Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Let's Talk New Spells

Well since no one has made the thread yet, how are you liking what you've seen of the new Lemuria spells? Damage-wise? Utility-wise? Aesthetics-wise? Yes? No? Hotel? Trivago.

Video for new shadow-enhanced spells:

Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

PlayerNEntered is offline Initiate Wizard

• PlayerNEntered's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Patrick
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Centurion Sydney
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Coldfire Dragon

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Let's Talk New Spells

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
      Well since no one has made the thread yet, how are you liking what you've seen of the new Lemuria spells? Damage-wise? Utility-wise? Aesthetics-wise? Yes? No? Hotel? Trivago.

Video for new shadow-enhanced spells:

The Fire one helped me solo "The Bantman"! It's a cool spell in my book! (and my deck)

I don't like it when people call things impossible, because it usually isn't.
      PlayerN has left

Happy Fun Ball is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The death one is like a suped up obsidian colossus, which is useful. Those weaknesses it leaves look like plagues instead of the typical weakness look, but they're only put on the target and no one else.

edward sky is offline Journeyman Wizard

• edward sky's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Edward sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I might be a picky Naysayer but lately I'm disappointed in the creativity/variety of the spells.

Not in terms of use. Damage or anything like that, but in terms of visuals? I don't like that they're all based the same, old man vibe. I preferred it when they were themed around the world but were still all unique!

It's just boring to me, to expect the same visual or every spell but "just" a bit different theme to fit the school, bring back the worldly designed spells and make them pop!

I wanted futuristic spells, not Old man

OTHERWISE** I think fire looks a little cool, and the life skill is going to be a hottopic for it being another AOE!!!
      Last edited by edward sky; 11-8-21 at 11:43:03 PM.

Edward sky/Life/102/
      And may the odds be ever in your favour.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Post Re: Let's Talk New Spells

Death
      This is a great spell, the double weakness will be useful in PvP and will have greater synergy with the new "Oni" spells!

Storm
      I love the animation and how this spell ties to the Life School, but it's useless. I feel like KingsIsle is overvaluing the HoT, and in this damage meta Storm's other single target spells are just better.

Balance
      As a chess player myself, I especially love the animation here! The spell itself is a solid AoE, though I wonder how useful the Prism Blade will be. I think that this spell might be better if the Prism Blade was applied before the hit, tough I can't be sure.

Fire
      I'm not entirely sure what this new spell does. It'd be quite helpful if KingsIsle explained all of these new icons in-game! But from what I can gleam, it deals 955 Damage after 3 rounds and either boosts a pre-existing DoT or adds damage to it's own DoT..?

Myth
      I'm glad to see some parity between Myth and Fire here. This spell seems to be a bit more situational/PvP orientated, but I can see it being utilized in PvE. It does feel a bit strong in the damage department though. This could be addressed by simply nerfing it, or making damage enchants split 40/60 or even 30/70 in favor to the DoT.

Life
      Yeahh, this spell is a bit underpowered. Absorbs just aren't a great feature to sink one's utility into, especially since they don't scale with your level.

Ice
      A solid AoE that can dish out the pain? Count me in! This spell does deal more than Snowball Barrage at 6 Pips too, so I expect I'll be using it often.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Torpzun26 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Death: Damage in the middle of Winged Sorrow's range, and the double weakness is probably more useful in the cases where you don't kill the boss than a Plague is. An alright upgrade... er, sidegrade? The animation is pretty good, definitely has that good Death feel.

Storm: It's... interesting. But interesting isn't worth cutting almost 400 damage off the spell. I'd love to see the game advance to a state where maybe Storm wizards aren't almost always focused on more more more damage, but until then this spell just is just terrible. As for its animation, I feel like this is an incredible animation, really leans into the spookiness that the Old One is based off of, and if anything is a bit tarnished by the lightning effects.

Balance: Despite the lower damage than Nested Fury, I think that this spell will be good against Elemental enemies. Don't wanna roll the wrong kind of damage and take a -75% damage penalty for it, now. The bonus effect is really cool and interesting but I think that it unfortunately counteracts this spell's role as being a pure Balance shadow AoE. Because you don't wanna roll the wrong prism blade and then your next attack takes a -75% damage penalty.

Its animation is kinda... there. The chess scene is amusing enough but then he gets angry and magic happens for some reason.

Fire: Fire gets a bad spell for once? Wow. It's been years since that last happened. Despite doing more damage than Raging Bull, you have to wait a few rounds (on top of waiting for a Shadow Pip in the first place), and I don't see that being fast enough to warrant using outside of some very specific fights that have multiple bosses with tons of health. And then they could potentially counter the incoming damage with Triage or something and I hope you found a nice corner to cry in if that ever happens.

I like the animation for this. Reminds me a bit of Nautilus Unleashed. I think the Lemur starting a fire at the beginning was totally unnecessary.

Myth: Has the same time problems as Fire, but is still MUCH better off. For starters, it actually does quite a lot of damage immediately. The second being that it's designed to be used against bosses, so there's more time to wait for the second bit of damage before things get awkward. If you're sufficiently bladed, the second hit not being boosted by Everyone's Favorite Spell shouldn't be an issue. You'll almost always want to use Myth Scion instead, but if for some reason you can't then this will be alright. I don't think it will quite replace Baba Yaga though. Maybe if the boss has a lot of health?

I knew from the teaser that the Old One would have an Oh No He's Hot moment, but that was clearly for the Life spell. So I was no expecting for him to have another one here. Anyway, this animation is serviceable. Nice and fast, really cool magic blast with the sword.

Life: It's stronger than Forest Lord, and I believe that's what Life wizards have been wanting for a long, long time. Not by much though, and it does need you to get a Shadow Pip. Secondary effect looks neat on paper: you use this to wipe out minions, then get a nice free blade from your armors. The problem being that spells like Spirit Armor are kinda flimsy, especially at max level, and tend to cost a lot of pips for their flimsiness. The potential is there, we just need Spirit Armor reworked or something.

I think its animation is a lot like the Myth one. It's pretty basic, but the damaging effects look really neat.

Ice: Back when Polaris came out people complained about how Snowball Barrage took way too many pips to be effective. These complaints died down a lot when people realized that Snowball Barrage is in fact the strongest AoE in the game and Ice is built for this sort of spell, but now they get a really strong AoE in case they don't wanna build up all those pips. This seems pretty good.

The animation for this spell is great. Really fun blasty effects and I love how the enemies are actually elevated into the spell.

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

You know, I really like that they fused their running tradition of world-themed spells with the Old One. I thought it was a nice idea. Just don't make a habit of it. Also it could have been a way for the animation team to get some redemption following the unchanging animations of King Artorius all those years ago.

I was going to add my own thoughts on the animations, but Torpzun and I's thoughts align almost exactly. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your comment w/ some of my own commentary

Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      Death: The animation is pretty good, definitely has that good Death feel.
      Properly spooky and fairly straightforward. It's a nice spell.

Storm: As for its animation, I feel like this is an incredible animation, really leans into the spookiness that the Old One is based off of, and if anything is a bit tarnished by the lightning effects.
      Best looking of them all for sure. The theme in combination with the sound design is top notch. His wing clipping through the lamppost adds that extra MMO charm. But an AOE heal. What?

Balance: Its animation is kinda... there. The chess scene is amusing enough but then he gets angry and magic happens for some reason.
      Not really sure what was happening there either. They are playing chess, yeah? Why is the white king off the board? Why are they moving the queens in one square intervals? Why is the black king just chilling next to a white rook while in check? Why did he get mad at the end? Was there a threefold repetition? So many questions. Probably my least favorite animation.

Fire: I like the animation for this. Reminds me a bit of Nautilus Unleashed. I think the Lemur starting a fire at the beginning was totally unnecessary.
      The start was a bit weird, agreed, but this was such a step up from the fiery demonic wasteland or whatever the Karamelle fire spell was. Love the rocket theme.

Myth: I knew from the teaser that the Old One would have an Oh No He's Hot moment, but that was clearly for the Life spell. So I was no expecting for him to have another one here. Anyway, this animation is serviceable. Nice and fast, really cool magic blast with the sword.
      LOL. True. I thought this was going to be a Conan inspired one, but I'm getting flashbacks to little me watching He-Man. Pretty good animation if a bit plain.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 238
Size:  1.09 MB

Life: I think its animation is a lot like the Myth one. It's pretty basic, but the damaging effects look really neat.
      +1. Tarzan is best Zan.

Ice: The animation for this spell is great. Really fun blasty effects and I love how the enemies are actually elevated into the spell.
      The enemies being lifted up into the spell really impressed me as well. I almost wish the background wasn't really a thing though, as I feel it only adds a cramped feeling.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 11-9-21 at 12:54:31 AM.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Dang the Old One s ripped. I hope I'm just as strong looking when other people call ME the Old One Anyhow, does anybody know if the level 150 Decks include 5 Maximum Copies (for spells like Epic, Extraordinary, spells that aren't your school) instead of the 4 Maximum Copies in the Paradox deck? That plays a huge part as to whether or not these spells are going to be part of my main deck or not because if I don't have a Sun Enchant specifically for the New Spell, then I will be less likely to put it in my deck...

here's my take I guess lol

Death: I feel like the Plague stuff is really old now, it's almost as though you can't fight a death wizard without receiving a plague somehow. I would have wished it if was something other than a plague or infection, like there's a third attribute that is resonating with Death wizards that they could do instead. Animation is solid.

Storm: The Heal Over Time is useless yeah. Storm wizards will almost always kill everything they attack, meaning the battle and their turn ends right after their turn ends and thus the heal over time is never played out (and most likely won't last the 3 turns that it is intended because it is unlikely the battle will last that long unless some circumstances like long boss fights). I'd change it to something else but it's difficult to know what since everything has been played up by now, which is probably the reason Ki resorted to HoT and I can't blame them for that. Animation is probably my fav here.

Balance: I agree with @JaredSpellFrost here, the Prism Blade before would definitely make this spell unique. LOL those are some terrible moves considering the pieces on the board but yeah my thoughts the same @Cosmos said. Very weird how they animated the chess game, I think that should have careful reanimation but I do like the concept itself. The Old one playing by himself is such a mood I can relate to

Fire: I'll have to see it first hand to understand what it does. If it actually is adding damage to an already existing Fire DoT, then that I would appreciate a lot since it hasn't been done before (adding extra rounds on a DoT, increasing the damage of it). The Fire Animation is weird lol Like the Old one is already blasting off but then it goes back to burn the enemy before blasting off again? I think it would be better if the animation attacked the enemy during blast off FIRST before having the animation of the Old One in Space, like that would be just animation with no effect after the damage.

Myth: The Delayed DoT is off putting I guess but I'd take it if there really wasn't any other ideas Ki could have done. Delayed Damage is something that boss fights often don't require but it works especially if there are cheats that mean the player can't do damage unless it is a certain interval. Like if there was a cheat where a boss is immune for two turns, a myth could time it perfectly so that the initial hit will damage the boss, and the Delayed damage also hurts the boss without the player doing anything, thus overriding that immunity cheat. But that is very situational... Animation is top-notch....... Sooooooooo RIPPED.

Life: The likelihood of Life wizards having a Absorb Damage is somewhat ok I guess considering Life wizards still use Caterpillar fairly often (I don't though, I use Lamassu and Doggo). Idk whether I'll use this spell personally because the Absorb Damage is often used up by enemy spells before it really could be used up by my life's spell. However this would be useful if it were possible to protect the Absorb Damage or at least more useful... Shadow Seraph combos would be interesting to see since every heal they do places a Spirit Shield which doesn't stack. Animation here is solid too.

Ice: I wish there was something of a secondary effect lol just having solid damage attacks at level 150 is just off putting, you'd think there would be more than just damage at such a high level. But I do appeciate that Ice gets a spell that does a good amount of damage, I just think it could have done more... Animation is pretty nice!

Overall tweaks here and there would be appreciated but overall decent.
      Last edited by Dylan Windwalker; 11-9-21 at 3:46:32 PM.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

BaronvonWolf is offline Magus Wizard

• BaronvonWolf's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Valkoor wildwalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Gizmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Blaze Fox

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

i'm fine with the balance one but the blade convert just seems bad utility wise its a bit like the last utility we got its not not that useful
      Wolf soulstalker 150 Alex nightshade 147 Valkoor Wild 150 Valkoor Wild ​135 Valkoor Myth 130

SeptenaryRavens is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I saw Blaze posted the spells on his channel, all the animations were great, but the ice one blew me out of the park. Seeing the lemurs rise through the trap doors, I was literally wheezing! Couldn't stop laughing. Such a great animation for an ice spell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast