•  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Why Is Everything White..?

A few days ago when I was watching Blaze Lifehammer's video on the new Life school spells, I noticed that the Life school spells for Regenerate, Triage, and Fairy were all white! This sparked me to dig a bit deeper, and similar spells such as Judgement, Availing Hands, and Immolate were all white too!

Here is a complete list of spells that feature humanoids that are all white:

• Fairy/Pixie
      • Triage
      • Mass Triage
      • Sprite/Sprite minion
      • Seraph
      • Satyr
      • Regenerate
      • Sacred Charge

• Winged Sorrow

• Cyclops
      • Minotaur/Minotaur minion
      • Baba Yaga

• Helping/Availing Hands
      • Judgement

• Storm Lord
      • Sirens

• Fire Elf?
      • Immolate
      • Scorching Scimitars?

I'm not blaming KingsIsle for these design choices, after all half of these spells were made in 2008! However, it should be a simple hue shift to make the skin tone of these spells more neutral and inclusive, which isn't more than a days work (In theory). I'm not usually for small, purely cosmetic changes such as theses, but I feel that such a symbolic change is important, now more than ever.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Oxnhorse is online now Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Why Is Everything White..?

In light of such protest groups as Black Lives Matter, it would be a sad state of affairs if KI is doing this to prove they aren't racist, even though this is a computer game and not in the public eye, like a fireman or police officer.

KI is destroying a game to make it more inclusive, so maybe changing the cards to white is part of destroying the 7 schools in order to make one?

If so, the record number of people that have joined since 2008, will end up having a stampede of players looking for the Spiral door that leads away from W101.

And if this is the final act of W101 it was a fun ride while it lasted, luckily I have opened every area with crowns, so when someone newer then Gamigo has tried to revitalize W101 from the ashes, crowns players can continue on with the game.

Oxnhorse

JaredSpellFrost is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Why Is Everything White..?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      In light of such protest groups as Black Lives Matter, it would be a sad state of affairs if KI is doing this to prove they aren't racist, even though this is a computer game and not in the public eye, like a fireman or police officer.
      Making spell animations more diverse definitely won't mark KingsIsle as anti-racist, but it's a start.

Torpzun26 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Given that Mirage was based off of Arabian culture, I'm pretty sure Scorching Scimitars features a Middle Eastern person. Judgment could arguably be Egyptian given the themes of Krokotopia.

It's a bit difficult to think of human races in Wizard101 because of the large cast of humanoid animals, but the small group of humanoids in the game is definitely very white. There are a few exceptions like the Storm Elf and irrelevant shopkeepers.

One thing I really want is for Kingsisle to release more worlds to represent a wider diversity of cultures. There's a huge amount of worlds based off of European Cultures: Polaris, Dragonspyre kinda, Aquila, Grizzleheim Karamelle. Cool Ranch, Monquista and Valencia too if you wanna include worlds from Pirate101. The UK even gets two worlds! Marleybone and Avalon! Maybe you could possibly include Wysteria in that as well since it's based off a work of fiction that situates itself in the UK.

Meanwhile, worlds based off of cultures in other parts of... well, this world, are noticeably lacking. Africa only has Krokotopia and Zafaria for the entirety of the continent. The same amount of representation as The United Kingdom. Mooshu covers the entirety of East Asian cultures, despite there being *checks notes* more than one culture there. Nothing for Southeast Asia, nothing for India (Rafaj being merely mentioned doesn't really count, I'm afraid), 1-2 for all of the Native American civilizations that existed (Azteca and Cool Ranch to an extent).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed (most) of these worlds, but there's a lot of interesting world ideas out there that aren't in Europe.
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 4-16-21 at 8:33:53 PM.

Robobot1747 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Robobot1747's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane WildThief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Vaden
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Trolling

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post

KI is destroying a game to make it more inclusive, so maybe changing the cards to white is part of destroying the 7 schools in order to make one?

If so, the record number of people that have joined since 2008, will end up having a stampede of players looking for the Spiral door that leads away from W101.

And if this is the final act of W101 it was a fun ride while it lasted, luckily I have opened every area with crowns, so when someone newer then Gamigo has tried to revitalize W101 from the ashes, crowns players can continue on with the game.

Oxnhorse
      Is this a bad take on the spell audits, or just garden-variety racist complaints? I personally don't give Spider's eldest's hindquarters about the skin colors one way or the other. The US is around 15% black, so a little more representation is perfectly fine. Just pick two or three of those spells and do the palette swap. You'll probably get people who complain about virtue signaling but you'll get people complaining either way.
      "Fire can be quenched. Storms can dissipate. Myths can simply be forgotten. But Death... Death is constant. Death has existed long before you came to be and it will exist long after it takes you."

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Why Is Everything White..?

Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      One thing I really want is for Kingsisle to release more worlds to represent a wider diversity of cultures. There's a huge amount of worlds based off of European Cultures: Polaris, Dragonspyre kinda, Aquila, Grizzleheim Karamelle. Cool Ranch, Monquista and Valencia too if you wanna include worlds from Pirate101. The UK even gets two worlds! Marleybone and Avalon! Maybe you could possibly include Wysteria in that as well since it's based off a work of fiction that situates itself in the UK.
      I like this idea, though creating worlds based off of more diverse cultures does raise concerns of cultural appropriation. From what I've learned, as long as such creations are respectful of the cultures they are inspired from and include people from said culture, then and only then is it acceptable (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I've had thoughts culminating about cultural appropriation in video games for some time now, and I have to wonder whether worlds like Krokotopia, Zafaria, and Azteca either pay tribute to their respective cultures or if they play off of harmful stereotypes. It's been so long since I quested through these worlds that it's hard to tell, but I have a feeling that I won't like the answer.

Torpzun26 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      I like this idea, though creating worlds based off of more diverse cultures does raise concerns of cultural appropriation. From what I've learned, as long as such creations are respectful of the cultures they are inspired from and include people from said culture, then and only then is it acceptable (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I've had thoughts culminating about cultural appropriation in video games for some time now, and I have to wonder whether worlds like Krokotopia, Zafaria, and Azteca either pay tribute to their respective cultures or if they play off of harmful stereotypes. It's been so long since I quested through these worlds that it's hard to tell, but I have a feeling that I won't like the answer.

This is definitely a valid concern, and when creating these worlds KI should absolutely listen to the voices of the people their worlds will be representing, even hire some to help write out the story and world. I see plenty of people offering to do this sort of stuff on Twitter, so it shouldn't be a hassle to find these people.

As for whether or not the current worlds are respective to the cultures they represent, I don't exactly know either. There is this thread that points out some pretty bad stuff about Zafaria, and I'm rather uneasy with Mooshu's population being farm animals (as much as I understand that their intention was to make a bunch of puns rather than saying anything bad about Asian people).

Cosmos is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Cosmos's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Colin Willowwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Grizzleheim
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Oh goody. One of these threads again...

Quote Originally Posted by Robobot1747 View Post
      Is this a bad take on the spell audits, or just garden-variety racist complaints? I personally don't give Spider's eldest's hindquarters about the skin colors one way or the other. The US is around 15% black, so a little more representation is perfectly fine. Just pick two or three of those spells and do the palette swap. You'll probably get people who complain about virtue signaling but you'll get people complaining either way.
      Hello. Yes, that's me. I think this idea is absolute pants. And I find your post a bit strange because I agree with what you wrote here:

I personally don't give Spider's eldest's hindquarters about the skin colors one way or the other.
      So I'm curious as to how you ended up with the conclusion to just go ahead and switch some skin tones around. Sorry, but that is one of the most token of token things I have ever heard. And that's ultimately my issue with it. It is an insultingly token gesture to try and prove virtue to... who exactly? Does this benefit someone in someway? Anyone?

I would like to think that most of the people playing this game in their free time are mature enough to have the mindset I quoted from you and not get caught up on a non-issue that is quite literally skin deep.
      Last edited by Cosmos; 4-16-21 at 10:08:06 PM.
      Come back alive. It'd be an awfully empty galaxy without you. - Garrus Vakarian // I also write my own stuff ~

Oxnhorse is online now Magus Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robobot1747 View Post
      Actually, its not a racist comment I made, but a point on how you view things in life. Plus, it goes a long way in explaining why everything must be equal, by destroying individuality in the game.

Games like W101 and P101 are FANTASY GAMES, not real life. The reason that is has drawn over 11M players all over the world, is because people seek TO ESCAPE reality.

The shattered worlds that have their individual identities across the Spiral are fun takes on the nations of Earth set in a fantasy setting. And many of us like noting the distinctive references with animals representing people.

In another thread that JaredSpellFrost and I are in, there are nearly 16 pages on why many of us think the nerfing of everything in W101 gameplay is a really stupid idea, and unless you have been a part of the thread, you might get the wrong impression about it.

This white-out of spell cards is another instance if that knee-jerk nerfing I mentioned. It would be completely stupid in making all the schools the same, to keep 7 individual schools, so the white cards might be a transitioning into a single school so no one is left out.

It may seem silly, but if KI does merge everyone into a single school, it would kill the game.

And in the same vein, Central considers some words that I might use for fun and normal everyday life, as being curse words. I'm not a racist person, but I have proven others that have accused me of being racist, that they were the true racist, and it was truly funny when they realized the situation they were in, and I did it with a smile which really irritated people.

Oxnhorse

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Arrow Re: Why Is Everything White..?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
      So I'm curious as to how you ended up with the conclusion to just go ahead and switch some skin tones around. Sorry, but that is one of the most token of token things I have ever heard. And that's ultimately my issue with it. It is an insultingly token gesture to try and prove virtue to... who exactly? Does this benefit someone in someway? Anyone?
      Switching around the skin color of a few spells won't solve much in the grand scheme of things, but as the saying goes, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." And it should be fairly easy to make these spells more representative, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
      I would like to think that most of the people playing this game in their free time are mature enough to have the mindset I quoted from you and not get caught up on a non-issue that is quite literally skin deep.
      That mindset actually has a name- colorblindness. Colorblindness is a system of beliefs in which a person's race is ignored (Or rather, minimized) in an attempt to appear as somebody who isn't racist. However, this is problematic because it essentially ignores a core part of many people's identities, and is detrimental for addressing problems people of color face. After all, how can we solve the many, multifaceted problems of racism if we never acknowledge people's race?
      Even though our skin color is only skin deep, the obstacles people of color are still facing because of their race run much deeper.

Colorblindness is one thing I definitely have struggled and am still grappling with in my life, I'll admit. Confronting my privilege to not notice just how white Wizard101 is uncomfortable, but America didn't travel to the moon because it was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      As for whether or not the current worlds are respective to the cultures they represent, I don't exactly know either. There is this thread that points out some pretty bad stuff about Zafaria, and I'm rather uneasy with Mooshu's population being farm animals (as much as I understand that their intention was to make a bunch of puns rather than saying anything bad about Asian people).
      Thank you for linking that thread! After skimming through it, I have a few comments:

-Please don't say "colored"- this is an outdated and offensive term. People of color and BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, & People Of Color) are much more acceptable. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, just wanted to make that clear!

-The Native American headdress Harvest Hannah sells and the wand Jacki Whisperwind's bow are definitely examples of cultural appropriation in Wizard101.

-Cool Ranch in Pirate101 appropriates from Native American and Hispanic cultures. There is also quite a lot of gear in Pirate featuring Native American imagery (Not sure if "imagery is the right word to use here).

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 4-16-21 at 10:38:42 PM. Reason: Added section, fixed some wording

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast