Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta Developer Diary

From the Wizard101 website, @Ratbeard posted:

Since our Spring Update – aptly titled “Meta Mayhem” – we’ve been gathering player feedback: both feedback vocalized, and the unspoken feedback in terms of how you’re playing (or not playing) PvP at the moment.

These items now sit at the top of our list: Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta. ...

See the full Developer's Diary here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/devdi...asts-meta-2021
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Torpzun26 is online now Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta Developer Diary

Just gonna copy-paste what I said in the other thread.

Still excited for the Taunt/Pacify rework! This is gonna make the Minotaur and Water Elemental minions stronger in Deckathalon. Plus, I can use Subdue on my Monstrology Solo runs of bosses to greater effect!

Each school is gonna get another new trainable spell! It'll most likely only be good for PVP but it's still exciting to train new spells.

Important: 5th age PVP will retire Arena tickets. Make sure you spend as many of them you can before they become useless! I'm not sure what I'll be buying with the ones I've been getting via Daily Assignments. Participation Trophies could be a good idea but I think I have enough of those. Maybe Titanium?
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 6-23-21 at 2:15:43 PM.

ChoGath is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta Developer Diary

Quote Originally Posted by AluraMist View Post
      From the Wizard101 website, @Ratbeard posted:

Since our Spring Update – aptly titled “Meta Mayhem” – we’ve been gathering player feedback: both feedback vocalized, and the unspoken feedback in terms of how you’re playing (or not playing) PvP at the moment.

These items now sit at the top of our list: Matchmaking, Maycasts, and the Meta. ...

See the full Developer's Diary here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/devdi...asts-meta-2021
      I'm excited to see this well developed roadmap said out loud. Lot's of good stuff here and I was encouraged by all of the items mentioned: Matchmaking, Maycasts, Meta: Slow Pace / Shield Spam, etc.

I was super excited to see this said about "newbies", since this directly addresses my long running concern for the currently horrible 1st 20 game "newbie" experience:
      We do intend, and are still exploring options, to open up 5th Age PvP in some fashion to Free to Play players. However, we have concerns about the quality of players this will bring into the 5th Age, both in terms of “unearned” rank farming from unskilled players as well as possible issues around boosting. Most importantly, because PvP is still very much “under construction,” we have concerns about ushering players into an unpleasant experience. But there are some really good reasons to get players into PVP now – mostly to improve matchmaking, but also to widen our pool of feedback to include those players we’d like to win over for 5th Age.
      Making the new player PvP experience a fun thing to do is so critical, in my eyes. Winning back the new players into PvP is a win for everyone.

The one think NOT addressed in this Dev Blog was the issue around equipment, specifically the key PvP gear sets of Commander/Duelist - Waterworks - ZigZag - Darkmoor. Obtaining these armor sets are critical to being able to win/improve in the PvP Metas for Wizards at those levels. The grinding for any of these sets can be insane and doesn't translate into the next level's Meta, which causes another round of frustrating grinding. Honestly, the best answer would be a properly scaled extension of the Duelist gear into the 60-70-80-90+ levels. The (relatively) balanced Commander / Duelist gear has always been the go-to gear for wizards <= L50. Having a similarly balanced, PvP only set for the 60-70-80-90+ levels would help out the newbies at those levels, too.

I strongly suggest dropping RANK requirements for PvP gear and spells. Rank requirements for key gear and spells simply makes another barrier to Newbies, preventing them from being competitive.