WarZone is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

What were the changes to "May Cast" Talents?

After returning to the game after a break of several years, I'm still trying to "re-learn" everything and adjust to all the changes that have been implemented in my absence.

One in particular is pet "May Cast" talents. Several years ago, it was common for a "May Cast" talent to trigger several times in a match, and even a single turn. Because of the casting frequency, they were even essential for competitive PvP.

However, I've noticed that these "May Cast" talents now trigger a lot less frequently. And I mean A LOT less. I just completed a 30-45 minute duel in which my pet (with 3 "May Cast" talents) didn't trigger a single time, which is quite different from how I remember him performing in the past (or maybe he was cranky that I left him for so long and that was his way of paying me back).

Does anyone know what the rate of "May Cast" talents is now? Additionally, is there a changelog somewhere that I could reference to review recent changes to the game?

Yumazuka is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: What were the changes to "May Cast" Talents?

I was also gone for a pretty long time, but what I've noticed is that May-Cast talents are more or less the same. I've seen someone's Legion Shield May-Cast be used a whole lot in the same battle. It might just be bad luck, but this is just from my perspective.

For your second question, though, maybe using the main site's News might help you, since you can go by month. You'll find where you left off pretty easily this way, I feel. https://www.wizard101.com/game/news

WarZone is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Yumazuka View Post
      I was also gone for a pretty long time, but what I've noticed is that May-Cast talents are more or less the same. I've seen someone's Legion Shield May-Cast be used a whole lot in the same battle. It might just be bad luck, but this is just from my perspective.

For your second question, though, maybe using the main site's News might help you, since you can go by month. You'll find where you left off pretty easily this way, I feel. https://www.wizard101.com/game/news
      I did a little digging and found a "Developer Diaries" page under the Community News tab on the main website. Then I found the Article titled, "Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta Developer Diary".

Here, I found the following:

This is a good time to state up front that we have and will continue to “nerf” maycasts for PvP as problems arise.
      As discussed above, maycasts have had their trigger logic reviewed again.
      Maycast trigger logic has been forked into PvP and PvE settings, and PvP triggers generally fall into one of two categories: active or reactive maycasts. “Active” maycasts help a player keep or build offensive tempo. They trigger only when you are the spellcaster (thus, no more spamming during team play) only when the spell target is an enemy (no more spamming self-targeted spells to trigger a maycast), and only after your trigger spell is successfully cast (no fizzles and no passes).“Reactive” maycasts will help slow down your opponent or shift tempo back to you. They trigger in response to your opponent’s actions (eg buffing himself or damaging you) and only when your opponent successfully casts his trigger spell. These maycasts typically have the same trigger % as other maycasts, but because they only trigger immediately after your opponent successfully completes his trigger action, they will appear to trigger more often – that is to say, when they trigger, it will be memorable. These spells don’t seem to happen at just the right time – they literally only happen at the right time. Examples here would include Steal Charm or Steal Ward, which activate in response to your opponent casting a blade or shield; or a maycast Shield or Heal that activates in response to you getting hit.
      The exact percentage of a Maycast talent's chance of casting after a trigger remains unknown, but I'm almost certain that it has also seen an adjustment in addition to its trigger logic.

----

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by WarZone View Post
      I did a little digging and found a "Developer Diaries" page under the Community News tab on the main website. Then I found the Article titled, "Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta Developer Diary".

Here, I found the following:

The exact percentage of a Maycast talent's chance of casting after a trigger remains unknown, but I'm almost certain that it has also seen an adjustment in addition to its trigger logic.
      Unless I'm reading this wrong, it doesn't look like May-Cast has changed for Player-versus-Enemy. It is true that some of the May-Casts only react to certain actions. Some exceptions being Spritely that likes to spam itself so often that those animations take longer than the battle themselves, haha. Overall, some May-Casts are finicky, just like always, I feel.

Sometimes you can go a whole battle without any of your May-Casts activating, even when you want them to be. But I've experienced them activating pretty often during enemy fights. I don't think the percentage has ever been recorded, to my knowledge. I'm not sure how you'd account for that kinda thing, really, haha. Could always dig around our wikia to see if it's listed anywhere on any of the May-Cast pages.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Yumazuka View Post
      Unless I'm reading this wrong, it doesn't look like May-Cast has changed for Player-versus-Enemy. It is true that some of the May-Casts only react to certain actions. Some exceptions being Spritely that likes to spam itself so often that those animations take longer than the battle themselves, haha. Overall, some May-Casts are finicky, just like always, I feel.

Sometimes you can go a whole battle without any of your May-Casts activating, even when you want them to be. But I've experienced them activating pretty often during enemy fights. I don't think the percentage has ever been recorded, to my knowledge. I'm not sure how you'd account for that kinda thing, really, haha. Could always dig around our wikia to see if it's listed anywhere on any of the May-Cast pages.
      I have to say, I believe that it was reduce in PVE. I have pets that would go nuts specially with DoTs and now they hardly cast heals even with these types of hits. Even in the Deckalathon event, I notice best healers hardly heal.

It's really sad, players put in a lot of time making these pets to help them quest and what not, only to have them hardly help.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

----

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I don't think I've ever tried any of it in a Deckalathon event, especially since I've only done it, like, once and never returned to it. I feel like I'm missing something out there, haha. But, regardless. Maybe my experience with it lately is skewed? Like, my Life's Fairy May-Cast has been used a lot more than it did back then, which is weird to me. I guess the Spritely has gone down a bit, but it's usually a battle-by-battle situation for me. Sometimes it does it a lot. Sometimes not. Sometimes never. My memory is telling me it's been the same thing back then.

But if they actually did change it in PvE, then it's kinda sad, indeed. You work hard to get pets to a certain way, especially since they raised the prices so ginormously for hatching. I hated coming back to hatching from kiosks being so expensive. I don't understand why they raised it so much when you generally don't spend Crowns in the kiosk. It's just Gold.

Kingurz is offline Adept Wizard

• Kingurz's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew Deathshade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fierce Hound
      ----

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      I have to say, I believe that it was reduce in PVE. I have pets that would go nuts specially with DoTs and now they hardly cast heals even with these types of hits. Even in the Deckalathon event, I notice best healers hardly heal.

It's really sad, players put in a lot of time making these pets to help them quest and what not, only to have them hardly help.
      Some of the may casts were reduced in PvE (maybe not intentionally). Guiding Armor may cast no longer casts at all now since the update mentioned above.

Honestly, I've found since the update above that May Casts in general (regardless of PvE, PvP) is simply not rated at the "value" as it was before. Going with pure stats on a pet is clearly a "safe" option from consistent dev nerfing. It's ironic too, given that most of the Crowns/Bundle wands with May Casts are "valued" with real money costs in mind for the power of the may cast, but wands are "triggered" even less than pet may casts (since they are ONLY triggered on wand hits and not other actions from opponents and teammates).
      Last edited by Kingurz; 1-19-22 at 9:32:44 PM.

unicorngirl is offline Initiate Wizard

• unicorngirl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Deirdre Willowtail
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

while i was farming, someone from team up had a pet that cast a lot. we all said "nice pet" and he said keeping the happiness of a pet high helps with frequency of casts. i don't know if this is true, but i have paid more attention to feeding my pet during deckathalons just to be safe.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by unicorngirl View Post
      while i was farming, someone from team up had a pet that cast a lot. we all said "nice pet" and he said keeping the happiness of a pet high helps with frequency of casts. i don't know if this is true, but i have paid more attention to feeding my pet during deckathalons just to be safe.
      I wish I could agree with this. I thought that might be a trigger and I kept the happiness always full with snacks that my pet is known to love, but it still would not heal.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

TIMMEH is offline Legendary Wizard

• TIMMEH's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  timothy lifebane
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  baby belle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  pink pixie

Mood:
      Relaxed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      I wish I could agree with this. I thought that might be a trigger and I kept the happiness always full with snacks that my pet is known to love, but it still would not heal.
      I have found no evidence that the happiness meter helps at all with healing I have a quad damage pet with Fairy Friend that casts more often than my quint healer go figure lol The damage pet has no happiness and the quint is full. KI logic at it's finest.