• Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
        Dylan Windwalker is online now Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

What did your Training Point journey looked like?

The game doesn't really teach us how to use training points and we basically have to learn for ourselves what is valuable to learn.

Did you start off with a "Secondary School" in the beginning? Did you mix your training points with multiple schools? Or did you follow a guide that told you specifically what is worth learn? How long did it take you to transition to the current "meta" of using Training Points (Feint, Tower Shield, Spiritual/Elemental Blades, Astral Schools... etc).

Just curious as to how you started off using your training points!

Also for the more experienced players here with one or multiple maxed wizards, how many training points do you have left to use? Would you benefit from more quests that grant training points in the future?

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

KingNothing is offline Legendary Wizard

• KingNothing's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chris Fireheart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Gloomy Eye
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: What did your Training Point journey looked like?

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      At first, there was no plan at all. I didn't understand the spells, how they really worked or anything at all. I was all over the place like a hot rod fishtailing down a country road. Looking back, its embarrassing and sad. LOL. How do you play a game and not do some research into the mechanics of the game? LOL.

Next, I remember trying the second school theory. That was a waste of time (IMO). I actually tried a few schools and it just didn't work for me.

Finally I found a training point guide on Central from @Ryan. Not sure if Ryan is around anymore. He was a really good wizard, but I think he went off to college. I tried to find it again on here, but I could not find it. Maybe others will have some luck. Anyway, I found this extremely helpful in spending my training points and still use it (at least partially) for my new wizards.

Here's the crazy thing though. For my second Death wizard who is about halfway through Krysalis; I currently have 30 training points available to me. I've barely used any at all and I'm doing just fine.

Found it:

Training Points- A basic guide for all schools - Wizard101 Forum and Wizard101 Fansite (wizard101central.com)
      Last edited by KingNothing; 12-3-21 at 11:55:51 AM. Reason: Found Guide
      ďMaybe someday we could become friends. Friends who ride majestic, translucent steeds, shooting flaming arrows across the bridge of Hemdale.Ē

Arwen Mythweaver is offline Initiate Wizard

• Arwen Mythweaver's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alura Frostgiver
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Large Brandy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Frosty Eye

Mood:
      Breezy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      The game doesn't really teach us how to use training points and we basically have to learn for ourselves what is valuable to learn.

Did you start off with a "Secondary School" in the beginning? Did you mix your training points with multiple schools? Or did you follow a guide that told you specifically what is worth learn? How long did it take you to transition to the current "meta" of using Training Points (Feint, Tower Shield, Spiritual/Elemental Blades, Astral Schools... etc).

Also for the more experienced players here with one or multiple maxed wizards, how many training points do you have left to use? Would you benefit from more quests that grant training points in the future?

When I started my first wizard, I knew nothing about training points. Then I read a little bit on the boards (and Google), and decided to go with the Death to Feint, Reshuffle, Elemental blades, etc.. Iím an Ice, so I had Tower Shield for free.

Iím at Level 84 now, so when I got to Celestia I started to ask my friends for their opinions. Each person would give slightly different answers, so I picked the path I thought was best.

Iím coming up to Azteca soon, so Iíll be asking another round of questions and some more reading.

I may have made a couple of choices that Iíll regret for 1 point each. Iím going to wait to see how badly I need them before doing a free buyback.
      Last edited by Arwen Mythweaver; 12-3-21 at 11:59:10 PM. Reason: Formatting
      ~All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us~

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Way back in 2009, the rote was "death to feint, ice to tower." My main wizard was Life, so she didn't need the "life to satyr" part. She trained Balance as a second school, I think because I wanted/liked Sandstorm. Treasure cards were harder to get, so if you wanted a spell to be readily available, you had to train up in that school. To have something unexpected to bring to a battle was nice when facing same-school enemies. AND there wasn't really anything else to train with the points.

Now that treasure cards are pretty much available everywhere, that advice is completely obsolete. I don't think anyone needs to train a secondary school like we did in the early days. When Celestia came out, with the new astral schools, the new advice was "sun and star, moon is useless" so, of course, I trained in the Moon School. It was kind of fun to change into unexpected creatures sometimes.

Nowadays, I don't really even bother with training points for the most part - although, I think I've gotten all of the available accuracy buffs. I think I may have trained Aegis or Indemnity, but I never use it. I am not a skillful deck designer. I change my deck from time to time based on what spells I feel like using, or what someone suggests I add for certain battles.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Torpzun26 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

When I got back into the game after a ~5-year hiatus, I had actually forgotten about training Ice to Tower, Death to Feint, etc. My Myth was out here casting Stormzilla against Unimatus. I also picked up the Polymorph Treant spell. It may not of had any Resist and its static 2500 became worse and worse as I journeyed on throughout the second arc, but I was able to get critical Regenerates on the last turn of the Polymorph that would heal myself for a thousand a tick. This lasted all the way past Azteca where I upgraded it with the Jaguar spell. But the big problem I had with the Jaguar is that it has no 0-pip spells! Its lowest was only two pips (nowadays Brilliant Light is one pip, which helps I guess, but Guiding Light would've still been better). The best I could do was spend like 11 pips for a somewhat decent Rebirth. I don't have those spells anymore.

Got the regular Ice to Tower, Death to Feint, even Life to Satyr if I need to play healer on my Myth. Sun damage enchants, Aegis and Indemnity, Fortify+Brace, Berserk+Frenzy, Stun Block, Empowerment. Then I decided to pick up the dual-school shields from the remaining schools since I had several points leftover.

I'm not too sure if I'll be investing into any of the new ramp spells from the other schools if they become available to PVE. As a Myth I get to turn shields and weaknesses into traps, which will be very useful. Don't have much use for many of the other ones. Maybe Putrefaction for my healing setup since I do use Empowerment for it, so a lack of Death Mastery shouldn't be too big of an issue (but if there were a Life+Death dual-mastery, that'd be neat).
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 12-4-21 at 2:17:03 PM.

WarWeaver is offline Magus Wizard

• WarWeaver's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian SunWeaver
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Incendiary Grimoire

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

When I first played I just spent all my training points in whatever I thought looked cool. It wasn't until I got into Pvp that I started to learn that what I spent them on was less than ideal. Through lots of trial and error I figured out what spells I needed to train(Tower, Reshuffle, etc.). After that, I deleted my character(No way I was buying them back), made a new one, and made sure to spent them wisely this time. Fast forward to today and my highest level wizard has 18 training points left with nothing to really use them on.