No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: "We Stand with Ukraine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Mythdust View Post
      I donít normally reply to threads like this, but I feel like I could offer a valuable perspective given that I work for KI.

As much as society likes to villainize corporations, I think itís often forgotten that all corporations are made up of individuals. Individuals with their own strongly held beliefs, opinions, and ideas. Those beliefs donít suddenly disappear when they become an employee. Many people within a company fight strongly for what they believe in, thatís why you see strikes and walkouts in the news when people feel like theyíve been mistreated or their company did something morally wrong. Some of those strikes/walkouts result in change, some donít. But thereís always advocates fighting the good fight to try and make improvements either way.

In this particular case, I can say with certainty that the entire KingsIsle team was genuinely excited to be helping Ukraine. In fact, many people (including myself) dropped everything they were working on and just entirely focused on the charity initiative to get it done. As a result, we were able to pull all this together in just one week - which is crazy fast considering all the moving parts that needed to fall into place.

We actually have a partnership with a company based in the Ukraine Ö and we havenít heard from them since the conflict started. Nobody asked how it would affect business timelines, nobody got angry that they havenít responded, instead everyoneís reaction was ďoh my gosh, I hope theyíre okay. Iím really worried.Ē

I havenít encountered anyone at KI who hasnít treated this situation with care, empathy, and a willingness to help. As an employee, Iím very proud that weíre using our voice and community to help do some good. In fact, thereís quite a few more charity projects that weíve never done before that are in the pipeline. Each of those projects started with a conversation that went ďIt would be awesome if we could support this cause.Ē

There really are people out there who want to help, so please donít assume the worst of us. Most of the time these things come together because individuals in the company want to use the brandís position and influence to amplify the cause and have it reach more people and therefore more impact. Weíre stronger together, after all.

I canít speak for other companiesí projects- Iím sure some are definitely rooted in non-genuine gestures. That hasnít been what Iíve witnessed at KI though.

- Kayly
      While I appreciate the reply Vanessa, on a philosophical level I this is exactly what I dislike about current business practices. If a group of people are going to come together for activism, then there are no longer a business and are instead an activist organization. That's fine. Whether an entity wants to be for-profit or not is up to them; I do not subscribe to an economic theory that objects to that sort of thing, if you get my meaning. But if you are going to advance an outside cause, be an activist organization.

I find the notion of employees co-opting the goals of a business and then pivoting company resources toward political ends outside said organization to be an extremely troubling development. You may point to things such as fair workplace treatment and better transparency as justifications, but these are internal changes that foremost affects the company culture. Taking a stand on a particular political issue is often distinctly external and primarily affects societal culture.

To emphasize, I do not begrudge your motives or those of your fellow co-workersóin fact I think your intentions should be lauded. But I object to the idea that businesses and for-profit corporations should be taking a political stance not directly involving them.

I believe firmly that corporations do not have speech. Any and all statements from a for-profit corporation are marketing and branding. If it is neither, then it is not a for-profit corporation.

This is an ideological principle of mine that I am standing firmly on, despite the not-so-subtle jabs from others at my previous reply. Idealistic, perhaps. But having a firm ideological framework is important to me: if KI tomorrow started advocating for more democracy or more authoritarianism or more anarchism within a certain state I would be against it just as I am against this.

I am not going to compromise this principle to KingsIsle of all places just because alleviating the suffering of the Ukrainian peoples is a noble value that we both share.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Unbound View Post
      For years KI did not try to show support for minorities or causes, but last year they started doing what had not been done before. How can you judge them today for what could not have been reasonably done before? Until last year, the very idea of discussing Pride in the family based game was all but impossible, and yet they finally made it happen. Instead, you should be showing support for their efforts (No matter how great or small) and remember that any and all journeys begin with 1 small, tentative and simple step. With each additional step we find new strength and abilities as we go from trembling short steps to long strides that in turn become a full out run.

I appreciate your "concerns", but I think the needs of the people in the wake of the brutal atrocities deserve more support and attention than your "concerns". If you want to offer other ways for people to help, then do THAT instead of trying to find flaws where there are only "speculations" or "conspiracies".
      I'm not compromising here either. Even the framing of this being a "step" is something that concerns me; as if I think this political streak KI have been going on should continue! Companies. Have. No. Business. In. Politics. Full stop. They should strive to welcome all but be steadfastly neutral in judgement. I don't care if my views align with theirs or if they agree with me or are doing something I consider "right" or "just".

You reference KI's other statements this past year and my opinion towards those is the same. It makes me think that people have only been praising KI for the aforementioned statements because it harmonizes with their own political beliefs. In other words, KI has become a politically partisan organization.

But that's never what I wanted out of a game developer; I can turn on the T.V. and hear the exact same partisan cheerleading if I wanted.

From a game developer I want a good, fulfilling game. One that doesn't nickel and dime players and one that doesn't need to abuse its staff to reach greatness. The fact that people think this wish is problematic is itself astounding to me. Even more astounding, we are encouraged to forgive poor products because of their political affiliations! HAH!

This should be neutral ground. This should be a place where politics are sidelined. This should be a place where we are discussing our favorite childhood game and not praising nationalist cries. That is my "concern". That has always been my "concern". That politics is being inserted into everythingóis corrupting anything it gets its hands onóand yet few are objecting to it because they simply agree with what they're hearing rather than questioning why on earth a kid's video game needs to be politically involved.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 3-14-22 at 1:28:35 AM.
      Yet it cannot be called talent to slay fellow-citizens, to deceive friends, to be without faith, without mercy, without religion; such methods may gain empire, but not glory - Machiavelli // I also write my own stuff ~

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

While there's no doubt there are "political" ramifications of what's going on with Ukraine, it's also a humanitarian issue and that's why I applaud KI for the stand it's taking.

I mentioned previously that cynicism towards The Corporation is a good thing and most of this is because they lack a soul. Businesses exist to make money and after that all else comes second. I, for one, wish this weren't true. I, for one, wish Capitalism had more incentives to make the world better, not just make money, and while I don't think companies should have a voice in politics I wish more companies would factor human decency in the decisions they make. Voiceless but with a soul - that's the kind of companies I like to support.

I realize there are lots of complications to parsing politics from good intentions but I firmly believe - and @Vanessa Mythdust corroborates - that KI was doing this for humanitarian and NOT political reasons.

They may hate Derby but I'm glad that my money is going to a company that has a soul.

Now, fix Derby.

Please.

Casp
      Last edited by Caspeen; 3-14-22 at 10:22:52 AM.

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Sad2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: "We Stand with Ukraine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      While there's no doubt there are "political" ramifications of what's going on with Ukraine, it's also a humanitarian issue and that's why I applaud KI for the stand it's taking.

I mentioned previously that cynicism towards The Corporation is a good thing and most of this is because they lack a soul. Businesses exist to make money and after that all else comes second. I, for one, wish this weren't true. I, for one, wish Capitalism had more incentives to make the world better, not just make money, and while I don't think companies should have a voice in politics I wish more companies would factor human decency in the decisions they make. Voiceless but with a soul - that's the kind of companies I like to support.

I realize there are lots of complications to parsing politics from good intentions but I firmly believe - and @Vanessa Mythdust corroborates - that KI was doing this for humanitarian and NOT political reasons.

They may hate Derby but I'm glad that my money is going to a company that has a soul.

Now, fix Derby.

Please.

Casp

I agree with you on this. There are many, TOO many companies out there that help others only when it directly benefits them and their "bottom line". That being said, I do not think KI is one of those companies and they have shown a solid history of supporting various foundations like Make A Wish and more; enough so to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven or demonstrated otherwise.

My main point in my posts surrounds the need to throw a wet blanket on a good cause. While there are always politics involved in war, those politics are in reality a cover for those who would oppress others in a quest for power, land, profit and to dominate/control others. This applies to all wars AND even current political groups as we have seen especially demonstrated here in the USA over the last few decades since the 2 main political parties have stopped working together for the good of the people and instead have fallen back on the politics being a cover for their own individual desires.

What is happening in Ukraine has an overwhelming HUMANITARIAN need and focus as innocent people, including children, have become targets in a power grab of one single person. The Russian people are restricted in the truth of what is happening and personally, I do not hold them accountable; rather is is their "great leader" and those who follow him in his deadly and inhuman quest.

The issue that was brought up about our children not having to be subjected to such things is exactly how such things happen in the first place. Children need to be able to have safe and innocent lives; but at the same time they need to understand the realities of the world around them. Some things are beyond a children's full understanding, and yet we find ways to teach them enough to keep them safe such as to not talk to strangers. Children who grow up too shielded from the world end up not being prepared for that world and become victims themselves.

In America, this same overly protective attitude has resulted in far too many people who do not fully understand or appreciate the benefits they have here.They have started to take freedoms for granted and lost respect and understanding those same freedoms and where they come from...worse yet, they have forgotten that one persons freedoms end where another persons freedoms begin.

There is a time and place for everything,this is a time to stand up and support innocent people who are being eliminated from existence; not a time to criticize or make unfounded/unsubstantiated assumptions/accusations about those who are trying to provide humanitarian aid. In the future, if those people who were making the effort to help are proven to have been acting out of the wrong motivations, then and ONLY then do we take up that very vital and important issue. Being cautious and looking for possible problems is a very important thing we should all be doing, but at the same time we should not "cry wolf" at every corner.

So now I ask everyone to stop the debate and focus on the real need here...helping and showing overwhelming love and support to these people who are being slaughtered and to their families around the world. If you must debate the issue further, please start a new thread that follows the Forum guidelines and leave this thread to be some measure of hope (No matter how great or small) for those in need of aid and comfort.
      Last edited by AluraMist; 3-14-22 at 2:20:48 PM. Reason: Removed graphic Images and argumentative comments.

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a pretty cynical person (I'm trying to be less of that though), and I do understand both arguments being made here. On one hand it is a nice surprise that KI is doing this, and while there's lots of stuff they deserve to be criticized for, given their track record with donating to various charities and helping out with Make-A-Wish I think we can give them the benefit of the doubt here in this instance until hard proven otherwise. On the other hand I do see how KI joining the ranks of those eager to drop what they're doing, support Ukraine and sanction Russia can come across as bandwagoning while also showing an apparent political bias of not doing so with other conflicts going on in the world.

I do agree that politics shouldn't influence games & game companies, & in an ideal world they wouldn't. Unfortunately given how most things these days are considered political that's just not the world we live in currently. At the same time though I feel there's a fine line between a decision being clearly political and simply calling something you don't like political. Also, given how many wars and conflicts in general are going on in the world these days it's pretty unreasonable to expect a company to drop everything they're doing to support all of them, hence why most have to be careful in which causes they choose to support. As for donating to better companies, obviously KI wouldn't be the first choice, but if we're being honest here how many so-called charities or non-profits are actually using the money to actually help people out rather than just to primarily line their pockets?

TL;DR KI has made many decisions they deserve to be criticized for, but at the same time they've made many decisions they deserve to be praised for, and while their choice to support Ukraine may come across as bandwagoning when they haven't done so with other conflicts, we can't reasonably expect them (or any company really) to take a side in every single conflict out there. At the end of the day while there's nothing wrong with having some skepticism, before calling something political we should try to ask ourselves this question: Is this decision actually politically motivated or is it not and I'm just looking for an excuse to call this decision I don't like politically motivated?

AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thank you everyone for voicing your opinions and keeping this topic active. And thank you for all of those who chose to support this idea by donating on the wizard101.com website.

Just one word of caution -- to quote one of the previous replies --
      " ... So now I ask everyone to stop the debate and focus on the real need here... ".

AluraMist
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123