plus for us.

Amplify - +15% to all spells for 4 rounds. Its perfect, like a mini wyldfire. I use this when I don't want to waste pips using an elemental blade.

Fortify - -15% to incoming spells for 4 rounds. It adds 15% resistance to your gear. It's also a good counter for Amplify, and can be really helpful when hit by a powerful DoT spell.

Conviction - + 90% stun block and critical block. It's like a replacement for stun blocks. This can be used to protect against stun spells such as medusa, lord and giant. It also protects you from critical hits if your worried about that.
      Now we're trained, lets set up our deck.

I will share my deck with you, obviously yours will be different, depending on how you spent your training points. Also, I run a big deck. Some people love them, some people hate them. Fire is not one of the schools that gets fights over super fast, like Myth or Balance. I require more cards to get the job done.

This is my General PvP deck. Gets me through most arena matches. My rank has been "Overlord" for a while now. It's been pretty reliable.

Level 48-50

Level 58-60

As you can see with this updated version of the deck, I took out some shields. The reason for this is Efreet and Fortify make up for them. I also took out some satyr since pixie is overall a better healing card. Satyr is always good to have in main deck though. I added two more weaknesses since I've been using them to defend myself way more then shields. Only one reshuffle is needed now that it reshuffles itself.

Now that you have your deck set up, here is the fun part, how to use it.

Defense
      On some level, pvp comes down to who makes best use of their pips. Properly shielding will minimize your need to heal, and maximize the amount of pips you can devote towards obliterating your opponent.
      Strong Elemental Defense - This deck setup gives you a ton of defense against Storm wizards, especially due to storms lack of DOT spells. Have to watch out for Storm to Myth Prisms, however.

Against Fire and Ice you have reasonable defense between the towers and specific school shields. I try to use the actual Ice shields against Ice Wizards if I can. They love to steal tower shields, stealing ice shields is less useful.

Strong Spirit Defense - When fighting Death is really good to have some shields for them, since they love to boost and attack. Don't just start stacking the limited death shields we have because they will most likely hit us with a DoT spell. Wait till they are boosted. For death, as well as for other schools, as soon as you see a blade come up, slap a weakness on there, it will throw them off balance.

Myth..Gotta love Myth. I don't really worry about shielding against them. I Mainly shield against their minion. The best defense for Myth is to keep weakness on them, keep their bubble down, and do everything possible to shut down the double orthrus.

We don't really bump into a lot of life wizards in 1v1, but when we do, our only defense is tower and weakness. Its best to keep them on defense rather then offense. The best defense is offense.

Balance - This deck is about as strong against Balance Wizards as a deck can be. There are tons of them in the arena, they are more capable than anyone to kill you.

Defending Judgement - We have Tower shields to defend Judgement. If they apply Feint on top of our Tower, we have 55% Towers in treasure to stack. We have 25% weakness to throw at them as often as possible. We have 30% weakness to stack with the 25% weakness. We have "Steal Charm" to steal their balance blades. We also have the all mighty Efreet, this spell is very powerful against balance. It casts a 90% weakness on them, so their 1-hit judge days againsts fire wizards are over. Finally, we have Immolate. In the event that we just absolutely can't shield or weaken and we're getting traps put on us, we can Immolate them back off. Risky Business, but helpful.

Defending Hydra and Spectral Blast - We have plenty of Elemental shields. I suggest applying the Volcanic Shield as early as possible. It shuts down the bigger part of their elemental attacks.
      Offense
      We like this part.
      Traps - Forget traps, no traps. I know you are used to PvE where you can stack traps and blades and kill things in one hit. This is just not a solid technique for PvP.

Minions - We pack 4-5 minions, because Fire minion is an Elf Machine. He will spray a constant barrage of Fire Elf, which will give you opportunity to hit. Our minion also can buy us time by casting his 0-pip smoke screen. He also heals us, as well as shield us. What more can we ask for?

Love your minion. He has low health, shield him. I shield him before I shield myself if I'm not in immediate danger of dying from a big hit. The longer he is alive, the longer your opponent will be struggling to shield against you.

Blades -The problem with Blades and Traps in PvP is that people shield. We waste our Fire Blade when we have to wand or DOT shields down. Minion fixes that problem. He handles the shield, you blade up.

Keep a few Treasure blades in sideboard just in case you need to boost or stack more blades. Leave your minion take off shields and the hit unexpected.

Combination Attacks - We don't just cast Helephant or Efreet all Willy-Nilly. People know to shield when you get 6 pips, and they will. Even with minion out, we rarely attack as soon as we get the pips. It's the surest way to attack into a shield if you're going second.

Okay, but minion isn't out. How do I get around shields? We use Link. There's no sense in using Fire Elf when Link does the job AND removes infection. I carry lots of Link so I can attack well and heal well.

You cast Link, allow it to remove shields, and attack while it's still burning. Usually Helephant is our main attack. Sometimes an opponent is really good at guessing when you will shield, though. What to do in this situation?

Meteor - This is your main minion killer. Always keep these in side as well as in main deck. It kills most minions and also does damage to your opponent. If one doesnt kill minion, try two back to back.

Dragon - If we lead with Link and they are still guessing when we will attack and shielding, we use Dragon instead of Helephant. Why? Because almost Half of dragon happens after the initial hit. It is MUCH harder to shield the damage from dragon than it is to shield the damage from Helephant.

Another reason we keep Dragon in our deck is to kill other peoples minions. It's very hard to shield a minion against Dragon, since it happens over several rounds. We will use dragon mainly to take out those annoying death minions.

Immolate - Since you will probably have a Volcanic Shield on you most of the time, Immolate makes alot of sense. It's a good way to sneak in an attack on someone who is waiting for you to save up for Helephant or Dragon.

You will find that once you start facing players with high levels of resist(I.E. Commander Gear), that you start having to use combinations of attacks to do enough damage to kill. If you manage to cast Infection and then land a couple of big Helephants, your opponent should be pretty low on health. Now is the time to slam them with Immolate before they can heal or shield.

At any point in the game, it's a good way to keep your opponent on their toes.

WyldFire - There are some basic rules to using your bubble. Never use it against another Fire Wizard. That's just shooting yourself in the foot.

Dont use it too early, we want to be able to use it to overwrite other peoples bubbles, not to force them to overwrite ours. We certainly don't want to scare a Death Wizard into casting Doom and Gloom bubble on us.

Use it mainly to keep Balefrost down for Ice Wizards and Time of Legend down for Myth wizards.

The only time I suggest using it early is against Balance. Most of them don't even carry Power Play bubble, because it's useful to everyone.
      Healing
      Have to keep yourself alive somehow.
      Sprite - I absolutely love this spell. It's great for keeping your health up against Balance Wizards who want to run you down so they can kill you with Judgement. It heals almost the same as pixie for one pip its a really good way to save pips and keep your life up, thats why I keep a bunch in my deck.

If you'll notice we have three Sprite and five Link, this means you have enough cheap heals to break 8 infections. This is the maximum that can be carried by anyone. I also love Sprite for breaking an infection right before a Satyr.

Pixie - These are our main heal card with good boost it can heal over 500. They are perfect for recovering from big hits. Always keep some in side deck.

Satyr - We have him in deck along with reshuffle, we know that we won't run out of heals or cards in those long matches. Comforting, right? I suggest keeping two in treasure, same as before. Sometimes you can't afford to wait for your deck to cough one up.
      Last edited by Carlitos; 12-6-11 at 7:23:15 PM.

Nick is offline Legendary Wizard

• Nick's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jonathan ShadowWalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Duke Leo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Rain Beetle

Mood:
      Geeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Official Fire 1v1 Guide!

Can't wait to see your additions. Ty for taking over this project.
      Signature and Avi by Keelz

chris angle is offline Journeyman Wizard

• chris angle's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Christo Dragon
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Toby
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ghost hound
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Real nice guide people, I sometimes change my deck depending on what school I go against though.

Aphrodite is offline Master Wizard

• Aphrodite's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alexis W., Alexis SS, Alexis RB, Alexis S., Alexis J., Alexis N., Alexis R.
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Sun
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Don Lorenzo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Knight

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Nice! :P

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.

Susume is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Susume's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Suri WillowWard (Balance), Miranda RainWeaver (Ice), Eric Bear (Myth)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

In case people want to see the earlier discussion of Nick S.'s guide that Los has graciously agreed to take over, it can be found here: So You Want to be a Fire Warlord?

Sir Winterbreeze is offline Magus Wizard

• Sir Winterbreeze's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angel Winterbreeze
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Chico, Piggly
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Pet Egg, Brave Piggle
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Great Guide, This will really help my Fire wizard
      "I refuse to have a battle of the wits with someone who is unarmed"

Drake is offline Transcendent Wizard

• Drake's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan (Mist, Ash, Dark, Hex, Blood, Pyre, Emerald, Drake, Thistle, Emeraldthistle, Water) Jack Ash
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Orio
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Pioneer Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Carlos, want me to add it to the PvP Information Index?

Carlitos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Carlitos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Carlos ShadowFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Shadow
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Burnzilla
      ----

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Emerald View Post
      Carlos, want me to add it to the PvP Information Index?
      Please and thank you dylan.
      Last edited by Carlitos; 11-7-10 at 12:01:47 AM.

HydraBlood is offline Magus Wizard

• HydraBlood's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf WildHeart, Wolf Strongheart(fire apprentice), Wolf DarkHeart(JourneyMan Death)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wintertusk
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Sugar
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Frontier Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Fire 1v1 help guide!

Nice Guide Bro :D pretty good thinking and nick you are pretty good at thinking to
      ~Wolf
      Spoiler
      Faith in oneself is the best and safest course

SpaceBound is offline Journeyman Wizard

• SpaceBound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Allan DragonHammer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Helephant
      ----

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Fire 1v1 help guide!

Thanks man.

When your Fantastic like me, you'll understand.
      Rules Guides Forum Leaders

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast