•  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

What changes would you like to see in the Deckathalon?

What changes would you like to see in the Deckathalon?

And I don't mean general complaints like "Why is Balance so much more difficult than any of the other schools?" (Even though it is!)

I mean specific changes like:

1) Dial back on the Augmentation Runes. My wizards are getting 200+ of them per wizard, per event. The long ago max'd out the backpack. Especially since the only thing they can be used for are the various Hands of Fate recipes. It's the Strengthening Runes which are the limiting factor there. Maybe if we could craft Strengthening Runes out of Augmentation and Improvement Runes. I'd gladly have to use 100 AR and 10 IR to craft 1 SR. After all, we can craft Alchemical Crystals out of Alchemical Salt, which can be crafted out of Alchemical Extract. And I don't even care about crafting HofF. It would give me something to use them on instead of just selling them for 25 gold each.

2) Speaking of crafting, how about being able to craft Superior Runes out of Enhanced and regular Runes. Everybody talks about needing to farm the lower levels for runes to craft decks. I'm at the point where, in two schools, I have all the regular runes I need. It's the Superior Runes that are holding me back. I already have level 7 and 8 decks ready to make a level 9 deck, but I need 2 Superior Runes to make it happen.

3) Make the drops more representative of the difficulty. For completing Stage 5, my drop was 57 gold and 2 Balance Runes. I got better drops for completing stage 2. There was one level 2 fight, I don't remember which one, where all I got was gold. No rune of any kind. Having the Superior and Strengthening Runes restricted to the upper levels kind of illustrates this 'better drops for more difficulty,' if only they weren't so rare a drop.

Edit: Final Count: 6 wizards combined for 1045 Augmentation Runes, which all I could do with was to sell them for around 26,000 gold. We get so many of them so that it looks like we're getting good drops (6 AR and some school specific runes for winning a 2.2 battle), I'd rather just get the gold straight up.

And I thought of:

4) Since TC are what the Deckathalon is all about, how about letting us use the shared bank to move TC from one wizard to another instead of having a friend do 2 trades (One to trade the cards to, and then trade them back but to a different wizard). Sort of like using one wizard as a TC Vault, maybe.
      Last edited by sparkyflamefire; 8-17-21 at 12:22:05 PM.

Pegasus Unbound is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Pegasus Unbound's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nathaniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragons and MORE Dragons.

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Cool Re: What changes would you like to see in the Deckathalon?

Good question!

I would like to see the improvement runes a little more accessible or drop from more sources; especially in the early levels. The edge we can get from improved hands of fate can be a huge help for beginners who struggle through the basics.

I am also curious, even the basic hands of fate show a blade as being available, yet I have never seen it show up. Am I missing something?

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: What changes would you like to see in the Deckathalon?

After grinding through a few Deckathalons here are my thoughts on what needs changing:

• Treasure Card Vault. Give it to us, KingsIsle. These events only teach Players to hoard TC, not use them. And as it stands, we have no convenient method of storage. Also, please update the TC Trading interface and severely reduce the price of vendor TC! Adding key Treasure Cards to vendors is another great idea.

• Remove the pet requirement from the Deckathalon, and adjust the difficulty accordingly. For an event advertised as supposedly being "for everyone," the infrastructure required to hatch a suitable Maycast pet is not indicative of this ideal. For being an event centered around Treasure Cards, I've only found myself relying on the Frozen Kraken Willcast and the RNG of maycasts to make it through.

• And lastly, please decrease the difficulty of the Deckathalon, or at the very least offer comprehensive in-game guides on how to succeed. Any successful Deckathalete (Hope I spelled that right) must rely on outside sources to understand this event, which is a glaring shortcoming of it's design.

Thank you for posting this, I hope that the Devs will take notice of our concerns and focus on polishing this event in the near future!

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 8-16-21 at 9:08:00 PM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Happy Fun Ball is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: What changes would you like to see in the Deckathalon?

Besides the TC Vault, the only thing I would like is to go back to the time when there were infinite credits and no leaderboard.

And as for the balance deckathlon, the reason why it's so difficult is because while the balance deck gives you flat resistance to balance damage, it give no protection whatsoever to the off class damage spells like spectral blast and hydra. so, get rid of these two spells (also mana burn) and use samoorai and savage paw instead.
      Last edited by Happy Fun Ball; 8-17-21 at 6:08:46 PM.

sparkyflamefire is offline Adept Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
      Besides the TC Vault, the only thing I would like is togo back to the time when there were infinite credits and no leaderboard.
      I don't particularly like the leaderboard either. No matter how much effort I put into it, I know I'll never make the top top 10, much less get a trophy. And while I once ran from stage 1 all the way to 9.1, it took me over 2 hours for a single run. Even I'm not going to invest that much time 3x/day for 7+ days. But it has always been there. In the very first Deckathalon ever (It was ice), back when it was only 4 stages, my wizard placed 47th on the leaderboard.

Dylan Windwalker is online now Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

@JaredSpellFrost took the words right out of my mouth lol I wish Deckathalon was more versatile towards the community of players that are not very high level nor do they have a certain set of equipment in order to do properly and exceedingly well for (something that PvP essentially requires). This includes not having a specific may cast pet (these players are likely already struggling to make pets focused on Energy or a Damage pet for questing). I think it would help removing the competition element to the Deckathalon or rather make it so there's a division between those that are trying to achieve high on a leaderboard and one where players can just join for the fun of it. Also reducing the reagent requirements will also get more players to participate!

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Holy cow, where to start!

While I too wish that Augmentation runes could be used to craft...well...ANYTHING useful - 100 to 1 Superior Rune, 500 to one Strengthening Rune - I can see why KI wouldn't been keen on increasing the output of those two Runes. After all, they want us to come back again and again so that the Deckathalon can stay relevant for a while and limiting how available these reagents are ensures we'll all be around for a while if we want to craft the best decks and get the best gear. Again, all for it, but KI has reasons to keep these guys rare and I can't see making them more attainable as something they'll be in a rush to do.

That said there are a few changes I would LOVE to see, a few mentioned already and a few more...lets say ambitious...but all doable.

1. GET RID OF THE PET! I know this would be unpopular for all the folks who have put a great deal of effort into making their perfect pet(s) but as someone who has hatched / trained close to 300 pets for these events I would gladly sacrifice all my spent hours into making this event what it should be all about - the DECK! I've posted this many times and people will usual come back with "evidence" to refute it but I really do feel like KI didn't want pets involved in this at all and, in removing all their talents, they "forgot" to account for the maycast talents. Even before WILL CAST talents came out the pet you used was as important, if not more so, than your deck. Madness! It's a DECKathalon, not a DECKANDPETathalon! And then came the WILL CAST pets which completely turned things upside down and made Frozen Kraken a requirement to even get close to the leaderboard.

Having a great pet should not be a factor to success for this event and right now it is - very much so. Even if you minus all the folks cheating right now with an instakill pet, I guarantee that everyone in the top 20, maybe 50, all have a Will Cast pet. ACK! Not only is this a barrier for folks to participate since it adds a huge time burden but I also feel it undermines the intent of the event which was to make it all about deck management.

Get rid of the pet and adjust the difficulty of the fights accordingly. Easy.

2. Make TCs from the Deckathalon gear USEABLE! Again, this feels like an oversight by KI. I know that the gloves are still desirable for stitching because, well, they're kinda fun, but there should be a reason for putting TC cards on that gear and right now there is no purpose whatsoever. I can see KI expanding the gear line up to include helmets, robes, boots, etc which I think would be a terrible idea, but if they did, at least put TC's on the gear and make them usable!

3. Redo the Apex Wolfen Spear. OK, this is pretty minor, but as much as I hated the school spears you could craft, the Apex Wolfen Spear is a disaster. It doesn't change colors like the Ultimate Gloves and it simply looks like a swollen Ice spear. What the heck! I feel like such a fool for crafting this - wish I could get my 7 school spears back.

4. Make a Leaderboard mode and a Practice mode. This subject came up a lot when this event went from unlimited credits to 3 per day and it makes so much sense! Leaderboard mode - 3 credits (or, better yet, 1 credit!) and all your points count towards the leaderboard. Practice mode - unlimited credits! Use this mode to collect runes and to practice a particular fight so you can come up with a strategy. You won't collect event or scroll points but you can farm all you want.

5. Do something about the event specific Champion Badges. I'm all for rare badges - 1000 Medulla? If you're insane, why not. 1000 mobs in Karamelle - horrible grind, but OK. 100 Fight Club - ouch, but bring it on. But a badge that only ONE person can attain once a month? Not only that, but just to make the top 10 is insane - to actually WIN? Crazy hard. Again, rare is good, but I do believe that badges should be achievable by everyone and these 7 badges are not.

6. Fix the walk out glitch on after the third fight. The Deckathalon has had a few glitches since it came out but for whatever reason this one persists from when it was first released. If you beat the third fight of any level (1.3, 2.3, 3.3 etc) and you walk out the exit, there is no prompt to warn you that you will quite the tower. If you flee - yes. If you walk out after any other fight - yes. But after the 3rd flight of each floor - nope. You walk out and your credit is over. I've fallen victim to this a few times, usually because I stop to see what recipes I can buy from Kara Runewright and don't notice that I've been turned around.
      @sparkyflamefire mentioned this in the most recent thread for the Balance Deckathalon that just ended today, to which @Sparck had this to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparck View Post
      Thanks, I sent it to the team to add a report to fix. Sounds like an issue.
      Again, been a part of the Deckathalon since it first came out so quite amazing it's never been addressed.

7. Hold all the Deckathalons at the same time. This is probably the most ambitious idea but I think it's brilliant. The full details were posted by @overtaker9 in THIS thread (his brilliant idea) but the gist is this - hold all events at once and let players pick which one they want to participate in. Once they pick, they're locked in to THAT Deckathalon. Why I like this is because as it is now it's the same 10 names on just about every leaderboard. As these players get their Deckath-elite badges they'll be replaced by the next 10, and the next. However, if all 7 events were held at the same time and you had to pick just one, then there would be 7 leaderboards instead of just one ensuring MUCH more diversity.

8. Get rid of the leaderboard. Much like the idea of making Superior runes and Strenthening runes easier to acquire I can see why KI wouldn't want to do this. As it is right now the Deckathalon is geared to the competitive players out there and aside from the rare items and badges you can get, the leaderboard is a great way to demonstrate to everyone just how competitive you really are. That's great but such competition also has some very negative aspects. For one, the number of hours it takes to be in the top 10 right now is horrific. Yes, it's not as bad as the first one, so for that I applaud KI for implementing the 3 credit limit, but even still, without using an instakill pet, a one credit run can take up to two hours. Times 24 credits - holy moly, that's 2 solid days of playing time over 8 days, or 1/4 of your time. How can THAT be healthy?! And then of course there's the other darkside of extreme competition which pushes some players to abandon any shred of sportsmanship and resort to dodgy tactics (taking advantage of Dungeon Recall (shame on you KI!)) or flat out cheating (the aforementioned instakill pet).

No leaderboard, a lot of this goes away. The uber-competitive won't be happy but the majority of the players will rejoice.

Aside from that, the only other change I'd like to see is for KI to give Derby more attention. That's completely unrelated to this thread of course, but I can't go an entire post and not mention Derby can I?

Casp
      Last edited by Caspeen; 8-17-21 at 8:33:17 PM.

numbly1980 is offline Adept Wizard

Mood:
      Relaxed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

go back to the community progress bars KI should not have stopped it