AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

"The great Lemuria Story Thread!"

From the Wizard101 website: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/head...a895d1f?page=1

Jan 07, 2:16 PM

The great Lemuria StoryThread!

Hello Wizards!

So Lemuria is out, and it's been seen by many - thanks to streaming, anybody can watch it. It touches upon some of my favorite source material ever, and I had a lingering feeling early on that the players would have a wide range of opinions about it.

Was I right? What do you think of the world? Any questions about stuff I can answer? Any and all feedback is welcome, as we prepare to break ground on [REDACTED]!

Bring them questions on!

The Curator
      Developer
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: "The great Lemuria Story Thread!"

Honestly, top tier level and among my top 5 favorite worlds. I'm glad the Ki team did their somewhat philosophical research during this world on and the puns were well written in my opinion. I enjoy the powerful story that can come out of exploring enigmas and mystery, Daesin basically narrating the thoughts and concerns was a nice touch. The ending was a good twist but if I could add something to the world, I would probably add a part in between the 8 heroes turning on us and us defeating them, extending with an epilogue. Back in the arcanum when "something" was happening, leaving it on a cliff note was a good idea...

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Simon
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Life Wartle

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I haven't finished yet - still in Heap - but so far I really like the story. The writing is top notch. The graphics of each area of the world having familiar-yet-unfamiliar vibes is great.

My problem is with the lack of casual side questing available, or that side quests were locked until AFTER we've been through the area. We've been conditioned through the first two story arcs that these little quests were plentiful and varied, and gave us something to do if we didn't have a lot of time for a dungeon or whatever. I don't really understand why that had to change in these past few worlds.

Interesting side quests gave us unique housing item rewards, or pets, or a bit of experience, so there was a small incentive to complete them, if not for our own enjoyment and completion satisfaction. Lemuria side quests that only lead to dungeons with cheating bosses got to be repetitious and didn't really feel like they added any enjoyment to the world -- other than the Scriptkeeper quests, which came early enough and were so cleverly written that even though I needed help to get through them I liked doing those. The rest seem cookie-cutter and only more battles just for battle's sake. I didn't learn anything about those areas by doing the side quests, didn't get

Can the next world hark back just a bit to the fun and whimsy of the early worlds, giving us fun reasons to explore and spend time there?

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Oxnhorse is offline Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I kind of got the idea that our Wizard is viewed like an anti-Messiah character because of the last fight inside the building where we placed the 6 attunement stones; that was unnerving to me.

And for all the complaining of reused material, I loved how the areas were reused for a secondary purpose and it seemed so much cooler than the original.

I don't understand why we are meant to take more damage based off our defensive stats, that really messes with me; but I do love that our no auction gear can be sold in Lemuria.

I can also see, that before Wizard City was organized, the Heap was a mishmash of worlds thrown together with the enemies not really having a designated route (Talon would run through an empty space and possible enemies would materialize) which was rather annoying.

Oxnhorse

AstralFrost is offline Initiate Wizard

• AstralFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew Redstaff, Rogan Owlfist, Karic Sprite
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Doodle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Armored Skeleton

Mood:
      Secret

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I put this on the W101 Forum thread as well but my main question on the Lemuria storyline is:

Why wasn't Headmaster Ambrose involved in the story line at all?

I understand this may have been as simple as they couldn't get ahold of the voice actor or something, and it wouldn't work out but that seems unlikely.

I always used to love how after completing a world you would go and speak to Ambrose to update him on what you had accomplished in that world. It just felt like it wrapped the world up really well even if it is just a few seconds of dialog.

I understand that now we are no longer students at Ravenwood but I wished they would have involved Ambrose in some way, even if it was just a single quest.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???
      AstralFrost
      Keep The Spiral FROSTY

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Serpent

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I enjoyed the world, and I liked how because of the nature of Lemuria you could see where bits and pieces of different worlds are used in Lemura's creation, such as Khrysalis' Khonda Desert for example. The characters were also charming in their own way, and narratively I enjoyed Daseins company, though his end felt anti-climactic honestly, though maybe that was the intention. There were also many references that I thought were neat, such as one to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Gameplay wise I never found too many of the mainline fights too difficult, though there were a couple that took me many tries to beat solo simply because the infuriating minions respawned for the 3v1 fights when in other fights they didn't rather than cause of any possible cheats (looking at you Jailor). Side bosses are another story, though I understand they're meant to be done in a group.

Overall a decently balanced world with plenty to enjoy if you know where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFrost View Post
      I put this on the W101 Forum thread as well but my main question on the Lemuria storyline is:

Why wasn't Headmaster Ambrose involved in the story line at all?

I understand this may have been as simple as they couldn't get ahold of the voice actor or something, and it wouldn't work out but that seems unlikely.

I always used to love how after completing a world you would go and speak to Ambrose to update him on what you had accomplished in that world. It just felt like it wrapped the world up really well even if it is just a few seconds of dialog.

I understand that now we are no longer students at Ravenwood but I wished they would have involved Ambrose in some way, even if it was just a single quest.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???
      We've long since left Ambrose behind, with us becoming Bartleby's Scion the last loose end to tie up in Ravenwood (and Wizard City in general) if I'm not mistaken. Because of that there's really no need or reason to shoe-horn in a talk to Ambrose just because a small group of people want a reason to talk to him again. If the story naturally calls for it and it makes sense to use him over someone else then sure, but until that happens no.

KingNothing is offline Legendary Wizard

• KingNothing's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chris Fireheart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Gloomy Eye
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Overall I really enjoyed Lemuria. Great job. Here are some additional thoughts:

• I'm still not sure how I feel about the run-up to the worlds. In some ways, I really like the mystery and rumor leading to a new world and then just having it drop on us. In other ways, the little quests and stories introducing us to the world can be fun, but a little drawn out. I'm old fashioned though and would probably prefer the drop.
      • Telos was great and a good gathering spot for the world. The Lemurs were a great choice as a focal species for the world.
      • The Wildlands is an interesting "middle" and aesthetic spot for Lemuria. I enjoyed passing through from time to time and the interesting mix of creatures was a great recall to older worlds mashed up and into Lemuria.
      • Ursai was quick. I enjoyed it, but it seemed really quick and I felt the story in this area could have been extended. The Bears were a surprise and nice addition to this Floating Land look-a-like.
      • Night Forest was fun and thanks for separating out the cheating bosses. I'm a casual player and have no interest in these bosses, so being able to skip and hide them in the storyline is a plus for me. Again, it was quick. I like these type dark, scary places and found myself wanting more story from the Night Forest.
      • Not a fan of the Badlands and Mandoria. I'm just not a desert-theme type of guy. The story continued well, but I found myself rushing through this area because of the aesthetics and creatures. I see it's relevance, but could have skipped it.
      • The Heap was another area I could have taken more. Again though, these dark and scary places are a favorite of mine. I really liked the cows here. Such an interesting and unexpected choice. just made it fun for me. Love the Shadoe, but could have used an Alec Baldwin feel too. I like him. He's funny on SNL.
      • Sky City. Who doesn't love the Platypus? and making them technologically advanced was genius. Not a fan of the boss in this world, but I'm on the record as being a casual player and against cheating bosses. Thankfully that giant sugar cube was a side note. Thank you
      • Lastly, the old one got to be a beating for me. Love the look and the idea, but it was a little much for me. The popping up all the time, constant odd speaking - just not me. Again, I see and understand the story and need, but he wasn't my cup of tea.
      “Maybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale.”