•  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Opinions on new spells?

I can't figure out why Level 45 -- it sure seems like way too high a level for these spells.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Starbreaker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Starbreaker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Gabriel Shadow blade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MarleyBone
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  N/a

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      I can't figure out why Level 45 -- it sure seems like way too high a level for these spells.

While they could of worked some spells in sooner. I think they choose 45 to be even across the board but some spell could of been sooner while other would be very powerful if they were given sooner risking op spells.

Torpzun26 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post

Inferno Salamander makes sense to learn in the 40s because you learn Helephant at 42. Same with Monster Mash.

I would agree on the Myth Golem enchantment buuuuut after seeing its Spellement path, there will be a huge problem with this spell if you can use it in PVP before the Level 48 AoE spells.

Obsidian Colossus could be brought down to the 30s, being a 5-pip spell. Plus, it would give you a small window where it would be useful in PVE before you get the significantly better Judgment.

The Ice and Storm spells could definitely be learned in the 20s, I think.

Given that Life learns Unicorn at Level 7, I guess this means that they could lower the requirement for Sprite Swarm to also be somewhere close to that. Maybe in the high teens, lower 20s, since you do have to learn Sprite first and learn about overtime mechanics.

Happy Fun Ball is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Monster Mash:
      I'm disappointed that there is no Beguile effect on this spell, but I suppose that'd be a bit OP. That said, I do love the effect of an extra hit if the enemy has a Negative Charm! This will offer dynamic utility in PvP, and because the initial hit is greater it could be useful in PvE too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      I am ecstatic to see Beastmoon-style conditional bonuses coming to the base game, so Monster Mash looks really neat to me! Idk if it's a double hit or just a bigger hit should the condition be fulfilled, but it's still really cool that this is happening!
      This is a single hit spell, but becomes a stronger hit if the target has a debuff of any kind (like weakness, but also includes infections, dispels, and mantles). Damage enchantments will fully increase only the first part of the attack, so 520 + 190 becomes 820 + 190 using an epic or tc colossal. If it was a double hit like minotaur, it would split that amount. A full hit will do 710 damage in a single unenchanted hit (instead of 520). On tier 5, that goes to 850 (instead of 625).
      Last edited by Happy Fun Ball; 7-6-21 at 6:50:03 PM.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Wished FrostFeather, Obsidian Colossus, Thunderman, and Sprite Swarm had their own animations (aside from color tweaks). There's nothing special about the original spells now if Ki keeps making these low-effort hybrid spells. Like a new player will be like what's so special about Ice Colossus, that would baffle a long time older player who's used to that spell having an original animation for many years. It doesn't even have to be very different but legit the movement of the animation is copy of the original spell. What if the Thunderman produced striked of static instead of slashing the enemy the same way Evil Snowman does, or if FrostFeather also fanned the player with sharp icicle feathers instead of copying the same beam attack as Phoenix? Is that too much for you Ki?

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

WarWeaver is offline Adept Wizard

• WarWeaver's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian SunWeaver
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Incendiary Grimoire

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      A Pip Conversion Life could easily abuse this spell if they used it consecutively. Since it gives more health overall than Pigsie and Unicorn, you need only spam a few of these and you're set!
      Maybe, but I just don't see it. If it's team Pve then Unicorn just looks like the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
      This spell can be broken in pvp tbh
      Attachment 648082
      Attachment 648083

This minion only generate threat only. With the new threat system you can spam this minion so your forcing your oppenent to attack your minion. This is great against all schools except death. The only draw back is the fact it work as a minion enchant that can clog your deck up. This is major myth buff with you can get your deck working right.
      I didn't notice it had a spellement path before so it can certainly be very good but I wouldn't say broken. After all, there is nothing stopping your opponent from hitting both you and the minion with a Aoe.

KieranCaster is offline Magus Wizard

• KieranCaster's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  KieranCaster
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Constable Millie - The Critical Pet!
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ornery Kookaburra

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Well, I think it's a good start, but needs work.

ICE: If Ratbeard is trying to "remove the offensive tempo from Ice", providing an opportunity to Buff is not aligned with that thinking. The after affect should be something aligned with Ice's weak nature, if KI truly want to bring the schools back to their early identity.

I give this spell a 5/10 for casting a bubble.

STORM: This spell affect is for an offensive school, and fits well with Storm. But why use an Iconic Ice picture when there are so many other Storm related pictures that can be used? (This tells you how messed up the Ice spell is. The alleged "weak school" get the same buff as the alleged "strong school".)

I give this spell a 9/10 only because there is an Iconic Ice picture.

FIRE: Hmm. An expensive Overtime with no after affect. Fire Wyvern at 4 pips has more value and is a better choice. Burning Rampage has been in the repair shop for a long time, and could be made into at 5 pip 70 initial and 700 damage over 3 rounds spell. I don't see the value here of an initial hit of 200 which costs two (2) more pips than Fire Wyvern.

Here are my thoughts: Bring the Salamander down to 100 initial hit and change it to four (4) pips. OR, keep the Inferno Salamander the way it is, and add an after affect: A 10% weakness for each round of overtime. But the way it is, Inferno Salamandar doesn't provide good value.

I give this overtime spell a 4/10. This is like getting your big brother's shoes to wear as new shoes. Fire could use something more innovative like an overtime with an added affect as suggested above.

DEATH: The unusual school has another unusual spell, but I LOVE it. Cast a zero pip infection or weakness, and get an extra 190 damage with a follow up Monster Mash. (Did I read this one right??)
      I give this a 10/10 for innovation and execution.

MYTH: Not really liking this one much. This affair Myth has with Minions is quite the legend. Here is a great opportunity for Myth to have a Smart Minion that provides minions of their own. Let the minion cast a minion. This will separate Myth minions from all other school minions.
      I give this one a 4/10.

LIFE: A less expensive Pigsie that provides more health than Pigsie at a lower pip cost. OK. As long as it's available for low level PVP, then this spell will be a hit, and may be the spell that brings back team PVP.
      I give this a 9/10
      BALANCE: This appears in line with the adjusted value for Loremaster. However, Ob Colossus is begging for Solar Surge to make it respectable.

I give this spell a 8/10.
      Overall good job by the Kings Isle Group. Especially if they make all the changes I suggest.

Eric Stormbringer is offline Wizard101 US Faculty

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Woot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      Wished FrostFeather, Obsidian Colossus, Thunderman, and Sprite Swarm had their own animations (aside from color tweaks). There's nothing special about the original spells now if Ki keeps making these low-effort hybrid spells. Like a new player will be like what's so special about Ice Colossus, that would baffle a long time older player who's used to that spell having an original animation for many years. It doesn't even have to be very different but legit the movement of the animation is copy of the original spell. What if the Thunderman produced striked of static instead of slashing the enemy the same way Evil Snowman does, or if FrostFeather also fanned the player with sharp icicle feathers instead of copying the same beam attack as Phoenix? Is that too much for you Ki?
      I can partially answer this. One of our initiatives as Devs is to create spells to fill gaps in school abilities. One of my personal goals is to create so many trainable spells that it would be virtually impossible to fit all of them in your deck. A quick example: my hope is to eventually allow 2 storm wizards the ability to play entirely differently (if they so choose) based on their spell choices.

In order to do this without overtaxing our art department (who are involved in not only spell creation but also world, npcs, pets, fish etc), we can use already existing animations to give schools interesting mechanics in fun ways. Hence part of the reason you are seeing spells that exist/existed in one form or the other being retooled and rebalanced to fit the effects we want to give. This allows us to vastly expedite the spell creation pipeline- we're only halfway through the year and each school has already received 3 new spells!

Not to worry though, uniquely animated spells will continue to release/be released on par with our usual schedule of once per level cap/world. The aforementioned "trainable tc" spells are in addition to those, not a replacement.
      Last edited by Eric Stormbringer; 7-6-21 at 8:47:09 PM.

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

Dylan Windwalker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer, Lucas LightBright
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      I can partially answer this. One of our initiatives as Devs is to create spells to fill gaps in school abilities. One of my personal goals is to create so many trainable spells that it would be virtually impossible to fit all of them in your deck. A quick example: my hope is to eventually allow 2 storm wizards the ability to play entirely differently (if they so choose) based on their spell choices.

In order to do this without overtaxing our art department (who are involved in not only spell creation but also world, npcs, pets, fish etc), we can use already existing animations to give schools interesting mechanics in fun ways. Hence part of the reason you are seeing spells that exist/existed in one form or the other being retooled and rebalanced to fit the effects we want to give. This allows us to vastly expedite the spell creation pipeline- we're only halfway through the year and each school has already received 3 new spells!

Not to worry though, uniquely animated spells will continue to release/be released on par with our usual schedule of once per level cap/world. The aforementioned "trainable tc" spells are in addition to those, not a replacement.
      I'm at least thankful that the new spells we learn during this test realm aren't stuck as random tc spells that only a few players can utiliize considering whether they have the tc in the first place. Keeping them as tc is also a waste of a perfectly functioning animation and now that they're trainable, perhaps more players will use these spells than had they stayed tc (like prior to the test realm) and thats less wasteful.

I look forward to what the level cap/world spells will be and very thankful for the devs for putting in the work for other things. You didn't have to let these spells be trainable as it's not essential for a player to progress through the game, but Ki did it anyways.

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Starbreaker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Starbreaker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Gabriel Shadow blade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MarleyBone
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  N/a

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by KieranCaster View Post
      Well, I think it's a good start, but needs work.

ICE: If Ratbeard is trying to "remove the offensive tempo from Ice", providing an opportunity to Buff is not aligned with that thinking. The after affect should be something aligned with Ice's weak nature, if KI truly want to bring the schools back to their early identity.

I give this spell a 5/10 for casting a bubble.

This was to give all schools the ability to hit and bubble. Having a hit and bubble can change the tempo for any school whenever it done after someone perceived that they won the bubble war.

FIRE: Hmm. An expensive Overtime with no after affect. Fire Wyvern at 4 pips has more value and is a better choice. Burning Rampage has been in the repair shop for a long time, and could be made into at 5 pip 70 initial and 700 damage over 3 rounds spell. I don't see the value here of an initial hit of 200 which costs two (2) more pips than Fire Wyvern.

Here are my thoughts: Bring the Salamander down to 100 initial hit and change it to four (4) pips. OR, keep the Inferno Salamander the way it is, and add an after affect: A 10% weakness for each round of overtime. But the way it is, Inferno Salamandar doesn't provide good value.

I give this overtime spell a 4/10. This is like getting your big brother's shoes to wear as new shoes. Fire could use something more innovative like an overtime with an added affect as suggested above.

It doesn't require pip conserve which is a bonus. It not expensive at all when you consider the only single dot spell fire has is elf that not XPiP and this spell stronger then helephant. Also note this spell does have spell path making about as strong as fire dragon. It really comes down to how easy it is to upgrade these spells which no one knows yet.

DEATH: The unusual school has another unusual spell, but I LOVE it. Cast a zero pip infection or weakness, and get an extra 190 damage with a follow up Monster Mash. (Did I read this one right??)
      I give this a 10/10 for innovation and execution.

Add any negetive charm and the 190 damage is added to the base damage but it is only one hit.

MYTH: Not really liking this one much. This affair Myth has with Minions is quite the legend. Here is a great opportunity for Myth to have a Smart Minion that provides minions of their own. Let the minion cast a minion. This will separate Myth minions from all other school minions.
      I give this one a 4/10.

Upgraded this spell can cause major disruptions in the arena as the minion health tops out over 700 which mean you have to either pack aoe's just in case fighting a myth as this minion is spamable at 0 pips. The only downside to this enchant is that it takes up deck space but this is definiately a step in the right direction for myth as now the can making buffing,defensive, or healing types that only does one thing making minion more useful as now there working with a wizard vs against them.

LIFE: A less expensive Pigsie that provides more health than Pigsie at a lower pip cost. OK. As long as it's available for low level PVP, then this spell will be a hit, and may be the spell that brings back team PVP.
      I give this a 9/10

Heal over times add value to solid heals and when done correctly make like heal more effective as you not pressured into single heal situation without having follow up.
      Overall good job by the Kings Isle Group. Especially if they make all the changes I suggest.
      Comments in bold.
      Last edited by Starbreaker; 7-6-21 at 10:04:54 PM. Reason: Added Xpip comment

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast