Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Returning to Wizards

Hi everyone!

I haven't played W101 in years. I started playing around the Celestia release and was full on addicted during the Azteca-Khrysalis phases. I stopped playing altogether once Empyrea came out (2017). I used to love the game. It's a crux of my childhood.

I'm looking to get back into the game to relive childhood nostagia and go back through the worlds. I'm a bit intimidated though and was wondering what big changes there are. I think there's a new world? What is the best gear in the game? How have pets changed?

Also, what's the community like? It was pretty big when I started playing and felt massive in 2013-2014. I feel like I remember it drying out by the time i stopped playing.

Thanks! I'm excited to be back!
      Blaze Swiftsword 125 - Justin Spritegiver 120 - Kane Soul 115 - Hunter Shadowrider 90 - Connor Legend 70 -Jack 60

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Returning to Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by EpicProportions View Post
      Hi everyone!

I haven't played W101 in years. I started playing around the Celestia release and was full on addicted during the Azteca-Khrysalis phases. I stopped playing altogether once Empyrea came out (2017). I used to love the game. It's a crux of my childhood.

I'm looking to get back into the game to relive childhood nostagia and go back through the worlds. I'm a bit intimidated though and was wondering what big changes there are. I think there's a new world? What is the best gear in the game? How have pets changed?

Also, what's the community like? It was pretty big when I started playing and felt massive in 2013-2014. I feel like I remember it drying out by the time i stopped playing.

Thanks! I'm excited to be back!
      Yes, there is a new world, and pets are getting more powerful with May Casts and Will Cast Talents. Big change to how Critical hits work, as well.

The community is getting older, I think - same as you - so you might find more adults and fewer kids as you are questing the higher worlds. It's not as crowded as it used to be, so if you want to run into other people, stay in the crowded realms.

How exciting to be adventuring again -- good luck!

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The social aspect of wiz is something that draws a lot of players in- in ways other mainstream games cannot replicate effectively in their platform. The Friendly Players option, Friend Chat, and the current test realm update is certainly trying to amplify the ability for players to communicate with one another or at least make it easier for groups of friends to interact. That's the best part of the game.

I hope you enjoy your return

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Kokyota is offline Adept Wizard

• Kokyota's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Iridian, Neela, Jaz, Jr, Sari
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Way too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Crazy Creatures

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Welcome back.

Charles Lifetamer is offline Magus Wizard

• Charles Lifetamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Charles Stormtamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Milo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Scaly Frillasaur

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

First of all, welcome back! Even though there's only one new world since you've left, there's been huge additions to content. Wizard City graphics has been completely revamped, there's a new area in Wizard City, there are upcoming questline changes to Wizard City as well, and there's a new world as you mentioned.

The best gear right now (for PvE) is a mix of a lot of things! If you have the Darkmoor robe, you can probably still use it for most schools, but for some schools, there's a better robe that drops from a gold skeleton key boss in Empyrea (Corporal Tenni'syn). The best hat and boots right now are crafted—most people use the Dragoon set, which are crafted using reagents found in the Wizard City Drains (a new area). Amulet is Dragoon as well for the set bonus (another new thing). As for the athame, most people still use Morganthe, Darkmoor, or Aphrodite. Most people will use rings that are actually auctionable now; the level 138 rings are pretty popular. A more balanced approach would be the level 140 Karamelle ring (crafted or dropped, they're both the same).

Wands are from packs; most popular is from the Primeval Hoard pack, but some will use the level 140 wands since they're free. If you use the Primeval wand, make sure to match your pet with the set to get the set bonus. If not, don't use the Dragoon amulet—stay with the Shane von Shane one.

There isn't much of a difference with decks. Level 130 and level 140 (Paradox & Uber) decks hardly have any difference between them, and level 138 decks are about the same, but auctionable. I will say that instead of the Uber decks, use the level 140 crafted decks, since they have the same stats, but with triangle sockets.

Pets! Quite a bit has changed with the way combat works, so many pets may need to be updated if you want to be the "best." You should totally be able to get by with any old pets though. I know that most people now use quint damage pets with Mighty to get a 4/4/7/7/11 setup.

Quick rundown on how combat works: critical has become super different, so as long as you keep above 650 critical, you should have a 90% chance to hit a critical with any mob. There's no way to hit 100% anymore; the cap is 95%. The multiplier on that will vary from about 1.5x-2x depending on the mob's block and your critical; I keep mine around 700. Damage isn't quite the same past 150% anymore, and the gains will start to slow down. For example, my 192 damage actually translates to 174%.

The community definitely has gotten a lot older and relatively less active compared to the early '10s. Now, the most active parts of the community are on various social media and on forums like this one.

Basically, the "best" gear for PvE in terms of hitting would be Dragoon hat, boots, and amulet, Primeval wand and pet (pet with quint + mighty), Corporal Tenni'syn robe OR Malistaire robe, Aphrodite/Yevgeny/Morganthe athame, level 138 Director/Executive ring, and Paradox/140 crafted deck. For PvP or a more balanced playstyle, that's outside of my purview, so if anyone else has experience with that, they can probably help you more.

Apologies for the long-winded post, welcome back again to Wiz, and good luck with your questing and farming!