PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

2021 Winter MONSTRODOME contest

2021 Holiday MONSTROLOGY contest

Welcome to a 2021 Winter Contest

The battle of the MONSTRODOME

This contest looks like it's Arena PvP but don't let the bracket fool you, it's really a fun and unique twist to Monstrology.

The contest is pretty simple - using the a bracket created on the Derby (yes, Derby - it's a real thing!) PvP page, players will be matched up against an opponent to see who can come up with the best Monstrodome match. But there's a twist - nay, MANY twists, because each round will have different requirements for the monsters you can have in your Monstrodome!

Once the contest has been filled and the bracket is all set, I will release the requirements for the 1st round matches. For example, I could say only Monstrology enemies from, say, Zafaria. Or it could be that maybe you can only use Monstrology enemies that are Wyrm. Or...who knows! Just be prepared to put together a unique Monstrodome for each fight.

When you meet up with your opponent you will each have a chance to defeat all Monstrology enemies in your opponent's Monstrodome. The player to defeat the enemies the fastest will advance to the next round.

Simple, no?

Like an Arena or Derby tournament, each round will have limit on how long you will have to meet your opponent. For this reason, if you are traveling for the Holidays or won't be able to be in game very much, please don't join! I will disqualify participants if matches aren't completed in the time limit required so please have a flexible schedule.

Lastly, I'm setting this up as a Derby tournament ONLY to use the bracket - it's easy to track and it does a nice job of setting the field up randomly. Winning this contest will NOT be counted as a PvP Tournament win. But there are prizes - oh boy - PRIZES!

The winner of the contest will have their chose of The Sky City Bundle, or the Blacksmith's Fjord Bundle, or 20K Crowns! There will also be 10K Crowns, 5K Crowns, the Yuletide Parade Truck, the Toboggen Mount, and Yuletide Morning packs as well. Woohoo!

So, go HERE to join the contest and let the best Monstrodome win!

Now that the contest us underway
      here is how things will work.

1. Click on the link above to take a look at the brackets. Reach out to your opponent and set up a time and place to meet to do your match. If this is the first time you've been involved in a tournament, let me know and I can suggest the best way to set up your meet.

2. When you meet up with your opponent, the player on the top of their bracket (Dylan, Flash, Llewella, Ryan) will go FIRST. They will have to port to the house of player on the bottom of their bracket (keston, Rnunez, Jared, ABParadigm) and defeat the monsters in their Monstrodome. After all monsters have been defeated, players will switch to the other person's Monstrodome.

3. The player to defeat the monsters in their opponents monstrodome the fastest will win and advance to the next round.

4. Players cannot adjust their deck once they enter the monstrodome the first time. All adjustments - gear, cards - must be made BEFORE entering the monstrodome. If a player dies, however, they can reset their deck (not the gear) but the clock will still be running

5. Both players will enter the Monstrodome but only the player fighting will join the fight. The owner of the Monstrodome will observe and verify all requirements are met.

6. It is up to both players to keep track of how long the fight lasts. The timer will start as soon as the timer starts counting down at the start of the first round. The timer stops as soon as the last monster has died and the fight resets.

7. After the fight, both players need to confirm "out loud" how long the fight lasts. To be 100% certain, it's advisable to take a screen cap of this conversation in the chat log.

8. The timer continues to run if the player dies and has to reset. This includes time used to reset a deck if a player has died. It ONLY stops when all enemies have been defeated.

9. If the player going second has not yet defeated all enemies in the time that it took the player going first to kill all enemies, the player does not need to finish the fight.

10. The player who loses the match must go to the tournament page and use the "submit loss" option.

11. Players can only flee if they are dead. If a player flees before they are dead - to, say, set their deck - they will forfeit the match.

12. Minions can be used but Monstrology minions must be ones that would be eligible to be used as a monster in the contest.

13. For prizes, here is how final standings will be determined.

1st place - winner of the final match
      2nd place - loser of the final match
      3rd place - player who loses in the semi-finals to the ultimate winner
      4th place - player who loses in the semi-finals to the player who comes in second place.
      5th place - player who loses in the first round to the player who the ultimate winner
      6th place - player who loses in the first round to the player who comes in second place
      7th place - player who loses in the first round to the player who comes in third place
      8th place - player who loses in the first round to the player who comes in forth place

1st place will pick from the list of prizes, then 2nd, then 3rd, and so on. 8th place will get whatever is left.

14. In order to be eligible for a prize, players MUST complete a match! Any player who is disqualified for not showing for a match, or for not responding to their opponent, will not get any prizes.

Please see the tournament thread to see all requirements for your match, including what Monsters will be allowed in the Monstrodome, what spells, etc. To encourage matches be completed as soon as possible, I will message the winners of of the first round matches the requirements for round 2 matches as soon as their results have been submitted.

Round 1 results are due WEDNESDAY, 12/29/21
      Round 2 results are due SUNDAY, 1/2/22

Good luck! If you have a question about anything, please post your question here so others can see the answers.

Casp
      Last edited by Caspeen; 12-30-21 at 11:22:58 PM.

Flash33 is offline Exalted

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: 2021 Winter MONSTRODOME contest

Sounds interesting, and surprising no one's thought of this kind of contest before (from what I've seen). That said if you're gonna use yellow font for the crowns prize I suggest making it darker as it's really hard to tell what it says without squinting or highlighting it.

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
      Sounds interesting, and surprising no one's thought of this kind of contest before (from what I've seen). That said if you're gonna use yellow font for the crowns prize I suggest making it darker as it's really hard to tell what it says without squinting or highlighting it.
      Hahaha, but I WANT it to be gold! Well, better?

If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time I've made this mistake nor is it the first time you've pointed this out to me. ACK!

As I bounced this off a few folks in game I was told that similar Monstrology events are hosted, well, y'know - out THERE - but I don't think it's been done on Central before. We'll see how it goes. My biggest concern was how to ensure that the matches aren't one and done AOE fights, but methinks I've taken that into consideration. After all, I want this to be about MONSTROLOGY and putting together a clever Monstrodome, not about having the most OP set up.

Like I said, I think I've addressed that....we'll see....hope folks will join and give it a whirl!

Casp

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      Hahaha, but I WANT it to be gold! Well, better?
      Much better, thank you, and it's actually the color I was thinking of too.
      If I'm not mistaken this isn't the first time I've made this mistake nor is it the first time you've pointed this out to me. ACK!

Nothing wrong with wanting a specific color, though it is easy to forget that you have to take legibility/readability into account.

As I bounced this off a few folks in game I was told that similar Monstrology events are hosted, well, y'know - out THERE - but I don't think it's been done on Central before. We'll see how it goes. My biggest concern was how to ensure that the matches aren't one and done AOE fights, but methinks I've taken that into consideration. After all, I want this to be about MONSTROLOGY and putting together a clever Monstrodome, not about having the most OP set up.
      Definitely not on central. As for not being one and done AoE fights that'll depend entirely on the dome setup requirements. Speaking of which will teaming up be allowed or is it a strictly solo experience?
      Like I said, I think I've addressed that....we'll see....hope folks will join and give it a whirl!

Casp
      Comments in bold.

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
      Definitely not on central. As for not being one and done AoE fights that'll depend entirely on the dome setup requirements. Speaking of which will teaming up be allowed or is it a strictly solo experience?
      Hadn't thought about teaming up, but no, this is a solo fight. When the two participants meet, both players will be present in the Monstrodome - one competing, the other monitoring. I'll send out the exact sequence of each fight when I send out the requirements for round one but i'll also post everything here on this thread for reference. Things like when does the timer start, when does the timer stop, who goes first, etc.

Good question though!

• Flash33's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Seth Shadowcloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      Hadn't thought about teaming up, but no, this is a solo fight. When the two participants meet, both players will be present in the Monstrodome - one competing, the other monitoring. I'll send out the exact sequence of each fight when I send out the requirements for round one but i'll also post everything here on this thread for reference. Things like when does the timer start, when does the timer stop, who goes first, etc.

Good question though!
      Thanks for answering it. Honestly I only thought about it while I was writing the post and not before. As for the timers since you specifically said that I'm assuming that means this is a speedrun contest in the total time it takes rather than the total rounds it takes, as otherwise people could very easily tie in round amounts.
      Last edited by Flash33; 12-14-21 at 11:16:56 PM.

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Still spots available! Come on, this will be FUN!

And the prizes - OH, the prizes!

Casp

ABParadigm is offline Novice Wizard

• ABParadigm's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angus
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Daisy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Scaly Frillasaur

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This sounds really fun! I always love a good PvE style tournament. I have a friend that might be interested, but I can't seem to find the date of the event. Is there any specific time and day this will be held?
      Deckathalon fan, PVE master. If you have a question about a boss I probably know it.

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ABParadigm View Post
      This sounds really fun! I always love a good PvE style tournament. I have a friend that might be interested, but I can't seem to find the date of the event. Is there any specific time and day this will be held?
      Woohoo!

Actually, the contest will start as soon as we have "enough" to get going. I was probably a tad optimistic hoping for 16 players but if we can get 8 player - only 4 more! - then I'll get the contest underway. So that could be today, or....later.

Like an Arena or Derby tournament, once the brackets are set then players will have X many days to make contact with their opponent and get their match done.

Also, once the contest is under way I will give the requirements for the first round Monstrodomes. As I said in the intro, it could be that only Wyrm can be used, or only Monstrology from Zafaria, or only....you get the idea. As such, don't expect to run into 4 Malistaires from Azteca or any other combination of impossible.

As an incentive to get your matches done as soon as possible, I will give the 2nd round requirements to the players AS they advance which will give those who complete their matches first extra time to prep their next Monstrodome.

Hope this answers your question.

Casp

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I've changed the Contest from 16 to 8 so we need just three (3!) more to get this going.

Monstrology anyone?!

Casp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast