Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The Day that Derby died - how could you KI?

Those that know me know that there are a few things I really hate - I hate drama, I hate hyperbole, and I have no time for people who know nothing but negativity. There's enough ridiculousness in the real world that I want to have none of it when I'm playing a game. So for everyone who has posted that the sky's falling because of some change that's come out my advices is always the same - relax and adjust.

Well, then the sky fell for me as KI put the final nail in the Derby coffin. After years of doing everything they could to destroy Pet racing by ignoring it, KI finally took some calculated steps to ensuring that Derby wouldn't just die off, but intentionally killed.

And finally, they did. Today was the day that Derby died.

As many know, the 5th age has brought many changes to PvP and for those listening on KI live, "PvP" was the a huge part of the discussion. What most probably don't know is that while ARENA PvP has moved onto the 5th Age, ranked Derby (it's also PvP!) has ceased to exist.

Here's how the PvP page looked for ages 1-4

Here's how the PvP page looks for the 5th age

No Derby at all because there are no 5th age derby ranks at all!

Oh, you can do a ranked race, but not only do you get no rank for winning, you get...

10 GOLD for a win! Not even ONE ticket! For reference, 10 gold is exactly what you used to get for LOSING. And if you don't get 1st place you get NOTHING!

How could you, KI? With absolutely NO point to racing - no tickets, no rank, and only enough gold to be an insult - Derby's fate has finally been sealed. Mission accomplished KI - well done.

No doubt someone at KI will say that there wasn't enough interest in Pet Racing, but for those of us who did enjoy racing we know that derby's demise wasn't because it wasn't fun but because KI ignored it from almost the moment it came out. While the Arena got new arenas, and new spells, and tournaments, and leaderboards, and new STUFF, Derby got NOTHING. Those who got into derby were stuck with all the glitches and all the issues that it came out with on day 1 and still we raced. KI could've done so much with Derby and over the years they've had so many opportunities to get people involved and yet at every possible moment they did nothing. Add a derby race to the Pet Promenade. Nope. Let players train pets by doing a PRACTICE derby race. Nope. Make a house with a customizable Derby course to become the ultimate game within a game. Nope.

But all the damage done from KI's previous neglect pales in comparison to what KI has done today. With the release of the 5th age, they haven't just given Derby the "Pirate101" treatment - they've introduced changes to the game to make derby obsolete.

I do realize in writing this that I'm in the minority here - most will say "meh" and wonder what's wrong with me. But while the game goes on for so many as if nothing has changed, there was a community of people who enjoyed derby that the game has abandoned. And, make no mistake - small as the community was, I bet you there were more people who enjoyed derby than there are people who actually enjoy fishing, and gardening, and photomancy all put together. People do those activities because they get stuff from them but people did derby because they liked it. Too bad that means nothing to KI.

@Sparck - why? And not just why, why has there been ZERO discussion about this? Ignoring derby we understand - after all, we're used to it - but not addressing this ANYWHERE seems cowardly. I realize that you've got a lot on your hands with this update, but you must've known this was coming and that some folks care about derby - would it have killed you to say something? If only someone at KI "Loved Derby"

@Vanessa Mythdust - how could you LET this happen! You know what the derby community was like - you were once one of us!

Sad day. Of course I'll move on - it's a bloody game after all - but I've put in enough hours in to creating derby pets, hosting derby gatherings, hosting Derby tournaments on Central, helping people learn to race, and advocating for Derby in every possible way that I've earned the right to rant. And rage.

And mourn.

How could you KI?

Casp
      Last edited by Caspeen; 4-29-22 at 12:08:35 PM. Reason: formatting, updating link

SeptenaryRavens is online now Master Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: The Day that Derby died - how could you KI?

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      I do realize in writing this that I'm in the minority here - most will say "meh" and wonder what's wrong with me. But while the game goes on for so many as if nothing has changed, there was a community of people who enjoyed derby that the game has abandoned. And, make no mistake - small as the community was, I bet you there were more people who enjoyed derby than there are people who actually enjoy fishing, and gardening, and photomancy all put together. People do those activities because they get stuff from them but people did derby because they liked it. Too bad that means nothing to KI.

This! Ranked PvP or Derby have never been side activities that I took a part in, but I do know that it was for a lot of people. Occasionally I would see Pet Warlords running around the spiral and would be happy to see people continuing to be a part of it; keeping it alive. But for KI to be the one to kill it doesn't sit right with me. "Balancing the PvP arena" has unfortunately drowned out the calls to improve derby since 4th Age began, and it's terrible that KI decided to dump derby overboard in favour of what in essence gives them the most money out of the two. The more KI changes the game, the more it feels like they're changing it for profit over enjoyment. All side activities should be created equal, but lately the money makes the moves.

And to add to your point earlier in your post, when the game itself literally kills your favourite side activity, there really isn't a way to "relax and adjust". 10 gold for a gold win isn't rewarding. It's like gardening a plant to only get 5xp.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Legendary Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs down Re: The Day that Derby died - how could you KI?

I'll come out and say that I've never been a fan of derby, but you guys don't deserve this! I really don't see why KingsIsle can't give the Players that pay for Derby Arena Tickets, or at the very least desirable rewards. Like at this point, KingsIsle is actively destroying their game and would be better off by doing nothing.

Why must this company take 101 steps backwards for every good idea they give us??

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

RookieRecurve is offline Master Wizard

• RookieRecurve's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ian Lionstalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Many

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

As was stated, Derby died because it was never given any real attention. If they had made derby offer some unique reward, it would have drawn people in. It did not deserve the neglect that it received. I remember when the energy gear you could buy was really helpful, and then jewel socketing came along, and negated a big reason for people to try derby. It would have only taken a small carrot to entice people to at least try it. This was a poor choice KI. It only required a small investment. Instead of inventing yet another pack, maybe you could have directed some attention to existing facets of the game?

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

10 gold. LOL. I'm crying right now.

This can't be real, right? Is that image shopped?

It's like winning your local marathon and the organizers award you whatever crusty lint and spare change they have in their pocket.
      Yet it cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory - Machiavelli // I also write my own stuff ~

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

How very sad, but really kind of human nature, to focus on fixing one aspect of a thing only winds up breaking something else.

So sorry...

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unhappy Re: The Day that Derby died - how could you KI?

Once again, the "new" KI stuck to the new pattern demonstrating how little they understand or respect the main payer base of W101. I wish beyond words that this was all a nightmare we could wake up to and find our beloved game was still there, but that wish is quickly being wiped from existence.

To think that something as major as The Pet Derby can be treated like this is mind boggling; but the fact that KI never said anything about it as they played the kids magician using the technique of "watch this hand" while the other is doing something sneaky is truly mind boggling. But the fact that through the entire test period no one noticed what had happened to Derby thanks to the misdirection is as bad as it gets...and in many ways even worse. I rarely played the Derby myself but the number of my in-game friends that LOVE playing Derby is scary, and the amount of time and "work" they put into creating their "perfect" pets was super admirable.

Like @Caspeen I have tried to ignore the negative complainers and such; instead trying to focus on the good things and hope that the bad things get fixed or taken care of. When people made personal attacks, then I did standup and voice my concerns and seek to defend the victims whether I knew or liked the victims or not; but now the issue with The Derby was another "stab in the back" and they are running out of room for new daggers.

"Relax and adapt" is very similar to my own comment of of "Adapt and adjust", but to be fully honest it is extremely difficult at best to follow either of them. I don't what, if anything, can be done but the one thing I do know is that KI is heading down the road to ruin and we are the ones paying the price at the toll booth on that road.

Lightdragon is offline Legendary Wizard

• Lightdragon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Liam RavenShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  artic fox

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

wow, just wow. I haven't done pet derby in years . but this is just bad.
      Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Daggerfiend is offline Novice Wizard

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

As someone who used to love derby and really wanted to get into it many years ago, it never had a pull to keep me wanting to do it for any benefit for my characters. Yet I still wanted to be enticed in. Derby was actually that last thing I enjoyed doing when I had stopped long ago. I just started playing again and haven't raced since as I would rather race friends that random people, but with this change, it almost feels completely worthless to do, as you could do about anything else while still hanging out with your friends and you'd be making more progress than this. It is a pure slap in the face for anyone that still wants to do derby, as it is essentially wasting your time unless you win, and then it still isn't worth it as you could defeat a lost souls and get that more than that in much less time.

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

This whole situation reminds me of Dominion and Twisted Treeline from League of Legends, two maps that were initially promoted as alternatives to Summoner's Rift but eventually got removed from the game due to Riot neglect. While I still enjoy watchin pro LoL their removal made me stop playing LoL as I don't enjoy SR or ARAM (All Random All Mid) as much as I did TT and Dominion. Youtuber Kudo made two videos discussing their history and downfall which is pretty relevant to KIs treatment of Pet Derby.

While I've always enjoyed the Pet Derby it is hard to find the motivation to play it when KI intentionally ignores it in favor or Arena and other stuff like packs. Hopefully this will be addressed soon but I won't hold my breath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast