• Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
        CelestialMoon is offline W101C Tournament Master

• CelestialMoon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Esmee Fire/Sky/Storm-Blossom, Legendblade, Willoweyes, Mythcaster, Shadow/Legend/Winter-Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  All different kinds

Mood:
      Cheeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

2021 Holiday CHEER Writing Contest

Tis the Season!!

Welcome to another edition of holiday creative writing. In this edition we will create and share short stories that spread holiday cheer for everyone to enjoy!

Rules
      • 1 entry limit per person
      • Entries must be original and not copied from another entry.
      • Entries should be no longer than 500 - 600 words.
      • Entries should be short stories that inspire, uplift and spread holiday cheer.
      • Art/illustration that supports your story can be included but is not a requirement.
      • Contest will end December 31st at 11:59pm Central time.

Prizes
      • 1st Place - 20,000 Crowns
      • 2nd Place - 10,000 Crowns
      • 3rd Place - 5,000 Crowns
      • 4th Place - 1,000 Crowns + 1 Yuletide Pack
      • 5th Place - 1,000 Crowns + 1 Yuletide Pack

Any questions? Please contact CelestialMoonvia private message or visitor message.

stan914 is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lucky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: 2021 Holiday CHEER Writing Contest

Once there was a prosperous king. Every year, he threw a lavish feast for several days leading up to Christmastide, inviting the nobility to taste succulent pigs, puddings, and all they could eat. As a gesture of generosity, the king also invited a single peasant to the feast for what should be the best meal of the peasant’s life. Year after year, the king would invite a random serf and promptly forget about them for the rest of the affair.
      Yet, one year, the peasant made himself unforgettable. He refused to eat anything. At first, the king was surprised, but surprise soon gave way to anger. He thundered, “Who art thou to offend Us in this way? We are thy king!”
      “Sire,” the peasant responded, “you are indeed my liege. And I am sure your fare is beyond compare. Yet, I must ask milord if you even know my name? No? Then I beg your pardon sire, for I find your table lacking. It has wealth and prestige, but no heart. Were you not king, would any have come?”
      The king interrupted, “Yet, We are King. And ‘twere any other time, thou wouldst face the stocks at the least for thy remarks. As it is, begone!” The king’s guards tossed the peasant out, but his words were less easily dismissed.
      As the king’s anger cooled, he began to question himself. He disguised himself as best he could, taking servant garbs and tearing them to wear and smudging dirt on his face. He went to the keep of a nearby noble and asked for entry: “Sir, I beseech you. Pray give me refuge from the cold for the wind bites at my back.”
      The seneschal sneered, “Get thee hence. My lord is far too busy for the likes of thee. Christmas approaches, and we have a feast to prepare.”
      The disguised king responded, “But sir, I have a table and fare aplenty. You may celebrate with me.” The door slammed in his face in reply.
      Angry and dejected, the king took to the streets. “Fie, then, fie on them,” he growled to himself. Soon, he found himself approaching a large bonfire near a Christmas tree in the village square. A large number of people gathered there, sharing food, singing songs, and making merry. One broke off to meet the king, “Hail friend and well met, come join the festivities!”
      The king responded, “I have nothing to bring, no food nor joy.”
      “Then come and take both for we have plenty.” Their table had some provisions, but the king could see their fare was poor. He looked further and saw the joy of the people, more than enough to make such poor food seem a feast. And his heart went out for them who would invite even a stranger to join them. He quietly made arrangements for his servants to bring the feast he had prepared to the peasants, smiling as he watched their joy reach new bounds of delight.
      One peasant approached, and the king saw him as the one he threw out the night before. The king spoke first, “I have seen your table and found it more to my liking this day. This then shall be my tradition. Instead of bringing one to my feast, I shall bring my feast to all.”
      “I am glad you have learned milord. It is in giving that we receive.” And the peasant vanished. The king looked around and saw naught but a star twinkling overhead. He smiled and said to all who could hear, “Merry Christmas”

Pegasus Unbound is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Red face Re: 2021 Holiday CHEER Writing Contest

Sometimes, as the years pass, we do things more out of habit than anything else.

It’s another Christmas morning and as usual I woke up, went to the kitchen and sat down to my first cup of coffee for the day. Looking over my counter into the living room I could see the same little tree I have put up for the last 45 years. Living alone for 25 years, my own needs are simple and few; and so are the decorations. There are a few holiday cards piled up on the table next to the little tree with no presents under it.

Each year it is the same thing, the only things that change are the years on the calendar and the number of white hairs on my head; I take that back, earlier this year a cute young couple moved into the house next door with their 6 year old boy. For some reason, when I would go get my mail or anything else outside, he would come running up to hug me while calling me “Papa Van”. His parents had explained once that they were a family of “huggers” and that while they had taught him to be careful around strangers, he seemed fixated on his “Papa Van”.

Today as I sat with my coffee, something just felt different but I could not quite put my finger on just what it was. After pouring another cup of coffee I went to the living room to watch my favorite holiday movie “A Christmas Carol” starring Alistair Simms. After the movie was over, it was time to start thinking about what to do for lunch, so I went out front on the porch and settled down with another cup.

After a few minutes I heard the familiar little voice calling out “Papa Van” and before I knew it, he was curled up on my lap giving me that loving smile I had come to cherish. In his hands was a box all wrapped up in Christmas paper and a bow. “This is yours and I want you to open it right now!” he said; I could not refuse so I opened it up. He kept squirming in excitement as I opened it; inside was a collection of drawings all done with crayons.

One by one we looked at each of them; there must have been 20 of them showing his friends and family. He took so much pleasure explaining each and every one of them; finally we reached the bottom of the box where there was a big envelope. I looked at him and he just smiled and told me that this was “the mostest importantest one of all”. I opened the envelope and inside was a piece of paper folded in half; as I unfolded it I saw a drawing that looked like a house with a person sitting in front of it and another standing next to them.

That’s your house “Papa Van” and that’s you and me. My real Grand Papa went to heaven but God gave me you to be my new Papa here on earth.” He then pointed up in the top corner of his picture and said “See, that my real Grand Papa in heaven watching over us all”. All I could do was hug him tight as tears filled my eyes.

Sometimes things become habit, but sometimes a miracle reminds us why these habits are so important; Christmas has a new meaning now that I will always cherish...thanks to one little boy.

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Tomorrow

Leftenant Burke awoke to the soft crackling of flames. A sea of orange burst into her vision as she shook a worn blanket from her body and sat up upon the stiff floorboards. Brutal night winds hurled themselves against the lumber walls of the cabin with a tenacious fury.

“Gave us a fright, you did.” A mellow voice rang out amongst the din, and she turned to see three small figures eyeing her carefully. They were pingouins—the inhabitants of Polaris—she was sure of it.

“My grandchildren here found you washed up on that nearby shore some ways out.” The middle bird raised a flipper and motioned in an arbitrary direction. The shore…?

Then the memories flooded back to her. The crew. The expedition. The ice floe. The crash. The embrace of the sea as she was jettisoned from the ship. Franklin. Barrow. Crozier. Oh Bartleby, where were they?

The subtle squelching of her waterlogged blankets returned her mind to the present. Suddenly she was grateful—so uncommonly grateful.

“We look out for each other,” the grandfather said, acknowledging her thanks.

One of the grandchildren moved toward her with food and drink in hand. The bowl was a simple, wooden thing that had seen much use. Yet it’s contents—a steaming fish soup promising hot supper and warmth—were worth its weight in gold. She gulped it down excitedly as if it were the finest Marleymite that Regent’s Square had to offer. It was only after the meal had vanished that a semblance of manners returned to her, and she resigned to taking polite sips of pine needle tea.

The elder laughed heartily as he noticed the details. Quickly afterward, however, a slight frown manifested itself upon his face. “It’s tradition for us pingouins to present a gift for weary travelers. I’m afraid though,” the elder paused his speech while giving a cursory glance around the dingy house, “that we don’t have much to offer.”

“What about a song, Grandpop? She’ll enjoy one of them.” The senior pingouin feigned a scoff at the childish suggestion, his eagerness apparent.

“Go on, Grandpop,” the other grandchild chimed. “Give us a song if the lighting’s right.”

The wrinkled bird broke into a weary grin before easing into a series of tender and comforting tunes that seemed to rival the toastiness of the fireplace. Subjects drifted melodically between working mines and timber and all such quaint things. His voice drew high and low with the trained finesse of a lifetime. Meanwhile Burke sat enchanted, defrosting paws encircling the steaming cup of tea, as sounds danced playfully in that little cabin; the rickety walls echoed with tales of a nostalgic past that remembered a time when days were simpler and needs were few. Even the hurried winds quieted their rage and nestled in to listen.

And then it was over. The explorer placed her empty cup gingerly on a nearby table before joining the audience in applause.

“All right. All right, kiddos. Time for sleep.”

Burke was about to settle back onto the floor when a weathered flipper led her to a bed. It proved impossible to argue with the old bird: no living guest in his house would be sleeping floor-side.

The bed, although an awkward fit, enveloped her in coziness. Her host tucked her in with all the care and consideration of a reunited grandparent, as a tiny smile wiggled onto her lips. Petty difficulties melted away into the sheets—and wishes of a good night’s rest exchanged themselves between that new family. Then sleep took her.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

titus is offline Initiate Wizard

• titus's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Spark Beast
      ----

Mood:
      Meh!

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Letter to Santa

Lola sat at her window looking at the stars. As usual she couldn't sleep. She never could at a new foster home. So far this one seemed okay. She was the only kid so it was a bit lonely, but she had her own room.

Mrs. Wilson seemed alright, but cold and business like. There were no signs of anger or worse, just a distance and a sense of loneliness. Lola figured like a lot of foster parents Mrs. Wilson was in it for the money. But there was plenty of decent food and not too many chores. Her room was nice and Mrs. Wilson bought her some clothes. They were thrift store but still nice.

It was just three weeks until Christmas and Lola wasn't expecting anything. She was just glad Mrs. Wilson and her social worker agreed she could wait until after the holiday break to start at her new school.

The only thing making her mad was her social worker's insistence that she write to Santa. She's fourteen years old and disgusted at being forced to write to Santa Claus like a little kid. She complained but the social worker and Mrs. Wilson insisted. She told them she was too old but they wouldn't listen.

She didn't tell them that last year was the first year she hadn't written a letter. She'd been asking for the same thing since she was four years old. She had desperately wanted a permanent family and home. Every year she watched that Christmas miracle movie where they put Kris Kringle on trial and the little girl wants him to get her a house. She gets her miracle of course.

Last year Lola finally accepted it would never happen for her. Nobody wants to adopt teenagers. She would be out of the system and on her own in less than four years.

She decided to get it over with and sat at her desk to dash off her letter to Santa.

Dear Santa,

I don't want anything for Christmas. Nobody, not even you, can give me the only thing I really want. I've been asking for the same thing for nine years and every year I'm disappointed. I don't expect anything anymore.

Sincerely,
      Lola

Maybe that's a little harsh, Lola thought, but she knew she was going to age out of the system when she turned eighteen. There was no point hoping for anything different. She just needed to grow up and accept it.

December 26
      Lola sat at her window looking at the stars. As usual she couldn't sleep. Yesterday was Christmas and she didn't get her miracle family and permanent home. She knew she wouldn't, but really things weren't too bad.

In the three weeks she'd been here Mrs. Wilson had warmed up quite a bit. She told Lola to call her Stella. She'd introduced Lola to her new best friend, Olivia. There had actually been quite a few presents under the tree yesterday, including some nice new clothes and some new things for her room. And best of all Stella said she hoped Lola could stay until she aged out.

It wasn't what she'd hoped for all those years, but it was pretty good. Maybe Santa had come through after all. She knew she needed to be grateful for what she had. As Lola drifted into contented sleep she was thinking about the thank you note that she needed to write to Santa tomorrow.

-------------
      thanks for the contest,
      titus

Efrat is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Efrat's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Elizabeth Night
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire

Mood:
      Cheerful

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Buddy didn't like the holiday season. He didn't understand what all the fuss was about.
      He knew Santa wasn't real, so why did everyone pretend he is? Everyone knew it was your parents that put the presents under the tree. And if you didn't get any presents then I guess you didn't have parents. Or a tree.

That's why he never liked "The Giving Tree" story. He heard it once from a kindergarten's window. It made him frown." Pathetic fool," he told the tree. "You shouldn't give unless you get something back." Better yet, something better. It's a bargain, that's what it is. That's why he never understood why presents would suddenly pop under a tree if he didn't give the tree anything first. And he had nothing to give.

There was just one good thing about the holidays. People threw away a lot of stuff. They usually bought themselves too many things. Too many things to eat, too many things to wear. Too much wrapping paper. Junk was the only thing you could get for free, and if people dumped it under a tree, it's almost like you got a gift, right?

That's why he would play with that idea, just to laugh about it. Whenever he found something interesting, like socks in a decent condition, or a family Christmas shirt that somebody didn't want, he would take them and put them under the willow tree. It wasn't a Fir or a Birch tree, but who cares. A tree is a tree, right?

He would just put them there and laugh. Not out loud, to himself. He didn't know why, but the thought of him actually having something of value under a tree was almost ridiculous.

And this holiday season wasn't any different. It wasn't even Christmas yet, but he had already found a really nice gift box. It was very big, so big he could fit inside it. He didn't think that would be a problem because he never looked for any trouble. That's why he didn't like it when some people started sniffing around his willow tree and looking at his gift box. That's why he looked at them suspiciously when they left some food there. And that's why he hated them the next morning when they put him in a cage.

​They put him in a cage and stuffed him in a car, and dared abduct him into their home. They dared take his very big gift box and put it under a different tree. There was even some food there. They called it dog snacks. And some kind of fuzzy thing that looked like many socks together. They called it a dog bed. And a ball. They called it a toy. And some kind of collar with a name. "They called me Buddy," he thought. What a hideous name. But for once in his life, Buddy had presents under a tree, ones he didn't put there himself. Which meant he had a tree. And he had parents. And he had something to give. Love.

-The story of Buddy, the best dog ever.
      Last edited by Efrat; 12-27-21 at 4:01:27 PM.

myerstl is offline Novice Wizard

• myerstl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Rowan Darkwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cooper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Cheerful

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thank you all for your wonderful stories, and for making me cry boatloads of sappy tears. Lol. Merry Christmas to you all!

BlueflameDragontamer is offline Novice Wizard

• BlueflameDragontamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sierra dragonshield
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Spike
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Rescue Rover

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Ellie stared out at the falling snow. It felt colder without Charlie. The golden retriever had passed away a few weeks ago. He would always sleep in her bed; keeping her warm and comforting her after nightmares, but now... he was gone. She wrote letter after letter to Santa asking him to bring back Charlie, she was very good that year, but still, she felt like she would never be happy without Charlie. "Sweetie?" Her mom had stepped into her room. Lunch is ready, you need to eat before we go see Santa." A thrill of hope warmed her. She could talk to Santa directly this way, he would have to bring Charlie back!

An hour later, she held her mother's hand as they walked into the mall. Soon it was her turn to see Santa, but she found herself feeling nervous; what if he couldn't get her what she wanted? "What is your name?" Santa asked as he helped her hop up to his lap. "I'm Ellie." She said shyly. "Were you a good girl this year?" She nodded. "Wonderful! What would you like for Christmas? Perhaps a painting set?" She shook her head. "I want Charlie back." Santa furrowed his brows. "Who is Charlie?" "Charlie is my dog, he passed away 3 weeks ago, I want him back." A look of sympathy crossed his features. "I'm sorry Charlie had to leave, you really loved him didn't you?" Tears came to her eyes. "Don't you cry, I'm sure Charlie is watching over you right now." She sniffled. "So you can't bring him back?" He gave her a gentle smile. "I'm afraid not, I'm sorry." A few tears rolled down her cheeks and he gave her a little hug. "I know it doesn't seem like it now, but I promise you that you will have a very merry Christmas." A little sparkle twinkled in Santa's eyes as he set Ellie down. "I think you may be surprised what you received for Christmas." He whispered. She didn't look very convinced as they left the mall.

Ellie shuffled back into her room that evening feeling worse than before. Charlie wasn't coming back. She started crying and her mother walked in. "I should have talked to you sooner than this, but Santa was right, Charlie is watching over you right now." "He is?" "Yes, I'm sure he would love to see you if he could. He wouldn't want you sad on Christmas, he loved you too, do you want to know what people and animals who love you do?" "What?" "They encourage you to be stronger and to grow, has Charlie taught you anything?" She thought a moment. "Nightmares aren't real and.... I can do hard things on my own." "Yep, you would go everywhere with Charlie, but you had the courage to go out by yourself. You don't need to forget him, but remember him for what he taught you." She kissed her on the forehead. "Merry Christmas Ellie." Ellie thought about it and decided to try her hardest to remember what happiness her dog brought her. She yawned and climbed into bed. When the clock struck twelve, the sound of sleigh bells could be heard flying overhead as a voice called out, "Merry Christmas!" A gentle warmth filled Ellie's room. Barely awake, Ellie heard a familiar snuffling as she felt a familiar warmth behind her where Charlie used to sleep. Almost feeling Charlie leaning against her. She smiled as pleasant scenes of playing fetch with Charlie filled her dreams. Santa fulfilled his promise, she would have a very happy Christmas indeed.
      Last edited by BlueflameDragontamer; 12-31-21 at 2:00:05 AM. Reason: Change font size

Yumazuka is online now Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It was pretty hard to do this within 600 words, but I think I was able to do it, haha. Thanks for the contest, and good luck to everyone! I ended up with a Word Count of 595.

Christmas Story
      It just doesn’t feel the same. Christmas was always my favorite holiday when growing up, not because of the gifts that ‘Santa Claus’ brought to us, or even the large amounts of food that sometimes made Thanksgiving look depressing, or even the little Christmas specials that I would watch day-in-and-day-out. No, what made Christmas special to me was all the smiling people.
      But, over time, something changed. Something that made Christmas lose its magic to me. Maybe it’s because I’m not living with my parents anymore? I’m in a new city, New York City. Well, it’s not really new if you’ve been here for four years, right? For some reason, ever since I’ve moved here, I never really saw any sort of decorations anywhere. Isn’t that strange?
      Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s just me that feels this way. I can hear tons of people walking around here, jibber-jabbering about whatever tickles their fancy. I guess they’re kind of happy? But, if that was it, why don’t I feel, or see, the Christmas spirit, huh? What’s different? Tell me, what am I missing?!

Gah! This is so frustrating. Maybe I should just go home an- “Ow!” I audibly shouted as I bumped into another, toppling them down with me onto the ground.

“O-Oh!” the old man stammered, scrambling around on the ground, trying to collect the sprawled items into the box he had carried. “I’m so sorry, good sir!” he apologized to me as though it were
      his fault.
      It was my fault, really, not his. I tried to explain it to him, but he just kept refusing me. What a weird guy. But, I had to do something, so I helped the man recover the items into his box. As I was picking up the items, I noticed that these were… They were toys! A whole bunch of them too. Was he maybe giving these away? I could tell that he was fatigued though. It was cold outside, but it had yet to start snowing. No one else around us even bothered to try and help. Some Christmas spirit, huh?
      The poor guy looked so tired, I had to help him. I couldn’t stand seeing him in pain from carrying this heavy box. Through some work, I was able to convince him to let me help him out. And, boy, was this box heavy! I can understand why he looked so tattered.
      But, no matter. Him and I roamed about through street after street, until we were eventually met with a run-down looking home? Why… Why did he come here? “Ho ho ho,” the old man laughed. “Thank you so much for helping me out, youngster. These old bones just aren’t what they used to be!”
      Before I could ask him why we were here, the front door slammed open, a plethora of kids running toward me! “Santa! Santa!” they cheered.
      Santa? They think I’m… And then, as if on cue, snow started to slowly descend from the sky. I was so confused. So very, very confused. But at that moment, I slowly began to notice it, and I mean really notice it… The lights across New York, the Christmas lights! How could I have missed them? I’ve been here for ye- Ahh. Now I get it. Every year, it was always Christmas. Everyone smiled, but the difference was… I wasn’t smiling. Christmas is what you make of it, something I wasn’t doing because I wasn’t home. Heh. That old man… He was the Santa Claus I needed. “Merry Christmas, children! Ho ho ho!”

CelestialMoon is offline W101C Tournament Master

• CelestialMoon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Esmee Fire/Sky/Storm-Blossom, Legendblade, Willoweyes, Mythcaster, Shadow/Legend/Winter-Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  All different kinds

Mood:
      Cheeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

*drum roll*

The results of the writing contest are as follows:

1st Place - Pegasus Unbound
      2nd Place - Efrat
      3rd Place - Cosmos
      4th Place - Titus
      5h Place - Stan914

Allow me to say this. Every year, this contest gets tougher to judge. This year, as I allowed any type of uplifting story to be entered, even if it wasn't W101 related, a refreshing sense of creativity was narrated by some very talented community members. Every entry painted a picture of inspiration, hope, good-will, gratefulness and happiness. These are the very stories needed as we say good bye to 2021 and greet 2022. So for all our authors, thank you for sharing such wonderful stories with us all. If you have not had a chance yet, please take a few minutes to read some or all of these delightful stories.

Warm wishes to all! Happy New Year!!